Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Smitrovich Calls Patti LuPone "Insidiously Cunning & Artfully Deceptive" - His Life Goes On Co-Star

Big big news - NBC has green-lit a reboot for "Life Goes On" and Kellie Martin will return as a grown-up Becca as a family doctor

No word yet on which actors will return, but it looks like Bill Smitrovich will not. Kellie Martin is Executive Producer and has kept Patti LuPone in her life. From working together on Army Wives, to Patti singing at her wedding, Patti & Kellie are still very close

Patti wrote in her book how much she despised Bill Smitrovich, her on-screen husband writing that he was a bully and, worse, a bad actor. And so on. And she doesn’t just point the finger. She gives examples. Several examples, in fact, for each of the above. She also claims Kellie Martin felt the same way

How does Bill Smitrovich react to Patti's claims? - an interview in 2017

Question - I feel bad about bringing this up, but I gather you've heard that Patti LuPone's memoir just came out. She made a point of saying that the two of you didn't get along.

Smitrovich - Yes, I have heard about that. I haven't read it. And no, we didn't. It was unfortunate, really unfortunate. I tried really hard, and there was just a lot of animosity after awhile. When we first started, she was very upset that it wasn't "Patti LuPone in 'Life Goes On.'" I think she was upset to have second billing to me, I mean, who am I?

She said some really hurtful things at the beginning. But I don't want to get into a "he said, she said" kind of thing. People can decide who they believe. But Patti has a history . . .

Question - She does talk in the book about several axes . . .

Smitrovich - Right. I haven't read it, does she say horrible things?

Question - One thing she mentions is that your relationship on set deteriorated to the point where you would only talk to each other in your scenes together.

Smitrovich - That's right. Pretty good acting though, huh? We had a great chemistry, whether she understood it or realized it or not. We had it at the audition and through the first year of the show. But she became very unhappy and made everyone else unhappy. She's a very, very guileful woman—let me put it that way.

We didn't get along, and that was kind of well-known, and it's unfortunate to take the image of the show and drag it through some kind of mud for her own devices. We have a great, loyal, wonderful audience that deserves a little bit better than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432April 2, 2022 5:11 AM

I was a child when this was on and never noticed how hot he was. I have a type.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2022 7:06 PM

He comes across classy. Patti, for all her talents and sort of funny campy energy, is clearly difficult.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2022 7:11 PM

At first glance, I thought the actor with Down Syndrome was just British.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2022 8:54 PM

She was miscast. Pat Heaton, cunt that she is, would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2022 8:57 PM

Patti LuPone is a bitchy cunt on habitual power trips.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2022 8:58 PM

I can't imagine being so hateful!

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2022 9:01 PM

Patti always seems about 1/8th of an inch away from irredeemable.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2022 9:05 PM

Patti wrote Kellie and Bill didn’t speak to each other for few months because Kellie asked Bill not to direct her and he didn’t like it. Of course Kellie will bring Patti and Chad back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2022 9:10 PM

ICYMI, video at link shows a wonderful moment when LuPone is hit in the head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2022 9:12 PM

Even as a kid, I thought Libby always seemed sort of detached from Corky. You know, considering.

The oldest sister was so generic.

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2022 9:14 PM

It would be easier to list the actors Patti got along with: Kellie, Mandy Patinkin.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2022 9:24 PM

EXCUSE ME? Who do you think you ARE?

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2022 9:32 PM

He is atrocious looking. Hideous.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2022 9:34 PM

The fact that Patti and Mandy, two of the most trigger happy perfectionist/rageaholics on the planet, got along with EACH OTHER is a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2022 9:36 PM

Patti at r13: you're no oil painting either.

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2022 9:37 PM

How does this guy have any room to talk, when all the other actors like each other - but none like him.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2022 9:40 PM

Her book badmouths the cast of Anything Goes and actually lists the exceptions. A star of a show bad mouthing the chorus individually.....ugly.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2022 9:41 PM

In her book, Patti said she adored Monique Lanier (the first Paige) and was pissed when she was let go. She is also very close to Chris and Kellie.

She makes no mention of the second Paige, who was with the show for three years. I don't even remember if she even discussed Chad Lowe, but she has said that she was relieved when they focused more on Kellie and Chad's characters because it meant less time that she'd have to be there.

She hated the director, Rick Rosenthal because of his lack of a shooting schedule and Bill Smitrovich, who offended her starting at the screen test when he rubbed her shoulders during one moment, which she thought was completely inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2022 9:44 PM

Why was the first Paige let go?

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2022 9:46 PM

no one going to discuss what a raging asshole Chris Burke was? His GF from the series, can't be bothered to look up, made up for the people desiring to abort after his public persona became known. . . and certainly had more of a sense of humour about herself, condition, etc.

And seriously, all celebs are assholes but has Patti LuPone really ever not been a sanctimonius holier than thou diva of the worst degree? She's wildly two face, badmouth it one day, pretend she never said what she said the next. but bth, I wish she kept to being just an actress. She did far better at than her hammy performances on stage.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2022 9:49 PM

So benevolent of Kellie Martin to make room in her busy schedule to squeeze the reboot in.

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote] Why was the first Paige let go?

She was not let go, she asked to be released from her contract as she was pregnant (in real-life) and wanted to focus on being a full-time mother

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2022 10:01 PM

[quote] she was relieved when they focused more on Kellie and Chad's characters because it meant less time that she'd have to be there

And Bill said he was not happy when the shift went to Kelli & Chad, because he felt it took away from the original concept of the series

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2022 10:02 PM

On Patti's memoir:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2022 10:03 PM

R9 wow Patti looks great as a blonde. And with the red on her she looks terrific. And she is so good on her feet.

I would never want to cross this woman. She has been known to go full Julia Sugarbaker and verbally reduce one to ashes.

What I don’t understand is her claim, in that interview, that she could not sing the notes to Evita. Was she just being modest? It’s not unusual for a Broadway actor to occasionally miss the hardest notes, or to not even attempt them in certain cases. And you can say she wasn’t perfect every show but she did hit the notes. She did get the job done.

So maybe she was modest or maybe they altered them slightly for her.

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2022 10:03 PM

Who made Kellie an executive producer? How does one become executive producer of a show that they didn’t originally create? I’m just curious how that works.

by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2022 10:09 PM

I briefly took a class at UCLA taught by one of the writers on Life Goes On. She said Patti did indeed think the show was The Patti Lupone Show and often seemed surprised and annoyed that other characters had story lines that took preference over hers. She used to do a wicked imitation of her. My friend and I dropped her class after three weeks because she seemed to be more interested in telling stories than teaching, and the class was horrifically overcrowded and we knew we would get nothing done.

by Anonymousreply 27March 17, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote] Who made Kellie an executive producer? How does one become executive producer of a show that they didn’t originally create? I’m just curious how that works.

because this is a reboot to be focused on Kellie character, that gives her leverage to be more than just an actor. She negotiated to be more creatively involved in the show, than just being a hired actor

by Anonymousreply 28March 17, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote]Who made Kellie an executive producer? How does one become executive producer of a show that they didn’t originally create? I’m just curious how that works.

Mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2022 10:23 PM

Monique Lanier (the first Paige) says about Patti

Patti was fantastic and very New York. She wasn't rude, by any means, but I wouldn't mess with her. I feel lucky that she liked me.

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2022 10:30 PM

Why would Patti think the show would have revolved around her? Even before it aired, it was Chris Burke who got the lions share of the press and attention for it.

And yeah, once Chad Lowe came on the whole tone of the show changed and shifted from the family to Kellie Martin and him. But give credit where credit is due, they were the first TV show to go really in depth about AIDS. I haven't watched those shows since they aired, but I remember it got really bleak and depressing towards the end.

Poor Tommy Puett. He was a huge teen idol due to this show, but after the showrunners created Lowe's character, they killed him off because they didn't feel they had any other use for him.

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2022 10:32 PM

r31

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2022 10:35 PM

[quote] . I haven't watched those shows since they aired, but I remember it got really bleak and depressing towards the end.

Chad Lowe won an Emmy for those episodes

by Anonymousreply 33March 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Patti talks about her frustrations playing Libby Thatcher

I found the writing lacking. I had a meeting with the [producers and writers]: "Give me three adjectives that describe Libby Thacher." But nobody said the same thing. I said: "There's your problem!" Libby didn't even react a lot of the time. She was silent. It was pedantic. It was mundane.

In a way, I wish I'd been stronger and said, "You want me to sing? That'll be extra money." But they didn't pay me to sing. And the producers didn't listen to me when it came to the songs I wanted to sing. That rankled me a little because they were asking me to do something I wasn't hired for.

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2022 10:38 PM

"Diva" is a label Patti LuPone has often received, to which she replied, "Let me say I was trained at Juilliard. I have a very high standard. I expect everybody around me to work equally as hard."

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2022 10:39 PM

R26 the daughter from Rosanne did it too.

by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2022 10:41 PM

ALL I KNOW IS, bring back Tommy and his spray painted on acid wash jeans! what a cutie he was and excellent legs and ass in those jeans! me likey!..

by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2022 10:42 PM

r35 Diva is just a nice way of saying cunt. a cunt like Elton.

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2022 10:44 PM

What kind of egomaniac thinks an ensemble series should revolve around her?

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2022 10:46 PM

Interview Patti gave in the 2nd season of Life Goes On where she complains about her character

”I’m very unhappy with the way the season has unfolded and how unimportant the mother is in the family,” she says. ”I’m not satisfied — there’s no other way to put it. There are a lot of issues for women over 40 that they could have explored and they chose not to.” LuPone says she has made her discontent known, but ”men run the show, and they’re not interested in exploring these issues. [Libby] is going the way of all Hollywood mothers — she’s just a fixture, a device.”

Such a public venting of frustration is often the first salvo in a contract war, but LuPone, who has been with the show since it began in 1989, says she’s more resigned than angry. ”I would love for them to investigate and write with passion about a modern woman,” she says. In response, the show’s executive producer, Michael Braverman, says, ”All the discussions we’ve had have been pleasant.”

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2022 10:48 PM

How did she and Ray Butenicka get along?

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2022 10:48 PM

For the whores in the crowd…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2022 10:48 PM

Patti's ego needs no fluffing....

.....but seriously, the writers and producers WERE dumb. Why hire someone like Patti and not use them? Any number of soap opera actresses would have given them what they apparently wanted.

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2022 10:51 PM

r43 Yes, because giving over even an ounce of control to megalomaniacs has always been good for a television series.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2022 10:58 PM

Her ego get a serious check when Sondheim told her to her face she wasn't a star in an interview with Graham Norton

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2022 11:07 PM

Patti is no Sada Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2022 11:16 PM

I knew my nephew was gay when he used the name Lupone as a verb.

by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2022 11:20 PM

I always preferred Paige 2.0 over the original.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2022 11:25 PM

Patti has feuded with everyone except Mandy Patinkin and Christine Eberosle.

Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2022 11:27 PM

Her nickname on the Life Goes On set was "the Diva."

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2022 11:30 PM

It always seemed weird that the would take the role of the mom in a family drama. I haven't read her autobiography, but I'm guessing no better offers were coming? Because she really seems like someone who would want to be the star of a show.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2022 11:31 PM

***that SHE would take the role...

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2022 11:32 PM

Which show came first, Life Goes On or Our House? Same era, same time slots (I think), both were family dramas, both with gay actors named Chad, both ran for a few years, both rarely (if ever) aired in repeats, never shown on ME-TV/Antenna TV/Hallmark/COZI-TV, never released on DVD (complete series), etc.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2022 11:37 PM

Our House came first, 1986, with Dee Dee Halls.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2022 11:38 PM

Patti Lupone is a good actress and great singer but R7 said it best. She always seems to have a chip on her shoulder about SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2022 11:44 PM

Chad Lowe is a heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2022 11:44 PM

I bet Patti would wear anything she was handed.

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2022 12:09 AM

[quote] It would be easier to list the actors Patti got along with: Kellie, Mandy Patinkin.

And Audra McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote] What kind of egomaniac thinks an ensemble series should revolve around her?

Yes, who does that?

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] Chad Lowe is a heterosexual.

And I'm the horse faced dame who can prove it.

Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2022 12:37 AM

The Downs Syndrome guy was a jerk?

