Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lets revisit The Broken Hearts Club

a 2000 American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Greg Berlanti. It follows the lives of a group of gay friends in West Hollywood, centered on a restaurant owned by the fatherly Jack (John Mahoney) and the softball team he sponsors. The friends rely on each other for friendship and support as they search for love, deal with loss, and discover themselves.

Were you a fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2022 3:19 PM

The acting was atrocious on this, but I don't care. It's one of my all time favourite feel good gay movies and the cast was stellar. I'm surprised they got Timothy Olyphant for this or even Zach Braff. I guess if you ask either of them in an interview they would never mention it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2022 1:07 PM

I liked it at the time. I haven’t seen it in years. This was my first introduction to Zach Braff.

Berlanti was a good writer. It’s a shame he didn’t take advantage of this more instead of dusting off old comic books and passing them off to someone to adapt for the rest of his career.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2022 1:13 PM

Zach Braff hadn’t landed Scrubs yet, R1. He was an out of work actor who was crashing on Berlanti’s sofa.

He seems like the type who would go out of his way to drop that he was in one of the first mainstream gay-centered movies.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2022 1:15 PM

Hot guys, terrible acting. I always found it a tragedy that John Mahoney could peek his head out of the closet far enough to be in this movie but never acknowledge his male partner in real life.

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2022 1:18 PM

Ehh, if I’m going to watch a terrible gay movie I’m going with The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green. More humor, more cute guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2022 1:19 PM

Olyphant did a great job. He made his character believable as a gay man without acting stereotypically. The movie has a lot of heart. I definitely recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2022 1:19 PM

Ugh, Dean Cain? No, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2022 1:24 PM

[quote] He was an out of work actor who was crashing on Berlanti’s sofa.

@R3, I have to ask:

Zach and Berlanti??

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2022 1:27 PM

[quote] The acting was atrocious on this…and the cast was stellar

I’m sorry but…what?

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2022 1:29 PM

While it’s disappointing how far Dean Cain fell into the right wing, I had the biggest crush on Andrew Keegan when this came out, and for that, I will always be grateful. I wanted to marry him when I was 13. Im sure he’s equally gross now

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2022 1:32 PM

For R10, Andrew Keegan as a 40 something yo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2022 1:35 PM

I liked this movie a lot. I was young and in the closet and it showed me a world I knew little about. I dreamed of one day having a circle of gay friends. I had that kind of circle for a while and then we all moved on with our lives. Still friends but spread out around the world now. It was a good time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2022 1:36 PM

This sounds terrible but now I have to see it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2022 2:07 PM

I like you R9

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2022 2:11 PM

[r11] thank you so much! Still dreamy

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2022 3:01 PM

Dreadful movie -- a thousand times less interesting, nuanced and well-acted than the much-reviled THE BOYS IN THE BAND. Waste of a promising cast. (One would never know from this that Justin Theroux and Matt McGrath can be wonderful actors, but then again they're trapped in perhaps the worst-written parts/"relationship" of the whole picture.)

This was probably my first exposure to the loathsome Billy Porter; I'd have an axe to grind with it on that score alone.

Glad to glimpse the unbelievably hot Michael Bergin in a gay part, however brief. (A make-out scene with him and Dean Cain could have justified the entire misbegotten enterprise.)

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2022 3:10 PM

I thought Olyphant and Mahoney did good work, and Christian Kane was smoking hot in his makeout scene with Zach Braff.

This was yet another project that Kerr "I don't have to kiss a guy or anything, do I?" Smith played gay in.

I mostly remember that I saw it on a first date, and the other guy was much more interested in going out again than I was.

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2022 3:18 PM

Andrew Keegan looks really cute and sexy in R11's pic

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2022 3:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!