Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gone with the Wind vs Song of the South

Which movie do you prefer?

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2022 12:55 AM

Looks like all the blacks are blacklisting this topic.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2022 12:58 AM

I'm a Canadian and I prefer Song Of The North.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2022 1:23 AM

R2 O Canada.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2022 1:24 AM

Song of the South, for sure. I saw it in a theater when I was a kid, twice. It was the first feature film to contain live action and animation. Despite the controversy, it's a good movie. I bought it on DVD in Spain some time ago not realizing that the encoding would not work on my DVD player. Fortunately, zone-free DVD players became inexpensive a few years ago and I watched it during lock down two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Come on, it's not even close. Gone with the Wind is a classic! Song of the South was derpy when I was a kid and saw it, and I'm sure it's derpy now.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2022 1:39 AM

[quote]It was the first feature film to contain live action and animation.

I think there were earlier examples.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2022 1:42 AM

I will just say this, there are no slaves depicted in Song of the South, it was set during Reconstruction after the slaves were all free. But, I have never understood why Disney never just "remade" or recut it to remove the live action sequences and replace them with animation. The animated parts aren't the issue. Just make it all about Brier Rabbit and his friends and remove Uncle Remus and the racism accusations are cut by 95%. The direct to video The Adventures of Brer Rabbit from 2006 stays fairly true to the stories and it wasn't attacked for racism. Because the stories themselves are not racist. Joel Chandler Harris was a newspaper man, what he did was to preserve the oral tales being told by African Americans, of his time, for posterity.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2022 1:49 AM

[quote]I will just say this, there are no slaves depicted in Song of the South,

Excuse me, our darkies were happy darkies.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2022 1:52 AM

Gone with the Wind is an extraordinary film in the way it was produced and directed, it is sweeping in scope. I actually would have given the Oscar in 1939 to The Wizard of Oz though because that was an even more timeless movie.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2022 1:55 AM

It's weird like we're supposed to pretend people didn't think Song of the South was "problematic" at the time. They did!

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2022 1:58 AM

R6 Disney's The Three Caballeros came out before Anchors Aweigh. BTW, it was originally Mickey Mouse who was supposed to dance with Gene Kelly. I think MGM and Disney couldn't make a deal so that's why we got Jerry dancing with Gene Kelly instead.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2022 2:23 AM

R10 If it was so problematic, why did James Baskett win an Honorary Oscar? It sounds like the only problematic person here is you for not recognizing the first ever black man winning an Oscar. Walt Disney apparently wanted to submit him in either the lead or supporting actor category (can't remember which one) but Hollywood wasn't ready to award another black person a competitive Oscar, so Walt instead lobbied to get Baskett an Honorary Oscar. For decades, SOTS was the only movie which had two Oscar winning black actors: James Baskett and Hattie McDaniel.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2022 2:26 AM

R7 The live-action bits were not racist either. They are only racist to wokes and the PC. Floyd Norman was the first black animator who ever worked at Disney and he is still alive today. He continues to say that SOTS is not a racist movie and should be released publicly. He's fought with Disney execs and leadership for years now to try and get Disney to release the movie in the US but to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2022 2:28 AM

R13 I don't really think they are really racist just that they are where the issues people have come from.

But, people did have issues with the film from the time it came out the NAACP and other civil rights groups complained at the time.

I agree with him and Whoopi Goldberg and others, Song of The South should be restored, released, and given its rightful place as a Disney classic. Also, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is my favorite Disney song.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2022 3:00 AM

Depends on your priorities. 'Song of the South' will take up considerably less of your time.

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2022 12:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!