Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gary Lockwood and Keir Dullea

I got to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey on Thursday night and I was captivated by these two men.

They were both so handsome. Gary Lockwood is more my type, but Keir Dullea was very good looking, as well.

Surprisingly, they're both still alive at 85.

I assume they're both straight, because both were married numerous times.

But were there ever any same-sex tryst rumors about them?

The thought of just the two of them alone in space for months at a time, got my mind wandering.

Of course, HAL9000 was probably watching. But still, men have needs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2022 7:46 PM

Gary Lockwood in those white shorts and white socks and white tennis shoes... omg.

That really was a sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2022 1:56 PM

Gary Lockwood reminds me a lot of Jared Padalecki, who I also have a huge crush on.

So go figure that they're both Polish, with the same type of nose (which I love).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2022 1:57 PM

Gary was also in the very first episode of Star Trek.

The guy is Science Fiction ROYALTY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2022 1:58 PM

Keir looks like he would have fit right in with the 1970's CASTRO crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2022 2:00 PM

Def check out Gary Lockwood in the original Star Trek’s (second) pilot, ‘Where no man has gone before’. I’d certainly have gone there….

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2022 2:02 PM

I absolutely love the name Keir Dullea.

And he was no slouch in the looks department, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2022 2:05 PM

Gary Lockwood did some physique (posing strap) photos early in his career, as many guys who went on to be quite well known did. I used to have some of them but I've lost them over the years.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2022 2:05 PM

Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2022 2:06 PM

Check out Keir's teeth, though.

I hope he got them fixed.

He was only 31 or 32 at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2022 2:06 PM

[quote] Gary Lockwood did some physique (posing strap) photos early in his career, as many guys who went on to be quite well known did.

I just read his Wiki page, and it said he's 6'2 and used to play football for UCLA.

Damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2022 2:08 PM

Beautiful photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2022 2:08 PM

He was in the 1969 film Model Shop. Easily one of the hottest actor of the 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2022 2:09 PM

See?

He really does look like Jared Padalecki in that photo at R12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2022 2:13 PM

Gary and Keir still show up at conventions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2022 2:16 PM

Keir Dullea is beautiful, more my type than Gary. And 2001 is an awesome film too, one of the greats

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2022 2:26 PM

Gary (on the left) in a shower scene from Splendor In The Grass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2022 2:26 PM

I was watching Keir and Gary being interviewed by Alec Baldwin and Alec was really smitten by Gary running in those shorts and the scene where he is in those shorts but shirtless talking to his parents. Looks like Alec was as thrilled as I was.

One of my great theater going regrets was not going to see Keir and Ashley in Cat. I don't know why I missed it but everyone who saw it said it was definitive. I did go to see him in Doubles and unfortunately he was pretty shy when he had to change so one saw very little of his beautiful self. I did bring my 2001 souvenir book for him to sign at the stage door. I didn't want to impose so I chickened out. Little did I know at that point he was going to as many of the celebrations of the film that he could and I'm sure he would not have felt imposed upon.

Stefanie Powers(has DL decided if she is a bitch or not?) was married to Lockwood and was with him during the shoot of the film so she watched it being made which must have been thrilling.

The actor who voiced HAL brilliantly(do they give Oscars for voices?) had no interaction with the actors. They were responding to some AD with a thick British accent I believe. Anyway this actor hated the experience of working with Kubrick (post dubbing HAL because Kubrick couldn't decide on a voice)so much he thought of it as some kind of joke and never went to see the film. He had a long career I think dying a couple of years ago annoyed by his association with the film.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2022 3:10 PM

Gary Lockwood jogging scene from A Space Odyssey 2001

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2022 3:43 PM

Gary was hot as Toots…who sniffed after Deenie (after Warren Beatty was done with her) in Splendor in the Grass. That movie was brimming with fuckable lunks, including Sean Garrison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2022 3:48 PM

did you know that the special effects in 2001, were done with models against a black background........and NOT with CGI..........??????????

