Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This poor woman deserves a thread.

Let's not forget the everyday citizens losing their lives to help others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 11, 2022 7:50 PM

šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜¢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2022 12:45 AM

Alexandra too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2022 12:47 AM

Yes, R2, let's post all the stories we can. Thank you for letting us know about Alexandra.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2022 12:51 AM

I am drowning in posts about animals in Ukraine including a German shepherd guarding his owner's dead body. I have had to stay off social media for the most part the past few days. It kills your soul.

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2022 12:53 AM

I believe I'm newly subscribed to the Patreon for the organization she volunteered for. They had an update post about her. At least two others died; they were going in a group.

Please consider giving in her memory by subscribing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2022 12:56 AM

Pokoj joj duŔi.

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2022 1:08 AM

I will say, I have never seen so many people not abandoning their animals as they flee a war zone as has been reported with Ukraine. They also have special accommodations set up in Poland for the pets, all medical care provided. The people who are waiting at the borders with signs saying how many people they can house also are saying what pets they can take (with the people).

Meanwhile, fucking Americans (especially the south) abandon their animals with... abandon.

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2022 1:08 AM

How to give in her memory.

I'll post the Patreons of the other two I joined, both mentored in this article. Subscribing is how foreigners can easily give.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2022 1:14 AM

Here's the Patreon of Happy Paw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2022 1:15 AM

Here's the Patreon of Shelter Ugolyok

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2022 1:15 AM

Here's UAnimals. As in r5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2022 1:16 AM

R7 The logistics for fleeing as a family of refugees is dangerous and unknown. Trying to include your beloved dog or cat makes it all that much more difficult, especially if you are taking a train, bus or plain that will not allow pets. As heartbreaking as it may sound, many feel they don't have much of a choice but to leave their pets behind.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2022 1:18 AM

No r12, I wasn't judging (much) people who feel they can't bring their pets. That's what's extraordinary about Ukraine right now, they're bringing their pets against all odds.

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2022 1:29 AM

What's amazing to me is that a large proportion of them don't have carriers, especially for cats.

This Romanian Animal Shelter is also taking Ukrainian animals:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2022 1:33 AM

This is a great thread. Thank you OP.

by Anonymousreply 15March 6, 2022 1:37 AM

Does anyone know of a reputable animal organization in Ukraine? I've been wanting to donate money, but am afraid of sending it to imposters.

by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2022 1:39 AM

both *mentioned in this article

by Anonymousreply 17March 6, 2022 1:40 AM

No she doesn't. Anyone who places the lives of pets/animals over the lives of helping humans is trash.

by Anonymousreply 18March 6, 2022 1:45 AM

That tweet has digits relating to Sam Heughan's birthday! I keep seeing the same digits as my throuple with Henry Cavill and Sam Heughan manifests in real-time! Even the gas prices for premium and unleaded were close in numbers to Henry and Sam's respective birthdays!

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote]On Tuesday, she wrote about helping a kindergarten in Brovary, just outside Kyiv, where 40 children were without food and diapers, as well as bringing aid to a military hospital and bringing food for volunteer dogs.

She helped children, animals, and the Ukrainian military, you're the trash, R18.

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2022 1:50 AM

r16, I keep seeing these names pop up in articles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2022 1:52 AM

More organizations here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2022 2:32 AM

Into on what's happening, animals left behind, and how to help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2022 2:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2022 2:35 AM

There is a cat cafe in Lviv that is determined to remain open so that the animals are cared for and the people have a place to go to feel good. Catcafe Lviv. I started following them on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 25March 6, 2022 2:40 AM

A man is staying for the animals at his farm sanctuary. Lots of info about how to help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 6, 2022 2:41 AM

Not to detract from what's going on, but having been through experiencing war as a witness through the media, I have noticed I slip into numb mode the instant I hear it's started. It doesn't make what I read any easier, it just keeps me from having heart attacks. Modern living doesn't exactly come wrapped in a pretty ribbon.

I don't have any interest in the Phds lecturing the world that this is 'The West's Fault.' Any time any upheaval has occured since 1973 it's always 'The West's Fault.' BASTA.

The US was fucking crazy ass to prolong the Vietnam thing; I mean sending young bright men to certain death. If Nixon did anything he got us out.

It is mob mentality and blame one faceless entity. Yes, many imbeciles have grown into Designer Dumbing Down. But no matter how much or how prettily one dumbs down, it doesn't change the fact. You can't punch and delete war like it's an app on your phone.

by Anonymousreply 27March 6, 2022 2:52 AM

Here's a donation link for the Catcafe Lviv:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 6, 2022 4:03 PM

Regarding the cat cafe, not all your money will do to the animals. They're giving half to the military. Factor that in how you will. It's on their IG.

by Anonymousreply 29March 6, 2022 5:03 PM

Here's the statement. Half won't go to the animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 6, 2022 5:05 PM

Thanks, R30! I couldn't find anything to link to for them except Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2022 8:33 PM

I mean R28. You, too, though, 30.

by Anonymousreply 32March 6, 2022 8:34 PM

NY Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2022 10:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 6, 2022 10:54 PM

TMZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 6, 2022 10:55 PM

Wow, seemed like a very lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 36March 6, 2022 10:56 PM

CBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2022 11:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2022 11:02 PM

Daily News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2022 11:09 PM

[quote]Here's a donation link for the Cat cafe Lviv

Cats? No Jacks, no! You used to wear those, Jacks!

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2022 11:16 PM

Thanks you all for the information. To the person above judging those who are devoted to animal welfare, It speaks highly of the Ukraine peoplesā€™ character, decency and compassion. I will help as well.

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2022 11:26 PM

This is the Polish charity Dioz at R24. This same link is at the end of the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2022 11:33 PM

This is the Konrad from R24. He's cute. Help him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2022 11:44 PM

This is the Polish rescue at R24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2022 11:45 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, fucking Americans (especially the south) abandon their animals with... abandon.

Oh stop. People wouldn't evacuate their homes in Louisiana during Katrina because they did not want to leave their animals.

by Anonymousreply 45March 7, 2022 12:21 AM

How you can help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 7, 2022 5:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 7, 2022 5:30 AM

Animals at the Kyiv Zoo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 7, 2022 5:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 7, 2022 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 7, 2022 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 7, 2022 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 7, 2022 5:35 AM

A biosphere reserve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 7, 2022 5:42 AM

The wild beauty of Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 7, 2022 5:46 AM

Network for Animals. Founded by the one of the founders of the International Fund for Animal Welfare. Please consider helping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2022 5:54 AM

I read that the Zoo staff have moved to the Zoo and keepers are spending the night with an older elephant who is stressed.

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2022 6:02 AM

R56 yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2022 6:06 AM

Can someone post a link to a donation page for the org at R24? I read the DM article but they're linking to Facebook and I don't have an account/can't login to see it. I want to send them some money. How fucking heartbreaking this all is. Thank you everyone for all the links, I am glad to be able to help in a real albeit small way.

