Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Skin Care: Retinol - Serum or Cream?

What do you use/prefer and why? I'm browsing Amazon right now and would love it if you could recommend a good choice for an oily skin. I want mine to shine like Mr. Nicolas Fairford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2023 4:52 PM

Nicholas is using filters in that pic. Or is that redundant? Look at his lips, look closely at his face, if you dare. He looks like a baby alien. With lovely shoes.

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2022 9:07 PM

Serum is more effective. Just don’t forget to moisturize.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Skin Care: Retinol - Serum or Cream?

Anal douche.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2022 9:19 PM

Is there a good drug store item for tightening eyes bags? Preferably a house brand made by a manufacturer who makes them post a disclaimer that it's not "the real thing."

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2022 9:24 PM

R4, you can use Retin A cream for eyes, but first you MUST mix it with a really good moisturizer.

Most people cannot tolerate it on its own. I mix it with Nivea.

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2022 9:39 PM

Retin-a. You can buy generic (tretinoin) online in the US with no Rx needed. I’ve used it for years. Just start with the lowest concentration on dry (not damp) skin. Wait 20 minutes, then apply a coat of CeraVe cream for moisturizer. Go to sleep. And always wear sunscreen!

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2022 10:22 PM

A link would have been helpful R6.

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2022 11:31 PM

Retin A will eventually destroy your skin and in the end you will look even shittier than ever before.

Moisturizer and petroleum jelly are enough. And drink lot of water and avoid sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2022 11:34 PM

Please don’t buy your skincare from Amazon. It’s often fake and/or expired.

The Ordinary’s Retinol in Squalane or Granactive Retinoid 2% are great and affordable options which you can find on their site, Ulta, and Ulta x Target.

Retinol only works on pH neutral skin, so don’t use any skincare with acids (including Vit C) in the same routine or you’ll undo its effectiveness. Apply a good moisturizer afterwards (I like Murad’s water gel), and always wear a sunscreen in your morning routine once you add a retinol to your skincare.

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2022 11:46 PM

I’ve ordered from here at least 6 times. Product has never been expired and always arrives within 5 days. And, most important, it’s the actual product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2022 1:43 AM

^^Love, R6

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2022 1:44 AM

More importantly, what does Fairford use to make his bussy lips so pillowy soft?

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2022 1:46 AM

OP here. Is moisturizer a must after applying the Retinol? I have oily skin and moisturizer gives me acne breakout. I've always avoided it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2022 1:47 AM

R13/OP: absolutely. You must use a moisturizer. And, unless you know what you’re doing, don’t just slather on Retin-a and some moisturizer and think it’ll all work overnight. It won’t. It takes time and patience and common sense. Research before using. It can also burn your skin if you use too much.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote] Retin-a. You can buy generic (tretinoin) online in the US with no Rx needed.

You can?? Since when? I’m going to get some immediately if that’s the case.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2022 1:57 AM

R15: see the link at R:10

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2022 2:03 AM

I’ve been using Olay Regenerist retinol Max 24 serum at night and their Vitamin C +peptide serum in the morning since Thanksgiving. It’s really changed my skin tone and firmness. I noticed a big change after about 6 weeks.

Take the advice here with a grain of salt because everyone reacts to products differently. Some can tolerate daily Retin-A straight up without irritation. Some can’t use it without a moisturizer. Some can’t use it at all.

The Doctorly channel has really great advice (and Dr. Maxfield is hot AF).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote] [R15]: see the link at R:10

Thanks, r16. But that site only has retinols, not Tretinoin. The wiki says you still need a prescription for Tretinoin/Retin-A in the US, which was my understanding as well. If anyone has a link proving otherwise, I’d love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2022 2:12 AM

R18: I know what it says…but what you receive is Rx tretinoin in the strength/formula you order.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2022 2:21 AM

It’s like their “CP eyelash enhancer”. It’s actually generic Latisse. I’ve ordered it many times. They just can’t say “Hey! It’s an Rx!” on the webpage.

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Thanks for the rec, R17. I just started using the Regenerist as my very first moisturiser (I’m 50 but look 35, I SWEAR, because I have oily skin and have always avoided the sun! Really!😆)

It’s really light and not oily at all, which is nice for a grease monster like me. I’ll add the vitamin C serum!

