Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV Shows You Would Create

One of the major networks calls you and asks you to pitch them a tv show. What would it be.

Jason Alexander and Meghan Mullally leave city life and decide to run a seaside resort in South Carolina. Hilarity ensues when they are caught in the middle between the local townspeople and their tourist guests. Margo Martindale co-stars as the resort’s head of staff and Rob Lowe stars as the town’s mayor.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2024 5:58 AM

Murder, She Framed:

Mass-murderer, Jessica Fletcher is now on death row, and takes us back to Season 1 to show us how she committed each murder and got away with framing someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2022 7:33 PM

OP, you're just recycling the premise of "Newhart".

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote] OP, you're just recycling the premise of "Newhart".

Nobody remembers that show.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2022 7:42 PM

Well in that case:

Jason Alexander is a rumba band leader. Megan Mullally is his wacky wife who is always trying to get in his show. Margo Martindale co-stars as their landlady and Megan's best friend/co-conspirator in her shenanigans. Rob Lowe stars as Margo's much younger husband.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2022 7:49 PM

Jason Alexander and Meghan Mullally leave rural life and decide to run a gay chat site called DataLounge. Hilarity ensues when they are caught in the middle between New Yorkers and the people who post on their site. Margo Martindale co-stars as Muriel the head of staff and Rob Lowe stars as the major investor wanting more people to pay $1.99.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2022 8:01 PM

Bette Midler and Peter Boyle in Here Comes the Mertzes.

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2022 8:04 PM

“For Whom the Pillow is Bitten”. The grammatically correct gay soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2022 8:13 PM

Former boy-band member gets out of rehab, money stolen by manager, so he starts a pool cleaning service. He finds a body floating in a pool, and investigates. A new crime every week, and he’s always in a bathing suit.

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2022 8:35 PM

Jason Alexander and Megan Mullally are a husband and wife detective duo at the old folks home.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2024 7:39 PM

As hungry as Americans seem to be for procedurals, it's surprising that they never tried to revive Perry Mason. I know about the Robert Downey Jr. thing, but I mean the original case-of-the-week lawyer solving murders show. Seems like it would be a pretty sure thing.

Not sure how the Erle Stanley Gardner estate would feel about this, but in my revival Perry would still be the cool, all-business legal genius he always was, but in honor of Raymond Burr, he would be gay. But he would never have any romantic story lines; just like in the original, he'd be married to his work. Della would be the loyal assistant, but more of a badass with her own romances and outside interests. The unspoken romantic devotion that Burr's version had with Della would be transferred to Paul Drake. Don't know who I'd cast for Perry, but he should be tall and broad-shouldered like Burr. The role of Gertie the receptionist would need to be a great comic actor like Jennifer Coolidge or Cole Escola.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2024 8:24 PM

Jason Alexander and Megan Mullally are a married couple of serial killers living in the suburbs. Margo Martindale is the federal agent neighbor who suspects something is off about them. Rob Lowe is the wacky neighbor. Hilarity ensues when Margo comes for dinner and Jason and Megan have to hide the bodies.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2024 10:25 PM

[quote]As hungry as Americans seem to be for procedurals, it's surprising that they never tried to revive Perry Mason.

Who wants to tell him?

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2024 10:26 PM

Sorry, R10, I jumped the gun before reading your second sentence!

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 10:28 PM

After thoroughly enjoying every second of American Gods, I'd like to see a very high-budget HBO miniseries adaptation of Neverwhere. Ideally helmed by Bryan Fuller. Ian McShane would need to be involved.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 10:36 PM

A show about Olivia Benson's life outside the police station. She lives in an apartment in Queens with her roommate, Margo Martindale. Margo plays an old Broadway actress who won a Tony in 1978 and then struggled to get work because of her abrasive and erratic personality. She refuses to give up and believes she's only one job away from mounting a comeback. She supplements her income with shoplifting and Olivia helps her fence the goods. There's a lot of full-frontal nudity and profanity in this show.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2024 10:42 PM

I don't have ideas for the premise of the shows but I think it would be amusing or interesting to see the following actors together:

Maureen McCormick and Christine Taylor as sisters.

Laurie Metcalf and Eve Plumb as sisters, I think they resemble now in Eve's older years.

Bebe Neuwirth and Alicia Witt as mother and daughter. Someone mentioned this on the Alicia Witt thread and it was a great idea!

Jenna Fischer, Isla Fisher and Amy Adams as sisters.

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2024 10:49 PM

I'd pitch a faithful miniseries adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin's first three A Wizard of Earthsea books. Sparrowhawk (and the residents of his village) would be people of color, the stories would be melancholy rather than thrilling Hollywood chosen one pablum, and it would be shot on actual island locations rather than against greenscreens.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2024 2:10 AM

I’d definitely want something heartwarming. Like TV cast reunion shows done on a weekly basis.

Either that or “Assterpiece Theatre”: Each week, a scene from a classic, but with an all-nude male cast. This week, the Ibsen classic “A Doll’s House” reimagined without that pesky Nora.

Either idea could work.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2024 4:19 AM

Prima Donnas: Judy Kaye and Christine Baranski star as rival musical theatre divas who, though past their prime, still compete for similar roles. Drama and hilarity ensues when Christine is cast as Judy’s alternate in a lavish revival of Mame.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2024 4:40 AM

OP your show seems so mid aughts. I’d watch it tho.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2024 5:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!