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2022 7:45 AM

It seems some people won't take much interest unless there is an animal factor.

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2022 8:48 AM

R58 this is their Instagram (@diozpl). There's an email link. I would email them. I believe they have a PayPal, but I'm not sure if it's the email on their Instagram or the one on their Facebook, which is a Gmail address, centrum.adopcyjne@...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2022 1:12 PM

I prefer animals over R18.

by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2022 1:15 PM

Passive-aggressive R59, we have huge global organizations helping the people. There's no UNICEF for animals. Tiny privately funded groups are helping the animals. So what. It harms no one and gets people engaged who might not otherwise care enough to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 62March 7, 2022 1:16 PM

Just a heads-up: International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) gave Jose Andres's World Central Kitchen money that was presumably originally donated to help animals. That's great, but if you already gave to organizations like World Central Kitchen, helping first responders in Ukraine and Poland and the like, your money directed to IFAW might be directed to World Central Kitchen and maybe similar organizations moving forward, rather than to help animals.

I'm donating money I've set aside to help animals in the crisis to others, like Network for Animals at R55. I already gave to UNICEF.

IFAW is getting plenty of publicity right now for their great work in this crisis, so I'm sure the donations are pouring in anyway; they don't need my money. Maybe some of you will give to IFAW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 7, 2022 2:14 PM

[bold]Warning GRAPHIC[/bold]

Here's vid of the aftermath of a Ukrainian father and son getting stopped by Russians and murdered fleeing with their dogs - 2 of the 3 dogs are killed as well. There's a graphic view of one of the dead dogs in the vid so beware.

It looks like the dead men have been moved to the ditch. The lone alive dog is huddled, laying on a body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2022 2:20 PM

[bold]Warning: GRAPHIC[/bold]

This is vid from the above R64 as it happened. The son video'd it. It's very disturbing, as you can hear one dog screaming after it's been shot, then the son screaming as the father is shot, then he has to hide + drag his dying/father out of the street. I'm not sure if the son made it out alive. Seems like he was shot and finally bled out... tho that's just my interpretation.

Translation of the tweet: "In the Kiev region, Russian invaders killed a father in front of his son. Ivankov region."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2022 2:26 PM

Remember, Ukraine armed with guns anyone with a passport who wanted one. A lot of bad people (criminal types) might have guns now, as well. Not just the Russians. So the dangers are even greater than just directly from the invaders.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2022 2:29 PM

Four Paws (UK) is reputable (Google them) and it's helping in Ukraine.

Ukraine updates on their site's front page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2022 2:33 PM

Apologies, Four Paws is based in Austria, but has offices all over.

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2022 2:34 PM

Many of the animal charity organizations are helping refugees care for their animals, too.

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2022 2:44 PM

Animal-friendly refugee housing spreadsheet. People who are opening their homes to refugees with animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2022 2:51 PM

Sava's Safe Haven, mentioned in the Euronews article above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2022 3:27 PM

It speaks well of those people, r59. Just as it speaks well of a nation that cares for its pets and wildlifeā€¦

by Anonymousreply 72March 7, 2022 3:37 PM

Friend Shelter, Ukraine. They have a GoFundMe. They're mentioned in that Plant Based News article above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 7, 2022 4:13 PM

Andrea Cisternino's farm sanctuary in Ukraine, mentioned in the Plant Based News article above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2022 4:22 PM

R4/rescue-chick, definitely stay away. You can't help animals if your mental health isn't doing well; you have to care for yourself to help others. xo

by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2022 4:25 PM

GoFundMe for Friend Shelter, Ukraine. Mentioned at R73.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2022 4:27 PM

Keep posting these stories and bumping these threads. It's important to counter the pro-russian propaganda here.

by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote]The US was fucking crazy ass to prolong the Vietnam thing; I mean sending young bright men to certain death. If Nixon did anything he got us out.

Nixon thwarted the Paris Peace talks which extended the war for years and cost thousands of lives. He was an evil, corrupt mother fucker.

by Anonymousreply 78March 7, 2022 4:40 PM

Today they showed a horrible clip of a whole family getting slaughtered while walking down the street: the parents, two little kids... and a cat carrier. Don't know if the cat made it.

by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2022 4:54 PM

Inside Edition

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2022 4:58 PM

UAnimals looks like a top animal charity in Ukraine. It's mentioned in all the "how to help" pieces. I signed up for their Patreon. Their IG is interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 7, 2022 5:45 PM

I just donated to one of the agencies listed in the article in Response 21 (Sirius - located outside of Kviv). It was fairly easy to do via PayPal when you link to the organization's website.

by Anonymousreply 82March 7, 2022 5:58 PM

R82, could you show the PayPal page? I only found Google Pay, when you check out from here. TIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 7, 2022 6:06 PM

R82, I found it. Anyone who wants to pay Sirius rescue via PayPal, it's here (Sirius rescue). It says:

PayPal

Donation links:

DONATE USD

You just click on DONATE USD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2022 6:08 PM

Thank you R60, I have an IG account so I'll follow them and contact them (or follow their donate link) that way. Getting an article in the Daily Mail will hopefully be very good for them (and their donations).

The DM has a few animal lovers on staff (or they just know their readers are animal lovers and use animal lover content to bolster slow news days...although we have had none of those recently) and there is one amazing shelter in Crete, Greece that, off the back of a single DM article a few years ago, has managed to build itself into what is in my opinion probably one of if not the best shelter on earth.

Recommend no one watches the posted videos, they are awful. I watched a NYT video yesterday, there was a warning but for some reason because it was the NYT I just didn't think it would be too bad and it really, really was. I won't give details but it showed the visuals and sounds of a family and their pet dying. I can't stop thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2022 6:22 PM

I'm also giving to Warriors of Wildlife Ukraine. They rescue bears and lions, among other animals, in Ukraine (used for entertainment, etc.) and they have a wildlife refuge in South Africa, and a sanctuary for bears in Ukraine (since they're native to Ukraine). Their FB is active, and they have a site. This is their FB. I'll link to the donation page after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 7, 2022 7:01 PM

Warriors of Wildlife's IG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 7, 2022 7:01 PM

Warriors of Wildlife's donation page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 7, 2022 7:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 7, 2022 7:10 PM

There was a photo on Nicolle Wallace's of some people hiding in basements because of the bombing. There was an old guy there with his gray tabby cat asleep on his chest.

by Anonymousreply 90March 7, 2022 10:35 PM

Network for Animals is working in Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 8, 2022 6:58 AM

Ukraine's rescued bears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 8, 2022 7:02 AM

Four Paws, mentioned above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 8, 2022 7:05 AM

[quote] I will say, I have never seen so many people not abandoning their animals as they flee a war zone as has been reported with Ukraine. They also have special accommodations set up in Poland for the pets, all medical care provided. The people who are waiting at the borders with signs saying how many people they can house also are saying what pets they can take (with the people).