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2022 3:52 PM

And, yet, r20, those FX look better than CGI.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2022 3:53 PM

r21..........some of the very best special effects in the history of film.........entire history..........agree............

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2022 3:57 PM

"2001: A Space Odyssey" remastered at Skywalker Ranch, on 4K-Ultra-HD-Bluray with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.........buy it.....absolutely stunning in every way.........

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2022 4:02 PM

Lockwood was open-minded. An old friend said he had sex with him way back, and the friend wasn't usually a fabulist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2022 4:16 PM

Gary and I've seen Model Shop (1969) is rather run of the mill looking. A decently attractive guy in his prime. See Keir with Liz Ashley in a fairly explicit scene in Paperback Hero 1973.

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2022 4:18 PM

R23 I purchased the mastered 4k just a few months ago. It is almost as good as watching it in a 70mm movie theater.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2022 5:26 PM

Stef & Gary...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2022 5:31 PM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2022 5:33 PM

I saw it first as a boy when it came to suburban theaters. It was a packed Sat mat filled with boys and it was not the space adventure we wanted. We were all hooting and hollering at all the dumb things that were happening on screen that made absolutely no sense.

I saw it many years later at the Rivoli theater on Broadway in super panavision 70 on its large curved screen with a spectacular sound system and it certainly was one of the greatest cinema experiences I've ever had in terms of film and venue. I had pretty much forgotten the film so I was shocked to see what happened at the very end of the first half and just when I realized what was happening the theater's screen curtains slowly and ominously started to close. It was chilling. I haven't seen it since though I bought the 4k. I kind of want to preserve that great memory.

by Anonymousreply 29April 8, 2022 5:48 PM

What happens in orbit stays in orbit.

by Anonymousreply 30April 8, 2022 5:54 PM

Here's a 1965 unsold sitcom Sally & Sam starring Gary Lockwood & Cynthia Pepper. You can see Gary and 1965 NYC in all their beauty.

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2022 6:11 PM

Sorry, forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2022 6:12 PM

I always thought this would be a great Halloween costume...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2022 6:13 PM

Gary also played the villain in several episodes of "Barnaby Jones." I swear he was on there at least once per season.

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2022 6:30 PM

The film's Wikipedia page is a good read; has lots of interesting BTS info about the production:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2022 6:32 PM

Are we sure that neither of these men has engaged in the homosex?

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2022 10:55 PM

I love upturned noses.

Kevin Bacon has one too, and I think he's hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2022 11:48 PM

They both took it up the butt

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2022 1:34 AM

Well they're actors so I could well imagine their sexuality is fluid.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2022 3:08 AM

Gary Lockwood starred with then-girlfriend Tuesday Weld in an episode of "Bus Stop" called "Cherie" (1961).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2022 4:40 AM

Dullea was still playing a young guy (college age) in the original Black Christmas, when he was 38. It's surprising how well he gets by with it. When I was watching that, I knew he must be somewhat older than his love interest, Olivia Hussey, but I wouldn't have said they were 15 years apart. Maybe the character's hippie hair helps.

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2022 5:27 AM

Is Stefanie Powers wearing Bea Arthur's wedding dress from "The Golden Girls" in the photo at R28?

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2022 6:00 AM

I'm sad that Lockwood hasn't been able to keep is boyish figure. But Dullea either has excellent genes or works hard to stay healthy as he's still trim.

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2022 3:27 PM

R43 Past the age of 40 carbs are not your friend, especially for those who are predisposed to retaining weight.

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote] I'm sad that Lockwood hasn't been able to keep is boyish figure.

Honey, he's eighty-five.

You need to get a life.

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2022 5:02 PM

That's no excuse for not looking 35.

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2022 5:12 PM

Dullea was hot as hell on Broadway in PS Your Cat is Dead with the late Tony Musante.

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote] Honey, he's eighty-five.

[quote] That's no excuse for not looking 35.

I believe that's the Datalounge motto.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2022 8:22 PM

Keir was hired for Guiding Light and barely lasted 13 weeks (if that). He couldn't hack the pace.

