Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Rita Moreno a hero for not giving Will Smith a standing ovation?

I've never been able to stand Rita Moreno but she's earned my respect after she refused to be a typical Hollywood sycophant and stand up for that thug Will Smith.

Although it was hard for me to forgive her for the slights she committed against Joan Crawford and Judy Garland, this may have helped me look past all that. I believe Joan and Judy (especially Joan) would be glad somebody from the days of glamorous Hollywood was still around to figuratively take a stand by literally not standing.

by Anonymousreply 61April 1, 2022 7:35 PM

She's like 95, she probably wasn't even aware of what was happening.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2022 12:53 AM

She's an angry curmudgeon and he's a simpering ass, so that's that.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2022 12:54 AM

She’s still a cunt. Next.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2022 12:55 AM

She's a bitter woman.

But I respect her choice not to stand.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2022 12:55 AM

She probably wasn't able to stand. Like R1 said, she's in her nineties.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2022 12:58 AM

She's a slacker.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2022 1:02 AM

I like her even more, now. Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2022 1:10 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2022 1:13 AM

What were Rita’s slights against Judy Garland?

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2022 1:17 AM

R9 She stole Judy's Oscar for Best Supporting Actress! Don't you keep up with your film history?

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2022 1:19 AM

Rita ‘innocently’ slighting her nemesis Sally Struthers at 1:42 by reminding everyone she is A-list and Sally Struthers is NOT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2022 1:23 AM

Yeah, she was disappointed that Rock and Smith didn't 'fight it out' like the Sharks and the Jets; but, of course, they couldn't, because they're neither PR nor white. That would be cultural appropriation, a big 'no, no' with the Academy.

So, it would have had to have been an updated version, like 'West Hood Story,' where the Crips and the Bloods engage in theatrical dance-violence. Lots of break dancing, moon walking to backhand slap an adversary, and an old Soul Train vibe to the whole thing.

After the 'fight scene,' Whoopi Goldberg would make an entrance laying on a couch, like a fat Cleopatra, while eating a dozen Dunkin Donuts with even more donuts on her hands like rings on her fingers. (Product placement for a sponsor.) She would then fling some donuts around while waving her hand to silence the crowd. When silence quietly erupts in the building, Whoopi will stare silently, burp under her breath (to maintain the solemnity of the moment) and then declare an eternal Pax Hollywood. Henceforth, there will be no violence in movies; only hugs and dancing. Lots of hugs and dancing. Whoopi is an absolute Queen.

And Rita Moreno wouldn't even give that production a standing ovation! The Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2022 1:23 AM

Oh please. Rita didn’t steal anyone’s Oscar. And if Judy hadn’t been such a crazy cunt, hated by so many, she might not have lost.

And Joan Crawford?

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2022 1:23 AM

[Quote]Is Rita Moreno a hero

Shouldn't the word be [italic]heroine?

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2022 1:24 AM

This was Will Smith's Empty Nest backdoor pilot.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2022 1:25 AM

I still don’t like her, but at least she has scruples about this tacky shit show.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2022 1:27 AM

That hardly reads as a “diss” of Sally Struthers, r11.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2022 1:30 AM

I forgot, this bitch also dissed Natalie Wood. When she said Z-list Zegler would be the first Maria who could sing. Never mind what I said about forgiving Moreno, she's a truly warped and twisted creature.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2022 1:32 AM

Good lord, when she holds up that claw and says "four of us." What a crone.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2022 1:33 AM

Is there video of it? Was she applauding?

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2022 1:33 AM

R13 Rita only won the Oscar because of her race. That's literally the only reason anybody knows her today.

After she won the Oscar, Joan came up and hugged her. Rita bitched about not being friendly with Joan and how strong her grip was. Has Rita forgotten she was a C-Lister and Joan an all-time icon of the movies? She should be proud an A-lister was willing to be photographed with Rita to give her the extra prestige and that a great star would deign to touch a half-educated starlet like Rita.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote] Is there video of it? Was she applauding?

It's at the cue in that video (1:40) the poster upthread mentioned about her dissing Sally Struthers.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2022 1:36 AM

[quote] Is Rita Moreno a

Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2022 1:37 AM

[Quote] Rita only won the Oscar because of her race.

She won because of her race but not a single other Latina female has won until Ariana Debois….?

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2022 1:50 AM

R24 That bitch also only won because of identity politics. The Oscar should have gone to Judi Dench or Kirsten Dunst. Literally anyone except her.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2022 1:51 AM

I don't know if DeBose won for identity politics because she pretty much swept all the supporting actress awards, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what everyone saw in her. She wasn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote]I've never been able to stand Rita Moreno

Haaaaaalllloooo, Chita!