Indian and African Twitter got really mad that Ukrainian refugees brought their house pets to Poland.

by Anonymousreply 94March 8, 2022 7:08 AM

Thank you, OP, for bringing her story to our attention.

by Anonymousreply 95March 8, 2022 7:11 AM

We are happy to take all cats and dogs- no matter age, type, or sex. They will have warm place to stay and will be fed to, I mean fed by many people. Trust that your pets will be treated with seasonings, er I mean sincere love.

My English not as well as I want it to be.

by Anonymousreply 96March 8, 2022 7:15 AM

R94, Indians in Ukraine were no different re their animals. Thankfully India let them evacuate to India with their animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 8, 2022 7:20 AM

R97

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 8, 2022 7:21 AM

R97

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 8, 2022 7:22 AM

UAnimals, mentioned in numerous articles, has a great Patreon. It updates at least once a day. Detailed updates with photos. Please consider joining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 8, 2022 2:02 PM

Russia-Ukraine war deals blow to wildlife sanctuary owner's plans to bring brown bears to Ireland

Exclusive: Killian McLaughlin runs the Wild Ireland animal retreat in Donegal

The war has dealt a blow to a wildlife sanctuary owner here who was planning to rescue two caged brown bears from Russia and bring them 5,000km to Ireland.

Killian McLaughlin, dubbed the Bearman of Buncrana, runs the Wild Ireland animal retreat in Donegal and he has been left frustrated by the Covid-19 pandemic and the invasion.

The Donegal-based animal retreat is a partner of The Bears In Mind rescue charity and they feared for the animalsā€™ safety in Dagestan early last year and contacted him.

European brown bears Buu and Tiopa were trapped in ā€˜horrendousā€™ 3m x 3m cages at a dog pound.

Killian, who stressed their health is fading due to the war, said: ā€œWe were sending money out to to feed them, and give them food but now thereā€™s no way of sending money there.

ā€œOne of the bears, Buu, canā€™t see the outside, he canā€™t see the sunlight and Tiopa canā€™t get out of the sunlight, he doesnā€™t have a roof over him and heā€™s stuck outside in a cage with rusty iron bars.ā€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 8, 2022 4:26 PM

To donate to the charity at R101.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 8, 2022 4:29 PM

The Russians are committing genocide.

by Anonymousreply 103March 8, 2022 4:31 PM

Putin has the blood of all these people on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 104March 8, 2022 4:42 PM

The husband of the woman murdered in the street along with their two kids, identified his family. He said he hadn't accompanied them because one of their dogs had run away and he was trying to get them all together to leave with them.

by Anonymousreply 105March 8, 2022 5:01 PM

You guys remind me of my late Grandma. She donated to several animal rights charities each month, even as she lived on her modest pension income, in her small one bedroom apartment. She spent her last years watching the Animal Network for much of the day, happy as can be. Now back on topic - wow, war is fucking brutal. šŸ’”

by Anonymousreply 106March 8, 2022 6:33 PM

Discusses IFAW's work in Ukraine right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 8, 2022 7:16 PM

White Rock Bear Sanctuary outside Kiev.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 8, 2022 9:05 PM

Fucking hell can they please stop this war? This kills me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 9, 2022 4:58 AM

She should have just released the animals and gone to safety. The strong would have survived the rest could be food for the Russians or whatever but those animals weren't worth her life. If it had been a bunch of orphans left behind i could understand but some unwanted cats and dogs? Naw. She could have found thousands of cats and dogs to dote over all over the world, no use staying in a war zone for them.

by Anonymousreply 110March 9, 2022 5:07 AM

r105 I bet he regrets that foolish decision. Leave me family alone to chase after the family dog. Yeah, real smart move. These people are nuts!

by Anonymousreply 111March 9, 2022 5:08 AM

Humane Society International

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 9, 2022 5:09 AM

Treehugger article featuring HSI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 9, 2022 5:10 AM

UAnimals at R100 is Humane Society International's local partner. It says so here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 9, 2022 6:45 AM

A video from UAnimals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 9, 2022 6:50 AM

Is there anything distressing in that video R115? I've been watching too many videos without reading warnings this past couple of weeks and have already seen a few things i won't be able to forget.

by Anonymousreply 116March 9, 2022 7:43 AM

R115, no there's nothing distressing.

by Anonymousreply 117March 9, 2022 1:02 PM

Animal welfare groups are working to support the rescue and evacuation of pets from war-torn Ukraine and sending supplies to animal shelters put at risk amid Russiaā€™s invasion.

James Sawyer, UK director for the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), told the BBC the organization operates two animal shelters in Ukraine with over 1,100 dogs in their care and has provided them with food and supplies.

ā€œThe devastation caused by some of these rocket attacks, that open environment full of glass, concrete and metal is dangerous to people but also to animals,ā€ Sawyer said.

He said one of the shelters was shelled during a Russian attack, killing one animal. Staff members are frightened to light fires, he said, fearing it may draw attention to the shelters.

ā€œLocal supplies are running out,ā€ he said of the dire situation.

The German branch of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it is currently coordinating a delivery of nearly 20 tons of companion animal food as well as blankets to animal shelters in Ukraine. They are also offering vaccinations to animals.

The group said it is working with a partner organization in Romania who has crossed the border into Ukraine to rescue abandoned animals.

Many refugees have been forced to leave their furry friends behind at the border because of they do not meet the criteria imposed by the European Union that require pets be vaccinated, microchipped and have a rabies test.

Many countries, however, including Ukraineā€™s neighbors Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia have eased their restrictions, animal groups confirmed.

More than 1.4 million people have fled their homes in Ukraine since Russia launched its invasion, with many families forced to relocate to neighboring countries, bringing only what they can carry ā€“ some documents, photos and their beloved pets.

Kyiv native Ludmilla Nadzemovska had prepared to evacuate a month ago, buying traveling cages for her four cats as signs pointed towards an imminent Russian invasion. She fled to Hungary with her cats after she heard her neighbors had been killed by Russian forces.

ā€œI want to go backā€ she told The Associated Press, sitting in a camp in Tiszabecs, Hungary, just over the border. ā€œBut my priority is my family and the pets.ā€

Another refugee, Lena Nesterova, said she fled with her family after the first explosions rang out in Kyiv on the first day of the invasion, taking ā€œonly [my] daughter, dog, all the documents.ā€

ā€œWe left everything. We have no clothes, nothing,ā€ Nesterova said. ā€œAnd we donā€™t know what will be after.ā€

Her daughter, 18-year-old Margo, tightly held the family toy Chihuahua in the safety of a refugee camp in the border city of Siret, Romania.