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2022 8:25 PM

Most 85-year-olds aren't obese like Gary. A little flabby, maybe. But for the most part, people who were fat in middle age slim down in old age. Among other things, food just doesn't taste as good to them anymore, so they eat much less.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2022 9:09 PM

Oh for fuck's sake: I doubt he cares much what he looks like at age 85.

Some of you are insanely narcissistic. Everything in the universe does not exist just to please you.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2022 9:14 PM

Criticising 85 year olds for not still being hot is hilarious. At that age you’d just be glad you’re still alive.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2022 9:42 AM

When most people get older they have to be more careful with their calorie intake or they'll gain weigh easily. The metabolism slows and the rate at which we break down food decreases by 10% each decade after age 20, so by the 80s your metabolism has slowed by 60%. And for most, physical activity decreases drastically and they don't burn off as many calories as they did earlier in life. Most old people, if they're eating the same amount of calories they were eating when they were in their 30s/40s are going to get fat.

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2022 10:55 AM

It's on TCM now. I remember, back when it first came out....I saw it in a theater. To see this on a big screen was an experience, but not being particularly science minded...I found it a little boring back then. In 1968, I can imagine the stoners and druggies watching this and having a good or bad trip. The special effects are wild ...really outstanding at the time, and even now. I appreciate this so much more...and understand the technology much better....though we are not as advanced as that movie predicted in 2001 and beyond. It really is Kubrick's masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2022 5:51 PM

The music is perfect for the movie, too..

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2022 5:52 PM

Oops...I don't need to say this, but talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey..lol. I really I got off the original track of OP's post.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2022 5:55 PM

[quote]The actor who voiced HAL brilliantly(do they give Oscars for voices?) had no interaction with the actors. They were responding to some AD with a thick British accent I believe. Anyway this actor hated the experience of working with Kubrick (post dubbing HAL because Kubrick couldn't decide on a voice)so much he thought of it as some kind of joke and never went to see the film. He had a long career I think dying a couple of years ago annoyed by his association with the film.

The actor's name was Douglas Rain. Apparently, he was well known and respected as a classical actor in Canada, and he hated the fact that the one thing he was famous for was voicing Hal in 2001. Stupid actor.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]Gary Lockwood starred with then-girlfriend Tuesday Weld in an episode of "Bus Stop" called "Cherie" (1961).

Wow, I had no idea there was a TV series based on the William Inge play BUS STOP. Looks like it lasted only one season but 26 episodes! And although Bo is a major character in the play, it looks like Lockwood as Bo was in only one episode of the series. Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2022 6:13 PM

Somewhat like Alec Guiness who got to the point where if a child went up to him to talk to Obi Wan Kenobi he would make the child cry.

There's no queen like a British queen.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2022 6:23 PM

Yeah, I was sad when I heard that about Guinness. What a fool.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2022 6:24 PM

Lockwood was a very attractive man and his day, moderately handsome but radiating a casual sexiness and a bit of a sense of fun that made him immensely appealing.

Dullea, on the other hand, I've always found deeply unappealing. Rat face, balding head, chilly uptight personality. The opposite of sexy.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2022 6:35 PM

Keir Dullea is attractive in a delicate pretty boy way that almost renders him sexless to me. Lockwood is hot in a more subtle "average Joe" sort of way, which I tend to find a lot sexier. He looks like he could really lay pipe in the bedroom. There is something too dainty about Dullea; Lockwood has a more stern demeanor and seems more masculine—a sexy chest in his prime, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2022 6:37 PM

In movie, Bunny Lake Is Missing....I thought Carol Lynley and Keir Dullea really looked like brother and sister. I know they're not related....but they share similar facial features.

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote]Dullea, on the other hand, I've always found deeply unappealing. Rat face, balding head, chilly uptight personality. The opposite of sexy.

He was never "balding," he just had a very high hair line throughout his life. It looks to me like his hair line is still pretty much where it always was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2022 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!