Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jim Carrey Calls Oscar Audience ‘Spineless’ For Will Smith Standing Ovation

Jim Carrey has something to say about Will Smith’s behavior at the Oscars. While appearing on CBS Mornings, Carrey said he was “sickened by the standing ovation. Hollywood is just spineless en masse and it really felt like this is a really clear indication that we aren’t the cool club anymore.”

Carrey also said Smith should have been arrested but, as host Gayle King pointed out, Chris Rock declined to file charges. “He didn’t want the hassle,” Carrey said of Rock, who was slapped on camera by Smith after the comedian made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s appearance. “I’d have announced this morning that I was suing Will for 200 million dollars because that video is going to be there forever, it’s going to be ubiquitous. That insult is gonna last a very long time. If you want to yell from the audience and show disapproval or say something on Twitter, you do not have the right to walk up on stage and smack somebody in the face ‘cuz they said words.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 2, 2022 1:50 PM

He’s right. It was vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2022 6:06 PM

I'm with Jim Carrey.

And he's absolutely right. Hollywood IS spineless.

Smith should have been arrested on-site, and marched out of that auditorium in handcuffs, like anyone else who did what Will Smith did, would have been.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2022 6:07 PM

Jim just does not give a fuck anymore. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2022 6:08 PM

Jim Carrey is an Anti vaxxer and a weirdo, but he isn’t wrong about this.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2022 6:08 PM

C'mon. Arrested on camera? No. But the police should have been there off stage to question.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2022 6:09 PM

Oh, please. It was a light slap, Rock was not on any danger. You guys must live in a really sanitized, wussy world if you think that was some scary act of violence

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]Carrey also said Smith should have been arrested but, as host Gayle King pointed out, Chris Rock declined to file charges.

It doesn’t matter if Chris Rock “declined” to press charges. The District Attorney should still file charges on behalf of the People of California vs Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2022 6:10 PM

Police? You think people should be arrested for a slap? Pussies.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2022 6:10 PM

This is good is hear. It's something, anyway.

You gotta figure they're all talking about it. I wonder what is being said.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2022 6:11 PM

[quote]I’d have announced this morning that I was suing Will for 200 million dollars

Wonder how he would have felt if Arsenio had sued HIM for that drunken, racist stunt he pulled?

As far as the slap video being ubiquitous, everyone had forgotten about the racist Arsenio stunt until Carrey himself made a whole documentary where he tried to imply that it was just performance art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2022 6:11 PM

Cool club? LOL. The people complaining about it are the ones who aren't in the cool club. Mostly white fraus

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2022 6:13 PM

R10 You can sue someone for being a racist?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2022 6:13 PM

[quote]You guys must live in a really sanitized, wussy world if you think that was some scary act of violence

No, they just want to see a famous black guy they hate get jail time, so they pretend like it was EXTREME VIOLENCE ON INTERNATIONAL LIVE TV THAT WILL HAVE REPERCUSSIONS FOR DECADES!!!

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2022 6:13 PM

It's not that it was 'extreme violence' (has ANYONE called it that?). But it doesn't matter, you don't have the right to slap someone, without being dragged off by cops.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2022 6:17 PM

He hauled off and knocked him one. Didn't look "light" to me. And I bet it HURT.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote] No, they just want to see a famous black guy they hate get jail time, so they pretend like it was EXTREME VIOLENCE ON INTERNATIONAL LIVE TV THAT WILL HAVE REPERCUSSIONS FOR DECADES!!!

Why in the fuck are you making this about race?

They're BOTH BLACK, you fucking psycho!!!!!

And what Will Smith did was commit assault against another person, in front of BILLIONS of people!!!!

The definition of assault:

[quote] An assault is the act of inflicting physical harm or unwanted physical contact upon a person or, in some specific legal definitions, a threat or attempt to commit such an action. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in criminal prosecution, civil liability, or both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2022 6:19 PM

With all the preaching that Hollywood does, and the (justified) outrage over Trump-inspired violence - not to mention that little thing called an insurrection - the fact that some in the entertainment business wish to normalize an ASSAULT, screams hypocrisy.

It is unlawful for one human in this country to “slap” another in response to words.

The assault was witnessed live by millions.

It is classified as a crime. And the humiliating photos will last indefinitely.

[quote] Writing for the aforementioned Sydney Morning Herald, Michael Idato called it “the Oscars’ lowest moment in history”: “The issues here are thorny. Rock’s comedy was risky, of course, but Smith’s reaction felt unwarranted. It is difficult to see Smith striking Rock as anything other than [bold] assault, regardless of the provocation. And there is an unease which follows when one question is left unanswered: whether Hollywood will accept, and therefore, normalise what happened, or dare to call Smith to account…One thing is certain: the Academy will hate this.”[/bold]

Those that defend, condone, or belittle this event are suspect.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]It's not that it was 'extreme violence' (has ANYONE called it that?)