House pets are not the only animals who suffer from the violence. Zoo animals are also threatened by air raids and shelling, including those at the Kyiv Zoo where heavy fighting was reported nearby last week.

The Kyiv Zoo is home to roughly 4,000, including elephants, camels and Ukraineā€™s only gorilla. The chance to evacuate the critters has already passed, zoo officials said.

ā€œItā€™s almost impossible to evacuate animals, because itā€™s impossible to provide appropriate veterinary service and transportation,ā€ Kyrylo Trantin, the zooā€™s chief, told EuroNews, adding that the zoo only has enough food supplies to feed the animals for a few more days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 9, 2022 3:02 PM

The mass exodus from Ukraine has created a crisis with the pets residents had to leave behind, but in the middle of Putin's brutal war, some Ukrainians have stepped up to save the animals.

Katya Kurletz is on the ground in Ukraine, leading the efforts to track down dogs in destroyed cities and transport them to safety in Poland and Romania ... and she joined us on "TMZ Live" Tuesday to tell us about her dangerous mission.

In the face of constant fear of encountering advancing Russian forces, Katya says she and others are doing everything they can to save Ukrainian pets from the rubble.

Katya tells us there are hundreds of dogs being evacuated ... and her group, Transform a Street Dog, still needs help transporting dogs and cats and finding them new homes.

It's pretty scary .... Katya tells us she saw a Russian missile destroy an entire block, but she couldn't let it derail her mission, because the blast left more pets in need of her help.

We've seen upwards of 1 1/2 million people flee war-torn Ukraine, including the elderly, and it's sad to think about the pets ... but there are some good folks out there looking out for the animals.

If you want to check out her effort, go to transformastreetdog .org.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 9, 2022 3:04 PM

Re R119, this is the GoFundMe of Transform a Street Dog. The link is in the original TMZ article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 9, 2022 3:05 PM

Update on the Kiev Zoo from the Washington Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 9, 2022 3:09 PM

Dog crisis in Ukraine as Putin forces hit at least two shelters - animals flee loud bangs

RUSSIAN missiles have hit at least two animal shelters as terrified pets struggle to cope amid the destruction.

By ROSIE JEMPSON

22:48, Tue, Mar 8, 2022 | UPDATED: 23:25, Tue, Mar 8, 2022

Over one million people have reportedly fled Ukraine since Russia began its invasion on February 24, many leaving behind beloved animals to brace the war zone.

Some brave volunteers have stayed behind to help support the animals still in the country facing the ongoing devastation by Putin's troops.

Aid groups across the world have banded together in support of the animals and people affected by the atrocities including The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) which supports three animal shelters in Ukraine.

The group is now desperately trying to support the some 1,100 dogs in Ukraine, with dwindling food supplies and little access to medical care.

Two Ukrainian animal shelters are said to have been hit by Russian missiles, killing many of the cats and dogs that were inside.

Some brave volunteers have stayed behind to help support the animals still in the country facing the ongoing devastation by Putin's troops.

Aid groups across the world have banded together in support of the animals and people affected by the atrocities including The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) which supports three animal shelters in Ukraine.

The group is now desperately trying to support the some 1,100 dogs in Ukraine, with dwindling food supplies and little access to medical care.

Two Ukrainian animal shelters are said to have been hit by Russian missiles, killing many of the cats and dogs that were inside.

The Holivka dog shelter, located in eastern Ukraine, was hit by a shell on February 27, killing one dog.

On March 1, another shelter, Pif, located in Donetsk, was attacked by Russian soldiers, with "many dogs and cats killed".

The IFAW said animal shelters are normally left alone during conflicts similar to this one - but they have not escaped the attack in Ukraine.

Kind-hearted volunteers for IFAW have already dispersed Ā£114,000 of emergency aid and are raising more to support the animals in dire need.

James Sawyer, the charity's regional director, told The Mirror: "The most helpful thing right now is to provide local groups with resources. We can't put boots on the ground, it's too dangerous."

"The shelters workers are currently still in place and we will provide resources so they can carry on caring for the dogs. The conditions are very difficult".

He described the staff's reluctance to cook hot food for the dogs as they fear fire could draw attention to the shelter, meaning they are even more desperate for dry food.

The staff are still able to purchase supplies locally but this will not be sufficient over a longer period, and the IFAW warn that "local supplies are running out".

The animal welfare group is working closely with authorities to provide aid packages but is finding it difficult to get information out of the country.

Last week, the IFAW reported that both its partner shelters in Ukraine had received some emergency funds that helped pay for pet food, veterinary supplies and wages for daily care staff.

A message from one shelter partner read: "Our dogs are very scared. Many do not leave [their dog houses]. [Indoor] dogs do not go outside. We are without rest and breaks at the shelter.

"It's very difficult for us right now. We are grateful to everyone. We really want peace. We are extremely tired mentally and physically.

"You are there and we feel it. THANKS! 10,000 times THANK YOU to everyone!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 9, 2022 3:12 PM

This is the organization in the TMZ piece. I gave them some money. Please consider giving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 9, 2022 3:13 PM

[quote] He said he hadn't accompanied them because one of their dogs had run away and he was trying to get them all together to leave with them.

So that dog saved his life in a way.

by Anonymousreply 124March 9, 2022 3:14 PM

SANDUSKY, Ohio (WTVG) - A local business is holding a fundraiser to help animals affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

DogGone Gorgeous Grooming Daycare and Boarding in Sandusky, Ohio is selling t-shirts to help the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), and its relief efforts overseas.

According to owners of the business, 100% of the profits from the t-shirt sales will go to IFAW relief efforts for Ukrainian animal shelters.

The shirts cost $24 and $12 from each sale will go toward the fundraising effort. Designs and colors for the shirts are interchangeable.

ā€œAnimals are our passion and we could not sit by and do nothing,ā€ the owners said in a statement to 13abc. ā€œCould not imagine having to choose to leave our beloved pets behind. Watching people and their dogs roaming the war stricken streets is heartbreaking.ā€

You can find a link to purchase the shirts here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 9, 2022 3:15 PM

Great article with lots of pictures, raising money for Project Red Shed, but showing everything that's going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 9, 2022 3:18 PM

Project Red Shed. They're helping all sorts of animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 9, 2022 3:19 PM

Features legitimate groups in Ukraine whom you can help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 9, 2022 3:20 PM

An organization around the world is continuing to raise money for the people of Ukraine, and local animal shelters have joined their efforts.

The mission however, is to help the animals in need.

The ANNA Shelter and Erie Humane Society are two local organizations that are doing everything in their power to send money to animal shelters over in Ukraine.

As Ukrainians flee their war-torn country for safety, many are forced to leave behind their four legged family members.

Those animals however, have not been forgotten.

Animal shelters here in Erie are doing everything they can to raise money through their website.