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2022 12:57 AM

It was heavily rumored that Chris Burke "did things" with underaged child actress Ashley Johnson (Chrissy-Growing Pains) for whom he had a rather unhealthy fixation on.

It is also to be understood that LuPone encouraged the arrangement as retribution against Johnson's parents who dared rattle a cough drop wrapper during a matinee performance of The Cradle Will Rock.

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2022 1:04 AM

Why would a Broadway star accept a role on TV show with an ensemble cast and try to always stay center stage? Who does she think she is, Linda Lavin? Bonnie Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2022 1:06 AM

Team Bill. Patti is an overrated ham who likes to make people fear her or worship her. Bill obviously did neither so she trashed him.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2022 1:31 AM

She seems to have a fond affection for the 'tard in this reunion clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Hey, I even sang the theme song with the 'tard in that clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2022 1:44 AM

How did I get through 30+ years not knowing this show existed? Never knew Patti Lupone did a TV show. Or that there was a TV show with an autistic star. I guess I was in college and then moved to the city at the time. Didn’t own a TV for about 15 years. Still weird I had no idea this existed.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2022 1:56 AM

I wish E! True Hollywood had done "Life Goes On".

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2022 1:57 AM

Hmmm. Chad Lowe or Chad Allen??? Well???!

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2022 2:00 AM

Patti LuPone was the voice for all mother's of Autistic kids

Unfortunately she never took the role seriously of what a role model she was for all those moms across America with an autistic child.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2022 2:00 AM

Patti was great as the crazy Greek woman on Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2022 2:03 AM

And the crazy Italian mother of Frank on 30 Rock

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2022 2:08 AM

Why did Patti Lupone accept the role as the mother on a family drama "Life Goes On" when it wasn't a star vehicle?

The money

“At first I went, ‘Wheee! Money!'” Patti LuPone says of landing a part in the series. “But the hour-long television show has got to be the worst job in show business. You have no life.” Except for Evita‘s brief run here, it was the only time LuPone lived in Los Angeles. “I love California, it’s so beautiful. I don’t know why I didn’t end up here. Wait, I know why—look at me,” she says. She is wearing no makeup and is dressed in jeans and a pale blue Indian smock; fighting a cold, she is wrapped in a bulky jacket made of colorful strips of fabric. “I am grit. I am from the streets of New York. I am not from sun-kissed California. Everyone is so blond and so tall and so skinny. I just walk around thinking, ‘Fucking hell, I’m going on a diet now. Yesterday.'”

by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2022 2:11 AM

I think Debra Winger, Faye Dunaway, Patti LuPone and Rosie O’Donnell should do a series and a reality crew should film the behind the scenes

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2022 2:12 AM

[quote] I am from the streets of New York.

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

She grew up on Long Island, spent a few years in New York City and then by the time Sunset Boulevard landed in the US, she had hightailed it to Connecticut and built her Andrew Lloyd Webber swimming pool.

Unless the streets of New York meant she worked as a prostitute during her Juilliard days.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote]Unless the streets of New York meant she worked as a prostitute during her Juilliard days.

Well, I'm still called an admiral, yet I gave up the sea, long ago.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2022 2:22 AM

Wait, I thought the kid was Down's, not autistic?

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2022 2:24 AM

R77 it is Down's Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2022 2:25 AM

They had to write a baby into the show because LuPone got herself knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2022 2:28 AM

More like "Insidiously CUNTing"

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2022 2:29 AM

[quote]Patti has feuded with everyone except Mandy Patinkin and Christine Eberosle.

Oh, honey. The first few weeks at The Goodman in Chicago were TENSE. Those two fought like siblings, slammed doors, scripts thrown. But once the media got wind, things got clamped down and they settled down. Plus Patti got overwhelmed and had to focus on doing a strong Russian Jewish accent AND enunciate in her singing. No one could understand her and that amused Ebersole that Patti was getting all that negative attention for it. The third problem was the blond guy who played Christine's husband, now the chef on The Gilded Age. He grew pissed at Ebersole because she treated him like a stagehand and not a top billed co-star. That production was a shit-show in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2022 2:29 AM

Fun fact - it was between Max Gail and Bill Smitrovich for the part of Drew Thatcher

TPTB went with the unknown actor than the former supporting actor of "Barney Miller"

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2022 2:36 AM

Faye presented Patti with her first Tony Award. Faye's pretentious faux humble intro is hilarious. She sounds like Eve Harrington and looks like Margo Channing. The ThEahter.

Patti was really pretty for a few years. I ❤ her. Her talent is immense. Don't let the faux humble ones fool you. When you're as gifted as LuPone or Audra MacDonald or Bernadette - you fucking well know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2022 2:42 AM

Chad Allen had actually auditioned for the part of Tyler Benchfield - but lost the part to Tommy Puett

Actress Susan Anspaugh had auditioned for Patti LuPone part

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Leave it to Miss Dunaway to pull focus from Patti in Patti’s thread. ….La La Land…. Brava.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2022 3:09 AM

R49 somehow, she seems not to have feuded with Deborah Winger.

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2022 3:25 AM

The man who was to play her husband on a series rubbed her shoulders during a scene for a screen test and she thought it was "inappropriate"?????

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2022 3:26 AM

R67 you're not missing much. Patti was right. The writing on the show was piss poor. When I think of how many Broadway shows she didn't do because she was on that awful show, i could just spit.

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2022 3:39 AM

Debra Winger and David Mamet were too busy feuding with each other. Patti uncharacteristically kept quiet during that shambles.

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2022 3:41 AM

I have friends who met Chris Burke years ago and said he’s not a very nice person.

I grew up watching this show. I am happy for Kellie Martin. It makes sense her character became a doctor and it’s funny that she already played one on ER. I will give it a chance. I hope it’s good.

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2022 3:43 AM

[quote] Chad Lowe won an Emmy for those episodes

When I was with Chad, I made sure my Oscars were displayed in front of his Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2022 3:51 AM

Kellie Martin is an amazing actress and deserves so much better than a reboot of a show she already did. I figured they killed her off on ER because she was gonna be a movie star. She didn’t even leave to become a Broadway star!

Talk about wasted potential.

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2022 3:51 AM

Kellie's character Becca will probably be a doctor focus on HIV treatments and HIV patients. I bet there will be some storyline about how covid derailed HIV research.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote] TPTB went with the unknown actor than the former supporting actor of "Barney Miller"

I can't blame them. The audience would have wanted Max Gail inside them quite deeply. It doesn't always work when you're a hot dad.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2022 3:55 AM

R81 I figured it was way too good to be true for Ebersole and LuPone to be all buddy buddy.

I come down Team Patti in that one. Love Ebersole's performances but she's a deplorable looney tooney babooney.

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2022 3:56 AM

I used to watch, but honestly had no idea Patti LuPone was the mom on the show. Then again, the only things I really remember are the theme song and that Chad Lowe played a teenager with AIDs.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2022 4:01 AM

[quote]Love Ebersole's performances but she's a deplorable looney tooney babooney.

It was Ebersole's political (and 911 conspiracy) ramblings that started things going south at The Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2022 4:08 AM

This show is before my time. I love Patti in all the things I've seen her in. Was Chad Lowe any relationship to Rob Lowe?

Wouldn't Kelly Martin be in her fifties by now? Who wants to see that? Why would she be researching AIDS? It's one needle every two months to treat or avoid it.

Patti's glorious days are almost over. The wide vibrato has come to stay and her intonation finally suffers. Her voice still has great power. She sounds like Liza at 40.

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2022 4:08 AM

R98 Chad is Rob's younger brother.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2022 4:10 AM

I know acting is, in fact, acting.

But I can't believe the woman who would so fantastically play Edie Beale could also be a 8/11 truther and QAnon qunt.

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2022 4:11 AM

R98 This is why I NEED to get to NYC to see her in Company.

This will likely be her final musical.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2022 4:11 AM

I always thought the dad was hot, especially with the cleft chin.

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2022 4:14 AM

It's well known in the industry how truly nasty Patti really is. But she's a "legend", so she gets away with it...

[quote] It would be easier to list the actors Patti got along with: Kellie, Mandy Patinkin.

R11 It's well rumored that Patti and Mandy are notoriously vicious when they get together. Just downright bitter and nasty about everyone, and everything...

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2022 4:27 AM

R29 = Kellie in desperate need of a gig

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2022 4:36 AM

R103's post manages to be a lie and not even persuasive conjecture.

Patti is Sicilian. She's not nasty. She's loud and loving. When you're the smartest one in the room - you speak for yourself. The dumber bitches have their agents do it.

by Anonymousreply 105March 18, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote]But give credit where credit is due, they were the first TV show to go really in depth about AIDS.

Excuse us?!

by Anonymousreply 106March 18, 2022 4:39 AM

I agree with everyone else who said the show went downhill when Chad Lowe came onto the show. It became the Kellie and Chad show and got depressing.

by Anonymousreply 107March 18, 2022 4:41 AM

Fun fact: My older sister was elementary school besties with Kellie. I was too young to remember her being around. But apparently she was always at our house.

by Anonymousreply 108March 18, 2022 4:45 AM

Now she seems to dislike Hal Prince.

On The View today she said he was of no help. (also admitted to not being able to sing the score which surprised me. She did it pretty good on the OBC album.)

by Anonymousreply 109March 18, 2022 4:49 AM

Patti was and is amazing. A lot tougher and meaner now. Who isn't? She was always intelligent with an artist's sense of self. A fun woman. Only a part-time DIVA. She always had a life outside her stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2022 4:49 AM

There was weird stuff during the Evita rehearsals about replacing Patti with Elaine Paige. Hal Prince assured her it wasn't true, but she later had reason to believe he was in on a plot to leak that information to the press. No love lost between her and Hal Prince.

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2022 4:55 AM

I read it as "insidiously cunting".

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2022 4:56 AM

I know people make fun of Patti's rant about "Stop taking pictures!" but I'll always have respect for her for doing that. Some of these audiences deserve to be admonished for their trashy behaviour at Broadway shows -- well, any theatre show, in fact. It's so disrespectful to the cast and crew when your fat ass is sitting in a chair taking pictures or playing Pokemon on your phone while they're trying they are on stage trying to give their all to entertain the audience.

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2022 4:59 AM

[quote] [R67] you're not missing much. Patti was right. The writing on the show was piss poor. When I think of how many Broadway shows she didn't do because she was on that awful show, i could just spit.

The show ran four years, 89-93. What shows could Patti have missed out on during that time? Nick & Nora? Jelly's Last Jam?

by Anonymousreply 114March 18, 2022 5:19 AM

Bill Smitrovich or Wilford Brimley? Patti or Deidre? Chad Lowe or Chad Allen? Kelli Martin or Shannen Doherty???? Well??????

by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2022 5:24 AM

R114 Margaret White

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2022 7:42 AM

Patti was in Anything Goes when Carrie opened.

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2022 7:50 AM

Is that hot blond fucker Tommy Puett going to return? I jerked off to him lots as a gayling. I bet he's a hot daddy now.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2022 8:03 AM

^ Just for you, R118. Tommy is now a handsome daddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2022 8:44 AM

If the original Corky is unavailable, Chris Cuomo bears a striking resemblance and he's available.

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2022 8:53 AM

What’s the inside scoop of Debra Winger and David Mamet feuding during the Anarchist?

I’m surprised Patti wasn’t involved because she loves to pick sides in feuds

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2022 9:58 AM

[quote] [R103]'s post manages to be a lie and not even persuasive conjecture.

Not at all. It's well known industry talk.

[quote] Patti is Sicilian. She's not nasty. She's loud and loving. When you're the smartest one in the room - you speak for yourself. The dumber bitches have their agents do it.

I hope this is irony...

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2022 10:38 AM

[quote]She hated the director, Rick Rosenthal because of his lack of a shooting schedule and Bill Smitrovich, who offended her starting at the screen test when he rubbed her shoulders during one moment, which she thought was completely inappropriate.

I'd hate a director if he refused to even have a shooting schedule, and I'd be a little put out by someone rubbing my shoulders for no reason, too.

This doesn't really paint a picture of her being unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2022 11:14 AM

I want an actor with a HONK HONK and a HONK HONK.

