Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rita vs. Lynda: Put The Blame on Mame

I forgot about that television movie Lynda Carter did about Rita Hayworth. At least Lynda did her own singing. But she lacked Rita’s sinuous, slinky elegance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2023 11:27 AM

She also lacked the cinematography and make up department. Lynda would have made more sense as Jane Russell.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2022 1:07 AM

Lynda had regained the facial fat she lost after the WWI episodes of Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2022 1:10 AM

Debra Winger called Lynda a mannequin in an interview she had years ago when she was asked about working with Lynda on her WONDER WOMAN show. I felt bad for Debbie because she was saddled with that awful wig that made her look like someone’s mom dressed up like Wonder Woman for Halloween.

I was always curious about why Lynda’s singing career never really took off.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2022 1:18 AM

I remember being very excited to watch this when it first aired as I loved Rita Hayworth (and still do). I was skeptical about Wonder woman playing her, but glad Rita was getting such exposure.

Needless to say the movie was a disappointment. Not awful, just dull and boring and low budget. And Lynda was no Rita Hayworth though she tried.

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2022 1:19 AM

With Julian Fellowes as "Aly Khan's chauffeur".

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2022 1:20 AM

I loved this trend in early 80s tv movies. Loni and Arnold as Jayne and Mickey, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2022 1:26 AM

[Quote] I was always curious about why Lynda’s singing career never really took off.

Check out clips from her TV specials on YouTube. You'll get your answer.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2022 1:27 AM

Compared to Rita, Lynda looks like she's in some community theater production.

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2022 1:32 AM

Lynda also wasn't much of a mover. She had a killer body, better than Rita's, though.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2022 1:43 AM

Lynda wasn’t awful. But Rita looked so spontaneous; she seemed to be enjoying every second of it. Lynda’s performance felt so choreographed. There was no way she could have been expected to bring Rita’s effortless sensuality to her singing.

As far as Lynda Carter’s singing career goes, I’ve never seen her live. But I do see ads for her gigs at some of NY’s posher clubs. I can imagine her singing wouldn’t distract you from your dinner.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2022 1:43 AM

R10 I rewatched Gilda recently and Rita really holds up in the charisma department.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2022 1:47 AM

Lynda is a lounge singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2022 1:51 AM

Lynda's not a bad singer at all. Not a very distinctive voice, but a good one.

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2022 1:55 AM

I guess you don't give a shit about phrasing etc.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2022 1:57 AM

FUN FACT: In John Kobal's excellent book "People Will Talk", costume designer Jean Louis revealed that he had also designed a gorgeous sleeveless white fur vest, with the intention that Rita Hayworth wear it over his iconic "Gilda" gown. He expressed regret that the film's director opted only to show it being dragged across the floor before quickly tossing it aside; without the audience ever getting a chance to see the complete look he created.

After scouring the internet, I was able to find ONE photo of Rita actually wearing the sleeveless white fur over her "Gilda" dress. Unfortunately, it's only a closeup upper body shot and we still can't see Jean Louis' complete vision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2022 2:02 AM

Her singing isn’t bad. Today they’d use auto tune to make her sound better.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2022 12:07 PM

Fun fact: Anita Ellis (who dubbed RH's singing voice) was Larry Kert's sister. She lived to be 95.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2022 12:34 PM

Lynda's hair in that clip ruins the effect because of all the frizz. I don't know if they did that on purpose to make her hair more "modern" (it was made in the early 80's) but it's very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2022 1:00 PM

Rita was pregnant while filming the scene. The black outfit was designed to disguise her baby bump.

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2022 1:03 PM

That makes no sense. It's a shiny black outfit, not matte.

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2022 4:27 PM

I remember reading that Jean Louis' "Mame" strapless frock was dark green, registering as black on screen.

RH had almost no torso, so he was a genius at giving her the illusion of one.

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2022 6:22 PM

She'd be clowned for that flatt butt these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2022 6:26 PM

Those Golden Age Hollywood beauty makers worked wonders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2022 6:31 PM

Ann Jillian played Mae West in a tv movie around this same time. And yes, it was just as horrible as you could imagine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2022 8:07 PM

Loni Anderson’s turn as Jayne Mansfield was simply terrible. She wasn’t nearly as pretty and her shape was not even close to Jayne’s hourglass figure.

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2022 10:57 PM

I agree with r10.

The biggest difference was that Lynda's seemed very rehearsed and choreographed will Rita just seemingly winged it. Lynda moves more like a dancer.

Also, in the key moments, like when she's removing the glove, Rita is a lot more alluring. Rita really plays it up almost as if she's removing lingerie, rather than a glove.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2022 11:14 PM

Lynda does not move like a dancer at all. She can't even do arms.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2022 11:56 PM

[Quote] Rita just seemingly winged it

Bless your fucking heart.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2022 11:56 PM

A true embarrassment was Jennifer Love Hewitt as Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 29March 4, 2022 12:11 AM

Did Barrie Youngfellow get to play anyone of note?

by Anonymousreply 30March 4, 2022 12:13 AM

Rita Hayworth was not pregnant when she filmed Gilda. She gave birth to Rebecca Welles in Dec, 1944. Gilda filmed from September to December, 1945.

Her next child, Princess Yasmin Aga Khan, was born in December, 1949.

by Anonymousreply 31March 4, 2022 12:13 AM

Cheryl Ladd as Grace Kelly was a washout too.

by Anonymousreply 32March 4, 2022 12:13 AM

R30, Barrie played Joan Crawford in the “Movieola” miniseries, the episode about the making of Gone With the Wind. She was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 33March 4, 2022 12:16 AM

Here’s the Moviola episode with Barrie Youngfellow as Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 4, 2022 12:19 AM

[quote] Rita Hayworth was not pregnant when she filmed Gilda. She gave birth to Rebecca Welles in Dec, 1944. Gilda filmed from September to December, 1945.

