Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Autumn Leaves

I love Joan in this with Cliff Robertson as her younger lover. I think it's one of her best pictures. She seems very vulnerable in it. Was happy to find the movie on youtube!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 17, 2024 9:34 PM

I like it too!

Her character is kind of like Mildred Pierce with a typewriter...instead of the pies, cakes, and chicken restaurants

And Cliff Robertson is kind of like more attractive Veda...

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2022 11:03 PM

Never watched it but Nat King Cole and the title song is everything. Might watch it later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2022 11:05 PM

My favorite scene is where she reads her in laws for filth when they come to visit her husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2022 11:06 PM

I almost watched it the other day. Maybe will give it a chance later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2022 11:07 PM

R1. Also minus the smell of grease! My mother, a common waitress!

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2022 11:08 PM

^ also without Lotte the maid

but who needs a maid in this fabulous modern apartment

where a gal can just sit in a lawn chair on her porch without her panties

and catch so much young dick!

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2022 11:15 PM

Sometimes if I'm not...seeing...you know a man...regularly

I type my name on the walls of Men's Rooms...

"For a good time, call Biltmore-549"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2022 11:21 PM

This movie's original title was "The Way We Were"

but they changed it to capitalize on the Nat King Cole hit song

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2022 11:23 PM

I thought the whole father-in-law/daughter-in-law incest theme was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2022 11:26 PM

Crawford loved working with director Robert Aldrich (who later directed her in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"), and she loved this movie.

She felt everything clicked, and the movie was a modest success.

But Crawford felt it was overshadowed and didn't get the appreciation it deserved.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2022 11:28 PM

This movie was unusual for the sensitive way it dealt with Mental Illness.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2022 11:30 PM

I loved that she was a work at home typist in pearls and high heels. I work from home in my pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2022 11:34 PM

^ She also got fucked by young hot men

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2022 11:39 PM

I don't know, I felt the movie lacked something...

Maybe a young hot daughter who was secretly carrying on with Burt Hanson behind Milly's back?

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2022 11:42 PM

What's better, this or All that heaven allows? They seem to be similar

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2022 11:52 PM

I am. A fan of this movie. She was turning into a parody of herself by this point . However, the acting was excellent and Cliff R was hot! Agree re title song being wonderful

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2022 12:00 AM

[quote]What's better, this or All that heaven allows? They seem to be similar

Well, perhaps if you look again

You'll notice that only "Autumn Leaves" starred Miss Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2022 12:14 AM

Jane was no dyke, and I'm the man that can prove it!

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2022 12:34 AM

Joan showing what showing what she must have been like at home. After she calls Vera Miles a slut, you want her to do it again. But she has to be Joan Crawford the movie star and start crying after the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2022 12:43 AM

Great flick. The scene in which Cliff Robertson bounces an Underwood off Joanie's arm is worth the price of admission.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2022 12:47 AM

This movie always makes me crave chicken salad- with no bread.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2022 12:47 AM

I agree, OP. I sat on the fence with seeing this film as others have indicated in this thread. However, I can say that I was so glad to have given it a chance after having viewed it.

Crawford really was a fine film actress, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2022 12:47 AM

I would have hit her harder{mostly for art's sake}.

Cliff said that Crawford insisted he drop by her home. Upon arrival, Crawford dropped her robe and made him drop trou. Some way to meet your idol. I wonder if she wore her pumps?

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2022 12:55 AM

R22 I love Joan! She was indeed a fine actress. I love Mildred Pierce, but this movie is great too! The younger man story is wonderful (and they don't make a big deal about it). I think Joan is a little more vulnerable in this role. And Lorne Greene is so good in the role, that I very much dislike him.

I truly looked this movie up because I ordered a great haul from Zabar's-shipped from New York to California, including chicken salad, and it reminded me of the film. I love how they meet and each order chicken salad with no bread. I guess they both looked so good because they were doing low carb before it was a thing.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2022 12:56 AM

but evidently Crawford was very diva-ish on/off the set, she was not interested in promoting the film on tour, probably it's because she wanted Marlon Brando to be his co-star bud didn't get him.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2022 12:59 AM

Great. Now I'm typing fat. I want chicken salad. Hold the bread, please.

It is a good film.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote]Jane was no dyke, and I'm the man that can prove it! - Ronnie

Shut up and sit down, Ronnie.

I'll peg you with my biggest dildo when I'm back from shopping with Betsy Bloomingdale.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2022 2:19 AM

Whatever you may think of Joan...

she could wear the hell outta of a pair of 1950s Spring-o-lator mules in this movie

She still had a good figure (even if they used the soft focus on her face in the close-ups)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2022 2:48 AM

Darlings,

How wonderful of you to start this tribute to one of my favorite movies!

So encouraging for a mature actress...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2022 2:55 AM

This is the only movie role I've seen where Vera Miles played the scheming femme fatale...

in her white halter-top dress

She normally played the more wholesome type

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2022 3:04 AM

I think the old landlady Liz was queer for Joan...

In some ways, they'd have been more compatible

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2022 3:13 AM

R30, I believe she was originally supposed to play the role of Judy/Madeleine in Vertigo but got pregnant. Hitch had big plans for her.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2022 3:24 AM

Reply 28 cracked me up, until I looked up Spring-O-Lator Mules. Turns out, that's exactly what they were called. The "fuck me pumps" must have been a forties thing?