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2022 11:39 AM

[quote] Bill Smitrovich Calls Patti LuPone "Insidiously Cunning & Artfully Deceptive".

No, no, no.

The woman is cunningly insidious and deceptively artful.

by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2022 11:53 AM

Ah vewy happeh to get check!

Ah dance foh joye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2022 12:03 PM

I was only like 5 when the show started but I remember watching every week, even though other kids said they wouldn't watch the "retard" show. Anyway, at the time I didn't know who Patti LuPone was but I liked her character and I did think they should have featured her more.

Pattie LuPone would have expected to be the star of the show, as in starring Patti LuPone, she was the only known cast member. I think that is one of the reasons the producers of The Waltons, another family drama, recast all but one of the main adult cast members. If just Patricia Neal or Edgar Bergen had come back they would've had to have received star billing because their names were so well known and would've been used to sale the series initially. I wonder if the producers led her to believe she would have a larger focus than she ended up with, just to get her to sign.

And, Bill Smitrovich was too ugly for her and I never cared for his character.

by Anonymousreply 127March 18, 2022 12:17 PM

Teenagers watched the show. They were not interested in seeing Patti struggle with old lady issues.

by Anonymousreply 128March 18, 2022 12:23 PM

I found the show bland family melodrama and the opening theme with Patti out singing everyone was annoying. It probably had the bandwidth for a season or two, but like all American TV series, it went on longer than it should have.

by Anonymousreply 129March 18, 2022 12:49 PM

Patti wanted her character to get chronic fatigue syndrome and show that bitch Bea Authur how's it done.

by Anonymousreply 130March 18, 2022 1:46 PM

R118... i hear you! right there with you! cute young guy with the great smile, who showed it off in very snug jeans, great shapely ass on him back in the day on that show too!...total catnip he was!..

by Anonymousreply 131March 18, 2022 1:48 PM

[quote] I'd be a little put out by someone rubbing my shoulders for no reason, too.

The scene in question was Patti character turning 40, as she was looking in the mirror lamenting that she is that old. And Smitrovich assuring her that she is still a vital woman,

The screen test and the scene in question has been uploaded to YouTube - at NO TIME does Smitrovich rub her shoulders

It was acting, being in the moment. If if he did rub her shoulders, you can't say a husband wouldn't rub his wife shoulders in a situation like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 18, 2022 1:57 PM

damn, now i have visions of Max Gail as the father on that show in his spray painted on polyester light colored pants showing off that awesome big ass of his in scenes and scenes of him doing yardwork outside shirtless and wearing teeny tiny nylon running shorts or daisy duke jeans shorts in episode after episode! lol!...

by Anonymousreply 133March 18, 2022 2:00 PM

Tommy’s character was killed off in a car accident so he won’t be back unless it’s a dream sequence or flashback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 18, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] damn, now i have visions of Max Gail as the father on that show in his spray painted on polyester light colored pants showing off that awesome big ass of his in scenes and scenes of him doing yardwork outside shirtless and wearing teeny tiny nylon running shorts or daisy duke jeans shorts in episode after episode! lol!...

*faints*

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote]But I can't believe the woman who would so fantastically play Edie Beale could also be a 8/11 truther and QAnon qunt.

I'm not sure about her current state and if she follows Q-Anon, but back in the day she was besties with Rosie O. and she was all about 9/11 trutherism. Rosie was actually some of the on ey that underwrote Grey Gardens Off-Broadway and helped it move to Broadway where a billionaire arms dealer's arriviste wife was the top funder and ruined the whole thing with her ridiculousness. Q-Anon is a different mindset than Christine's uber-Liberalism that almost circles back to Libertarianism.

Patti was more pragmataic and expressed her belief that Ebersoles' daily lectures were bordering on abuse and unwelcomed evangelism.

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2022 2:13 PM

Patti needs to put this show in perspective. Before the show, nobody but Broadway fans knew who she was. Maybe she thinks her role in Driving Miss Daisy would shoot her to movie stardom, but that didn’t open until Life Goes On was already in Season 1. She took the same gamble every actor takes. Life Goes On brought her more attention than anything else she was doing at the start of the show.

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2022 2:15 PM

Final Opening Credits for "Life Goes On" where Chad Lowe gets the

"And Chad Lowe" billing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2022 2:15 PM

R132 The audition took five hours. Just because it’s not there doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] "And Chad Lowe" billing

He won an Emmy for that show.

Was Miss Broadway even nominated for her tired assed performance?

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2022 2:19 PM

[quote] Just because it’s not there doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Even if it did happen - it is called ACTING.

The wife is lamenting about turning 40 and the husband is reassuring her that she is still a vital woman - what husband wouldn't rub his wife's shoulders in a real-life situation like that.

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2022 2:19 PM

Tyler cut the hideous mullet at some point right? This was one of the earliest shows I watched so I can barely remember anything but Tyler making me feel funny.

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2022 2:25 PM

R141 It happened during the session but I think it happened when they weren’t acting. Patti writes about it in her memories but I cannot remember more about it.

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote] but I think it happened when they weren’t acting.

If you can't recall, you better be sure before throwing something out like that

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2022 2:27 PM

r109

I think she said she didn't learn how to properly sing the score until she did it in Australia. IIRC she only was able to do it with the coke

by Anonymousreply 145March 18, 2022 2:30 PM

R113

I guess you didn't hear but that was a LEGIT PHOTOGRAPHER taking pics for her outlet WITH PERMISSION.

I felt exactly as you did until a few years ago when I learned from an article that stupid Patti KNEW a photographer would be there, but then forgot (?) and started screaming at her from the stage, as if she was a random rude audience member.

There's an article online written by the poor photog. Apparently they apologized after to her....but if it was me, I would have shouted back at Patti "Who Do I Think I Am?? The Photographer Who Got PERMISSION TO BE HERE - REMEMBER????"

Imagine having Patti turn an entire audience against you and get you kicked out? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 146March 18, 2022 2:46 PM

If only I could talk!

I've known plenty of bitches in my time, but let me tell you about Patti LuPone......

by Anonymousreply 147March 18, 2022 3:01 PM

The expectation that Patti LuPone should have received top billing for this TV show is ridiculous.

She was a well-known New York, Broadway actress famous for her roles in "Evita" and "Anything Goes."

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it in television or film.

She had a bit part in 1985's "Witness" and no leading part in any other film in the Eighties.

Ask anyone who is not familiar with theatre work (and that's the majority of Americans) who she is today, and they will scratch their heads. Even more so, if you asked them who she was in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 148March 18, 2022 3:01 PM

R148 agreed.

She may have earned it for a show NOW, but at the time she was still building her resume. And yes, as iconic as her turn in EVITA was, it didn't translate to network TV.

by Anonymousreply 149March 18, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote] no leading part in any other film in the Eighties.

Oscar Winner for Best Picture - "Driving Miss Daisy"

by Anonymousreply 150March 18, 2022 3:04 PM

I disagree with that. Lupone was, far and away, the biggest name in that cast at the time (and still), and was a Tony winner and a huge Broadway star. Yes, if she was starring alongside legit TV stars, she wouldn't necessarily have the expectation of first billing, but she should have been billed first as she was the only actor in the cast with an actual fan base.

by Anonymousreply 151March 18, 2022 3:13 PM

R135=pussy

by Anonymousreply 152March 18, 2022 3:15 PM

Yes r151, but when that fan base tuned in what we saw was not the Patti LuPone we wanted to see: brassy, bitchy, singing to the rafters, etc,etc…

The show quickly turned into a weekly after school special and the fan base tuned out.

by Anonymousreply 153March 18, 2022 3:17 PM

God, I hated the closing credits theme of this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 18, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote] no leading part in any other film in the Eighties.

[quote]Oscar Winner for Best Picture - "Driving Miss Daisy"

Which didn’t open until January 1990.

by Anonymousreply 155March 18, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote] Yes [R151], but when that fan base tuned in what we saw was not the Patti LuPone we wanted to see: brassy, bitchy, singing to the rafters, etc,etc… The show quickly turned into a weekly after school special and the fan base tuned out.

What does that have to do with whether she should have gotten first billing?

by Anonymousreply 156March 18, 2022 3:38 PM

Is she really so great? I've never seen her perform except in clips and sounds brassy and loud. Also, she sorta seems like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 157March 18, 2022 3:40 PM

There was no way Patti was getting top billing on Life Goes On. Bill Smitrovich had just finished two seasons on the tv show Crime Story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 18, 2022 4:04 PM

And Bill was bare chested every week on the intro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 18, 2022 4:05 PM

Bare chested.....hubba, hubba!

by Anonymousreply 160March 18, 2022 4:21 PM

As a young gayling I knew she was a Broadway star - and even I wondered what she was doing on a TV show. This is why employers don’t hire very overqualified candidates. They can do the job, but the frustration of doing something for a living that is far below their capabilities is frustrating to them—and ultimately their frustration makes everyone miserable.

by Anonymousreply 161March 18, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote] and even I wondered what she was doing on a TV show

It was a paycheck, R161.

Just ask Laurence Olivier. Remember "A Little Romance?"

And as for "Driving Miss Daisy," she had a bit part.

Patti Lupone was trying to expand her career beyond theatre. She would never have more than supporting roles in movies to television. She can act, but she's odd looking. Her asset is her ability to belt out a tune. Theatre, concerts, and cabarets are her milieu.

by Anonymousreply 162March 18, 2022 4:38 PM

r155, Driving Miss Daisy opened December 15, 1989 in limited release, which is how it was eligible for Best Picture of 1989.

The relevant rebuttal would be that Patti's role as Daisy's daughter-in-law was definitely not a leading one.

by Anonymousreply 163March 18, 2022 4:42 PM

This calls for a new season of Feud.

by Anonymousreply 164March 18, 2022 4:47 PM

Here’s where I question his take on things:

“ Smitrovich - That's right. Pretty good acting though, huh? We had a great chemistry, whether she understood it or realized it or not. ”

This is the classic shit an abusive bully says.

I found his language to be deceptive and a classic study in projection.

Abusers are EXCELLENT at scapegoating and projection. They can skirt issues better than an experienced seamstress or tailor.

I’m telling you. The man had problems. You have to have either worked with an asshole of this variety or have lived with one to understand their language and tactics, but once you have had the misfortune to have done so, you immediately recognize it when you read their BS or hear it.

I’m siding with the gals on this one.

Been there, done that.

by Anonymousreply 165March 18, 2022 4:55 PM

I don't know if he was abusive, but the entire tone of Smitrovich's reply was really off-putting to me, especially the cloying part about OUR FAAAAANS.

by Anonymousreply 166March 18, 2022 4:59 PM

[quote] Driving Miss Daisy opened December 15, 1989 in limited release,

And three drag queens in NYC saw it on Christmas Day because they had nowhere else to go and they were given free tickets.

by Anonymousreply 167March 18, 2022 5:01 PM

Given her track record, I seriously doubt this wasn’t her.

R165 : Frau or Frau-adjacent gay

by Anonymousreply 168March 18, 2022 5:01 PM

I agree with you on that one as well, R166.

Good call.

by Anonymousreply 169March 18, 2022 5:01 PM

R168?

Sigh 😔…

by Anonymousreply 170March 18, 2022 5:04 PM

Patti Lupone, a legend in her own mind.

by Anonymousreply 171March 18, 2022 5:05 PM

I love Patty. I understand the hate though given she did just about the most unforgivable thing you can do in America by being a woman and having the nerve to open her mouth. She deserves all the accolades and more.

by Anonymousreply 172March 18, 2022 5:07 PM

FRAU ALERT AT R172!!!!!!!!

Please. We’re probably the only message board on the internet with hundreds of replies discussing the minitaue of the professional and personal life of a strange looking seventy year old woman whose career height was almost forty years ago. You can stop acting like we’re the problem.

by Anonymousreply 173March 18, 2022 5:32 PM

R173, ROTFLMAO!!!

Love your response. You're one of the reasons I love The Data Lounge

by Anonymousreply 174March 18, 2022 5:37 PM

People keep slamming Faye's Tony introduction that year, but the theme of the show was all about the presenters talking about their beginnings in the theater. Everyone who presented gave that kind of introduction.