ā€œI just donā€™t know what to do. Obviously I knew bringing animals here was not an option. Praying for them was the only thing we thought we could do, and then really cool. Our administrator for our website is actually from Ukraine, so he started a fund,ā€ said Ruth Thompson, Director of ANNA Shelter.

The Erie Humane Society started their fundraiser on March 3. in an effort to help as many animals as possible in Ukraine.

The executive director said that they had surpassed their goal within six hours of launching the fundraiser.

ā€œSo we said why donā€™t we just give it a shot and do a minimum of a thousand dollars and see if that little bit can impact a shelter or two? Whether itā€™s food, or itā€™s to make sure these pets are getting vaccinated, or whatever they need,ā€ said Nicole Leone, Executive Director of Erie Humane Society.

At last check, the Erie Humane Society had almost doubled their goal while raising nearly $2,000.

Employees at both the ANNA Shelter and the Erie Humane Society are hoping to raise enough money to help those suffering animals in Ukraine.

ā€œIf there is anything it can help you with, you know Iā€™m praying that is where the money goes, and it is found to be a help somewhere,ā€ said Thompson.

The executive director of the Erie Humane Society said that she has already connected with two shelters in Ukraine. The money raised here in Erie will be sent to them through the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

ā€œI have reached out on some of their social platforms and I think right now they are trying to get through day to day and try to do the best they can for all of these pets,ā€ said Leone.

People we spoke with said that right now they are hoping to get as much monetary donations as possible and that there is no end date on the fundraiser.

For more information on how to support the Humane Society during this mission, click here. [link on original page]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 9, 2022 3:24 PM

Twin lions fleeing Ukraine war arrive at Belgian refuge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 9, 2022 3:25 PM

Pen Farthingā€™s Nowzad launches efforts to help Ukraine animals

Former marine wants to create a staging post in Poland for supplies that can be used to support and resupply animal shelters in war-torn Ukraine once humanitarian corridors open up.

Joshua Silverwood March 08, 2022

A UK charity led by a former marine has announced plans to set up a staging post in Poland to help get supplies to animal shelters across Ukraine.

Previously dedicated to caring for animals at its shelter in Afghanistan, Nowzadā€™s founder Paul ā€œPenā€ Farthing announced on social media that the group will be organising efforts to support and resupply animal shelters in Ukraine following the Russian invasion.

Taking to social media, Mr Farthing said Nowzad intended to create a staging post in eastern Poland, where supplies and equipment would be collected before onward distribution in Ukraine once a humanitarian corridor becomes available.

'Watched in horrorā€™

Mr Farthing said: ā€œJust like you, the team here at Nowzad have watched in horror at the events unfolding in Ukraine. We have no words to describe the brutality and needless suffering inflicted upon both the Ukrainian people and its animals.

ā€œAs Nowzad does not own or manage kennelling facilities in the UK or US, we will not be rescuing dogs and cats with the intention of bringing them to be re-homed in the west. With our own evacuation of Afghanistan only seven months ago, we are still busy rehoming dogs that were part of the Operation Ark rescue effort.

ā€œWe are extremely proud to see the rescue community has come together to support Ukrainians who are fleeing the country with their pets, and we commend those rescue groups for their efforts to provide relief and assistance at the border crossings.ā€

Support

Mr Farthing added: ā€œYour financial support will be used to give vital support to selected rescue shelters and organisations that we can reach once this horrific war has ended. With your generous support we will look to rebuild their destroyed or damaged shelters, and assist them with further programmes.ā€

In a video posted to Facebook, Mr Farthing elaborated that the resources gathered would be stockpiled at the staging point in Poland, with a view to getting them out to animal rescue staff in Ukraine.

These supplies would be distributed to designated shelters and rescue groups through humanitarian aid corridors once those become available to travel.

Corridors

Mr Farthing said: ā€œThe plan is to support these shelters, these rescues, these individuals in Ukraine as much as we possibly can, with the supplies they are going to need once the humanitarian corridors open up.

ā€œSo what we are going to work on over the next few weeks is to get these supplies over to the facility we have set up over in eastern Poland. We are going to build up a staging area and, as and when, move those supplies over to Ukraine.

ā€œIt will be going to selected rescues and shelters that we have found who desperately need our help. That will be things like medical supplies, food, maybe even building supplies to repair some of the damage caused by this conflict.ā€

The team is calling on people who may be interested in helping move supplies across Europe to the staging post to email info@ nowzad.com

Further information about the project is available online or to donate to Nowzad, visit its donation page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 9, 2022 3:27 PM

Update from Network for Animals, just posted. The bad and the good news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 9, 2022 3:45 PM

Lions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 10, 2022 4:04 AM

Transform a Street Dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 10, 2022 4:05 AM

Anyone who shits on people helping the helpless is a bad person.

by Anonymousreply 135March 10, 2022 5:01 AM

If anyone needs any info on organizations or how to help, let me know. I'll research and post.

by Anonymousreply 136March 10, 2022 2:15 PM

I'm giving $10 every day to several of these orgs, and have signed up for all the Patreons.

by Anonymousreply 137March 10, 2022 2:36 PM

Giving to Austria's Four Paws today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 10, 2022 2:37 PM

The latest from NFA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 10, 2022 3:22 PM

Watching the fleeing Ukrainians hanging onto their dogs and cats shows the kindness of the people. Such a tragedy. Somebody kill Putin.

by Anonymousreply 140March 10, 2022 4:56 PM

Same, R137. It's not much because I am fucking poor but it's a little. And I think with the publicity these orgs keep on getting hopefully a lot of little donations can add up.

And yes, seeing these photos of people clutching their pets as they flee is heartbreaking. So is imagining all the ones left behind.

by Anonymousreply 141March 10, 2022 9:27 PM

Is there a link for UAnimals (to their Patreon, ideally) in English? I want to send a link to my wealthy and animal-loving aunt and uncle but they'll be suspicious of a link in another language. Also was there a link to a list of "trustworthy" orgs (i.e. that mentions UAnimals) that itself is a known website? Again, I feel like my relatives will immediately assume it's some kind of scam I've fallen for if I don't send them to a site they recognize. I do think they'll be happy to fork over a fat monthly donation(s), though, so want to make it easy for them. (they are not on social media so FB an IG links etc. won't work).

Thank you to the person who keeps updating this thread.

by Anonymousreply 142March 10, 2022 9:32 PM

R142, the UAnimals Patreon is in both English and Ukrainian. The daily posts are very good and worth it for me. Posts show up in English first, followed by Ukrainian.