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2022 3:25 AM

"Twinkle Toes". Spring-O-Lator... it stays with you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2022 3:28 AM

I am loving this thread.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2022 3:30 AM

[quote] What's better, this or All that heaven allows? They seem to be similar

All That Heaven Allows. It's just as campy, but it has a superlative performance in it by Jane Wyman (and a fine small performance in it by Sheila James as her daughter). And it has one of the greatest moments in film history in it: when the new TV set is wheeled out and its screen reflects Jane's mortified face in it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2022 3:32 AM

R30 when Vera went to Europe to film they changed her name to Vera Kilometers.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2022 3:33 AM

R6- Millie I have some advice for you-

DROP the Kegels

It's time for you to try the THIGHMASTER

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2022 3:36 AM

I apologize for misspelling your name Milly.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2022 3:37 AM

Joan shows off her 500 pairs of shoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2022 3:38 AM

R36, that was Movie Studio anti-television propaganda...

The studios were terrified of what TV would do to their domination of the entertainment market, and they were right to be.

Debbie Reynolds said that when the movie magazines would show up to take publicity photos, the studio rep would throw a blanket over her television, so it couldn't be seen in the background.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2022 3:38 AM

Robertson was a Columbia contract player (hence the big billing even if he came last). Brando, in those days wouldn't have gone near something like this. It's funny how she got the Ross Hunter treatment without ever being in a Ross Hunter film.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2022 3:39 AM

Do I spy Joan sporting a pair of Spring-O-Lator mules?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2022 3:41 AM

Crawford was brilliant at reinventing herself.

She helped make the ankle-strap shoe iconic during the 1940s.

But she knew when it was time to update her look.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2022 3:42 AM

Her poor assistant. She had to "handsies/kneesies scrub Crawford's floors, bleach her sex toys and scrape gum and crap off of all those shoe bottoms. All with a fake smile on her face, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2022 3:49 AM

Handsie/kneesie is the ONLY way to clean a floor.

I knew that before I ever met her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2022 4:16 AM

Speed watched it. Nice. Thanks, OP.

your filthy souls are too evil for hell itself.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2022 4:27 AM

She's so completely committed to the material, so even if it's only half good it's pretty great.

Joan followed this with the even more sinister The Story of Esther Costello. She was lucky to still be headlining decently budgeting films into her fifties, but to actually get interesting, socially challenging themes is impressive for that era.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2022 6:58 AM

[quote] All That Heaven Allows. It's just as campy, but it has a superlative performance in it by Jane Wyman (and a fine small performance in it by Sheila James as her daughter).

There's a slight resemblance, but Zelda Gilroy didn't play Jane's daughter; Gloria "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" Talbott did.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2022 7:17 AM

I walk my kitty around in a pair of Spring-o-Later mules...

oh yeah, and sometimes the poodle comes too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2022 4:10 PM

[quote]Joan shows off her 500 pairs of shoes.

Amateur!

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2022 5:08 PM

Yes, Burt may be younger than I am

but there's still plenty of spring

in my Spring-o-Later mules

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2022 8:47 PM

Go watch Crawfish in "The Damned Don't Cry". It's excellent. Joan is really playing herself in that film.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2022 3:15 AM

One of my favorite Joan Crawford films. Cliff Robertson was such a hunk. This needs a Blu-ray release.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2022 6:32 PM

Ahh, Cliff.

Never "postcard pretty." But eminently do-able.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2022 6:40 PM

I've seen this movie a long time ago. I think was TCM...and liked it. I just watched it again on YouTube. Wow...the performances by Crawford and Robertson are excellent. I'm really impressed with Joan in this. The vulnerability and angst of Millie....you can really feel it. I think this performance by her was better than Mildred Pierce (that was great, too) and deserved an Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2022 9:55 PM

Crawford was great in Humoresque, too. I think angst roles were her forte...and does tough very well.

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2022 10:09 PM

I love Ruth Donnelly in this movie. A scene stealer in everything she's in, and Joan didn't seem to mind. She's great in so many Warner Brothers films of the 30's, and worked into the 1970's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2022 10:16 PM

For once, it's Joan getting a slap down. And she loved every second. She'd already had Cliff, next to her pool cabana.

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2022 1:10 AM

"All That Heaven Allows" is a much better film, for the poster who asked.

It's also quite campy, but it has moments that are still heartbreaking today: Jane Wyman promising her sobbing daughter she won't date Rock Hudson because her friends are making fun of her, Wyman's horrified expression reflected in the teen of her new TV set when she realizes her family have given it to her to keep her from leaving the house....

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2022 1:18 AM

Cliff is such a hot little thing in this movie

by Anonymousreply 61February 17, 2024 2:12 PM

I fucking loved Sudden Fear when I saw it a couple of years ago

by Anonymousreply 62February 17, 2024 2:20 PM

I could still wipe the floor with that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 63February 17, 2024 2:55 PM

[quote]She still had a good figure

It's kind of amazing how she was a raging alcoholic for decades yet always stayed slim and fit, and her face never got puffy.

by Anonymousreply 64February 17, 2024 9:11 PM

I was underwhelmed, and even frustrated by the ending. BUT...this film confronts mental illness in a positive way for the time, and the ending is integral to that.

It's just a shame Joan never got the help ahe needed. But playing in a movie about mental illness, and actually admitting one has a separate, but similar probem, is an entirely different matter.

by Anonymousreply 65February 17, 2024 9:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!