And Patti clearly didn't give a fuck because she was laughing it up with Faye at the end of the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 18, 2022 5:39 PM

We're one of AT LEAST TWO forums that would have a thread on this! If the IMDb boards were still around, it would have been THREE forums!

by Anonymousreply 176March 18, 2022 5:41 PM

While Patti LuPone has remained quite friendly with Chris Burke, Chad Lowe, Monique Lanier and Kellie Martin (she sang at her wedding + played her mother in two additional projects) after after the show wrapped

While Bill Smitrovich is on his own island

Bill was the one with the problem, not Patti.

There was sexism involved in the billing - the fairest thing to do was to give both Bill & Patti equal billing on the screen like they have done with other shows.

by Anonymousreply 177March 18, 2022 5:56 PM

[quote] Bill Smitrovich

His Wikipedia says he's Polish. That means sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 178March 18, 2022 5:58 PM

ITALIAN means sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 179March 18, 2022 6:05 PM

Getting back to the billing - what this shows is that Patti LuPone didn't have a separate agent to handle television work. Her agent was probably more experienced in theater, than TV. Before she even did the screen test, somebody at her agency (who had TV experience) should've negotiated the billing - to insist it be at least equal on the screen. Instead nothing about billing was negotiated in the contract, and thus she was railroaded to getting second billing.

by Anonymousreply 180March 18, 2022 6:07 PM

Why is Patti feared? She's not the most talented actress or singer. This is a legit question.

I'm not exactly an expert on Broadway and I've never watched this TV show.

I did see Patti in EVITA, but I'm not a huge Broadway fan. Yup, take away my gay card.

by Anonymousreply 181March 18, 2022 6:11 PM

Suzanne Somers took second billing to Patrick Duffy in Step by Srep. I thought they would have had staggered building like Shelley Long and Ted Danson did on Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 182March 18, 2022 6:35 PM

The business about her screaming at a photographer at a GYPSY performance: I understand any actor getting angry at pictures being taken when it is stated that photography is not allowed. What got me is the fact that she stopped the show during "Rose's Turn"....the absolute worst time to stop a performance of GYPSY barring an important emergency such as fire or serious illness of a performer or audience member. If I had been there that day, I would have been furious with PATTI for interrupting the show at that most important time and then having the audience have to get back into the show so late in the game. People who had never seen GYPSY must have been thrown for a loop. If it had happened during "Some People" or "Mr. Goldstone", okay. Still annoying but still time enough left to get into the story. Unless there were flashes going off during the picture-taking, Patti should have just Kept Her Mouth Shut.

by Anonymousreply 183March 18, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote]And Patti clearly didn't give a fuck because she was laughing it up with Faye at the end of the show.

Miss Patti wasn't laughing a year later when Faye did a tv drama (in two parts over two nights) about Evita Peron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 18, 2022 7:00 PM

[quote]There was sexism involved in the billing - the fairest thing to do was to give both Bill & Patti equal billing on the screen like they have done with other shows.

Nobody knew who Petty LuPone was. Why should she get equal billing with him when he clearly had tv experience?

by Anonymousreply 185March 18, 2022 7:03 PM

Bill Smitrovich could do Bill O'Reilly in a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 186March 18, 2022 7:10 PM

I knew who Patti Lupone was when Life Goes On aired. I had never heard of this schmendrich Smitrovich, and until this thread, I had not thought of him since. That some of you claim he's fuckable, well, that says more about your lack of taste than it says about him.

by Anonymousreply 187March 18, 2022 7:20 PM

Why if you're in a successful show would you be constantly angry at your co-stars? You're making great money and getting National exposure just f****** get over it already! What is there to be angry about?

by Anonymousreply 188March 18, 2022 7:31 PM

A few weeks ago someone on another thread said "If you want to make actiors unhappy, hire them..."

by Anonymousreply 189March 18, 2022 7:33 PM

R188 Hell, she can top that. She was constantly pissy with the chorus of Anything Goes. Even whined about them in her book. Just think how small a person you need to be to be like that at the time, much less decades later. Also, the hypocrisy of her calling anyone else unprofessional when just a few years earlier she was hiding away in the Barbican to avoid doing ensemble scenes in Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 190March 18, 2022 7:37 PM

"I sure as hell didn't come to London to be in the chorus of a four-hour musical." - from "Patti LuPone: A Memoir".

by Anonymousreply 191March 18, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote] "If you want to make actiors unhappy, hire them..."

also known as

If you want to make an actor miserable, give them a job

by Anonymousreply 192March 18, 2022 8:59 PM

R173 WRONG! She's currently in a hit musical on Broadway, and you could argue she's the reason it's a hit.

She won a Tony for best actress in 2009. She's certainly the greatest living Broadway star.

If you dont like her, fine. But she's far from irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 193March 18, 2022 9:11 PM

R193 Sondheim himself said she isn't a star

by Anonymousreply 194March 18, 2022 9:22 PM

Hal Prince, by the way, was a bullying asshole to her during Evita. He was a miserable cunt. It was harrowing for a young actress tackling a star making role to endure. (Can’t say how I know this but you can take it to the bank.)

Life Goes On was sold as a family ensemble. She wasn’t expecting to be the sole star but when the show decided to shift focus to Kellie and Chad, it wasn’t what she signed up for… and it was a period in her career where she was in demand so she was missing out on other more fulfilling projects (Broadway, movies, TV) for what became a pretty nothing role that didn’t challenge her or support the narrative she had when she joined the show: as top talent on the rise. The fact that she and Kellie remain tight speaks to her ability to rise beyond any jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 195March 18, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote](Can’t say how I know this but you can take it to the bank.)

LOL suuuure

by Anonymousreply 196March 18, 2022 9:25 PM

[quote] Life Goes On was sold as a family ensemble. She wasn’t expecting to be the sole star but when the show decided to shift focus to Kellie and Chad, it wasn’t what she signed up for

That didn't happen until the third season - and Patti was unhappy from the start, the minute they began filming season 1

by Anonymousreply 197March 18, 2022 9:26 PM

Related: I just heard Bridget Everett being interviewed about her breakout show and her career struggles that led to it. She gave Patti huge credit for supporting her and giving her opportunities, saying how incredibly generous she’d been.

by Anonymousreply 198March 18, 2022 9:27 PM

r198

when did Bridget and Patti work together?

by Anonymousreply 199March 18, 2022 9:40 PM

R199 Patti cast the actors with Downes for Bridgets' failed, but hilarious pilot comedy show, Love You More.

by Anonymousreply 200March 18, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote] She's certainly the greatest living Broadway star.

EXCUSE ME???

Six Tonys, bitch. Count them. SIX.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 18, 2022 9:54 PM

Patti invited Bridget to perform. Number t her Carnegie Hill show. Bridget said Patti gave her a two-minute intro that was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 202March 18, 2022 10:47 PM

Who cares about billing? I’d be so grateful to be working and making tv money I honestly wouldn’t give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 203March 18, 2022 11:26 PM

So where and when is this LGO revival airing?

by Anonymousreply 204March 18, 2022 11:50 PM

[quote]Miss Patti wasn't laughing a year later when Faye did a tv drama (in two parts over two nights) about Evita Peron.

Dunaway was GOWNED BY TRAVILLA.

by Anonymousreply 205March 19, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote] Faye did a tv drama (in two parts over two nights) about Evita Peron.

In the TV commercial for this film they had in small print

not to be confused with the Broadway Musical

by Anonymousreply 206March 19, 2022 12:10 AM

R45 and R194, whaaa'? Do you have a clip of him saying this? Right to her face? Was he teasing?

by Anonymousreply 207March 19, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] Robert Mitchum was originally cast as Juan Peron but walked out after having considerable difficulty with Faye Dunaway ordering him around on the set.

Tidbit about Faye from IMDb.

by Anonymousreply 208March 19, 2022 12:54 AM

OK, FWIW I worked with Bill Smitrovich in the late 1990s and just loved him, found him to be a total mensch. I'd even say I had a little crush on him. Hot daddy indeed and no problem joking and sorta "flirting" with me as an out gay man. But he was definitely of the Spencer Tracy school of acting where you know your marks and you say your lines. So I can easily see how he'd clash with Patti and have little patience for her.

Haven't seen Bill since then but still in touch with him on FB and Insta.

by Anonymousreply 209March 19, 2022 1:37 AM

Faye & Patti both did "Master Class".

by Anonymousreply 210March 19, 2022 1:40 AM

She's pungent, yet citrusy!

by Anonymousreply 211March 19, 2022 1:41 AM

I am envious, R209.

by Anonymousreply 212March 19, 2022 2:43 AM

[quote] Six Tonys, bitch. Count them. SIX.

And you're still not a star, Audra.

by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2022 3:19 AM

Cast should have considered themselves lucky.

Imagine if Betty Buckley had been cast as Libbie Thatcher!

If the dog has messed the carpet, she would have drowned it in the back yard and pushed the mongoloid's nose in it.

We'd have had a scene of her fixing the brakes on Tyler Benchfield's car.

Addressing the principal over her argument to mainstream her son: "Listen to ME you goddamned bastard! My son is a trainable and as such he deserves a proper education. He ain't some common tard off the streets."

by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2022 3:39 AM

[quote]Sondheim himself said she isn't a star

Sondheim was being an asshole. He said she wasn't a star like Merman or Martin had been. He then went on to say the general public hadn't heard of her, which was just wrong, something he said to be mean. Let's not pretend like he was above being a mean bitch, because he wasn't.

By any metric, Patti LuPone is a star, even if you don't like her.

This habit of DLers to pretend like someone isn't really famous, popular, liked, or a star just because they personally don't like them is juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2022 3:48 AM

I watched the premiere episode of the series last night on YouTube, and one of the plots was how it was Patti’s character’s 40th birthday. It blew me away how old 40 looked 32 years ago. Today she would look 50.

by Anonymousreply 216March 19, 2022 6:36 AM

[quote] OK, FWIW I worked with Bill Smitrovich in the late 1990s and just loved him, found him to be a total mensch.

So, you worked on "Millennium"? I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 217March 19, 2022 7:06 AM

What does Bill look like now?

by Anonymousreply 218March 19, 2022 7:08 AM

Bill played Blake and Dominique's father on the Dynasty reboot.

by Anonymousreply 219March 19, 2022 7:10 AM

Oh, wow, poor Bill looked ancient on (new) Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 220March 19, 2022 7:14 AM

She's a star. If you don't get the talent and technique of this kind of singing you'll never understand Patti LuPone. This is not the Broadway version - it's for TV. She sets her intention on the notes and never falters. The crescendos are a a thrill, the power and timing build, the pace quickens and her voice is like a twister above the band - she's a miracle of a performer. Just not for everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2022 7:28 AM

R127 [quote] If just Patricia Neal or Edgar Bergen had come back they would've had to have received star billing because their names were so well known and would've been used to sale the series initially.

Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2022 7:40 AM

[quote]I always preferred Paige 2.0 over the original.

Same here. I guess I'm a bit biased, because around the same time I fell in love with a TV movie about Bonnie & Clyde starring her (Tracey Needham) and TWIN PEAKS' Dana Ashbrook. Incidentally, the film also features Betty Buckley as Bonnie's mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 19, 2022 9:03 AM

R67 were you living outside of the country? The show received a lot of publicity when it premiered, because it featured a character/actor with Down's Syndrome in a major role. Later, it gained more notoriety when it tackled HIV/AIDS via the Chad Lowe character. This was big news at the time. In the early '90s, people were dropping like flies from AIDS. And not just homosexuals. It became alarming, but a cocktail wasn't introduced until 1996. I also remember that FORREST GUMP changed Jenny's cause of death to AIDS to make it more relevant. In the book, she died of hepatitis.

by Anonymousreply 224March 19, 2022 9:11 AM

People can say what they want. I've been hearing it for over thirty years. But the fact is, she is THE single most thrilling live performer I've ever seen in my life. In fact, no one even comes close. For me, she is one of the the reasons I'm happy I got to live my life. What she does up on that stage, in my opinion, no one else can do.

by Anonymousreply 225March 19, 2022 9:40 AM

Bill may be an asshole but Petty LuPony is notorious for bitching about everyone and everything. Her memoirs were just page after page of her being a rancid cunt and moaning about how everything that did not go as she wanted was always someone else's fault. This shrieking fishwife has had a problem with 90% of the people she's worked with. That tells me that she is likely the one who is the cause of most of her problems.