I mean, honestly, are you just pretending here? Or have you genuinely not read any other DL threads?

About an hour ago someone told me "no one has compared Will Smith to Trump" and seconds later I saw him in the thread about Howard Stern comparing Will Smith to Trump. At this point, with the bullshit posted on here, I don't generally believe people who say they haven't heard any of these really out-there, exaggerated, over-the-top descriptions.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2022 6:22 PM

Jim carrey is right. All that Will Smith has proven is that he is a nasty, arrogant and weak person who cannot take even the mildest of jokes. He has also shown that he is incapable of behaving like a civilized person, by getting up from his chair and hitting someone who was merely doing his job, right in the middle of a public event. And the fact that he then started screaming insults like a deranged maniac, makes the entire thing even more embarrassing. He is downright disgusting and the people who gave him a standing ovation are repulsive. Then again, we're talking about Hollywood here: posturing, pretension and money are the only things that they are capable of caring about. Everything else is futile to them.

Also, his ridiculous speech about being called upon by God to defend people from bullies was bizarre at best. This man is a raging narcissist and I find it funny how he decided to defend someone from a comedian who had said a silly joke, by acting like a hateful bully himself. He is an embarassment and the Academy should unceremoniously kick him out.

What is also shameful is that there are people trying to excuse him by saying that he is being targetted because of racism, which are the same people who would have howled like raging beasts if he had been even questioned by police - and that is, by the way, the one and only reason why he wasn't arrested. Once again, this shows that powerful people can do whatever they want without any consequences, and there are legions of imbeciles willing to do anything to justify them, just so they can feel that they are part of the elites.

It's all quite grotesque, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2022 6:25 PM

If any average rube did this at their place of work, they would be punished and potentially criminally charged. This is simply showboating from elites - they can get away with anything.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2022 6:26 PM

Carrey is right. I knew the reaction to Smith’s win was wrong, but I didn’t know how to articulate it.

One thing I heard noted (and didn’t come up with myself) is Smith used the language of abusers in the aftermath. He tried to marry an unwarranted act of violence to love of family…as if that justifies his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2022 6:28 PM

I agree with both Kareem Abdul Jabar and Jim Carey's opinions on this matter. And, that's a sentence I thought I would never write in all my years and yet here I am.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2022 6:29 PM

Will Smith’s antics kicked the Oscars towards the bowels of depravity.

His peers and The Academy jumped in with him as they gave their acceptance and approval.

Stick a fork in the Oscars. They are (over)done.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2022 6:30 PM

Will and Jada both lack having thick skin..I’m surprised they’ve made it this far.

He should have apologised during his speech. That right there should be grounds to revoke his award.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2022 6:36 PM

Yeah, and all Will’s partying afterwards: seemingly completely removed from the event came across poorly.

He posted on Instagram while partying with an photo of an angry face (and Jada sticking her tongue out) with a caption of something like “Bringing the Chaos”. Making light of the whole ordeal.

On the night he assaulted someone and had yet to apologize to that person.

Unbelievable that people can cape for this man.

He is a thug.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2022 6:42 PM

R6 Jada

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2022 6:42 PM

A chimp out at the Oscars. What's next

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2022 6:44 PM

A helpful guide for those who are going to want to pretend to be ignorant of what R 27 means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2022 6:47 PM

I agree 💯. I would have booed if I was there

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2022 6:53 PM

The reason Chris Rock isn't filing is because he's not trying to be labeled a "snitch" in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2022 6:58 PM

I agree, R29!!!

This is what the people in the theater SHOULD have done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2022 7:01 PM

The far left is making this shit about race. “The cool club”? Is this fucking high school? I don’t care that Will Smith is black. He is a piece of shit and a batterer. We all saw it. The Academy and Hollywood has a sad history of condoning criminals as long they make money for them and are popular. I felt the same way when they turned a blind eye to Sean Penn, Polanski, Woody Allen and Charlie Sheen. Will And Jada are trash and bullshit like this should not be tolerated.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2022 7:04 PM

What Will Smith did was stupid and vulgar. But am I the only one who was floored by the idea that Will Smith--or any man--must suddenly become a Knight in Shining Armor for his Lady Fair? Are we still watching On Golden Pond? If Jada was offended, why didn't SHE do something about it? Say something? Walk out? As if a woman is a delicate flower in need of a big strong man to protect her....Utter bullshit, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2022 7:07 PM

[quote]The far left is making this shit about race.

The far left aren't the ones posting "n*gger" this and "chimpout" that and "ape" this and "ghetto thug" that all over DL.