I'll find the second thing now. The reputable publication with a list of organizations. Thanks for getting them to give.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 10, 2022 9:49 PM

R142, Vogue has a list. UAnimals is in it. They describe it as an animal rights groupā€”will that turn them off? I'll find another just.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 10, 2022 9:52 PM

R142 this is UAnimals's IG. The posts are in Ukrainian first then English. They say animal rights in the description as well. They're much more about animal welfare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 10, 2022 9:54 PM

R142, this CBS local news story mentions UAnimals and how it's been better by the San Diego Humane Society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 10, 2022 9:56 PM

R142, this Mercury News article (Bay Area) mentions UAnimals.

by Anonymousreply 147March 10, 2022 9:57 PM

R142, UAnimals in a Travel and Leisure piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 10, 2022 9:59 PM

R142, Architectural Digest has a mention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 10, 2022 10:02 PM

R142, here's the link for R147.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 10, 2022 10:04 PM

R142, UAnimals is a partner of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). They're mentioned here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 10, 2022 10:06 PM

R142, will they know about The Dodo? Because this article has UAnimals and several others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 10, 2022 10:07 PM

Thank you very much for all the links, I will be sending them along. My aunt and uncle are huge animal lovers and I imagine will want to donate a generous amount. Thank you again.

by Anonymousreply 153March 11, 2022 3:25 AM

how it's been *vetted

by Anonymousreply 154March 11, 2022 2:21 PM

the goat has me sobbing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 11, 2022 4:48 PM

R155, whenever I'm sad about an animal I see on YouTube, etc. I give $10 to a rescue. It relieves the sadness just enough for me to distract myself so the animal isn't at the top of my mind. I feel you.

by Anonymousreply 156March 11, 2022 4:49 PM

heartbreaking

by Anonymousreply 157March 11, 2022 5:32 PM

Can't watch FB videos, possibly a blessing this time.

by Anonymousreply 158March 11, 2022 9:37 PM

The latest from NFA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 12, 2022 2:29 AM

R159 might be triggering. It's quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 160March 12, 2022 2:31 AM

I feed raccoons. I know. I shouldn't. There's a baby raccoon who shows up all by himself. He's a blond raccoon. He either has a broken leg or a birth defect and his hindquarters are all twisted. Last night I gave him grapes. He would pick off the grapes, pop them in his mouth and then spit out the skins. I called a wildlife rehabber but they said they'd probably just euthanize him. I love my baby blond handicapped raccoon.

Now back to the poor animals in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 161March 12, 2022 3:55 PM

Helping the animals means helping their humans.

Please help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 12, 2022 3:56 PM

I love animals so much, that I've donated to a few charities, but then I feel guilty about not caring about humans so much, that I guilt donate to Medicine Sans Frontiers, Amnesty Intl, and Equality California.

by Anonymousreply 163March 12, 2022 4:19 PM

You're very kind, r163. Don't feel too badly if you give mainly to the animal charities.

Humans have UNICEF, UNHCR, Red Cross, etc. Animals have almost nothing by comparison. Certainly not organizations that have billions available to them.

Amnesty gets government funding from all Western countries.

But you've done great.

by Anonymousreply 164March 12, 2022 5:03 PM

Thank you for assuaging my guilt r164. I guess it stems from my Spock-like Chinese side. I've donated to 3 Ukrainian animal charities, 3 Ukrainian human charities, and an Etsy seller that I recently purchased from- a week after I got my stuff, the incursion began.

by Anonymousreply 165March 12, 2022 5:21 PM

To others who've signed up for UAnimals's Patreon -- the daily updates are excellent, right?

by Anonymousreply 166March 12, 2022 7:31 PM

R161 Have you seen this Youtube channel? This guy looks after a lot of local raccoons (and the local wildlife officers are apparently OK with it) and he probably has knowledge about what would be best for the little guy you describe. I think he (the man with the channel) would be open to being contacted, he seems very concerned with raccoons and their welfare in general. He doesn't seem nutty, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 12, 2022 7:36 PM

r161, I would love to see a blond raccoon!

by Anonymousreply 168March 12, 2022 9:48 PM

An Ark of exotic animals from a rescue shelter in Kyiv is finally in the safe hands of Poznań Zoo after a small convoy made a six-day odyssey across the war-stricken country.

After surviving close encounters with Russian tanks and coming under rocket attack, the vulnerable animals and their Ukrainian carers had to endure an eight-hour wait at the border before handing over the precious cargo to zoo staff, who were waiting on the Polish side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 13, 2022 9:12 AM

Made another donation to Network for Animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 13, 2022 9:17 AM

I hope that dog shown in the pic is OK, R170, but I'm too afraid to click and find out.

by Anonymousreply 171March 13, 2022 10:02 AM

Please help NFA get another evacuation ambulance. I gave some.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 13, 2022 8:12 PM

Like UAnimals, Shelter Ugolyok has very good updates on their Patreon. They just saved a bunch of puppies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 14, 2022 2:18 PM

R173 their video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 14, 2022 2:18 PM

I guess I have no way of knowing if this woman is genuine or not, but the sad doggie eyes got to me. She says she is sending money to a friend who has stayed in Odessa to care for abandoned pets:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 14, 2022 10:05 PM

Done, R172.

by Anonymousreply 176March 14, 2022 10:06 PM

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this woman's husband and dog out of Russia? She's sounds desperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 14, 2022 10:55 PM

Why does she need to "flee" Russia in the first place R177? Russia isn't being bombed. I am very suspicious of the Russians trying to get into Europe right now. Stay the fuck away. Being deprived of western commodities doesn't give you an excuse to head to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 178March 14, 2022 11:02 PM

Incredible story from Ukraine. A woman saw a dog - maybe a husky or German Shepherd - running through the fields. Seemed to be lost and sad. She chased after him, finally managed to catch him with some food, fed him and then managed to get a leash on him to take him to the vet's as he didn't look well, she thought he must be sick.

The vet advised her she had caught a wolf. Poor thing, probably his whole pack had been killed.

by Anonymousreply 179March 14, 2022 11:33 PM

I canā€™t help it but Iā€™m crying. You canā€™t explain to animals whatā€™s happening. Babies either.

by Anonymousreply 180March 14, 2022 11:55 PM

God bless them

by Anonymousreply 181March 15, 2022 1:27 AM

R176, thanks so much.

by Anonymousreply 182March 15, 2022 5:10 AM

PETA UK is heading to Odessa with food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 15, 2022 6:17 AM

BHL is in Odessa. Not good for Ukraine's future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 15, 2022 6:24 AM

R184 is in the wrong thread. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 185March 15, 2022 6:24 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 15, 2022 6:31 AM

Shelter Ugolyok's site.

I signed up for their Patreon, but they also use PayPal (use the menu to get to the donations page).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 15, 2022 6:33 AM

*along with a number

by Anonymousreply 188March 15, 2022 6:39 AM

Shelter Ugolyok covered by Ukrainian media. It's lovely. I hope they avoid the war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 15, 2022 3:39 PM

Sorry, I should mention R189 also discusses the persecution they face from the locals. It's irrational.

by Anonymousreply 190March 15, 2022 3:41 PM

Rather, it discusses and shows the persecution (beatings at town meetings, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 191March 15, 2022 3:44 PM

I'm an ice-cold bitch and even I am wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. The poor animals.

by Anonymousreply 192March 15, 2022 10:42 PM

There's an article up on twitter from The New Statesman about Ukrainians evacuating with their pets. Don't know how to copy it here. "In the face of Russiaā€™s indiscriminate attack, Ukrainiansā€™ care for their animals is an act of defiance."