She keeps bringing up her Juilliard training as though she is some highly regarded thespian. The roles like Evita that she bitches about are precisely why she is even remembered by anyone these days.

She gushes over that other bitch Mandy Che Patinkin though. Did the two of them fuck during the Broadway run of Evita?

by Anonymousreply 226March 19, 2022 9:57 AM

A little unhinged there, R226? She’s an enormously popular co-star

by Anonymousreply 227March 19, 2022 10:00 AM

R207 Starts at 31:22 at the link (33:18 if you're impatient). He says there are no theatre stars who draw a mainstream audience anymore - that those draws come from film and television. Patti says she disagrees, that all her success has come from theatre, and Sondheim says she isn't a draw outside of the theatre world, that the general public don't know who she is.

[quote]He then went on to say the general public hadn't heard of her, which was just wrong, something he said to be mean.

No, you're just wrong yourself. They really haven't. Get out of the Broadway bubble. You might be able to prompt a few memories with 'she played so and so in this and that', but her name means nothing to most people. Hell, Patti herself seems to agree with him, as she drops her objections.

And he wasn't just being mean. He tries to buck her up earlier in the interview when she's telling a story about how no-one wanted to be partnered with her during the start of rehearsals (24:29) and he says they were just afraid and intimidated by her. He's not being mean, he's just stating fact.

[quote]She's a star. If you don't get the talent and technique of this kind of singing you'll never understand Patti LuPone.

Technique doesn't make a star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 19, 2022 12:08 PM

OP, where does Smitrovich call her "insidiously cunning and artfully deceptive"? Are you just trying to translate the word 'guileful' into 10th grade (i.e. Dataluonge) English?

by Anonymousreply 229March 19, 2022 12:22 PM

[quote]Get out of the Broadway bubble.

I'm not in a "Broadway bubble." My goodness, what a thing to even say. I've never seen her on stage.

She's been a major name in theater since the 1970s, but she's also been on TV shows and in movies, we've already discussed this. She's got name recognition. You may not know what Steven Universe is, but I can guarantee you that she couldn't have gotten a role on the show without having enough name recognition that fans would know who she was.

No, she's not Ethel Merman, who was a huge household name, but Sondheim says LuPone is no Mary Martin, either, and that's ridiculous. No one knows who Mary Martin is anymore and her heyday was over by 1968, AND Martin herself said that she was no draw outside of live performance.

by Anonymousreply 230March 19, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote]No one knows who Mary Martin is anymore and her heyday was over by 1968

And? Sondheim was obviously not talking her in the present, what with her having been dead for a few decades and all.

But hey, Patti got cast to voice a part in a cartoon, that must be proof she's a household name. LOL imagine making yourself look that stupid to defend Patti Lu-fucking-Pone.

by Anonymousreply 231March 19, 2022 12:54 PM

Sondheim is right in a way. In the old days, there were variety shows like Ed Sullivan, Carol Burnett, Flip Wilson, Judy Garland.

Broadway performers were known by everyone because they appeared on these shows that everyone watched. By the time LuPone came around, variety shows were dying, so she’s not as well known because television changed and she didn’t have the same opportunity. Her tv work after Life Goes on was very niche and she’s not had a mainstream movie career.

by Anonymousreply 232March 19, 2022 12:56 PM

Even if he is right or wrong it is still a MARVEL to tell a performer to their face they are limited in their appeal and fame. Especially someone as thin skinned as Patti. I happen to be a huge fan of Patti but even I can see that she takes everything extremely personally and I’m sure in many ways his comments were hurtful to hear.

by Anonymousreply 233March 19, 2022 1:04 PM

I said she wasn't a household name like Ethel Merman. If the only thing you can do to contradict me is lie about what I said, what is even the point, r232?

by Anonymousreply 234March 19, 2022 1:11 PM

R234 was for R231, sorry about that r232.

by Anonymousreply 235March 19, 2022 1:12 PM

R200 Learn English

by Anonymousreply 236March 19, 2022 1:30 PM

R234 Dumb fuck I quoted your own words. You literally said

[quote]No one knows who Mary Martin is anymore

How am I lying about what you said when I'm quoting your exact words?

And let's see, who do I trust more to know what a draw on Broadway was - Stephen Sondheim or the fool who thinks Patti LuPone is a household name.

by Anonymousreply 237March 19, 2022 1:56 PM

Curious, in regards to the general public, whose name do they know of or have heard of more, sondheim or lupone's?....

by Anonymousreply 238March 19, 2022 2:07 PM

I didn't realize she was in Life Goes On.

by Anonymousreply 239March 19, 2022 2:14 PM

r239 given the amount of people that say that...

one would think the stans would take that to mean she was a nobody.

but at this very moment, they're digging thru her dumpster for her used depends to eat the shit out of.

so, they'll likely never see it.

by Anonymousreply 240March 19, 2022 2:22 PM

[quote] Curious, in regards to the general public, whose name do they know of or have heard of more, sondheim or lupone's?....

They may not know Sondheim’s name, but they are more familiar with his work.

At least up through the 90s, everyone knew “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” and “Send in the Clowns.”

by Anonymousreply 241March 19, 2022 2:23 PM

Patti’s a cunt. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 242March 19, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote] This shrieking fishwife has had a problem with 90% of the people she's worked with. That tells me that she is likely the one who is the cause of most of her problems.

If you loved that book, you'll adore mine!

by Anonymousreply 243March 19, 2022 2:26 PM

At least three Broadway shows had stories of Patti being a bitch backstage:

Evita

Anything Goes

Noises Off

by Anonymousreply 244March 19, 2022 2:32 PM

Noises Off is a special case because it involved BCEFA and was a big reason why she lost a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 245March 19, 2022 2:45 PM

r61 During the show's run, they made excuses for his behavior... after the show's end, so did the excuses and he was quite bitter. He did manage to find work during the 90s, publish a book, put out a few cds but never garnered the same level of attention as LGO. He went from an international poster child for downs to virtually a nobody. He was known for getting physically aggressive and verbally abusive. So, it's hardly surprising he "retired" early while Andrea Friedman is still working.

by Anonymousreply 246March 19, 2022 2:47 PM

R228, thanks so much. That was totally reasonable of Sondheim and not anywhere near rude, which is what I had I feared. I appreciate your effort!

by Anonymousreply 247March 19, 2022 8:24 PM

There's a stan on Twitter whose page is called LiZaOutlives, so every day he can post news flashes like - Liza Outlives Jussie Smollett's time behind bars. Or Liza Minnelli has outlived Tom Brady's retirement! Cracks me up.

Patti LuPone needs no such gimmicks. She can speak for herself.❤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248March 19, 2022 8:50 PM

Patti is trouble. So many people have spoken about the nightmare she is.

by Anonymousreply 249March 19, 2022 8:52 PM

Patti is force of nature and a phenomenal talent.

by Anonymousreply 250March 19, 2022 9:16 PM

Let’s hear. This long list of people who have said she’s a total nightmare…

by Anonymousreply 251March 19, 2022 9:18 PM

I had a dream once that my partner and I were eating at an outdoor restaurant when Patti came by with a friend and joined us.

She sat there talking only to my partner, while I fumed. I woke up and said "It was just such a waste, Patti LuPone talking to you and ignoring me, because you would have no appreciation for the conversation."

He said "Who is she again?" and I replied "exactly."

Those who know her know her well and are excited when she appears on television or anywhere else. Those who don't know her, oh well. Their loss.

by Anonymousreply 252March 19, 2022 9:26 PM

I say they bring back the husband, and let the sparks fly.

Somehow I never realized they switched out the older sister.

by Anonymousreply 253March 19, 2022 9:29 PM

Mayim Bialik was offered the part of Becca - back then she was a big star because of "Beaches" - but her agent mother wasn't keen on the work hours for a one-hour drama series. She preferred the schedule a half-hour sitcom has, which is basically 9 to 5, except for tape night.

So they signed a development deal with FOX for a sitcom, while the role of Becca went to the runner-up. Kellie Martin.

FOX sitcom bombed, but Bialik wound up on a similar sitcom later, "Blossom"

by Anonymousreply 254March 19, 2022 9:30 PM

Anyone else worked with someone in a position they where their talents and skills were far greater than their position, but they needed a paycheck? I have, and they are usually bored, unhappy and unchallenged. And they make sure everyone knows it. My intuition is PL committed to this show, but regretted it, and the fallout was her unhappiness, which manifested itself in contentious situations. My guess is she’s not completely the blame, but would bet money she instigated much of it, either directly or indirectly.

by Anonymousreply 255March 19, 2022 9:40 PM

EVITA was a huge hit and made Patti into a star, but as she even said, she had great difficulty trying to follow that up, so she took to the road and overseas to find roles. As a result, she never wanted for work, but she never recaptured the heights of that initial burst of fame. I suspect if she had gotten to do Sunset in the US instead of Glenn, she would have.

Compared to Bernadette, but then Bernadette had champions in Carol Burnett and Norman Lear. Patti didn't have that kind of networking in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 256March 19, 2022 9:41 PM

Patti was asked what songs does she use when she auditions

She replied "I don't audition anymore" - she is offer only.

by Anonymousreply 257March 19, 2022 9:43 PM

Wife Goes On

And on

And on

And on

And on

And on

And …

by Anonymousreply 258March 19, 2022 9:58 PM

After EVITA, didn't Patti do community theater and was ridiculed for it?

by Anonymousreply 259March 19, 2022 10:18 PM

Bernadette is a good example for the Sondheim story as the exception that proves the rule.

by Anonymousreply 260March 19, 2022 10:47 PM

In 1985 Patti LuPone won the Olivier award for Best Actress in a Musical. Not only was she the FIRST american actress and musical performer to perform with The Royal Shakespeare Company, she actually tied with HERSELF to win the Olivier award for her performances in Les Miserable AND The Cradle Will Rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 19, 2022 10:48 PM

A Legend for this alone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 19, 2022 10:52 PM

Shorter and better. DIVA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263March 19, 2022 10:54 PM

Speak up Patti.❤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264March 19, 2022 10:56 PM

Hi, Patti, at R261!

You sure look old!

by Anonymousreply 265March 19, 2022 11:06 PM

Patti was amusing on Will and Grace.

by Anonymousreply 266March 19, 2022 11:08 PM

Hate her all you want (I'm no Pattistan) but this was flawless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267March 19, 2022 11:09 PM

I loved her work with Cole Porter's hits.

It encapsulates my complicated appreciation of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268March 19, 2022 11:12 PM

by Anonymousreply 269March 19, 2022 11:15 PM

[QUOTE] At first glance, I thought the actor with Down Syndrome was just British.

I think we all did.

by Anonymousreply 270March 19, 2022 11:16 PM

Her mouth/snarl is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 271March 19, 2022 11:41 PM

She's charming, truthful and sometimes abrasive. With a wonderful sense of humor. She has an artists ego & a surprising lack of vanity. What's not to love?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272March 19, 2022 11:50 PM

After a week of shows and three hours on stage as Evita she would go to Les Mouches late on Saturday nights and sing. like. this. Astounding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 19, 2022 11:53 PM

[quote] Mayim Bialik was offered the part of Becca - back then she was a big star because of "Beaches" - but her agent mother wasn't keen on the work hours for a one-hour drama series. She preferred the schedule a half-hour sitcom has, which is basically 9 to 5, except for tape night.

Can anyone imagine Patti going along with the "Blossom, you're beautiful" narrative that Bialyk and her momager insisted on? Through gritted teeth with a death glare, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 274March 20, 2022 3:17 AM

I just thought Corky was LuPone's real son.

I mean... You know.

by Anonymousreply 275March 20, 2022 3:40 AM

How was Patti a cunt to Corky? And who did Corky touch inappropriately?

by Anonymousreply 276March 20, 2022 3:57 AM

Patti as Beth Jarrett.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 277March 20, 2022 3:59 AM

Fogetta about it. It's Patti Damn LuPone. That incredible power and ringing resonance and gorgeous vibrato. She's a wonderful actress and a fucking thrilling singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 20, 2022 5:30 AM

You may have Angie's autograph, but she actually hired ME for a "Murder She Wrote."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279March 20, 2022 5:40 AM

If Patti was so great, then why was she never on Falcon Crest? She would've been no match for Angela Channing!

by Anonymousreply 280March 20, 2022 6:11 AM

SHUT UP PATTI LUPONE! SHUT YOUR MAGNIFICENT BRASSY TRAP!

by Anonymousreply 281March 20, 2022 6:13 AM

Ok r277…

If Patti had played Beth Jarrett, the film would be millions over budget, replacing all that scenery she chewed up.