It's people like your pal Ben Shapiro who want you to think this whole thing is the fault of the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2022 7:14 PM

For those saying this is a-ok:

The next time a comedian slings a zinger about fuckface Cheeto, is it ok for Chachi to go up and slug him, then?

...or for Kirstie Alley to waddle up and kick them in the nuts?

...or Sorbo to give them a push off the stage?

And before you start, feel free to check my posts, I loathe Trump and MAGAts. But if you approve of physically attacking comedians instead of dealing with shit like an adult ought to, you better watch out. You are opening up a box of worms that are just waiting to get out and crawl up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2022 7:17 PM

There is plenty to sort out here but I do give a pass to the audience. We were all in shock about what happened and not sure what to do next or what to think. Of course a day or so later we all may have more definitive thoughts about what happened.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2022 7:19 PM

R34 it IS the far left who are making it about race. Who cares what some racist nobody assholes say on the internet? Those jerkoffs will always exist. This is about right, wrong and criminal behavior. The left is always using race when it comes to calling out black people for bad behavior. Will Smith being a total turd has nothing to do with his being African American. He made a choice to assault another African American man on live television. Chris Rock was the picture of grace and class after that attack from Smith. He is the man we should be giving attention to. He handled that shit like a true professional.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2022 7:23 PM

the audience was told that chris rock and the smiths will talk later. That they will work it out, and everyone should stay out of it. It was said on tv, I heard it. More was said, off tv.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2022 7:23 PM

Well who in the hell are you all of a sudden, R36?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2022 7:24 PM

I've only seen maybe two or three comments of the thousands I've read that said the thought what Smith did was "a-ok." Maybe I have the others on ignore, I don't know, but I really don't think there's anyone saying it's okay.

There are people saying it's not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. There are others saying it was wrong but understandable; he should be punished but jail time is excessive; that people are exaggerating things because of political and emotional reasons, and it's gotten out of hand. NONE of that equals "what he did was okay."

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2022 7:25 PM

So it's leftists who are posting "n*ggers be chimpin out" on DL then, r37?

Okay, cool, thanks for your valuable insight.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2022 7:26 PM

R13 It just happened to be a famous BLACK guy who committed the violent act. So you are okay with what he did?

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2022 7:26 PM

Ironic that the Academy has bent over backwards to look wokie-woke-woke, then it turns into the Adult Video News Awards.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2022 7:28 PM

Yes, they applauded him and it disgusted me too. That tearful bullshit speech he gave, was so over the top, especially after what he did. Jim Carrey is right. R19, couldn't have put it better.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote] There is plenty to sort out here but I do give a pass to the audience. We were all in shock about what happened and not sure what to do next or what to think. Of course a day or so later we all may have more definitive thoughts about what happened.

They could’ve applauded from their seats. Why give the guy a standing ovation? Carrey is right and all the assholes who stood up are spineless sheep.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2022 7:57 PM

they made an announcement to the audience. Some of it the TV audience heard. They said both parties agreed to mediation, and all the academy members there should not worry about it. So you cannot blame it on the audience there. Also, they all need to talk to their lawyers first, then their union.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2022 8:03 PM

Smith's agent will be overwhelmed by the amount of roles that will be offered. He's suddenly been reincarnated as a tough, Black he-man.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2022 8:07 PM

R41 nope. It is the far left that label everybody as a racist just because they are calling out Will Smith for being a piece of shit who can’t take a joke.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2022 8:15 PM

Mommy.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2022 8:19 PM

R31 OMG!! Who is that? 🤣

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote]If Jada was offended, why didn't SHE do something about it?

She’s a ridiculous cunt who talks a big game on Twitter and on her awful Red Table show, but she wouldn’t dare say something out on the street where she’d get her black ass beat down.

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2022 8:33 PM

After years of watching people do shit (Trump&co) and not face consequences, it's infuriating to see an assault on live TV and then see people make excuses for the perp. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2022 8:51 PM

[quote]it's infuriating to see an assault on live TV and then see people make excuses for the perp. Fuck that.

It’s mostly black people making up excuses for his criminal behavior, just like they did with OJ and with Jussie Smollett. Just like the ones who “don’t know nuffin” when some thug shoots up their neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2022 9:00 PM

She looked bemused at first. Then she remembered she was going to get all that mileage out of having a Pet Celebrity Disease, and stopped herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2022 9:04 PM

Like WTF were they doing giving him a standing ovation after assaulting a presenter on stage before millions of people around the world

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2022 9:06 PM

Agree with Carrey. In exchange for not filing a lawsuit , Rock should demande : 1. Written apology from Smith published everywhere ; 2. Signed agreement to take anger management classes for one year, jada attending as well; 3. And a non taxable donation of five million dollars to a cause or charity chosen by Chris Rock

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2022 9:09 PM

If you want to completely lose your shit at more woke, lightweight insanity -- just watch (and try to listen) to Jenna Wortham's oh-so-insightful commentary on the matter with CBS Morning. Jim Carrey's interview follows.