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2022 2:35 AM

ah… R21 - I’ve been using the Regenerist cream, I mean - not serum.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2022 2:36 AM

I get Retin A online from alldaychemist .

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2022 2:48 AM

R21 here… of the oily skin. It’s very important to use a sunscreen, but if you have oily skin like me it’s not easy to find something that works.

for my body i just use hawaiian tropic sheer touch because it’s cheap and smells the best of the cheapies (i have yet to find a sunscreen that really captures my childhood late ‘70s beloved scent of coconut tanning oil and cigarettes, the sound of transistor radios playing ‘70s hits, and the feeling of riding in the back of a ‘60s volkswagen bug while reading mad and cracked magazines during a heatwave with relentless sun. still, that’s a pretty specific ask, i guess 🤔) - if anyone has a recommendation of a really coconutty sunscreen, i’d love to know!

the best face sunscreen i’ve found for us oily greaseballs is Anthelios Ultra Fluid 50+ SPF facial sunscreen by La Roche-Posay. it’s so light and no -greasy you don’t even feel it!

(this is the canadian site, but whatever.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2022 5:21 AM

Generic, cheap Retin-A gel (same as for Acne) and Visionnaire serum by Lancôme. I'm rarely using a cream, but purchased the Visionnaire cream as well. This product has a nice light clean scent like a men's fragrance, despite being marketed to the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2022 8:16 PM

R24 That's what I use, and it's excellent. I do use a bit less than we're all told however, and rarely re-apply.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2022 8:39 PM

[quote] Visionnaire serum by Lancôme.

I love this stuff, r25. But I found it has no lasting effects for me. When I use it, my skin tone looks great. When I run out or don’t put it on, not so great. It feels more like makeup than a skin treatment…but I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2022 8:57 PM

Well it certainly starts with an S but the words not spelt serum...if you get my drift??

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2022 9:01 PM

R27 It claims to correct texture, or multiple problems. I think all of these only provide temporary results, as Retin-A is like this as well. I wish they would develop a unisex eau de toilette, or cologne with this scent. I ditched my aftershave balm (Nivea sensitive) for the product, and it feels better to me. I don't really have wrinkles, but do have large pores, and this stuff definitely makes my face look and feel great.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2022 9:05 PM

R25 / r29 YES! I love how the visionnaire seems to make my pores disappear. That’s exactly what I was talking about. I think it has something to do with the shimmer in it.

I had a colleague who used to be a Lancôme lady, and she got me hooked. Bienfait or Hydra Zen are thé only moisturizers I’ll ever use. I love the scent as well.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2022 9:56 PM

Retinol. Tretinoin or Adapalene. Nonsense to the ignoramus who says it destroys skin. I've used it since 1986.

Why do you people buy over the counter retinol? Isn't it covered by insurance?

Plus moisturizer every night. Hyaluronic acid in the morning after face rinse. Then sunscreen. If you are getting older, why not a sunscreen with tint or BB creme with sunblock.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2022 10:21 PM

Is it safe to use on super/dry and dehydrated thin 30-year old skin, that has previous damage? I was on oral isotretinoin fir a few years as a teen, and it really damaged and weakened my skin as well as my general health, so I'm gunshy with retin- products. But I'm starting to get the first hints of lines and sag, so I think I need it.

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2023 8:48 PM

Jar of cold cream. Worse case, valeline.

by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2023 8:50 PM

Here's another source for tretinoin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2023 8:54 PM

InHouse Pharmacy is another good source.

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2023 8:56 PM

Differin, another retinoid. is available OTC in the 0.1% strength.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2023 9:01 PM

Doubt retinol does much—the concentration is too weak because it doesn’t need an RX.

you need Retin-A (or similar, less stringent meds) for any results,

That said, there’s controversy even on the Dermatology world if Retin A does much

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2023 9:06 PM

[Quote] Why do you people buy over the counter retinol? Isn't it covered by insurance?

Many insurances won’t cover it because they know you’re using it for wrinkles

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2023 9:07 PM

Is that Bobby Trendy's bastard daughter?

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2023 10:03 PM

Does anyone have experience with the No 7 product line? I'm toying with buying it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2023 2:05 AM

I love these threads, I always learn a lot.