She’d get along with Dinah Manoff but nobody else. Donald Sutherland would get into an argument with her on set one day, calling her a “fucking cunt” through clenched teeth, and she would then slap him across the face and storm off to her dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 282March 20, 2022 6:18 AM

^ fool ^

by Anonymousreply 283March 20, 2022 6:22 AM

I love Patti. I don't give AF about her relationships with co-stars

by Anonymousreply 284March 20, 2022 6:33 AM

Patti needs to have her own sitcom like Roseanne, Cybill, and Bette.

by Anonymousreply 285March 20, 2022 6:35 AM

R285 "Patti with an I"

by Anonymousreply 286March 20, 2022 6:43 AM

I LOVE her. Still hitting those notes. Patti's not the one who needed the score transposed down....ever.

She's 62 here, pretty and having fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287March 20, 2022 6:55 AM

Did Bill get to see Patti's tits? You know the ones she pulled out for her failed film career?

by Anonymousreply 288March 20, 2022 7:52 AM

Did Patti flash her TV son, Corky, on the set?

by Anonymousreply 289March 20, 2022 7:55 AM

Pick your prolapse up and go to bed gramps, @ R289.

by Anonymousreply 290March 20, 2022 7:59 AM

Child accidentally bumps into Patti LuPone

fans: I found out where that little bitch goes to school. I was able to get a truck but I need somebody to bring a tow hitch and a chain.

by Anonymousreply 291March 20, 2022 8:05 AM

LuPony was unprofessional enough to destroy her dressing room and even throw things out of the window when she discovered that Glenn Close would be playing Norma on Broadway. Not only that this bitch shamelessly boasts about this behavior as though being an angry, unstable lunatic is something to be proud of.

In most other professions destroying the workplace would have made her unhirable anywhere else no matter how justified she thinks she was in her delusional head. The woman is a raging narcissist who has a compulsive need to be the center of attention at all times. She is a toxic cunt with a hideous timbre to boot.

And let's not even get started on her "I'd be considered a beauty in Italy" delusion.

by Anonymousreply 292March 20, 2022 8:17 AM

^ Ancient white RACIST fag. ^

Stupid OLD man.

by Anonymousreply 293March 20, 2022 8:30 AM

R288 Patti also had her nipples sucked on by her on-screen husband in SUMMER OF S.A.M.M. I wonder what that was like for her real-life husband? And for Spike Lee to direct??

by Anonymousreply 294March 20, 2022 8:36 AM

Boy, so many repeat posters., Lol. F U I love Patti "Lupony". She has a career. And you?

by Anonymousreply 295March 20, 2022 8:39 AM

Patti’s son is fairly low profile. What does he do?

by Anonymousreply 296March 20, 2022 11:41 AM

Leave Patti alone!

by Anonymousreply 297March 20, 2022 11:48 AM

Say what you like but I will always give Patti a pass for this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 20, 2022 12:17 PM

Newsflash: those actors who work regularly have both talent and also are a positive force on set. She’s sufficiently well respected and liked.

by Anonymousreply 299March 20, 2022 3:15 PM

Let’s not forget-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 20, 2022 5:50 PM

Good for her. I can’t imagine performing and dealing with such rudeness. People are texting, digging into their cellophane candy bags for the next piece and getting up to pee or leave… all in the middle of serious scenes, and often in front rows.

Since we aren’t allowed to commission drones to shoot them, I’ll take whatever she can do from the stage!

by Anonymousreply 301March 20, 2022 6:28 PM

The universal love and RESPECT for Patti LuPone are far greater than any ancient Ethel Merman troll on DL can fight.

by Anonymousreply 302March 20, 2022 7:00 PM

God she’s a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 303March 20, 2022 7:07 PM

Patti is not afraid to give her opinion. She is FUN! And Cynthia Nixon is a good assist here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 20, 2022 7:23 PM

I haven't seen her live but I always thought her voice sounded too loud and sharp. I get it now. She's incredible. A truly amazing vocalist. Her power, range & technique were married to the ballsiest broad. She only became better with time.

Brava Patti LuPone

by Anonymousreply 305March 21, 2022 4:59 AM

Patti, who thinks that her shit don’t stink. Newsflash! Your shit STINKS! Cannot stand this cunt. She’s not as good as she thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 306March 21, 2022 1:51 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 21, 2022 6:26 PM

Who is more obnoxious and with the bigger ego? Patti LuPone or Patti LaBelle?

by Anonymousreply 308March 22, 2022 7:00 AM

^Well, both of them do have their pies to consider.

by Anonymousreply 309March 22, 2022 1:32 PM

All Pattis/Pattys are meh: Davis, Deutsch, Hearst, Labelle, Lupone, McCormack, Page, Peppermint, Scialfa, Smith...but not Duke, she's awesome!

by Anonymousreply 310March 22, 2022 9:58 PM

What about Chayefsky?

by Anonymousreply 311March 22, 2022 10:35 PM

R310 Simcox!

by Anonymousreply 312March 24, 2022 2:40 AM

R184 Back in 1982, Forbidden Broadway opened. At the time, Streisand had optioned Evita, and of course Forbidden Broadway did their version of Patti’s response, “Don’t Cry for Me, Barbara Streisand.” Still one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard, great play on the lyrics and lots of inside jokes on Evita and Patti’s fledgeling Diva behavior woven in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 24, 2022 3:04 AM

Streisand could never hit the notes required in the Evita score. Not as written. And every female singer in the world from ONJ to Karen Carpenter, Shirley Bassey and Sinead O'Connor have recorded Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Even Tom Jones and Sammy Davis Jr. That's not the hard part of the score to sing. It's the ALW format of one HIT record per Broadway show. The song kind of drags to be honest. Requires a great presence like Patti LuPone's.

Streisand would have need the score transposed down, of course. She can't hit the notes of A New Argentina, never mind stay up there. And she would have added nothing to it. Madonna did the best version of a lessor singer, as it turned out. She took some lessons and put her heart into it. It wasn't a professional job - but she sounded really nice. They dumbed it down for her in a lovely way. And her voice actually has a good range. Her voice is warm where it needs to be for Evita and sharp and thin where it suits the song too. Not the worst mistake. Her interpretation is close to Julie Covingtons. For record only.

Streisand, Streep, Minelli or Pfeiffer would have been huge mistakes.

Evita belongs to Patti LuPone. It's impossible for ANY female lead to traverse the whole show well vocally. Live. Her astounding voice is THE reason the poorly reviewed show ever became a hit.

Streisand, the Jewish Evita. Showing her ass and fingernails. YUK. She should die in all her films.

by Anonymousreply 314March 24, 2022 4:43 AM

She was SO nasty to her gay brother. You’re doing…………soap operas?

by Anonymousreply 315March 24, 2022 4:53 AM

Patti is not nasty, r315. The old MAN who keeps posting in CAPS is NASTY all over this site. For years and YEARS now. It's a troll that never gives up on trying to win a point. But it is POINTLESS and unfortunately VERY stupid. About EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 316March 24, 2022 4:58 AM

* Of course I meant to say that Streisand could never sing the notes on Buenos Aires, but she couldn't have managed Evita's vocal on A New Argentina or High Flying Adored either. It's a real workout for the greatest mezzo soprano like Patti. A truly powerful soprano - Celine could sing it gorgeously. But why?

by Anonymousreply 317March 24, 2022 5:08 AM

I prefer Sinead O'Connor's Don't Cry for Me Argentina on her1992 album Am I Not Your Girl.

by Anonymousreply 318March 24, 2022 5:10 AM

Elaine Paige, who originated the role, sang it at least as well as LuPone did, if not better. I find Paige better on "Rainbow High" while LuPone conveys the shrill, melodramatic, political speech nature of "A New Argentina" more effectively.

by Anonymousreply 319March 24, 2022 8:02 AM

Elaine Paige was NOT the original!

by Anonymousreply 320March 24, 2022 10:28 AM

[quote]Streisand, Streep, Minelli or Pfeiffer would have been huge mistakes.

And what about me? My Evita would have been a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 321March 24, 2022 10:31 AM

Julie at R320, Elaine originated the role on stage. You were offered the part after you did the concept recording but you turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 322March 24, 2022 11:28 AM

^But doing the concept recording, Julie created the role, not Elaine. Paige was the first stage Eva, not the first Eva.

by Anonymousreply 323March 24, 2022 12:12 PM

I was the first Eva, bitches

by Anonymousreply 324March 24, 2022 1:13 PM

She has all the talents of a Z list lounge singer in Vegas with a face like a possum and a nasty soul to match. She's garbage in every fiber of her being.

by Anonymousreply 325March 24, 2022 2:44 PM

R13 *SHE. There I fixed it for ya! Cause you can only be talking about Possum face Patti.

by Anonymousreply 326March 24, 2022 2:48 PM

I coulda W&W R314, until that... unnecessarily harsh last sentence. And I'm not slobbering Streisand queen.

by Anonymousreply 327March 24, 2022 2:49 PM

Julie Covington sounded like she was singing it after one too many somethingzepams. Paige sounded like she was singing it in a tin can.

by Anonymousreply 328March 24, 2022 2:50 PM

I loathed Covington on the concept album! She sounded so bored throughout. No passion in her performance whatsoever. And I hated how she mispronounced descamisados as day-camisados. Meanwhile, everyone else said it right. No one bothered to correct her? Or did she simply not care?

by Anonymousreply 329March 24, 2022 4:10 PM

Never forget, the gays at DL have trouble with strong and successful women! At least she’s not trans, in which case (pin)heads would be exploding.

by Anonymousreply 330March 24, 2022 4:28 PM

1) Nobody outside of theatre knows who this bitch is. 2) If by strong you mean rancid cunt with a face like a raccoon and a body like a garbage bag, then sure. Whatever. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 331March 24, 2022 4:35 PM

You all are trashing Patti, so when is someone going to trash Bill?

by Anonymousreply 332March 24, 2022 4:57 PM

R331, please post your pic. Your bitter attitude could only be created by years of being shunned.

by Anonymousreply 333March 24, 2022 7:16 PM

She was just fine for the concept album, r329. At that point it was just a...concept album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334March 24, 2022 7:28 PM

R333 Ha! Not even close buddy. I just think she's gross AF and I hate her guts. She's disgusting. Listening to her sing would be living in the seventh circle of hell. Pure torture.

by Anonymousreply 335March 24, 2022 9:34 PM

Streisand never optioned Evita. She told reporters back in the day that she had seen it and hated it. It was the producers according to Barbra who used her name to try and sell tickets.

And you know Lupone heard all of this, which is why she's never a nice thing to say about Barbra. She even got offended in one interview when someone asked her if Streisand was an influence.

by Anonymousreply 336March 24, 2022 9:47 PM

I love Covington. She had a punkish spirit. It worked very well for the character.

by Anonymousreply 337March 24, 2022 10:02 PM

Florence Lacey traversed the show well vocally. For years and years. There are others (e.g. Jacqui Scott).

by Anonymousreply 338March 24, 2022 10:03 PM

Lupone looks and behaves like the greedy, alcoholic madam of a cheap whorehouse who abuses her girls. I have always found her and her singing hideously ugly. Every time I see her on the screen I feel she must be one of those hags with a really smelly pussy. Lupone is the Cheryl of musical theater. With an ugly snarl on her face.

by Anonymousreply 339March 24, 2022 10:55 PM

Ibegtadiffyyabilly!

by Anonymousreply 340March 24, 2022 10:58 PM

R339 I love you.

by Anonymousreply 341March 24, 2022 11:48 PM

R339 is an insane poster. He's not welcome here. Shoo.

by Anonymousreply 342March 24, 2022 11:53 PM

I saw Lupone in Evita. It was a good night for her. She was mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 343March 25, 2022 12:03 AM

I have never seen LUpone before. LaPone maybe. Not Lu though. Anybody ever seen that before?

by Anonymousreply 344March 25, 2022 2:25 AM

I have the Life Goes On Life Story book and it's a very good, positive read. With that said everyone that worked with Bill on LGO said that he was a genuinely nice guy, funny, professional and great to work with. If that were so, how come Patti said he was a bully and difficult to work with? I've never heard anyone else complain about him while working with him. Is Patti right and Bill really is mean and a bully? Or is the LGO book right and Bill is a nice guy? I'm getting two different stories here. I know that Patti can be a diva and difficult to work with but she did get along with others she worked with, just not Bill. I disagree with Patti when she says that she and Bill had no chemistry. They had loads of screen chemistry, and that's why Michael Braverman chose them to play Drew and Libby. He said they were the best actors for the roles. I'm thinking Patti may just be bitter and that's why she felt the need to attack Bill. I guess we will never really know the real truth, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 345March 28, 2022 5:41 PM

You bore me R345. And Patti never lies.

by Anonymousreply 346March 28, 2022 5:49 PM

[quote] And you know Lupone heard all of this, which is why she's never a nice thing to say about Barbra.