Jesus Christ. How the hell does someone as intellectually stunted as Wortham get into the NY Times and CBS Morning. A complete moron propagating everything WRONG with the far left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2022 9:09 PM

He's right that Hollywood is no longer seen as cool or a source of moral or cultural authority. Hollywood is widely disdained now.

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2022 9:15 PM

Go Jim Go!!

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote]Like WTF were they doing giving him a standing ovation after assaulting a presenter on stage before millions of people around the world

It just shows how completely out of touch they are with the rest of America. There's an out of control epidemic of violent crime happening in cities all across the country. And here's Hollywood applauding and awarding a violent thug who just committed an assault on live TV.

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2022 9:25 PM

Jada is fully capable of defending herself. She just sent her bitch to do the job for her. He laughed at first but then was assigned the outraged role by his wife.

I laugh at people saying he was defending her honor. What honor?? The kind that comes from being in an open marriage and fucking your son's friend? And then coolly discussing it with your husband on the internet for the world to know? Will is her BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2022 9:27 PM

Jim Carrey is right. The standing ovation was gross, pathetic and a reward for bad behavior. It was disgusting. What's wrong with these people in the audience?

by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2022 9:28 PM

Will and Jada are a couple of fucked up Hollywood assholes. Their marriage is repulsive to most Americans. Their Californian psychobabble is a laughting stock.

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2022 9:30 PM

R56 MARY!

Chris Rock doesn't need any forced acts of contrition from Will Smith. The less Chris does, the better he looks. This is fuel for him.

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2022 9:32 PM

I agree

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2022 9:35 PM

I don’t get the Bradley Cooper hug - are they good friends?

by Anonymousreply 66March 29, 2022 9:37 PM

The most horrifying thing about the night wasn't the smack.

It was the artless TV movie Coda winning best picture over far superior films.

And honestly, Will Smith was kind of annoying and awful in King Richard, playing an almost SNL skit-level black "brother man."

by Anonymousreply 67March 29, 2022 9:37 PM

I agree too. Chris Rock has handled things beautifully thus far. And while I feel sorry for Will Smith, he revealed who he really is - a guy with ego and possibly mental health issues. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2022 9:38 PM

R67 - what movie do you think deserved best picture? I am hoping you don’t say the power of the dog. That movie could have been good like the book but it just was not. I did like Belfast but let’s face it this year‘s crop of movies was just not up to par. I’m interested to hear what you and others have to say about well deserved best picture. Coda was not offensive to me in any way.

by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2022 9:43 PM

"I just hope everyone who slept with Jada doesn't come up and slap me, I don't have enough cheeks."

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2022 10:00 PM

I am personally disgusted that the Gyllenhaal did not strip the curtains off the stage and craft flaming torches, Tyler Perry did not perform a citizen’s arrest and Jessica Chastain didn’t call an Uber for Brie Larson to take her place on the podium to scold the entire audience.

The most disgusting bit is that Lisa Bonet did not perform Imagine to close the show.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2022 10:05 PM

R66 I wondered the same thing. Even started to think back on their movies to see if maybe they had costarred together at some point. Perhaps the know each other from the Down Low Hollywood Bi/Gay Club??

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2022 10:09 PM

I don't get why people think Chris Rock was humiliated. Will Smith probably feels humiliated. A bit. Chris Rock just became legendary and he looked pretty cool and sane during the whole thing.... Will Smith did not, but I don't think this destroyed his legacy either.

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2022 10:09 PM

[Bold] r47, BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!! WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100% !!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2022 10:11 PM

R67 The winners of the night were horrible all around, when Jessica Shitstain is your most worthy acting winner of the group, you've done something wrong.

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2022 10:11 PM

"And here's Hollywood applauding and awarding a violent thug who just committed an assault on live TV."

Jesus and MARY. He already won the Oscar, it jus had to be announced. It was also never meant as a reward for good behavior.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2022 10:12 PM

Oh please, there are enough pro violence assholes in this world (including thuggish men and some black women and some alopecia women who have been cheering his perceived defence of them) that Will Smith has a sound fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2022 10:13 PM

[quote] Oh, please. It was a light slap, Rock was not on any danger. You guys must live in a really sanitized, wussy world if you think that was some scary act of violence

Well that’s the thing about assaulting someone — neither Smith nor anyone else gets to define the level of pain inflicted, the embarrassment endured, or the possibility of an actual fight breaking out on stage. Rock could have reacted in any number of ways. There may indeed be degrees of assault, but no one gets to aggressively hit someone and then say that it was was “just” a harmless touch. You just don’t.