I just recently self-diagnosed with eczema, it’s obviously what I have. I figured this out because my skin had a massive reaction to my strong tretinoin gel after maybe one year. I actually developed a skin infection and it’s because I broke down the skin’s protective moisturie-barrier. I spent hundreds on different products during this episode, trying to get my skin to heal (took six+ weeks). It was a nightmare. And what kicked it off was when I washed my face with CeraVe SA!!! Just because it’s made by Cetaphil or CeraVe doesn’t mean it can’t be harsh was there lesson for me.

I now am using all eczema-safe products, and I’m trying to see if my skin could handle the tretinoin just once a week. It’s pretty scary, I had to go on antibiotics to heal. I am also moving more toward Korean skin care because they don’t believe in a scorched earth approach to skin. It’s about being super gentle, your products should make skin look healthy without constant peeling and flaking. I’m learning the Korean 7 Skin Method. Is it just a fad, will it fade away? I don’t know. I can only tell you that the products that are making my skin happiest right now are more Korean than anything else.

If you have sensitive skin, I would not recommend tretinoin. You are sensitive if you battle redness, peeling skin, dandruff you can’t beat, occasional weird rashes.

If anyone needs my products list, I’m happy to share. I’m actually trying to eat GF and using a “leaky gut” diet because our stomach’s microbiome impacts our skin. This is also why the number one thing you can do for your skin is to hydrate, and eat a nutritious diet that is mainly fresh produce. Heal from the inside out.

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2023 3:46 AM

7 Skin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2023 3:49 AM

R41 yes please drop products you use! My skin is exactly as you describe with redness and flakes and dryness and soreness, and I fucked it up in my teens & 20s with harsh abrasive skincare (all people knew how to do back then!)

One product I have noticed that works nicely for moisture and cleansing is propolis (honey) balm. So gentle and nourishing.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2023 7:43 AM

R41 and R43 you might like to try Goat's milk soap for Eczema. It's used a lot on children's sensitive skin in Australia and New Zealand. Good Luck.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2023 7:56 AM

I believe we ash our faces way way too much. Stop soaping and scrubbing and creaming.

Dove soap and an SPF lotion in the day works perfectly

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2023 10:42 AM

R41, one of the theories behind skin diseases is that we wash too much, getting rid of good bacteria.

Have you tried not washing at all and see what it does to your eczema?

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2023 10:44 AM

Whomever suggested mixing retin A with moisturizer and put it on your eyelids is not giving good advice. Do not put px retin A around your eyes, no matter how diluted it is.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2023 10:09 AM

r47 - use the beauty of joseon retinal eye serum

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2023 8:14 AM

hylamide subq serum is an alternative to retinols, the chemistry retin a oil is the best product for evening out the skin tone of the body, they are 50% off at he moment. Buy them right now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2023 8:18 AM

Eczema and similar conditions - sulfur based products, when things start to get ashy, while most can't stand the smell, it's long been recommended and if you cruise in the woods, it reduces ticks and chiggers.

I've known many that rave about yiganerjing cream for bad outbreaks.

but as to OP, I'd recommend just treating themselves to a spa day at least once a month that includes a mild peel (you can buy various acids online but you have to do the research for your own needs. remember to keep baking soda handy.). or use a budget glossy primer and/or any metallic/crystal/reflective makeup. . .

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2023 8:37 AM

R13- the isntree hyaluronic acid gel cream is good for the oily skin. Most moisturisers broke me out but this does not. The cosrx snail cream is the best for quickening the healing period of fresh or active acne scars

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2023 8:55 AM

R51 can the snail mucin affect old scars?

by Anonymousreply 52February 25, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] I've known many that rave about yiganerjing cream for bad outbreaks.

R50 that product contains a steroid, just so people know.

by Anonymousreply 53February 25, 2023 10:48 PM

Buy Strivectin products directly from their website. I use the following:

Strivectin - peptight tightening & brightening serum

Strivectin - Super shrink pore minimizing serum

Strivectin - SD Advanced plus intensive moisturizing concentrate

Strivectin - Peptight 360 tightening eye serum

Strivectin - Super C dark circle brightening eye serum

Strivectin- TL advanced tightening neck cream plus

Strivectin - Peptight tightening neck serum roller

Strivectin -multi-action blue rescue clay renewal mask

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2023 10:58 PM

smashcut to R54 looking like a Skeksis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2023 11:06 PM

I do the basics and stay out of the sun, but don’t want to over-treat my skin and feminize it. The creepy pink doll face look can be disturbing. I like to look healthy, but look like myself and not glossy or shiny.