The Brazilian government just announced they will take Ukrainian refugees AND their pets.

by Anonymousreply 193March 15, 2022 11:11 PM

Nikolaev Zoo is desperate for cash to buy supplies and food. People are buying tickets online to send cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 16, 2022 1:33 PM

Nikolaev Zoo at link. The donate button is the red rounded rectangle in the upper-right corner. It links to a page in Ukrainian, but the translation by Chrome works well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2022 1:35 PM

Great update today from Shelter Ugolyok today on Patreon (the farm sanctuary + dogs and cats).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2022 1:38 PM

Now This News has a CNN segment about DIOZ animal rescue in Poland. They're the ones with Sasha, the baby goat. He appears in the segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2022 1:43 PM

DIOZ's page

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2022 1:44 PM

DIOZ's PayPal link is on the tab "Tak pomozesz" (the middle link near the top of the page, with the maroon background).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2022 1:48 PM

Nice tweet about DIOZ with video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2022 1:50 PM

DIOZ's Instagram page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2022 1:51 PM

thanks for all those links everybody

by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2022 2:36 PM

From today:

DIOZ's warehouse, supplying people going in to Ukraine to bring animals back to Poland, and to provide supplies to shelters in Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2022 4:06 PM

Update from Warriors of Wildlife about the rescue of Masha the bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 17, 2022 5:01 AM

Donation page for Warriors of Wildlife. They use PayPal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 17, 2022 5:02 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 17, 2022 5:03 AM

PETA is working to ease entry requirements for EU member states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 17, 2022 5:17 AM

R194 Mykolaiv (AKA Nicolaev) zoo update.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 17, 2022 3:07 PM

Update from Network for Animals just posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 17, 2022 4:28 PM

Help animals in Odessa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 17, 2022 6:43 PM

Animal SOS Odessa (R210 organization).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 17, 2022 6:54 PM

Say what we will about Dataloungers and pointless bitchery, but we do all seem to love critters and it makes me love you all a little more.

by Anonymousreply 212March 17, 2022 7:05 PM

*Please help animals in Odessa.

by Anonymousreply 213March 17, 2022 7:07 PM

R210 we're so close to $2000. Anyone have some money to spare? Please?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 18, 2022 1:33 PM

Raccoon cafe in Kharkiv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 20, 2022 4:00 AM

An American channel interviewed the husband/father of the family killed by shelling over a week ago. He mentions the dog in the interview but I don't understand what he means. Is he saying the dog is also dead and he recovered it's body? Or is he referring to a dog he had with him (there were reports he had 1 dog and the family had the other in the carrier)? Maybe both dogs were in the carrier and one lived? Either way I find myself a little obsessed about whether or not this man still has one of his pets after losing everything. Can anyone understand what he's saying? There is an interpreter translating to English. Also warning, you will cry watching this. He learned his children were dead after seeing images of their bodies on social media. Fuck Vladimir Putin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 20, 2022 7:35 AM

R215, both dogs were shot or otherwise injured. They were brought to a vet. One died. The other survived but lost a leg.

by Anonymousreply 217March 20, 2022 3:28 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 218March 20, 2022 3:30 PM

R217 is for R216.

by Anonymousreply 219March 20, 2022 3:46 PM

The Today Show's 5 verified charities:

Network for Animals (R91, networkforanimals.org)

International Fund for Animal Welfare (just a note: they gave money to Jose Andres, so not all your money may go to animals)

Humane Society Int'l (hsi.org)

UAnimals (R11)

Happy Paw (R9)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 21, 2022 1:56 PM

R142 see R220 if you need more re UAnimals for your relatives. Today Show.

by Anonymousreply 221March 21, 2022 2:05 PM

Thank you R17. Also R220/R221. I will pass it on. My relative (very proper type person) has started ending all emails to me with "P.S. Fuck Putin."

by Anonymousreply 222March 22, 2022 12:28 AM

Is there any way to retrace the donations you made on Gofundme? I donated to a bunch of Ukranian pet charities, but now one of them has shown up as "Stand with UK" in my list of transactions, and I'm wondering what the hell I donated to.

by Anonymousreply 223March 22, 2022 1:29 AM

Oh, and it says I donated via GOFNDME, as opposed to GoFundMe for the other donations.

by Anonymousreply 224March 22, 2022 1:33 AM

I would contact customer service, r223. They can probably figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 225March 22, 2022 1:43 AM

Shgelter Ugolyok update:

"60 dogs from Donetsk shelter evacuation started...

"Well guess it is only the beginning reaching more then 200 dogs inšŸ˜©"

They meant "evacuated" not "evaluated" in the YouTube title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 23, 2022 4:21 PM

I would have dated Alexandra in a heartbeat (not that sheā€™d have me!). A courageous animal lover who was so gorgeous, totally my type and in the same age bracket too. She would have gone on to do something good with her life, I donā€™t doubt. Awful and wasteful loss.

by Anonymousreply 227March 23, 2022 5:55 PM

Another Shelter Ugolyok update today. An adoption! I think in Poland:

"Very very fast an abandoned pup found himself a family. No words to say how happy he was! He understood what is happening and was very excited šŸ˜Š"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 23, 2022 7:12 PM

Shelter Ugolyok on IG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229March 23, 2022 7:13 PM

Shelter Ugolyok's LinkTree. Lots of ways to help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230March 23, 2022 7:14 PM

R12 I have seen many families on the train to Austria and Switzerland that took their pets. It's not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 231March 23, 2022 8:44 PM

Constantly updated info about the requirements of the various European countries in relation to relaxed rules for refugees' animals. PETA UK and PETA Germany are spearheading the efforts to relax the requirements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 23, 2022 8:53 PM

This seems to be a small rescue in Odessa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233March 25, 2022 7:27 PM

A veterinarian couple in Odessa, famous in IG, doing charity work for animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 25, 2022 7:31 PM

Hero vet braves Ukraine battle zone to rescue injured animals

By Samantha Ibrahim

March 21, 2022 | 11:12am

A veterinarian is being hailed as a hero after he navigated war-torn Ukraine to save animals caught in the crossfire of the rising conflict.

Jakub Kotowicz has rescued over 200 cats and 60 dogs from Lviv, across three convoys.

The 32-year-old entered the war zone last week as part of a caravan from Przemyśl on the Polish border.

The animals he liberated included Vira, a dog with a bullet caught in her spine; and a pygmy goat with deformed legs, named Sasha.

