Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WeCrashed - Jared Leto and Anne Hathaway series on Apple +

Anyone watching? I think Jared is miscast as douche bro Adam Neumann but I'm enjoying AnnE as ubercunt Rebekah Neumann (and cousin of Gwyneth).

Not great, but I think it's a step above other grifting to TV series Inventing Anna or The Dropout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2023 12:43 PM

I’ve been watching them all - Inventing Anna, The Dropout, Super Pumped, etc. - I have a pretty insatiable appetite for scammers and hubristic downfall stories.

I’m only one episode in, but so far I’m enjoying it a lot more than the reviews would suggest. AnnE is really fun as the holier-than-thou bitch on wheels. and while I could see it getting repetitive, I liked watching Leto neg people and playing on their emotions to get them to buy into his dream.

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2022 7:16 PM

Can't stand either of them.

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2022 7:29 PM

Just starting watching this and can’t believe it wasn’t better reviewed. It’s super entertaining and Anne is crushing it as Gwyneth’s even more pretentious and out of touch cousin.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2022 1:36 AM

AnnE is pretty great (I'm on Episode 2). Leto is solid but that character is just so annoying (as grifters who don't take no tend to be).

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2022 1:50 AM

You're a SUPER NOVA.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2022 1:57 AM

I wanted to like it but I'm finding it boring and I also can't stand Jared Leto. Hated Inventing Anna btw but am loving The Dropout and the Renee Z one.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2022 2:18 AM

Elevating the world's consciousness.

I'd never heard of the Neumans before this show and didn't realise Jared Leto's accent was Israeli to begin with.

I'm still not sure how WeWork got to such a high it could have a spectacular crash. I'd never heard of it before this show.

But it's an enjoyable show about some awful people. Anne Hathaway in particular makes a good job of humanising a deeply unpleasant and resentful person. The contacts are a bit distracting though.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2022 5:14 PM

I'm loving it

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2022 5:15 AM

Israelis have a snake oil salesman gene.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2022 5:21 AM

Easily the best of the horrible rich tech grifters shows. At least for me.

That's because, at least for the first few episodes, I truly believed the two loved each other. Sure, they were insane. Megalomaniacs. Pretty horrible. But I bought that they really loved each other in a whacky, out there sort of way. And that made me understand their humanity and even root for them a little more than I did, say, Elizabeth Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2022 5:51 AM

If you live in NYC, you know cunts like Rebekah Neumann. They're everywhere around here. Awful, awful cunts.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2022 12:26 AM

Binged watched last weekend and also loved it mostly for the great acting, the characters themselves are truly bad. I lol so hard when they asked her about her teachers, her answer: "well it's only mother nature and his holiness the Dalai Lama". The pretensiousness of it all it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2022 12:49 AM

Jared Leto shows off his lovely feets in this quite often so it’s a thumbs up from me.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2022 1:09 AM

This is such a brutal takedown, loving it!

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2022 2:54 AM

[quote]I think Jared is miscast

Who would you cast instead?

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2022 5:31 AM

Jared Leto has had some excellent work done.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2022 2:01 AM

I hate fake nose acting but nonetheless it seems to work?

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2022 8:52 AM

How does Jared Leto keep getting cast in things?

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2022 8:57 AM

This is way more entertaining than the Mandy Seyfried snoozefest (although she’s very good in it).

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2022 8:02 PM

Really digging it so far (I'm on episode 4) and think Hathaway is perfectly cast. She went to the same high school as my husband which is full of girls like Rebekah so I suspect she knows the type well.

Leto's Israeli accent is on point and he's doing a good job with Adam too--there's more of a physical resemblance there than I would have thought.

WeWork was a great idea, people who had space there really liked them, really liked working at a WeWork pre-pandemic, especially people who were new in a city and were looking for something resembling community.

by Anonymousreply 20May 9, 2022 11:54 AM

Just finished and I thought it was excellent. Viewer reviews seem much higher than critical ones.

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2022 4:54 PM

I loved it! I watched the documentary first (on Hulu), which is great background going into this.

They are truly hateful people--particularly Rebekah who is absolutely insufferable and kind of evil. (abusive to staff).

I said this on a Harry/Meghan thread: Rebekah and Adam's relationship reminds me of Harry and Megan. Rebekah is an insufferable and hypocritical SJW, who thinks vegetarianism and spouting empty liberal platitudes elevators her above mere mortals. She controls Adam by pivoting between smothering/coddling him as if he was a baby and being cold, withholding mother when he displeases her.

Jared and Anne were pitch perfect in the roles. The series tried to inject some empathy into Rebekah, but it couldn't stand up to the 99% of her that's just plain awful.

And the series is super fun and well made. I highly recommend it. But watch the documentary, too. That's equally good.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2022 5:02 PM

I'm R22: Also I find Rebekah's interview about WeLearn hilarious. You can see that Goop is using all of her acting skills to pretend to be interested in the crap Rebekah's spewing. I laugh each time I see a clip of it. Please, please, please don't watch the full hour interview. I don't want to torture by beloved DLs. Just skip around to a few places and look at Goop's expression. You can tell that she's mentally checked out and thinking about her grocery list or anything except for what Rebekah is saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2022 5:07 PM

oops! I'm R23. The link above isn't to the Gwyneth and Rebekah interview. I can't find it on Youtube. But if you watch the documentary you'll see a clip of it. It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2022 5:09 PM

[quote] She controls Adam by pivoting between smothering/coddling him as if he was a baby and being cold, withholding mother when he displeases her.

