Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood political correctness

There are a lot of assholes and hypocrites in Hollywood. So it's a scream to see them make fools of themselves by bending over backwards to appease PC zealots.

Just one example of many: Filmmakers like Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig are now casting minorities in in principle roles.

by Anonymousreply 65March 21, 2022 3:23 PM

I have an example. After decades of making movies where every single lead is white, Hollywood is experimenting with sometimes including black people in movies. OH the political correctness! I'm being crushed under the weight of all this anti-white racism! Great thread, op.

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2022 1:39 AM

Good. If Hollywood only followed what the most conservative elements of this country wanted, it never would've progressed beyond [italic]Birth of a Nation[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2022 1:56 AM

OP, the zealots and hypocrites are Republicans like you. You whine about "small government" but pass "Don't Say Gay" laws and bullshit laws banning "critical race theory" (a concept you dummies can't even define).

Do you freepers even use the term political correctness anymore? I thought you moved on to "woke"

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2022 1:59 AM

Anne Boleyn was black and "Boys Don't Cry" was transphobic!

Rosie O'Donnell and Michael J. Fox are ableist because they portrayed retards!

Snow White is anti-dwarf. Only tall people can play dwarves!

Cocoon was ageist, should have been hot young people in the roles!

That movie about autists that Sia did should have been made by an autist! It would still be in pre-development at this stage but that's true representation!

Tired of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2022 2:02 AM

Sick of all this PC shit

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2022 2:02 AM

I have to pay attention to closing credits more often to see if they're now referring to "Best Boy" as "Best Person#." ;)

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2022 2:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2022 3:25 AM

"Principal roles," OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2022 3:40 AM

[quote]Just one example of many: Filmmakers like Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig are now casting minorities in in principle roles.

Horrors! There are NON-WHITE people in their films?? And they're not just playing trees?!

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2022 4:05 AM

It's just a bandwagon to jump on, like long hair and love beads.

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2022 4:22 AM

r9 Yes, we're going to be doing an Asian version of Roots to combat Asian hate and white supremacy.

STD - Representation is important! That's why we're including a non-binary and trans characters that lack personality, decent backgrounds or plots because yes, dahling, superficial and empty diversity is the most important thing to have.. they're the most fashionable accessories of the season. Eddy was right!

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2022 4:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2022 4:56 AM

As a person of color (Asian), I welcome seeing people who look like me onscreen. I grew up in a very conservative part of CA and my early years were watching white people in tv and movies and seeing white people playing Asians like Mickey Rooney (yep, I'm old). I don't know what OP is all upset about. I live in CA and it's mostly diverse anyway. Hollywood is only reflecting current culture. (However, I do think a black person playing Ann Boleyn is stupid).

Back in the 70s, I was friends with an Asian theatre group. But they could not break into film or tv because they only wanted white people.

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2022 5:26 AM

R13 there have been several studies done on representation in Hollywood...even by woke sites like Variety..yes, whites are overepresented...but guess what...so are blacks. The peeps getting screwed are asian/latinos/american indians etc.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2022 5:44 AM

There is this quote about Hollywood that has always come to mind but never moreso than when a bunch of actresses wo knew damn fucking well what was going on with a certain Harvey Weinstein all this time, or if they didn't, they didn't care, decided to show up in black dresses for all the award ceremonies because of the fear they be shunned by Hollywood society and make their agents/publicists 2 million dollars less etc.

"Hollywood is a frontier land ruled by fear and love of money, but it can't rule me because I'm not afraid of everything and I don't love money"

Marlon Brando.

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2022 5:52 AM

[quote]I have an example. After decades of making movies where every single lead is white, Hollywood is experimenting with sometimes including black people in movies. OH the political correctness! I'm being crushed under the weight of all this anti-white racism! Great thread, op.

Decades of movies where every single lead is white? You never saw any movies, did you? Will Smith and Denzel Washington are superstars. What about Eddie Murphy, Idris Elba, Morgan Freeman, Richard Pryor, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Rock, Ice Cube? Sidney Poitier starred in movies going back to the 1950s and was a superstar of the 60s and 70s. Harry Belafonte was starring in movies from the 1950s onward. Dorothy Dandridge. Diana Ross, Whoopi Goldberg, Halle Berry...on and on.

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2022 5:55 AM

Is there a guess as to the color of OP's skin? What could it be? What a mystery!

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2022 6:00 AM

Scarlett Johansson should play everybody!