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2022 10:19 PM

[quote][R66] I wondered the same thing. Even started to think back on their movies to see if maybe they had costarred together at some point. Perhaps the know each other from the Down Low Hollywood Bi/Gay Club??

Tyler Perry also offered a hug during the commercial, so yes, it was the Stressful Lavender Marriage support group. Travolta later offered his support.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2022 10:28 PM

Did anyone ask if Will is okay?

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2022 10:34 PM

Carey’s comments were one of the best I’ve read yet (and I’ve read a lot.)

As bad as his physical assault was, I was even more shocked at his repeated swearing and yelling from his seat. You’re at the Oscars, nominated for God’s sake, and this is how you behave???

Today I watched this video and can’t believe he showboated like this after what he did. Wow. He’s a piece of work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2022 11:48 PM

and….scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2022 11:55 PM

Smith has always had that thin layer of charm and smugness, since the 80s. I never bought it then, and I don't buy it now. He's the lowest common denominator of entertainers.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2022 12:32 AM

R81 there was no way he was giving up his big night. I woulda been mortified to attend the parties after all that and he's also essentially bulling people in hanging out with him as the Best Actor winner. Even if they were repulsed by his behavior it's not like they can avoid the BA winner if he shows up to every party and begins to act like nothing happened and just has a regular Oscar winner night of dancing and drinking.

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2022 12:36 AM

Who would’ve thought crazy ass Jim Carrey, would be the only one with sense.

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2022 12:40 AM

The only people who will benefit from Will Smith's actions, are thugs and criminals who think that assaulting other people is right and justified.

Because the Academy Awards have basically sanctioned that behavior as "okay."

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2022 12:41 AM

Dear Children of the World,

We would like you to know that anytime you disagree with something someone says, or they make you upset, it is okay to assault them in plain view of billions of other people.

You can smack them, kick them, punch them, or whatever else you feel like doing.

You will not only be awarded for it, but you will also be given a motherfucking STANDING OVATION!

Sincerely, AMPAS

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2022 12:43 AM

I'm hoping for a Dawn Davenport moment next year where she arrives on stage ahead of Will Smith getting the Jean Hersholt and the Lifetime Achievement Awards and cries that she loves not wisely but too well, and then recreates her final theater performance, starting with....

Well, just so long as it's fun. And appropriately complete.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2022 1:03 AM

Times beyond counting I’ve heard stars talk about the “really hard work” they did on a movie.

I’m not sure they even know what really hard work IS. Yeah, their bales of cash are hard to lug around but my heart just doesn’t bleed for ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2022 1:11 AM

Did you catch the part where that IDIOT Gayle King said the situation had "escalated" to the point where the violence occurred? She fucking said that TWICE. And I'm glad Carrey called her out on that bullshit. It's clear King's on Smith's side.

by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2022 2:25 AM

The spineless phonies who gave Smith the standing o were,worse than Smith. He’s a loon but what was their excuse?

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2022 2:37 AM

how must have Chris Rock felt to see the man who humiliated him in front of millions get a standing ovation?

by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2022 4:22 AM

These dumb whores!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2022 5:18 AM

[quote] What is also shameful is that there are people trying to excuse him by saying that he is being targetted because of racism, which are the same people who would have howled like raging beasts if he had been even questioned by police

R19, what's ironic is that if you take Will Smith out of the equation, THOSE EXACT SAME PEOPLE would be losing their shit right now if Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Russell Crowe or any of Hollywood's White blowhards had walked on stage and assaulted Chris Rock for supposedly ofending their wives.

They'd have none of that "she has a medical condition" BS. Rock would be seen as a modern day Emmett Till!

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2022 5:31 AM

The audience was told the parties involved were okay and entered into some sort of mediation. If any of the audience was concern do not be, there is a mediation process occurring now. They are at a televised event with contracts too.

Nothing prevents them from consulting with lawyers and helping out Chris Rock after the event. Nothing really could be done at this time, they would have to speak to Chris Rock, and also legal about this, if they would be helping him through court systems or union.

I do not agree with this at all. They audience there did not commit the crime. It was Will Smith mostly.

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2022 11:51 AM

The other thing is LAPD showed up and harassed Chris Rock, while he was at his workplace to file a police report. Then, LAPD release a statement about this to the Public, which is BS.

Chris Rock has the right to get to safety, seek medical attention and consult a lawyer. Chris Rock has time to do this, he has rights. LAPD had no right to harass him or to release any statement to the Public. This is how the PD and DA suppress reports, undermining the judicial process, prevent the legal rights of victims and stress out victims. If they could do this to Chris Rock, they can get away with this with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2022 11:58 AM

[QUOTE] The audience was told the parties involved were okay and entered into some sort of mediation. If any of the audience was concern do not be, there is a mediation process occurring now. They are at a televised event with contracts too.