The only PattiGripe I agree with is that when the London Sunset Boulevard opened, when callers were put on hold, they heard Barbra’s versions of “With One Look” and “As If We Never Said Goodbye”. I’d be pissed as well.

by Anonymousreply 347March 28, 2022 5:53 PM

Patti said ALW must hate women because of how he wrote the EVITA score for the title character. She is prone to talking absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 348March 28, 2022 5:53 PM

[quote] Patti said ALW must hate women because of how he wrote the EVITA score for the title character. She is prone to talking absolute shit.

Patti never should have said it that way and her point was lost. Julie Covington refused the role because she knew it was a difficult sing. And Elaine Paige started doing 8 shows a week and had to request to scale back. So Patti’s point was that it was a difficult sing but that doesn’t mean ALW hated women.

by Anonymousreply 349March 28, 2022 6:02 PM

[quote]I always preferred Paige 2.0 over the original.

So I just looked up the second actress who played Paige, Tracey Needham. I think she was pretty, and it looks like she has had a long career in television. She has been married to her husband since 1995. Oh, and today (3/28) happens to be her birthday.

by Anonymousreply 350March 28, 2022 6:04 PM

As much as I love LGO, I can't help but feel a little disappointed now knowing that Patti and Bill didn't get along. It takes away the magic of the show for me. Bill and Patti were amazing in their roles but the show lost something after hearing that news. I just wish people could get along.

by Anonymousreply 351March 28, 2022 6:21 PM

Listening to that theme song tells you everything about this cunt. She just can’t help herself, she has to sing over everyone, even Corky.

Patti is just a great big hambone, and if there is a microphone in a 500 ft radius she is going to seize it and take the spotlight for herself. She must be exhausting to live with.

by Anonymousreply 352March 28, 2022 6:32 PM

Patti is LOVE.

by Anonymousreply 353March 28, 2022 6:47 PM

R351, that's just how I felt when I was five years old and learned that Gabe Kaplan and Marcia Strassman didn't get along in real life.

by Anonymousreply 354March 28, 2022 7:23 PM

Patti is a miserable old cunt. And she’s not that good.

by Anonymousreply 355March 29, 2022 12:24 AM

Love her or hate her, LuPone out Mermans Merman. She's a fucking legend. In fifty years time Glenn Close will still be trying to revive Sunset - at the LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 356March 29, 2022 12:27 AM

[Quote] LuPone out Mermans Merman

It was pointed out that LuPone didn't have the strength of voice of Merman when LuPone was reviewed in "Anything Goes."

by Anonymousreply 357March 29, 2022 1:00 AM

Well, that's definitive then. Ha-rumph!

by Anonymousreply 358March 29, 2022 1:11 AM

Well, it's a joke that LuPone will have a Broadway theatre named after her.

by Anonymousreply 359March 29, 2022 1:16 AM

Yes, queen, it was. Lighten up, lumpy.

by Anonymousreply 360March 29, 2022 1:35 AM

Lumpy? I'm not Patti's cankles, dear.

by Anonymousreply 361March 29, 2022 1:36 AM

You're pretty sad, old doll. Blocking you.

by Anonymousreply 362March 29, 2022 1:44 AM

Ok, you Pattifreaks, answer these questions: Where does Patti live? Is she married? Does she have children and grandchildren?

by Anonymousreply 363March 29, 2022 2:15 AM

She lives in Conneticut. She has a son who has done some vlogs with her. The jury's out on whether he's gay or not.

by Anonymousreply 364March 29, 2022 2:23 AM

Does Patti have Mafia ties? Is she related to anyone in the mob?

by Anonymousreply 365March 29, 2022 6:22 AM

Now don't get me wrong, I think Patti is immensely talented. She has an incredible voice and is amazing actress, but her attitude stinks. I think she's bitter about a lot of things and seems to complain about everything. She plays the victim card a lot as well. She really is a Diva of the highest order. I loved the character of Libby, it's too bad Patti didn't because Libby was a great character and Drew and Libby were awesome parents. LGO is a classic show and I will always enjoy it even knowing about Patti and Bill. I'm also looking forward to the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 366March 29, 2022 10:38 AM

In all honesty, if Bill was really as big a jerk as Patti claimed she could have simply said; "I'm sorry but I can't work with this guy, he's such a jerk and a bully." But she worked with him for four years and they weren't even speaking to each other off screen by this time but she still worked with him! I don't think it was as bad as she said it was. She's a drama queen. Besides, I've seen pictures of them together and they look like they are having fun together. I've also seen the bloopers for the show as well and Patti is clearly enjoying herself. I don't know why she decided to be so bitter and negative in her book. Even Michael Braverman said all of his talks with Patti regarding her character were pleasant, but in her book she acts like working there was Hell on earth when we know it wasn't. Everyone there had a enjoyable, pleasant experience. Her bitterness and negativity makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 367March 29, 2022 12:21 PM

Patti is LOVE.❤

by Anonymousreply 368March 29, 2022 12:25 PM

If you say so... 🤨

by Anonymousreply 369March 29, 2022 12:31 PM

She can't replace Patti's seismic sound in the impossible Evita Score, but this song is so beautiful by Solea Pfeiffer. She performed the score in the original key, which shouldn't be impossible. It's not. But Patti didn't lie that what was required of the Evita score was impossible for any one singer to deliver with consistency. A lot of bad ears on Datalounge. The Evita role is written for three/four vocal tessituras and just as many tonalities. With none in mind. ALW did not get what he was doing with his female leads until Phantom. It is impossible to sing the whole Evita score well. Patti excelled. eventually. Her voice IS a wonder of the world. But the score is not designed for that. It's meant to be sung by Sarah Brightman or some lame Elaine Page type singer. Patti brought the power, the dynamics and the GREATNESS to Evita. The whole show falls apart without a singer of her calibre.

Regardless, this is lovely. Solea hit the high notes on harder songs in Evita too, but she hit them in a pinched way with compromised resonance and power. She's a distant second. Patti will never be matched in that role.

Don't joke about Ethel Merman. Ha. Who? She was a sound, not a singer. LOUD is not a substitute for singing. Patti surpassed her in everything, thank christ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370March 30, 2022 8:41 AM

[Quote] But Patti didn't lie that what was required of the Evita score was impossible for any one singer to deliver with consistency.

She absolutely did. Florence Lacey sang it with ease. For years.

by Anonymousreply 371March 30, 2022 2:47 PM

Elaine Paige and Patti LuPone are the same type of singer...

by Anonymousreply 372March 30, 2022 2:47 PM

How the fuck did Patti LuPone surpass the Queen of Broadway? What composers have written classics for Patti LuPone? Any list you can come up with won't compare to one for Merman. Merman, like Patti, wasn't photogenic but she STILL got to star in movies. Not so Patti. Has Patti ever had a major label recording contract? No. She couldn't even get "Heaven Is a Disco" out on 12 inch. What a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 373March 30, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote] she could have simply said; "I'm sorry but I can't work with this guy, he's such a jerk and a bully." But she worked with him for four years and they weren't even speaking to each other off screen by this time but she still worked with him!

Google "Breach of Contract"

Then maybe you will understand

by Anonymousreply 374March 30, 2022 3:07 PM

Google "Breach of Contract"

Then maybe you will understand Okay but how come Patti was the only one who seemed to have a problem with him? I have the LGO book and everyone else that worked with him didn't have a problem with him. They said he was a nice guy and loved working with him. I've also seen him in interviews and he doesn't come across as a bully at all. He's really nice! I guess I just don't understand...

by Anonymousreply 375March 30, 2022 3:38 PM

How does this guy have any room to talk, when all the other actors like each other - but none like him. Not true. Everyone else who worked with him liked him. I have the Life Goes On book and they all say what a nice guy he was and how much they enjoyed working with him.

by Anonymousreply 376March 30, 2022 3:43 PM

So Patti's fans are as deluded and unstable as she is.

by Anonymousreply 377March 30, 2022 5:04 PM

Genius is seldom stable.

Merman was stable...

by Anonymousreply 378March 30, 2022 7:48 PM

Merman married Ernest Borgnine. How stable could she be?

by Anonymousreply 379March 30, 2022 7:56 PM

stable like a farm animal....ethel merman was a bellowing cow with a wandering vibrato

by Anonymousreply 380March 30, 2022 8:16 PM

Ethel Merman is cool, daddy-o.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381March 30, 2022 9:27 PM

Disco Patti!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382March 30, 2022 9:35 PM

Disco Patti? Are you fuckin' kiddin' me? That is sooooo laughable! Mid-1980s crap music! 🤮

by Anonymousreply 383March 30, 2022 10:34 PM

I just got done watching an interview with Bill Smitrovitch and he talked about how he got the role of Drew, meeting Chris, meeting Patti and auditioning with her. He said the audition went very smoothly and was a very good audition. He said working on the show meant a lot to him, it was a very special time in his life and it taught him a lot. He had tears in his eyes while talking about the show. Not once does he ever say a bad word about Patti despite the fact she trashed him in her book. He's got a lot of class. I honestly don't know why Patti hated him so much, he's such a respectable, funny, friendly, humble, geniune guy. I could listen to him all day. I have much respect for him. The interview was awesome and I learned a lot about him. It breaks my heart that Patti had to say such awful things about him in her book. I don't know why she felt she had to say the things she said. I still have a very special place in my heart for Life Goes On, nothing will ever change that.

by Anonymousreply 384March 31, 2022 3:58 AM

^ weirdo ^

Nobody gives a rusty fuck about Bill Smitrovitch.

Leave Patti LuPone alone. She's a legend.

by Anonymousreply 385March 31, 2022 7:00 AM

^ weirdo ^

Nobody gives a rusty fuck about Bill Smitrovitch.

Leave Patti LuPone alone. She's a legend.

I'm a weirdo? Excuse me for having an opinion. Nobody cares about you! 😒 And yes Patti is a legend and I've never debated that, but her attitude stinks. Being a legend doesn't give you the right to trash other people.

by Anonymousreply 386March 31, 2022 10:31 AM

Her attitude actually does kinda stink. She's entertaining, but she's got pretty terrible manners.

by Anonymousreply 387March 31, 2022 12:47 PM

R387 Which is then compounded by her victim complex. It'd be one thing if she owned her assholery, but instead she acts like an asshole and then whines about the complications from it.

by Anonymousreply 388March 31, 2022 1:04 PM

Nobody gives a fuck about cunty Patti.

by Anonymousreply 389March 31, 2022 1:45 PM

Patti is LOVE. ❤

by Anonymousreply 390March 31, 2022 2:46 PM

Self Love, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 391March 31, 2022 3:02 PM

If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love someone else?

Patti is LOVE.❤

by Anonymousreply 392March 31, 2022 3:09 PM

Patti is the female version of Will Smith. Entitled, arrogant, and antagonistic.

by Anonymousreply 393March 31, 2022 3:36 PM

Bow down bitches. Patti is hard work and pure talent. She respects her own talent, as she should.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 31, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote] Disco Patti? Are you fuckin' kiddin' me? That is sooooo laughable! Mid-1980s crap music!