This is bullshit.

Adam Neuman is an independent thinker who is responsible for his own successes and failures. He has agency and is not controlled by his dreadfully unappealing wife.

Stop blaming women for things awful men do.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2022 5:17 PM

r23 that interview is excruciating. Rebekah is such a self-absorbed twat, she does nothing but speak in platitudes. And she's really hard on the eyes too.

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2022 5:48 PM

Rebekah looks an awful lot like Bruce Paltrow, Gwyneth's dad. Much more so than Gwyneth herself.

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2022 5:53 PM

The woman who reviewed it (mostly positively) in the New Yorker, who is Israeli herself, said Leto really nailed the Israeli accent.

At times I had trouble believing they could really be that “cringe,” as the youngs say. But apparently they could.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2022 5:54 PM

Anne Hathaway really nailed Rebekah. The superior attitude and condescending tone of voice, just behaving like she was more elevated and enlightened that other mere mortals, Hathaway was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 29May 11, 2022 5:55 PM

Playing a holier than thou bitch-on-wheels isn’t exactly stretching AnnE’s acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 30May 11, 2022 6:11 PM

I know nothing about Anne's personal life or why she's hated by the OCD weirdos on DL. All I know is that she's a consistently strong actress.

by Anonymousreply 31May 11, 2022 6:19 PM

Anne Hathaway seems perfectly nice and decent in real life.

She’s super-earnest and energetic and neurotic which is easy to mock, but she doesn’t seem to be a mean-girl Kate Hudson/Lea Michele type.

by Anonymousreply 32May 11, 2022 6:24 PM

To me, Anne Hathaway is so specific-looking that she is still Anne Hathaway to me in whatever role she is playing.

I have no other comments about her. Not a hater.

by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2022 6:25 PM

Has Sarah Silverman or David Baddiel denounced Jared Leto giving himself Jew-Face (ok, Jew-Nose) rather than casting an actual Jew?

by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2022 6:27 PM

R25 is evidently unfamiliar with the concept of “pussywhipping.”

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote]Anne Hathaway really nailed Rebekah. The superior attitude and condescending tone of voice, just behaving like she was more elevated and enlightened that other mere mortals, Hathaway was perfect.

I did feel sorry for Rebekah because Rebekah's life was so disappointing and dissatisfied, entitled and vacuous to a point of being hollow. The scenes with America Ferrara (also very good) were great because you could see Rebekah wanting to be a good person and trying to be, but ultimately being bitter and jaded.

by Anonymousreply 36May 11, 2022 7:28 PM

America Ferrera was great in this.

by Anonymousreply 37May 11, 2022 7:33 PM

She was R37-- to the point where I did not realize it was her, but thought "that actor looks sort of like America Ferrera..." (and then looked up who it was on IMDb and realized why.)

As I had noted upthread, my husband grew up in the same town /went to the same high school as Hathaway--she was a few yeas older than him--and there were many girls like "Rifka" there and we both knew kids who went to the summe camp where they had the big party.

Miguel also came off very badly in the series -- a completely spineless milquetoast who seemingly did not have a life outside of work or a sex life, though Google reveals he was married and divorced during his time there. (He is also 6' 8" in real life)

I wonder how much he came away with.

by Anonymousreply 38May 11, 2022 7:49 PM

r38 I'm sure Miguel never has to work a day again for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 39May 11, 2022 7:50 PM

Hathaway as Rebekah was such a smug, self-centered, holier-than-thou bitch you just wished somebody would've smacked her.

by Anonymousreply 40May 11, 2022 7:58 PM

Really enjoyable satire, despite a miscast Leto.

The real Adam Neumann (shown in the end credits of the last episode) was much more atractive than freaky, eye-lifted, botoxed Jared Leto (and about a decade younger). And he didn't sound like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, either.

by Anonymousreply 41May 11, 2022 8:19 PM

Oh, and a big thumbs up for O-T Fagbenle as Leto's primary antagonist.

by Anonymousreply 42May 11, 2022 8:24 PM

Leto was wonderful in this. He got Neumann's manic personality down.

by Anonymousreply 43May 11, 2022 8:25 PM

Two insufferable and pretentious hacks. How do they still have careers?

by Anonymousreply 44May 11, 2022 8:28 PM

Have you ever heard Neumann on video? Leto really did manage to nail his Israeli accent.

But yes, Neumann was better looking than Leto, Rebekah was not nearly as good looking as Hathaway and Miguel was actually not a bad looking guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 11, 2022 8:57 PM

Leto is better looking than Neumann

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2022 8:57 PM

O-T Fagbenle was fantastic as the only adult in the room.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2023 4:09 AM

No one wants to watch Jared Leto do anything. Hathaway still out here making terrible choices.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2023 4:12 AM

Hathaway is in a new movie with Michaela Coel, directed by David Lowery, so that's a good call. Or at least it appears so at first glance, hopefully it doesn't end up being a turd.

I agree about Leto. I find him too creepy, I can't watch anything he's in.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2023 4:59 AM

I thought Leto’s eyes were makeup for the show. Holy hell, his cosmetic surgeon did a Redford on him.

That said he was very good in this, as was Anne.

Though I thought the way 2 or 3 of his Führer style rants were filmed were in poor taste given the character is Israeli, but maybe I’m being over sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2023 12:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!