What are you fucking talking about? We are the VIEWING audience and none of what you describe happened.

It also doesn’t sound like English is your first language.

by Anonymousreply 97March 30, 2022 12:11 PM

It was a dumb move on Will’s part because it shows that he can’t handle harsh criticisms of any kind.

And Chris Rock’s jab wasn’t even critical. It was a off colour remark at best.

And I’m not sure if even that should be seen as anything negative..

Will you blew it buddy!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 98March 30, 2022 12:14 PM

This is how the responsible adults behave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 30, 2022 12:19 PM

Hopefully, this incident and with the majority of public outcry of his behaviour will shut the Smith’s down for a long time to come. And by then they’ll be long forgotten because Jada will be well past haggard looking. The same for Will.

by Anonymousreply 100March 30, 2022 12:34 PM

The audience in the theater saw discussions going on with at least some of the involved parties. Per that Vulture article, people in the balcony were hearing cheers at random times as Smith and others discussed things close to the front of the room, where most of the Academy members could see it. The audience saw people talking seriously to Smith, and Denzel apparently chewed him out (and a photo of Samuel L. Jackson makes it look like he had his hand on Smith's shoulder like "just stay right here and don't cause any more trouble") and people nearby could hear the discussion.

Then Smith won and apologized to the Academy and other nominees, and they got the impression that there was some kind of resolution in the works.

It's completely understandable. Jim Carrey doesn't know enough about the situation to be making these kinds of pronouncements.

by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2022 12:41 PM

The LAPD didn't "show up," they were already there, the LAPD is always at the ceremonies as part of the security and also for traffic control. They may have hassled Chris Rock, it wouldn't surprise me, but they didn't speed to the theater when it all went down, there were already quiet a few cops there.

by Anonymousreply 102March 30, 2022 12:42 PM

I could see if Jada was likeable but she’s not. Not one ounce of humility at all.

by Anonymousreply 103March 30, 2022 12:43 PM

* quite, not quiet

by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2022 12:44 PM

Your story keeps changing r101. First the audience was told there was “mediation” then its that they saw Denzel talking sternly.

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2022 12:57 PM

He’s right. Respect!!! Oscars a classy event until certain blacks showed up.

by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2022 1:03 PM

r105, I'm r101 but I am not r95. No, my story does not keep changing.

I don't know if the audience was told there were discussions or mediation going on. I know from the Vulture article, though, that they were seeing Smith talking to others, that there were discussions going on, and there are photos indicating that as well.

That's why I said that it makes sense for people in the audience to think there was some kind of resolution at hand, and their applause was relief, especially after the partial apology.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2022 1:04 PM

Not just Hollywood r2..all of america is now....

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2022 1:06 PM

In the future, Oscars should remove anyone from the ceremony who threatens violence or disrupts the ceremony. Which you would have thought was the policy. Will Smith should be banned from future telecasts for the next 2 or 3 years. His union should also punish him for this behavior.

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2022 1:44 PM

Silence = Acceptance

First Silence, then a standing ovation. Next day spin spin spin in the newspapers making Smith either look like a victim or a protector.

Silence + Spin = a slap on the wrist.

This is the Hollywood version of Survivor

by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2022 1:57 PM

Jim Carrey is right.

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2022 2:01 PM

Not sure the audience needed to stand but let's play devils advocate for a minute. What if they understand Will Smith's stress and are similarly living life beyond ordinary conventions? What if the politeness that keeps them from hitting people, keeps them clapping? What if it hadn't sunk in yet and they hadn't had time to gauge others' reactions? That's all I got.

In the immediate moment had my TV not gone silent I would have thought it was an act.

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2022 2:06 PM

I don’t think the public is accepting the “spin.” I think there will be very real repercussions from this for Will Smith and will also result in changes to the Academy Awards (including security in front of the stage for stage-rushers. Will Smith should never even have been able to rush onto the stage and strike a presenter for any reason. That was fucking ridiculous and a massive failure.)

by Anonymousreply 113March 30, 2022 2:07 PM

Between "on with the show" and a bit of uncertainty it wasn't staged, Will Smith smiled through most of it, I would have clapped too. They sort of rallied the show back on track. I don't care about Kevin Costner but he was on next with a grounding little moment. An adult!

by Anonymousreply 114March 30, 2022 2:21 PM

They were damned either way. If they didn't stand they were racist.

by Anonymousreply 115March 30, 2022 2:35 PM

And had I read earlier comments, yes, they saw discussions going on on the floor. So they took to it like someone had tripped!

by Anonymousreply 116March 30, 2022 2:36 PM

Jim Carrey spoke from his gut. Just ten minutes of this woman trying to justify assault from Smith. At least King said violence is never the answer.

by Anonymousreply 117March 30, 2022 3:10 PM

Lunatic Jim Carrey also spoke from his gut when he mouthraped teenage Alicia Silverstone when she presented him with a trophy at the MTV awards.

by Anonymousreply 118March 30, 2022 4:06 PM

Will needs to do a penance of some kind as an act of redemption.