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2022 6:05 AM

You are NOT allowed to talk about race. We will burn books and use the full power of the government to stop your speech.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2022 6:08 AM

To clarify Brando's quote was said in the 50's.....just goes to show how little things have changed,

by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2022 6:09 AM

Marlon Brando got HUGE paychecks for even the smallest parts. Even when he couldn't remember his lines and had them fed to him through an earpiece.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2022 6:12 AM

R1 "I have an example. After decades of making movies where every single lead is white, Hollywood is experimenting with sometimes including black people in movies. OH the political correctness! I'm being crushed under the weight of all this anti-white racism! Great thread, op."

Oh gee, thank you Hollywood overlords for "experimenting" by casting black people in movies! This experimentation has been such an organic process and not a last-minute attempt at saving their own asses! Not at all! Thank goodness people in Hollywood are so genuine that they can all wake up one day and decide "Hey! You know what? Not enough black people or non-white actors in leading roles! Let's do something about this". Such synchronicity!

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2022 6:12 AM

R21 oh for sure...Brando ,ay not have LOVED money but he liked money.....especially if he could weasel it out of the Hollywood trillionaries that didn't know better....was he however ruled by the fear of losing that money, or a love of it? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2022 6:15 AM

"Diversity" and "inclusion" are daggers of death in the heart of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Who gives a fucking shit about OP, a fucking troll who comes here to spread his legs and shit on the carpet. If you want hypocrites all you have to do is look at conservatives, who actually make policy we all have to live with. If you don't want to see a fucking movie DON'T BUY A FUCKING TICKET.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2022 6:16 AM

Hollywood assholes? How about Republican assholes who shove their racism and homophobia down our throats with actual LAWS you fucking, FUCKING moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2022 6:21 AM

ASSHOLES. FUCKING NAZI ASSHOLES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2022 6:24 AM

R26 doesn't that bill just basically say you can't mention sexuality to students at a primary school level? I might be wrong in that and welcome being proven wrong otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2022 6:25 AM

Poor Viola.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2022 6:26 AM

Noah Baumbach writes exclusively about the Jewish experience, so now he's going to be having black people in his films?

Remember how Woody Allen was castigated for having so few minorities in his films? Something tells me Noah Baumbach will be ridiculed for daring to write for a black actor. Let's see.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2022 6:29 AM

American Nazism returns in the United States in 2022 thanks to Republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2022 6:29 AM

[quote] doesn't that bill just basically say you can't mention sexuality to students at a primary school level?

No. The language of the bill left it open to extend beyond that grade level.

Fuck Florida!

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2022 6:30 AM

r28 Most seem to be confused about it. And the most vocal that are either for it or against it, seem to have other agendas and are intentionally obfuscating the issue... instead treating it as if it were a sociopolitical purity test.

Interestingly, there's many LGBT that agree with the general premise but fear the party it's coming from and the overall collateral damage or impact it will have within American society.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2022 6:33 AM

Stand back and stand by.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2022 6:35 AM

R32, here's the thing, I don't believe discussion of any kind about sexuality, hetero or otherwise, belongs in an elementary school (I certainly think it belongs in middle school/high school when sex ed becomes a thing).

So I suppose it should be left to the parents to see what is taught when the time comes and if homosexuality/gayness/transgenderism is NOT mentioned along with every other aspect of human sexuality THAT is when it is time to protest.

I think it IS important that parents actually take an interest in what is taught (or not taught) to their kids in schools.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2022 6:38 AM

Thank you, Karen, thanks ever so.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2022 6:39 AM

They were teaching sex Ed in primary schools 30 years ago.

Most of these parents likely learned it then.

Why? Too many pregnant 11y.o. that didn't even understand they were about to give birth to another human being shortly.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2022 6:48 AM

Isn't the Florida bill just covering up to third grade?

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2022 6:52 AM

But what about those asshole Hollywood political correctors? They are forcing me to buy tickets. What about my rights to live in a free theater?

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2022 6:53 AM

Renaming this bill “Don’t say gay” is just another way for the trans hysterics to push their agenda using the credibility of the gay community since their own is blown to shit. Yes, the initial bill is about blocking discussion about gender identity and sexual orientation from grade K-3. I do think they should be given some sort of basic information that sometimes kids have two mommies or two daddies, but this isn’t exactly a hill Im going to die on.

The “don’t say gay” bills in other states is mainly about not giving puberty blockers to grade school kids and I deeply resent being thrown under the bus to give the impression that that is anything that me and the vast majority of the actual gay people I know would support. Has absolutely nothing to do with gay.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2022 7:04 AM

How dare that liberal Hollywood asshole Steven Spielberg cast Puerto Ricans as Puerto Ricans! Bring back the brown make up so I will feel comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2022 7:06 AM

Ariana DeBose is half white!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2022 7:14 AM

Puerto Rico is mixed. Asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2022 7:24 AM

Actually I just checked and Debose is half black!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2022 7:36 AM

There's also a lot of straight filmmakers who have been forced to thrown in penises because they're afraid of being accused of sexism/nudity inequality. That's probably good thing for people who want more penis in their movies/shows.

by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2022 2:26 AM

Hollywood types are craven oppurtunists, so it would make sense that many of them would weaponize political correctness.