A girl’s gotta buy coke. You think all the energy to play Evita came because she had Sicilian anger burning in her gut?

by Anonymousreply 395March 31, 2022 7:04 PM

Well, based on her track record, yes, because that much coke over all these years surely woulda killed her by now.

by Anonymousreply 396March 31, 2022 7:10 PM

She IS talented and I respect and admire that talent BUT that still doesn't give her any rights to trash others. She's human and is not perfect herself. She doesn't have respect for anyone but herself.

by Anonymousreply 397March 31, 2022 7:15 PM

You're a whiner and a very OLD baby, R397. Nobody has respect for someone like you!

by Anonymousreply 398March 31, 2022 7:16 PM

She had respect for Sondheim. She shut up when he said live on the radio that she wasn't a star.

by Anonymousreply 399March 31, 2022 7:19 PM

You're a whiner and a very OLD baby, [R397]. Nobody has respect for someone like you. Okay, I'm a whiner. But I'm not a baby. I'm just giving my opinion. And there are a lot of people who respect me and I respect them. I'm sorry you don't like what I have to say.

by Anonymousreply 400March 31, 2022 7:29 PM

Patti is problematic, and a bully, and thinks way too highly of herself.

She acts like she's the Grande Dame of Broadway, but we all know she's just the biggest fish in a small and overlooked pond. This foray into network television was a dud for her, and she's not a film actor. She needs to feel like the queen of the stage, because it's all she'll ever have.

Granted, stage acting is tougher and more authentic than the glitz and glam of film media, but she needs to knock down that ego of hers. She's not Queen Elizabeth. At her best, she's Queen Sonja of Norway.

by Anonymousreply 401March 31, 2022 7:36 PM

Patti has a habit of acting high and mighty.

When she was in a Broadway show (I think it was Evita but I’m not sure) she said she’d open a window and listen to the carriage trade on the street. “Carriage trade” from a Long Island girl. Pretentious much?

Also when she was in another Broadway show, she gave an interview in The NY Times complaining about tourists in Times Square and she said “Do I have to say to them, “Excuse me, I have a show to get to.”

by Anonymousreply 402March 31, 2022 7:52 PM

Didn't she also dismiss some of the theatres as not really being real Broadway because of their location?

by Anonymousreply 403March 31, 2022 8:34 PM

R403, R402, R401 and R400 are all the same poster. Sad old man who talks to himself and supports his own opinions from several accounts. He posts within a minute of his previous post - saying exactly the same thing. The AndressC moniker is a new account of his. What a fucking old bore. He has to get the last word in but never has anything insightful to say. He understands nothing about the arts or music but a LOT about his old crushes from 40 years ago, when he was 32. He has many weird obsessions that Datalounge is familiar with. Who knew Bill Whathisnameovitch was one of them?

Over 160 of the negative post about Patti on this thread are from him. He'll keep going until the thread is full, because he is that mentally ill AND lonely. Many of you know him by name.....

by Anonymousreply 404March 31, 2022 8:36 PM

You're an idiot, R404, and utterly wrong

by Anonymousreply 405March 31, 2022 8:42 PM

Carriage trade means wealthy patrons.

by Anonymousreply 406March 31, 2022 8:44 PM

The AndressC moniker is a new account of his.

Um, no it's not. You couldn't be more wrong.I happen to be a 42 year old married WOMAN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407March 31, 2022 9:08 PM

Who knew Bill Whathisnameovitch was one of them?

So me being a fan of Bill Smitrovitch makes me a weirdo? I happen to like his work and loved his role as Drew on LGO. And I don't hate Patti, I loved her portrayal of Libby. I just think that her attitude stinks. I'm sorry I don't worship the ground she walks on.

by Anonymousreply 408March 31, 2022 10:02 PM

Libby always seemed really tired on the show...which I guess is understandable, but watching a tired mom on a Sunday night was the last thing I wanted to do.

by Anonymousreply 409April 1, 2022 12:54 AM

Libby always seemed really tired on the show...which I guess is understandable, but watching a tired mom on a Sunday night was the last thing I wanted to do.

I never got that vibe from her. I just really liked the character. She was a good wife and mother and a role model. I liked it when the show allowed her to sing and perform because she was really good at it and you could tell she loved it. I think my favorite Libby scene was when she told Kathryn off when they were in the kitchen. I was totally rooting for Libby because Kathryn was a terrible mother for abandoning Paige and making Libby look like the bad guy. I loved it when Paige called Libby mom at the end. 😊

by Anonymousreply 410April 1, 2022 3:00 AM

Has Corky weighed in on this situation?

by Anonymousreply 411April 1, 2022 3:10 AM

Why do you insist on proving me right all night and day R411? aka R410. R409, r408.....etc.

Yeah, you're a 42 year old woman raving on about a 30 year old show that nobody watched.

Patti LuPone is the only reason to be here. She had to slum it with that nasty ugly Bill Mistrcovidbitch!

Do NOT present her with any more indignities.

Please talk to yourself on another thread. And topic. Have you done Tori Amos or the ugly girl rocker with the bad wig lately?

Jussie Smollett maybe.

What about Supermodels of the 80s?

Leave the LEGEND alone.

That legend is.... Patti LuPone. ❤

by Anonymousreply 412April 1, 2022 3:22 AM

R412 is unhinged...just like fuckin' Patti. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 413April 1, 2022 3:27 AM

^ This John Mulaney troll is the one unhinged. He posted over 1,000 times about that wall eyed white boy. R413 is also the Tori Amos Freak and Life Goes ON nocturnal emission troll, Dog face Gia Garageme - Supermodels of the 70s expert AND lover of some ratty ass wig wearing ugly rocker chick who can't sing. Don't forget the endless days and nights of Jussie Smollett and his sandwich!!

A bonafide nutcase has a right to exist, but NO RIGHT TO SPEAK of Patti LuPone. Not ever.

We won't have it or allow it.

Stick to your talentless and meaningless obsessions, some already noted. There are many more I can list and authenticate.......

42 year old WOMAN - ha- not a chance. We KNOW who you, what you are and how old you are.

UNHINGED.

by Anonymousreply 414April 1, 2022 3:44 AM

This John Mulaney troll is the one unhinged. He posted over 1,000 times about that wall eyed white boy. [R413] is also the Tori Amos Freak and Life Goes ON nocturnal emission troll, Dog face Gia Garageme - Supermodels of the 70s expert AND lover of some ratty ass wig wearing ugly rocker chick who can't sing. Don't forget the endless days and nights of Jussie Smollett and his sandwich!!

A bonafide nutcase has a right to exist, but NO RIGHT TO SPEAK of Patti LuPone. Not ever.

We won't have it or allow it.

Stick to your talentless and meaningless obsessions, some already noted. There are many more I can list and authenticate.......

42 year old WOMAN - ha- not a chance. We KNOW who you, what you are and how old you are.

UNHINGED.

What is the matter with you?! And I AM 42 year old woman whether you believe it or not. I wouldn't lie about who I am and you know NOTHING about me. I am not UNHINGED unlike you. I don't even know how to respond to you! What makes Patti so special that we can't talk about her? She's not God or anything. And by the way, Patti wasn't stuck with Bill. She could have said no and turned down the role, but she didn't! It was her choice! So stop making her out to be some kind of saint and don't tell me who I can or can't talk about! Get a life, seriously! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 415April 1, 2022 3:58 AM

Nurse! The AWF Troll is out!

by Anonymousreply 416April 1, 2022 1:07 PM

[quote]She's not God or anything.

Patti is LOVE.❤

by Anonymousreply 417April 1, 2022 1:16 PM

Are you having some sort of episode?

by Anonymousreply 418April 1, 2022 1:17 PM

I simply FF and block all of you raving maniacs. I don't care how old you are or how loose a pussy you have. You're annoying and pointless, and you belong in the bin!

by Anonymousreply 419April 1, 2022 1:19 PM

I'm done posting here. I thought it would be fun and interesting but it's become a nightmare. I'm bring called names and bring told I'm not who I say I am all because I gave my opinion. I don't need this. Ciao.

by Anonymousreply 420April 1, 2022 2:15 PM

It's regretful when a thread about one of the indisputable musical theatre GREATS of all time degrades into a discussion about a homely old man who once played her husband on some forgotten TV show. LuPone is allowed to dislike him. Patti LuPone is a GOD of the theatre. And that is how she will always be remembered. Bill Schmuckovivitch is a homely old man. Apparently dislike by everyone. He was not invited to the cookout or the reunion.

by Anonymousreply 421April 2, 2022 3:50 AM

Kiss Patti 's feet while your down on your knees worshipping her. She probably expects it since she thinks she's better than everyone and can talk shit and treat people like shit because she trained at Juilliard. Bill started out in theater himself and had great teachers and experience while there. He may not have trained with Julliard but he has experience in theater before movies and TV and he doesn't go around trashing other people just because he can. Disliking someone and trashing them are two completely different things. But Patti is allowed to get away with it because she's Queen of the theater. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 422April 2, 2022 4:26 AM

You're defending Patti by calling SOMEONE ELSE homely?!

by Anonymousreply 423April 2, 2022 4:30 AM

You can't be the Queen of Theater without being box office.

by Anonymousreply 424April 2, 2022 4:30 AM

Oh, that multiple poster and facebook WOMAN has posted 3 times within 4 minutes! Just as I pointed out at R404. He's an insane obsessive nutjob that doesn't even have the sense to disguise his multiple posts from his identical personalities.

AndressC was a new one. So funny. What a mess is R424 and his other 200 Patti hating posts on this thread! He loves to use CAPS! Everyone on Datalounge knows who this low IQ troll is. We pray jesus will bring healing to his troubled mind this night.

Patti is LOVE.❤

by Anonymousreply 425April 2, 2022 4:40 AM

R420 I'm the biggest Patti LuPone fan there is. Look at my name!

You just have to ignore it. I'll never forget- I was hosting a Broadway showtunes show on my college radio station in Boston in 1988. Over Christmas break, I saw Patti in Anything Goes. For me, it was the single greatest musical theater performance, or even just stage performance, I'd ever seen. My heart was pounding out of my chest when she did Anything Goes, and Glow Gabriel Blow, and You're the Top. I knew the show was a smash hit, and I just kinda assumed everyone would agree with me.

A few weeks later, I went back to my radio show and raved about Patti. My guest that week was a guy named Fred Barton, who had a one man show called Miss Gulch Returns. I believe he was either a Harvard student, or had recently graduated. I told him how much I LOVED Patti. He said "I saw it. I'm not a fan of her's. I know New York likes her, but I don't."

I was legit shocked. Really. How could anyone who liked musicals dislike Patti? I soon found out that Fred was far from the only one. There is a contingent out there who just can't stand her. They'll take every opportunity to talk shit about her. And at first, it upset me. But as the years have gone on, I've simply realized that their opinion does absolutely NOTHING to hamper my love of her amazing talent. And there ARE plenty of us that DO love her. I see her perform whenever I can, and she STILL thrills me, even after 34 years since I first saw Anything Goes.

For the people who get excessively nasty, or call YOU names- trust me, it says much about about them than it says about you or Patti. Just ignore it.

VIVA LA LUPONE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426April 2, 2022 4:42 AM

[Quote] Everyone on Datalounge knows who this low IQ troll is. We pray jesus will bring healing to his troubled mind this night.

This is the Data Lounger. We don't pray here.

by Anonymousreply 427April 2, 2022 4:46 AM

This thread has made me loathe Patti. She is so OVAH.

by Anonymousreply 428April 2, 2022 4:50 AM

We are not all 80 year old ancient white bathhouse fags, R427. Some of us are evolved and integrated spirits AND handsome young men. We pray away what we can't get rid of with a lawsuit. You are a demon. A MONSTER. A dirty diaper. A piece of OLD white filth R427. May Jesus visit healing to your diseased mind and body, tonight. 🙏🏾 This we pray.

by Anonymousreply 429April 2, 2022 4:52 AM

White what?

by Anonymousreply 430April 2, 2022 4:54 AM

Patti is LOVE.❤

by Anonymousreply 431April 2, 2022 4:59 AM

Not everyone has to be a fan of Patti LuPone, but there IS a hateful poster on this thread responsible for 200 of the negative, hateful posts against her. Yeah, we do know who YOU are.

F&F him, every chance you get.

by Anonymousreply 432April 2, 2022 5:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!