But he won’t.

His career will probably stall a.bit. And then Tom Cruise will throw him a life line back into Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 119March 30, 2022 4:08 PM

The Smiths are pariahs now thanks to the Fresh Princess of Compton and GI Jada!

by Anonymousreply 120March 30, 2022 4:26 PM

What Smith did was horrible. No matter what happens his legacy is goig to be forever blemished. More than most black actors his age he has tried to carefully appeal to white middle class respectibility and now he is seen as just another rapping thug who acts (the one thing he tried to avoid). The irony of it all.

by Anonymousreply 121March 30, 2022 4:39 PM

The Academy is outraged! Appropriate action could take weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 30, 2022 5:20 PM

^ they will do absolutely nothing. Mark my words

by Anonymousreply 123March 30, 2022 5:27 PM

Take weeks? It was obvious right away. What needs to be discussed? Like what R123 said...just an appearance of being "serious", when they have no intention of doing anything. Fuck Hollywood and the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 124March 30, 2022 7:44 PM

No way they can do absolutely nothing. They will look foolish beyond belief. They have to do something.

by Anonymousreply 125March 30, 2022 7:58 PM

Will and Jada tried to hide behind their blackness with that Instagram post. So everyone who is mad at people for conflating blackness with bad decorum, blame them. Two of the most spoiled bel airy blacks on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 126March 30, 2022 8:03 PM

r112 I still think it was partially staged-the walk up, not necessarily the slap. I think Smith was supposed to pull a "Kanye" moment on the mic to "defend his wife's honour" and he got up there and lost it. Rock's reaction before and after was not consistent with a 20yr nightclub comic's when someone--anyone, rushes the stage.

by Anonymousreply 127March 30, 2022 8:14 PM

Google Will Smith + TikTok for new clues.

[quote] Me ‘n @jadapinkettsmith got all dressed up to choose chaos

by Anonymousreply 128March 30, 2022 8:15 PM

[quote]Google Will Smith + TikTok for new clues.

What is this. QAnon?

by Anonymousreply 129March 30, 2022 8:20 PM

r123 the Academy or TPTB? Two different things. I'll be interested to see if any blind items or flat out, attributed articles are written detailing the Smiths' real behaviour in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 130March 30, 2022 8:34 PM

The Academy in my view, will do nothing. I agree with you R130 that hit pieces or some such narratives on the Smiths are on the horizon. Not because of backlash necessarily, but because they likely exist, in abundance, given his behaviour on stage.

by Anonymousreply 131March 30, 2022 8:54 PM

R131 oh just the one? They've behaved like nasty narcissists for decades now.

by Anonymousreply 132March 30, 2022 8:55 PM

How much more can Hollywood continue to bleed doubloons? Will 14%of the population be able to sustain Hollywood? Will be interesting to see how they read the room? Nothing, even Hollywood is eternal or bullet proof in this age. The news cycle may be fast, but the displays by Princess Willamena & fam. is burned onto a lot of people's corneas. You can scrub the internet with brillo & comet & yet up it comes again.

Willamena demonstrated in real time all the stereotypes of black on black crime. Shame on him, shame on the Academy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 30, 2022 9:45 PM

If I had been there, I would have given Mr. Smith a stern warning!

by Anonymousreply 134March 30, 2022 10:01 PM

I think being arrested may be a bit much, but at the least security should have escorted him out right after he went back to his seat and he should be disciplined like being banned from the Oscars for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 135March 30, 2022 10:40 PM

I think Wanda Sykes speaking up about how it upset her will also hurt Will. Amy Schumer also said it but coming from a black person it may hurt more.

by Anonymousreply 136March 30, 2022 10:42 PM

His bringing up protecting the women involved with that film in his acceptance speech was weird as hell. But it was to cover his ass for the slap so he could claim he was protecting Jada.

by Anonymousreply 137March 30, 2022 10:45 PM

michael rapaport brings in another angle. should I post it as a new thread? jada is laughing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 30, 2022 11:07 PM

Jada was indeed laughing and enjoying the 'chivalry'.

by Anonymousreply 140March 30, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote]should I post it as a new thread?

Aren't there enough damn threads?

by Anonymousreply 141March 30, 2022 11:23 PM

that's why i asked r141.

by Anonymousreply 142March 30, 2022 11:24 PM

I would have thought it was obvious we don't need more threads. You've already posed the exact same question in another thread, r138.

by Anonymousreply 143March 30, 2022 11:27 PM

Post it, R138. It’s buried in this thread.