Kotowicz hopes to adopt the goat, who now shares a comfy bed with several Chihuahuas.

The vet opened up the animal rescue charity ADA Foundation when he was 17 and heā€™s using his organization to rescue the animals trapped in the war.

He told SWNS that he hopes to purchase another ambulance and transform a pizza store as a hub for more rescued animals and as a warehouse for packing supplies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 26, 2022 5:48 PM

To help the efforts at R253. This link is at the bottom of the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 26, 2022 5:49 PM

RADAUTI, Romania ā€” Simba the lion and a wolf named Akyla have been evacuated from a zoo in war-torn Ukraine and brought to safety in Romania in what an animal rights group involved in the operation says was a four-day mission ā€œfull of dangersā€ further hampered by border entry bureaucracy.

The adult male lion and the gray wolf, who were fully awake during the dangerous journey due to lack of tranquilizers in Ukraine, arrived Monday at a zoo in Radauti, from a zoo in Zaporizhzhia in southeast Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 26, 2022 5:52 PM

Today Show: cute 28-y.o. American comes to Ukraine to help animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 30, 2022 4:45 PM

Kangaroos and wallabies evacuated from Feldman Ecopark in Kharkiv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 30, 2022 4:48 PM

The Mykolaiv Zoo's 4,000 wild animals are trapped by the war in Ukraine. As air raid sirens wail across the southern city, a leopard brushes nervously against the bars of his cage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 30, 2022 4:50 PM

Hilton Head dog groomer heads to Ukraine to help animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 30, 2022 4:50 PM

WaPo opinion piece yesterday.

I'm wondering about the farm animals - if anyone is saving them. I know there are some farm sanctuaries in Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 30, 2022 4:52 PM

Radio Free Europe piece about Shelter Friend, one of the charities mentioned in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 30, 2022 4:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 30, 2022 4:54 PM

Animal welfare in wartime

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has demonstrated our deep connection to other species ā€” and the need to better protect them in conflict and disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 30, 2022 4:55 PM

I hope the Russians end up seeing this and feel shame. They need to kill that POS in charge.

by Anonymousreply 246March 30, 2022 6:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247March 30, 2022 7:00 PM

The only positive quality I've ever seen ascribed to Putin is that he loves animals. Maybe the animals suffering in Ukraine will affect him even if the people's suffering doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 248March 30, 2022 9:15 PM

Rescue of a big dog locked in this apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249April 1, 2022 12:12 AM

National Geographic covers Masha the bear in Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 1, 2022 4:28 PM

From R250 (National Geo). Links in the original.

The following are just some of the groups working to help Ukraineā€™s animals. Visit their websites to learn more about how to get involved.

- Warriors of Wildlife, the Ukraine-based group that rescued Masha

- Libearty Bear Sanctuary, in Romania, where Masha now lives

- Leonid and Valentina Stoyanov, veterinarians in Odesa, Ukraine, helping abandoned animals

- Red Shed, which lists supplies needed by animal shelters and their addresses

- DIOZ, a Polish charity bringing food and medicine to animals in Kyiv, Mariupol, and elsewhere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 1, 2022 4:30 PM

The Warriors of Wildlife link in the Nat Geo article is wrong. This is the correct link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 1, 2022 4:33 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253April 1, 2022 4:48 PM

From animal rescue efforts to independent vegan restaurant donations, these efforts prove that we all can make a difference in Ukraine from abroad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 1, 2022 4:52 PM

Gostomel shelter desperately needs help. It's UA's largest shelter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 1, 2022 5:10 PM

Just one shelter in Khmelnysky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256April 2, 2022 2:52 PM

Dogs at the Hungarian border.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 2, 2022 2:54 PM

UAnimals's daily Patreon updates are really excellent. Consider signing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 3, 2022 6:12 AM

A sample - UAnimals's latest update. Consider signing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259April 4, 2022 1:30 PM

The Patreon update is longer and has more pictures, by the way. It's worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 4, 2022 1:32 PM

Update from the Mariupol zoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261April 4, 2022 5:36 PM

From yesterday.

All Creatures Great and Small

The country the Russians came to destroy, in fighting for its life, has become one that extends solidarity and love beyond its human citizens.

By George Packer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 5, 2022 3:10 PM

I hate zoos, but this of course is tragic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 5, 2022 3:12 PM

This was in UAnimalss's latest Patreon update. Please help.

According to the charity UAnimals, the shelter's 485 dogs remained locked in their cages from the beginning of the war in late February until the beginning of April, when Russian soldiers left Borodyanka and charity volunteers were able to return to the shelter. During that time, the dogs were left without any food or water, the charity said. By the time the volunteers finally gained access to the building on April 1, all but 150 of the 485 animals had died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 5, 2022 3:13 PM

Country Living's list of vetted charities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 5, 2022 3:14 PM

Oh God, there were some pics up on twitter of a bunch of dogs who had starved to death in a shelter. And then there was a pic of a man who had been shot to death riding on his bike. His dog who survived, lying next to the body.

by Anonymousreply 266April 5, 2022 3:52 PM

I saw that pic, R266. I can't look at the ones of the poor dogs in the shelter. Sometimes I see why people go to such great lengths to maintain a belief in an afterlife/god/some kind of commensurate reward for a life well- (or ill-) lived. Without a belief like that there is nothing but despair seeing the suffering in Ukraine. All of these people and animals died awfully and in pain. You want there to be some relief for them, don't you? And it's awful to face that there might not be.

by Anonymousreply 267April 5, 2022 11:50 PM

NPR covered the latest big story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 6, 2022 1:41 PM

The UK is seizing adopted dogs from UA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269April 6, 2022 1:42 PM

I gave a bit to Network for Animals, mentioned in posts above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270April 6, 2022 1:44 PM

Just posted by Network for Animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 7, 2022 3:32 PM

Network for Animals post about ambulances - one of DIOZ's ambulances, already very run-down, was in an accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 7, 2022 3:42 PM

Just posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 10, 2022 12:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 12, 2022 3:20 AM

Here's a link to a video of a puppy being rescued (I promise it has a good ending but it's insane all the same).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 13, 2022 3:08 PM

Like UAnimals, Shelter Ugolyok at R10 also has excellent updates on Patreon.

by Anonymousreply 276April 13, 2022 3:28 PM

Saw this from a Cleveland local news site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 14, 2022 2:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278April 14, 2022 2:43 PM

A Today Show report from a few days ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 14, 2022 2:44 PM

I'm somewhat surprised that my local (rich) animal hospitals aren't emailing patients asking for donations to help.

by Anonymousreply 280April 14, 2022 2:44 PM

From The Dodo. Masha the bear has been covered in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 11, 2022 7:42 PM

OP HAS to be a Lesbian Rescue Woman. Rescue Chick is that you?

by Anonymousreply 282May 11, 2022 7:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!