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2022 1:56 AM

R26 many people disagree with you

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2022 1:56 AM

R28 Well I disagree with you and agree with R26

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2022 2:05 AM

R29 great. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2022 2:16 AM

[quote] many people disagree with you

You think, R28? Gosh, I never would have figured that out by the fact that she won so many awards. Anything else you'd like to point out that's completely obvious?

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2022 2:18 AM

"That's literally the only reason"

R21 Let's speak like an adult, dear.

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2022 2:19 AM

Oh and there you are again at R25 "Literally anyone except her"

Really - please learn English

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2022 2:20 AM

R30 Rita Moreno is not. She lost that privilege after dissing Joan, Judy, and Natalie. Hateful harpy.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2022 2:20 AM

R31 that you're kind of a dick?

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2022 2:22 AM

R33 That's ironic coming from somebody who has no idea how to properly utilize a hyphen in general conversation or discourse. Not to mention the disturbing lack of periods and punctuation. Go back to remedial English class.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2022 2:23 AM

[quote] that you're kind of a dick?

Just defending myself against an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2022 2:23 AM

Who is this grammar Nazi invading these threads? Ingrid Bergman's missionary character of Greta Ohlsson would advise you to better utilize your limited skills by teaching "little brown babies, born more backwards than" you. You might actually get some fulfillment out of life.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2022 2:26 AM

Calm down, gentlepeople! This isn't Russia versus Ukraine that we're focusing on. No need to verbally slap anybody for gosh sake. Mother would be very unhappy with all of you. Except me, of course. I'm her favorite. But you knew that. And that's what's really eating at you, isn't it? Admit it! It's not the punctuation or the history of cinema. I've always been Mother's favorite and you never will be! Incidentally, Mother asked me to ask you if you would like some milk and cookies at bedtime. Well, do you?

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2022 2:35 AM

Rita Moreno is a god befrigged CUNT

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2022 2:38 AM

R18 is mentally ill. Rita said that Rachel was the first Maria who could do her *own* singing. Everyone knows Natalie was dubbed by Marni Nixon, so that’s hardly a diss.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2022 2:38 AM

R41 is a Rita simp who would be hanged for heresy in any other country. It wasn't the veracity of her statement that was off-putting but her holier-than-thou tone. Everyone knows Rita was always jealous of Natalie because Natalie was always the star and Rita always the side heroine. So much venom and hate in those 90s years of age have caused her to wither away.

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2022 2:40 AM

This whole thread has the stench of Matt, the Loon. Hey Matt, Bedknobs & Broomsticks still stinks to high Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2022 2:41 AM

Everyone knows Rita is a cunt with a side of cunt. Look at her speech when she won her Tony award. She spent the whole time complaining it was for featured and not lead.

by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2022 2:44 AM

Oh, no. Bedknobs and Broomsticks has been summoned!!!!

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2022 2:46 AM

R44 What a disingenuous fuck. Bitch is lucky people even remember her because most people thought she was dead the last few years until she did that crummy Netflix show.

by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2022 2:47 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2022 2:51 AM

Thank you R47. Lots of stars who could sing were rudely dubbed over like Joan Crawford and Susan Hayward. Rita was just jealous that Natalie had it all: talent, beauty, and fame.

by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2022 2:53 AM

Add me to the list, R26, who feel that Ariana won because identity politics.

Judy Dench and Kirsten Dunst (who I generally do not like) FAR exceeded Ariana in their talent performing their roles.

by Anonymousreply 49April 1, 2022 2:56 AM

While I, too, was wounded by Rita's bait and switch "Golden Girls" pilot, she has done enough good for me to overlook that faux pas. She is more than "the other Cheetah Rivera" and I'm sad that she allows her critics and allies to make her so defensive about a brilliant career. Does anyone remember her as the nurse who tortures "pronie" Carol Burnett as an accident prone patient on The Carol Burnett Show?

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2022 5:37 AM

I did my own singing.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2022 5:39 AM

she probably was too tired to stand up

by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2022 5:40 AM

Missssss Moreno. Her rude gyrations. Are all lousy imitations.

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2022 5:42 AM

She was wearing a We-Vibe remote control vibrator and she was right in the sweet spot when everyone stood up.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2022 5:46 AM

Between Rita and Wally Cox, Brando preferred Cox.

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2022 6:04 AM

Cheetah Rivera? Altogether now: oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2022 7:02 AM

Where's my praise? Have you fellashas forgotten, I did not stand either.

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2022 8:06 AM

My name is Chita and not Rita Rita is Rita but not Chita Liza likes Chita but not Rita I wouldn’t mind if they shot Rita

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2022 8:18 AM

Gypsies, Italians and Black Jews!

by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2022 8:21 AM

she's a cunt

by Anonymousreply 60April 1, 2022 8:42 AM

She will play it off as not celebrating the violence when in truth she had just wet her pants.

by Anonymousreply 61April 1, 2022 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!