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2023 11:08 PM

Nicolas uses lard he stores in a Harvey Nichols bag.

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2023 11:15 PM

I'm not sure retinol is particularly effective and I'm not sure all the skins can tolerate Retin-A.

In terms of potency you have retinol (many brands) < retinaldehyde (Avene) < adapalene (Differin) < retinoic acid aka tretinoin (Retin-A).

In terms of tolerability this is the reverse order: retinoic acid < adapalene < retinaldehyde < retinol.

You have to use spf 50+ at all times when you use products with retinol or derivates. My dermatologist tells to restrict their use to October to March, which is what I do.

by Anonymousreply 58February 25, 2023 11:18 PM

Use Strivectin! They use their patented NIA-114 formula that has been proven in actual clinical studies to work!

by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2023 11:27 PM

Tretinoin (retin a) OP. You will need a rx in the US, I buy mine at alldaychemist, it is much cheaper.

You will definitely need to moisturize with it, I usually put moisturizer first, then the tretinoin, and protect sensitive skin like your neck or chest with moisturizer, if any tretinoin gets on unprotected thinner skin it will irritate it. My skin looks very good. I have been told by my derm that there is no point in starting with the higher strength, after a year of use you will have achieved your max result whether you start low or high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2023 12:49 AM

Strivectin has so much fragrance in their stuff, no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2023 2:46 PM

R61 none of the Strivectin products I buy have fragrance

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2023 3:37 PM

R61 is probably the street sleeper who swears by generic petroleum jelly

by Anonymousreply 63February 26, 2023 3:38 PM

Nah, I use Retin A, Sunday Riley, and 1000 Korean and/or Japanese products. I also laser the crap out of my face, no need for fillers or botox.

by Anonymousreply 64February 26, 2023 6:49 PM

R64 is a fancy bitch, splashing her cash on Sunday Riley

by Anonymousreply 65February 26, 2023 6:50 PM

Damn straight, r65. But I tend to buy SR after major holidays when they have a gift sets on sale.

by Anonymousreply 66February 26, 2023 6:54 PM

I have been using adapalene gel for several years and it has really changed my skin for the better. I haven’t had your run of the mill breakouts for years, but I do get blackheads on my nose which I loathe, and using adapalene has really helped. Differin is the name brand, but most drugstores now have their own versions which are cheaper and work the same. Just make sure to use a moisturizer on your face after using it, especially early on, because it can cause your skin to get very dry and flaky at first.

by Anonymousreply 67February 26, 2023 6:57 PM

Genetics and not working a day in your life, as in the case of trans woman in spe Nicola Fairyfortress

by Anonymousreply 68February 26, 2023 8:24 PM

R67 is totally right. It is one level up from Tretonin. I use Tazorac which is like retina a on steroids. Most people can't use it but I got my skin acclimated to it, it's like doing a mini chemical peel. At first the dr. told me to put on a pea sized amount and wash it off after a half hour. I just put it on at night now. If I forget a few weeks or skip b/c I am in the sun, and then apply my skin is peeling a ton for a few days. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 69February 26, 2023 8:31 PM

I’m r41, responding to r43. Here is my current eczema-safe routine.

I wash with Avéne Milk Cleanser — this changed my life. I had a violent skin *infection* over holidays from daily high-strength Retin-A (though I believe in it, my skin couldn’t handle it).

Then on my t-zone I use Celimax Daily Barrier Creamy Toner which is loaded with ceramides and prevents the incessant flakes. It also looks white/milky.

In the morning, I use cheapie InstaSkincare Hyalauronic Acid, then Skinceuticals Silymarin CF (unless my skin is inflammed). I’ve tried other Skinceuticals, but their L-absorbics are the only thing I think is worth the ridiculous price tag. At night, I’m trying a lower dose Retin-A in cream form, which I always mix with hyalauronic acid, only once per week or less. Their L-asorbics will also heal your skin, both from acne scars, sun spots/freckles, and other discolorations.