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2022 2:33 AM

Oh, please, OP. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2022 2:59 AM

What was that about craven opportunism? Or was it crass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2022 2:59 AM

Hey OP, how much does the racist Republican party pay you to shit all over this website?

by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2022 3:07 AM

Get mah gun Martha! There's black people on the TV again!

by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2022 3:10 AM

I wash mahself with a rag on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote] (However, I do think a black person playing Ann Boleyn is stupid).

Because you only see a Black woman, you don't see an actress. You never knew Anne Boleyn so why should her being played by a Black woman matter?

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2022 3:17 AM

R52 because it totally turns upside down any reason why Henry would have dumped her for Jane Seymour and had her beheaded. It looks like he was a racist instead of a horndog who was desperate to have a male heir.

The worst example of color-blind casting I ever saw was a production at the National in London of His Dark Materials. The heroine is a little girl Lyra who was played by a blonde actress who looked like a very young Renee Zellwegger. Her parentage is mysterious through most of the play. Her guardian is Lord Asriel. Her mother turns out to be the evil Mrs. Coulter and was played by Lesley Manville. The big dramatic moment is when Lord Asriel admits to Lyra he is her father, not just her guardian. Problem was Lord Asriel was played by David Harewood, a black actor. A very dark-skinned black actor. When he made the dramatic announcement to Lyra that he was her father... a muffled titter ran around the room.

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2022 3:30 AM

Rebel Wilson at the BAFTAs: Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen and Gender-fluid youth... that wouldn't pass at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2022 3:36 AM

OP at R53

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2022 3:38 AM

every bloody commercial has a mixed race couple. Now we have chubby women who look like the neighbor. If I wanted to see fuggos in jeans shirts and capri pants, I’d go to my local grocery in suburbia.

by Anonymousreply 56March 20, 2022 3:55 AM

Worse case of color blind casting I have seen as of late, though this is more theatre than film, a white Blanche and black Stella in A streetcar named desire.

Look, I can suspend disbelief and deal with a black Stanley or Mitch....I am also more than ok with an all black/non white production. But to ask me to pretend that 2 FUCKING SISTERS FROM A RICH PLANTATION IN MISSISIPPI IN ONE OF THE MOST SEGREGATED AND RACIST PERIODS IN US HISTORY could magically be of 2 very different races....I repeat they are supposed to be SISTERS....is just too fucking much.

Just make both Blanche and Stella black, at least they'd be believable as sisters.

by Anonymousreply 57March 20, 2022 6:23 AM

[quote]You never knew Anne Boleyn so why should her being played by a Black woman matter?

Perhaps because she was a real person, not just a character, who was most definitely not black.

by Anonymousreply 58March 20, 2022 6:54 AM

[quote]Because you only see a Black woman, you don't see an actress. You never knew Anne Boleyn so why should her being played by a Black woman matter?

R52 I'm not sure if this is parody. I never knew Winston Churchill but I know he wasn't black.

by Anonymousreply 59March 20, 2022 7:06 PM

I haven't seen a TV commercial in ages where the starring couple aren't biracial. Biracial kid actors are really cleaning up with all the work. My fave is the little biracial girl whose white Daddy has diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 60March 20, 2022 7:23 PM

Honestly, PC culture has had an unfortunate side effect in that, I now no longer trust White people to genuinely be nice to me and in the back of my mind always assume they're just doing it so they don't seem racist instead of sincerely caring about my well-being or existence. In that regard, their "faux-kindness" is still prejudiced because it's inherently self-serving and makes a point to treat us like we're so much different based on nothing but race.

I miss the days when White people lived in their own little world and didn't care about "learning" our culture. They've taken to using AAVE on social media (subsequently making it corny as hell) and everything. It's exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 61March 20, 2022 7:39 PM

And let's be real. This is what Hollywood's version of "PC" mostly looks like...

I'm good, thanks. -_-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 20, 2022 7:41 PM

Jesus Christ. Has OP finished jacking off to all these terrible colored people in films and TV? Or just waiting for sentencing for January 6th?

by Anonymousreply 63March 20, 2022 7:50 PM

I hear Viola is working on a biopic of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 64March 20, 2022 9:26 PM

I think it's okay for Anne Boleyn to be played by a black actress as long as a black historical figure can be played by a white actor or actress.

by Anonymousreply 65March 21, 2022 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!