Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tevin Campbell has come out

His Twitter page proudly displays the Pride flag.

Good for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2022 9:39 PM

Didn't he come out years ago?

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2022 4:41 AM

Come out of what, Dorothy?

A coma, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2022 4:43 AM

Prince turned him out years ago... No news there.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2022 5:36 AM

It was rumored on Prince message boards that when filming a video with Prince he was caught behind a curtain jerking off to Prince.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2022 5:41 AM

R1

Various people have been "outing" Tevin Campbell ever since his first album. He's steadfastly denied being gay, a sex worker, etc... and even threatened legal action in past against those who made such statements.

Much like Luther Vandross and far too many other black male recording artists or performers going back to Johnny Mathis, Kevin Campbell has felt this need to "maintain", when everyone else was like "ghurl, whatever...".

TC was a fine as fuck young twink of color back in his day. You wonder who got to tap that ass....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2022 6:19 AM

Is this another relation to Neve?

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2022 6:24 AM

R5 OMG

I fucking love this song so much. I haven’t heard it in years.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2022 6:41 AM

Didn’t Jaguar Wright say he was hooking in LA?

Jaguar is definitely bipolar and out of her mind but there’s probably some truth underneath all of her crazy stories.

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2022 6:42 AM

Recent pic? Is that too much to ask, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2022 6:45 AM

I don't think anyone could believe he was straight after he caught soliciting sex from a male prostitute back in the late 90s. It's even on his Wikipedia page.

by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2022 6:47 AM

He got George Michael'd

[quote] In July 1999, Campbell was arrested after soliciting a lewd act from an undercover police officer during a sting operation in Van Nuys, California. The sting operation was reportedly conducted in an Elementary School area where there had been numerous complaints from the public about cruising and solicitation. According to police reports, Campbell was also in possession of a small amount of marijuana at the time of his arrest.[13]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2022 6:48 AM

I for one am shocked, shocked I tell you. I can't tell you how many straight men I've heard get arrested for sex acts in public bathrooms. It's a modern day witch hunt.

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2022 6:49 AM

Is this that Black kid who got murdered by police and they started riots?

by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2022 6:50 AM

He openly spoke on his sexuality many years ago during an interview with Sister 2 Sister. He revealed that he was a “try-sexual.”

He says:

“I’m not gay, but there’s a lot of different things that I do like, sexually. Being in the business, you are introduced to a lot of different things, I’m not gay, but I’m a freak and I think a lot of people know what a freak is.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2022 6:55 AM

He’s been out for ages. He has never seemed comfortable with it though. I wish him peace, and that he stops torturing himself.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2022 7:03 AM

R&B singer Tevin Campbell was ordered to attend Narcotics Anonymous meetings and an AIDS awareness class after pleading no contest to soliciting a lewd act from an undercover policeman, according to the Associated Press.

Campbell, 22, was also fined $1,080 Monday for the misdemeanor conviction stemming from his July 8 arrest. He was ordered to return to court February 7 with proof that he has completed the drug rehabilitation and AIDS education requirements of his sentence. The singer was arrested in a police sting outside of Van Nuys Elementary School in Los Angeles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2022 7:39 AM

quote:

Tevin’s words and his refusal to label his sexual preferences put him back in the spotlight but not in a good way.

A few years later, in an interview with iMissTheOldSchool, he was asked the same question once again: “are you gay?”

Campbell was clear and concise when he said:

“That’s nobody’s business. If someone is interested in me and they wanna be my friend or whatever, then we can talk. It’s nobody’s business what I like to do behind closed doors, just because I am a celebrity.”

/quote

by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2022 7:41 AM

Lessons from above two preceding posts....

First hasn't Mr. Campbell never heard that old saying about not soiling where you eat? Soliciting for male sex near an elementry school was bad enough, but in one's own neck of woods? And with small amount of pot and a pipe?

Strike two comes from R17... Tevin Campbell's defensive responses tells people everything they need to know. More so in light of his past history including that male solicitation arrest.

In CA pleading "no contest" isn't that much different than "guilty". So TC does have a rap sheet listing this conviction. If he was so worried about is "celebrity" status should have ponied up for a good lawyer or something, at least get things down to an offense such as disorderly conduct.

As for TC seemingly "not happy" with being gay; one suspects there might be a bit of Luther Vandross going on. That is for various reasons Tevin Campbell cannot be and is comfortable with himself

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2022 7:51 AM

Love his version of O Holy Night from A Very Special Christmas 2. The way he holds that note at the end.

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2022 9:09 AM

TC's other big hit from debut album.

Tevin Campbell had some of the biggest names working with/behind him (Baby Face, Quincy Jones, etc....), plus he can sing his behind off. Thus many do wonder why he didn't gain more traction and become a bigger "star" as it were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2022 12:02 PM

New Jack Swing and R&B gave way to Grunge and The Lilith Fair crowd.

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2022 12:46 PM

Tevin Campbell, who hasn't had a hit in 40 years? THAT, Tevin Campbell?

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2022 1:08 PM

I loved her on [italic]Martin[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2022 1:17 PM

R22

Well Tevin Campbell hasn't released an album since 1999 IIRC, so what would anyone expect?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2022 1:17 PM

Upcoming concert dates...

IMHO Tevin Campbell has sort of same issues as other R&B singers, that genre just isn't what it once was in terms of popularity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2022 1:20 PM

Well, R&B that integrates with hip hop does fine. You have to be current in sound and style

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2022 5:15 PM

R&B artists that are TikTok savvy do well

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2022 5:16 PM

R22, he has definitely had hits since 1982. Are you bad at math?

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2022 5:18 PM

The straights hate him and, as evidenced by this thread, the gays hate him too.

I hope that Tevin has found happiness regardless.

by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2022 5:28 PM

He was six in 1982

by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Tevin? lol

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2022 5:32 PM

"Tevin" is like "Blaine, Kendall, Jussey". You just knew he would be gay.

by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2022 1:22 PM

[quote] he has definitely had hits since 1982. Are you bad at math?

Are you bad at rounding?

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2022 1:24 PM

I feel bad for Tevin. He was always very uncomfortable with his sexuality, but when you are signed to a record contract as a child and worked to the bone singing songs about loving young girls and women (who made up about 85% of his fanbase), it's a different kind of pressure that none of us will ever know. On top of that the black church community hasn't always been a best friend to the gays, and a lot of these industry kids are molested and passed around. DL can be very cynical about closeted men and celebrities, but I can't imagine coming out either in his position.

He was an incredible vocalist and stage presence. It's a shame he was tossed aside as soon as other younger artists came through in the late 90s, and his writers and producers jumped ship to the Ushers and Kriss Krosses and Immatures and whoever else. He should have had at least one good quality neo soul album before fading into obscurity and controversy. Like Luther, I think hiding his personal life affected other aspects too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 11, 2022 5:22 PM

[quote] and a lot of these industry kids are molested

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 35March 11, 2022 5:32 PM

r34 I dont feel bad for him, he's a 45 year old man living his best life!

Tevin is extremely talented often overlooked in the history of great male singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2022 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!