For both morning/night, I then apply a niacinamide, I use several brands that lean cheap, like Naturium Serum 12% Plus Zinc 2%. For moisturizer, Aveeno saved my life after my skin infection, Aveeno Eczema Therapy Rescue Relief Treatment Gel Cream (their Calm & Restore GelCreams and Serums are also in my arsenal and helped me heal). Always use niacimide, twice per day!

Last but not least, I top off with Seoul Ceuticals Multi-Function All-in-One Anti-aging Snail Repair Cream, usually both morning and night. This adds a subtle shift, but it really does make a difference for my skin, my flakes have stopped, my pores are slightly tighter, and my sebaceous filaments are much much better than before.

Because I can’t tolerate Retin-A much, I also rotate my night routine with Mandelic Acid and Azelaic Acid. I’ll use less expensive lines like BAHA, The Ordinary, etc.

Oh!!! And I can’t believe I forgot, but once or twice per week, I “slug” using Aquaphor Healing Ointment, never on my t-zone, not on my cheeks, forehead, neck and chest. I also shave my face and do dermaplaning regularly.

I make sure to apply all products to my entire décolletage, always, plus my hands. I have yet to find a sunscreen that I don’t have an allergic reaction to, my dermatologist told me mineral-based only, I have Skinceuticals, but I get that white cast to my face with it.

For vitamin C to truly work, it needs to be L-ascorbic Acid, that truly delivers on brightening your skin.

I’ve found that the only products where high quality matters is vitamin c and Retin-A. Everything else, spend less. I have spent a small fortune figuring out what my skin will tolerate, it was not fun getting an infection, but the one good thing to come out of it is now I understand my skin. Eczema SUCKS, your entire life revolves around your skin and inflammation. Go read the Eczema Association website (can’t recall exact name) it is loaded with helpful info, I even used their app for a while.

If you have eczema, basically you’re not supposed to use any of the good shit — Glycolics, AHA, BHA, PHA, Mandelic, Azelaic, Retinoids — all of it creates problems. But I’ve found ways to use some of these sparingly. My days of home chemical peels are long over, next stop is Botox/Lasers.

by Anonymousreply 70February 26, 2023 10:06 PM

R70 is insufferable

by Anonymousreply 71February 26, 2023 11:49 PM

Thanks for sharing r71. I was asked to share my products because it’s part of the 7 Skin method. Korean skincare is huge right now, and I’ve created my own hybrid version.

Why are you here if you don’t want products, techniques, or solutions? That’s a real question.

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2023 2:36 AM

Differin/adapalene really works miracles. I use it a few times a week before bed, along with a face lotion every night. Eucerin makes a lot of solid lotions for the face which I am a fan of, and I tend to alternate them with Kiehl's face cream (the one that comes in the white jar). For cleansing, I alternate between Eucerin's hydrating cleanser, Kiehl's face cleanser, and Panoxyl. I almost never get blemishes, and my face looks better than it ever has in my life. I think the two key ingredients responsible for that are the adapalene, and the benzoyl peroxide in Panoxyl (that being said, I can't use Panoxyl everyday or it tends to really dry my face out).

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2023 4:12 AM

Nurx and Curology both do easy online prescriptions for Tretinoin. Curology's version is quite a bit gentler on initial application, as it comes in a formula with other ingredients (including a light moisturizer) for anti-aging, but makes your skin look nice right away. The Nurx prescription is for a large tube of just tretinoin, which (as others have noted) takes some time and discipline to get results. I like both, and they each cost about $30 a month. If you are a vain old whore, like me, you can actually do both. I use the Curology formula on my face, and the plain tretinoin goes anywhere else the mood strikes me. I'm 41, but I'm routinely told that my scrotum looks 27.

That's a joke. Please don't put Tretinoin on your scrotum.

The idea that Tretinoin ages you is a marketing gimmick that some skin care lines are pushing now. It only ages you if you don't use sunscreen with it, as it can make your skin more susceptible to UV radiation. If you use it even semi-responsibly, you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2023 4:57 AM

R52- no, for old scars aha eg, glycolic peels or toners, retinol for skin skin resurfacing. For the best n quickest results are microneedling n laser. If u hv the money, look up a reputable clinic n go fr either of these two. Life is too short to be wasted thinking instead of doing. Wear sunscreen daily

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2023 11:22 AM

R54- u r rich

by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2023 11:22 AM

On someone otherwise good looking (I.e. handsome/pretty, cool, not fat or gross), acne scars can look hot and badass and really different in a good way.