If others don’t like it, they can scroll on by.

For all the effort you placed posting it everywhere else but a new thread, people need to be aware that Jada LAUGHED when the presenter was assaulted (which btw was a crime).

by Anonymousreply 144March 30, 2022 11:33 PM

Jada’s a filthy pig.

by Anonymousreply 145March 30, 2022 11:34 PM

Thanks to Will the Academy is going to end up making a rule like BAFTA that any act of violence the person will be escorted off stage and not allowed to accept their award in person. Wish they had been quicker on their feet to do something like that Sunday night.

by Anonymousreply 146March 30, 2022 11:35 PM

that's why I asked in multiple threads r143/cunt. now go wipe your pus filled ass again.

by Anonymousreply 147March 30, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] Thanks to Will the Academy is going to end up making a rule like BAFTA that any act of violence the person will be escorted off stage and not allowed to accept their award in person. Wish they had been quicker on their feet to do something like that Sunday night.

They have such a rule: look at their 2018 bylaws.

No stating the obvious is going to prevent some lunatic from going all aggro and committing a crime on live tv just as Will Smith did.

The Academy failed hugely in this event by not showing any decency themselves. Their lack of action made them look like absolute FOOLS.

by Anonymousreply 148March 30, 2022 11:40 PM

The Academy needs to snatch that Oscar right back and leave him bald.

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2022 11:41 PM

r148 I didn't know they already had a rule. Then they look even worse not escorting him out. He looked unhinged when he was yelling from his seat after the slap.

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2022 11:42 PM

If the rule was already on the books, those bitches better enforce it.

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2022 11:44 PM

They ARE all spineless. To begin with, most actors and actresses don’t have an opinion, they’re narcissistic fame whores. So they are accustomed to quickly reading the room for the consensus on how to react because they simply don’t know how to react unless it has to do with them. So the act instead of react.

Meanwhile, many of them now live in constant fear of being cancelled. The slap was all too much for them to process..”wait, violence is bad”…”but black people are good”…”but making mean jokes…that’s kind of like bullying and bullying is bad, right?”

by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2022 11:45 PM

Where's Cary Grant as an angel when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 154March 31, 2022 12:05 AM

Jim Carrey is the voice of reason?

by Anonymousreply 156March 31, 2022 12:31 AM

Why would they applaud? Makes little to no sense. The presenter should have jammed the award up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 157March 31, 2022 12:47 AM

Will is getting called a cuck closet case by comedians, so he fucked with the wrong group.

by Anonymousreply 158March 31, 2022 12:51 AM

Aquaman and Spiderman were in attendance. So much for superheroes

by Anonymousreply 159March 31, 2022 12:54 AM

r155

by Anonymousreply 160March 31, 2022 12:58 AM

Mamoa was all over Kate Beckinsale at the after parties, he is more of a lover than a fighter. ;)

by Anonymousreply 161March 31, 2022 1:57 AM

^ Kate Beckinsale is all over anything that moves and can get her publicity

by Anonymousreply 162March 31, 2022 3:06 AM

The Academy did nothing because they were intimidated by Smith's anger and the certain claims of them being "racist" if they did anything to remonstrate him.

by Anonymousreply 163March 31, 2022 3:53 PM

R152 for the win.

by Anonymousreply 164April 1, 2022 2:29 AM

I used to belong to the SAG movie club. It is a subscription within SAG for people who love movies and love being in a theater of actors who love movies. Once upon a time a movie with a big budget and an interesting science fiction plot played and when it was over, an audience of acting whores, who usually clapped till their hands bled, sheepishly looked around and gave a smattering of unenthusiastic claps. If SAG whores could give a cold response to Spielberg's AI, then the AMPAS audience should have booed King Smith. Weak as water.

by Anonymousreply 165April 1, 2022 2:41 AM

R122 the Academy is weak, spineless, untruthful and hypocritical. They allowed a man who assaulted a man during the televised event to ramble on for nearly 6 minutes during his acceptance speech without having the orchestra play him off as was done to others.

by Anonymousreply 166April 1, 2022 4:07 AM

R152 yes.

by Anonymousreply 167April 1, 2022 5:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 1, 2022 4:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 2, 2022 2:49 AM

Carrey's not the problem. Smith's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 170April 2, 2022 2:53 AM

Is it just me being “thick skinned” or what because I don’t consider a kiss sexual assault? Sexual assault to me is attempted rape or molesting someone. Everything sexually violating that can’t be technically classified as rape because there’s no penetration.

by Anonymousreply 171April 2, 2022 2:53 AM

Sticking your tongue into another human being when it is not welcome, is a sexual assault. Probably battery as well.

by Anonymousreply 172April 2, 2022 1:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!