I remember being a young teen and falling in love with Bryan Adams’ facial scars as depicted on one of his early album sleeves, because they gave his radio-friendly sensitivity and prettyboy-next-door image this edge. That was my dream craterfaced husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2023 12:12 PM

R72

Pffffft

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2023 4:10 PM

R71- for anti aging, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate is said to be better than l-ascorbic acid. The ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate 20% in vit f does not oxidised even after 1 year. If ur r looking for quick glow, use the l-ascorbic 15% n up. The skinfix and the la roche hv really good barrier supporting products. I'd retinols does not works for u, use copper peptides, hylamide subq is 50% right now. Hylamide is the more advanced version of the ordinary. The most advanced us the niod

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2023 4:33 PM

for tretenoin, adaptaline n strong retinols, try the sandwich method, apply them after the moisturiser

by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2023 4:35 PM

R79, thank you for the tip, I will definitely try that out. I don’t believe I’ve ever read about AT, so I’ve never purchased anything with it. I have had success with The Ordinary including their L-ascorbic acid which I loooove, but I get better results with the Skinceuticals version.

I’ve been wanting to try copper peptides too. Any thoughts on squalene?

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2023 4:56 PM

R79, I am bummed having just read that Hylamide is going out of business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2023 4:58 PM

I always thought that a serum was produced from blood, which makes all of these skincare products seem rather gruesome. Looks like cosmetic "serums" are looking for a word that isn't cream, lotion or ointment. What's wrong with gunk or placebo.?

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote]Skinceuticals Silymarin CF (unless my skin is inflammed). I’ve tried other Skinceuticals, but their L-absorbics are the only thing I think is worth the ridiculous price tag.

Totally agree. Their other products aren't great, but the C E was the best thing for my skin.

by Anonymousreply 84February 27, 2023 5:06 PM

I like Good Molecules serum + SkinFix moisturizer, mineral sunscreen and Dysport every four months or so.

by Anonymousreply 85February 27, 2023 5:08 PM

La Roche Posay serums are very good

by Anonymousreply 86February 27, 2023 5:11 PM

R84- the geek and gorgeo15% l-ascorbic acid is the direct dupe for the skinceuticals vit c serum.

by Anonymousreply 87February 27, 2023 5:25 PM

R82- if u have body discoloration or fresh stretchmarks, try the chemistry retin a oil, don't know what they put in them but they r more effective than tretenoins. The wishtrend 20% vit c makes my skin glow in 3 days but they oxidise really fast even when kept in the fridge

by Anonymousreply 88February 27, 2023 5:27 PM

Posho, you are my new favorite poster. How do you have such encyclopedic knowledge of skin products?!?

by Anonymousreply 89February 27, 2023 5:48 PM

I had never heard of Geek & Gorg, I’m assuming they’re very big in the European market — I ordered two of the L-ascorbic and two of their renowned retinol serum, great pricing! I am very impressed with their product line, I’m hoping it delivers for my skin.

by Anonymousreply 90February 27, 2023 6:14 PM

R89- i use to stay in the sun 24/7 till 24 years old, gardening, petting animals, looking at the nature, never stayed inside, thinking i will be dead soon, i was a weak child bcoz i was highly malnourished, did not bath for months, not allow me to eat fruits, addicted to sugars, got jaundice for 5 consecutive years, developed fordice all over my lips, skin started itching whenever my body temperature rises, my father has full body psoriasis, got scared, started wearing sunscreen. During family gatherings they started telling me to my face how ugly i am, why they pretended not to see me on the street. i know i am ugly, what do they want me to do, cry. Skincare started as insecurities, then developed into valuing myself enough to take care of myself

by Anonymousreply 91February 27, 2023 6:16 PM

when buying from online stores, sign up to get discounts

by Anonymousreply 92February 27, 2023 6:19 PM

Posho — I love you even more now that you got vulnerable and shared your history. It is true, we sometimes are forced to learn self-care through trauma and abuse. You are a beautiful person because of who you are inside.

by Anonymousreply 93February 27, 2023 6:22 PM

R83 are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 94February 27, 2023 6:25 PM

Ouch r25! That stuff is $125! I know you can't put a price on your skin but I'd look for alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 95February 27, 2023 6:26 PM

R25, r95- instead try adaptaline, better for acne or retinal serums, the geek and gorgeous has different strengths, if u want to throw away money for no reason, the medik8 retinal is good

by Anonymousreply 96February 27, 2023 6:32 PM

R93- thank u♥️♥️♥️

by Anonymousreply 97February 27, 2023 6:32 PM

Boo hoo

by Anonymousreply 98February 27, 2023 6:34 PM

I love The Ordinary's Retinol with Squalane, it works very well for me

by Anonymousreply 99February 27, 2023 7:58 PM

the ordinary retinol once opened, expires in 3 months but their granactive retinoids last very long. The best anti-aging moisturiser is said to be the stratia liquid gold. It's also really good for the skin barrier.

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2023 12:26 AM

I guess just be careful you don't end up looking like Trump:

[quote]Does Stratia Liquid Gold stain skin? It's non-staining and vanishes on application for most skin types. Those with extremely pale skin may experience a temporary orange tint, so may want to only use Liquid Gold before bed. All Stratia products are free of common irritants like fragrance, alcohol, and essential oils.

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2023 1:05 AM

[quote]if u have body discoloration or fresh stretchmarks, try the chemistry retin a oil, don't know what they put in them but they r more effective than tretenoins. The wishtrend 20% vit c makes my skin glow in 3 days but they oxidise really fast even when kept in the fridge

Isn't Deciem out of business or accused of criminal activity?

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2023 1:16 AM

No r102, that was sadly the founder of the company, who was incredibly screwed up. He was forced out a few years ago, then died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2023 1:18 AM

R100 1 Posho, please share how you know all this? This thread is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2023 1:23 AM

That photo of the boy primping is just sad. Is he pre transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2023 1:39 AM

R103- the closet kills

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2023 2:18 AM

R104 - after the 1.58 minute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2023 2:23 AM

Ok, I know this thread is winding down, but I have an update. I received the Geek&Gorg copy of Skinceuticals today, and I am happy to report that it IS a perfect replication!!!!! What fraction of the cost is that?!? Maybe one-tenth? I cannot believe I continued to pay for that shite, never again! I think my last bottle cost….never mind, too embarrassed to post the cost.

Never ever ever again. And Posho, that YouTube channel is brilliant, I’m going to keep watching.

Tonight, I will be trying the G&G “A Game”. It’s so awesome to find high quality at a reasonable price. I honestly never read about their line in the States, we must spread the word.

by Anonymousreply 108March 2, 2023 10:11 PM

Any legit knock-offs of Latisse? That’s another pricey product.

by Anonymousreply 109March 2, 2023 10:13 PM

Ask a dermatologist. Retinols can make your skin sensitive to sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 110March 2, 2023 10:24 PM

r109, it was posted above, alldaychemist... it's called careprost on the site. Just search for Latisse and it comes up.

by Anonymousreply 111March 2, 2023 11:46 PM

Thank you r111!

by Anonymousreply 112March 2, 2023 11:59 PM

R112, fair warning: All of these lash extending products may darken part of your eyelid.

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2023 12:10 AM

Does anyone have any success with acne scarring and CeraVe retinol serum? Just started and want to know if I’m wasting my time

by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2023 12:22 AM

R114 if it’s serious or major acne scarring it won’t help because I’m sure the retinol isn’t a potent level.

by Anonymousreply 115March 3, 2023 12:26 AM

This stuff is fantastic. And inexpensive. My glamour lesbian sister has used it for years.

I saw almost an over night change with my skin, but I'm a guy with heavy hair growth so the sting after shaving became too much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 3, 2023 1:05 AM

R115 that was my suspicion, I’d say it’s moderate so who knows. Realistically any commercial cream or serum will be pretty limited in changing that which has been physically altered

by Anonymousreply 117March 3, 2023 1:26 AM

R109- the glaucoma eye drop is rly good but they cause fat loss which makes u look older. The ordinary peptide eye lash serum actually works. the 2-in-1 set on the beautybay.com is a super saver

by Anonymousreply 118March 3, 2023 2:21 AM

I’m scheduled for a hydraderm facial next week

by Anonymousreply 119March 3, 2023 11:36 AM

We should all do facials together on a Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 120March 3, 2023 4:34 PM

R120- try this instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2023 4:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!