So R19 just made up a complete lie?

by Anonymousreply 35March 4, 2022 12:27 AM

Rita looks like a goddess. Linda looks like a drunk on karaoke night.

by Anonymousreply 36March 4, 2022 12:32 AM

I've seen the genuine Gilda dress in person. It was so tiny it couldn't zip all the way up the back on a department store mannequin.

by Anonymousreply 37March 4, 2022 12:33 AM

It was said she still had a baby weight belly which is why Jean Louis had the bow at the waist.

by Anonymousreply 38March 4, 2022 12:47 AM

Here's a video on the dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 4, 2022 12:48 AM

Rita Hayworth was a wonder every time she had a chance to dance or do a number, even if they replaced her singing. She was luminescent.

Lynda? TV movie?

No, OP.

Show a little dignity, for Christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 40March 4, 2022 12:50 AM

We all lacked the sinuous, slinky elegance of Rita's era, OP. :(

by Anonymousreply 41March 4, 2022 12:51 AM

Add Sondra Locke's 1982 turn as Rosemary Clooney to the "Early 80s Made-For-TV Shobiz Bio" Craze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 4, 2022 12:52 AM

Loni Anderson was not attractive, her face was pretty busted. She was all blonde hair and big tits. Suzanne Somers was the same. Without the tits and blonde hair, they were not pretty women.

by Anonymousreply 43March 4, 2022 12:53 AM

[quote] It was said she still had a baby weight belly

A year after giving birth?

by Anonymousreply 44March 4, 2022 12:53 AM

She ate because she was depressed at the time being married to Orson Welles who was never home.

by Anonymousreply 45March 4, 2022 12:57 AM

Loni was pretty as a brunette as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 4, 2022 12:57 AM

Rita always appears so statuesque and larger than life on screen. But then I'm always surprised to see her dancing with Fred Astaire and she's shorter than he was and he was tiny, 5'7" and 135 lbs., so she was actually quite diminutive.

by Anonymousreply 47March 4, 2022 1:03 AM

We all had to flats to dance with Fred.

by Anonymousreply 48March 4, 2022 1:06 AM

... wear flats ...

by Anonymousreply 49March 4, 2022 1:06 AM

But not Rita, Annie! Rita wore heels with Mr. Astaire.

by Anonymousreply 50March 4, 2022 1:08 AM

Kick up your heels!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 4, 2022 1:10 AM

Google says she was 5.5 feet.

by Anonymousreply 52March 4, 2022 1:10 AM

In terms of expression, Lynda's singing is as vacant and non-specific as her acting. But she loves the heartfelt, bluesy songs and tries to get by on her voice, and her pipes are impressive, even now. She keeps teasing in her act, talking like she's gonna really give it to us and show us how it's done, but then she never really delivers on that. Her movement is stiff and awkward. She sometimes does the Wonder Woman spins, but she doesn't sing the song.

Seen her in two rooms in NYC and she at least has the sense to surround herself with great Nashville studio guys and backup singers, so even though she's the worst musician up there and has the least "soul", it's still a great show. And not a cheap one for her to produce, she uses a full mini-band, she doesn't just get out there with a piano or trio and take the money and run. She also doesn't stage door/meet fans after for pictures and chat very much.

What's ironic is that if you read her social media it's clear LC is a great, great gal who isn't afraid to speak out about her causes. I don't think she needs to work, the singing and album making is a kind of paid hobby. She was a Washington wife for a long time, so she married well. She's newly widowed and she's been really openhearted about her grieving process and how her love for her husband continues.

by Anonymousreply 53March 4, 2022 1:11 AM

Lynda looks like she is wearing a Korean wig.

by Anonymousreply 54March 4, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote]She also doesn't stage door/meet fans after for pictures and chat very much.

I don't blame anybody for not doing this. There are so many crazies out there if I were a famous person I'd be worried for my safety. A meet and greet at a stage door is a very confined space and it would be easy for some nut to do something awful.

by Anonymousreply 55March 4, 2022 1:14 AM

Lynda's late husband was filthy fucking rich, she has no money worries. She recently bought a $15 million condo somewhere in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 56March 4, 2022 1:15 AM

Lynda's cover of Rickie Lee Jones' "Danny's All Star Joint" is actually pretty cute.

Btw, can facetune be applied to every frame of a moving image?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 4, 2022 1:19 AM

[quote]Barrie played Joan Crawford in the “Movieola” miniseries...

In GOWNS BY TRAVILLA!

by Anonymousreply 58March 4, 2022 1:20 AM

"She sometimes does the Wonder Woman spins"

How can she do this on stage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 4, 2022 1:20 AM

I thought Lynda was having drinking issues during that time period of her Rita movie, hence the somewhat bloated face?...

by Anonymousreply 60March 4, 2022 1:21 AM

There’s an episode of the Carol Burnett show, ca. 1970-ish, and Rita is a guest and does her own singing in a number with Carol. Surprisingly, her voice is better than one would expect given the fact she was always dubbed in her films. Much better than Roz Russell’s voice, of Cyd Charisse’s.

She was in rehearsal to replace Lauren Bacall in Applause when Bacall left, and the producers sadly realized she simply couldn’t do the part, due to the effects of Alzheimer’s.

by Anonymousreply 61March 4, 2022 1:21 AM

When isn't Lynda having drinking issues?

by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2022 1:21 AM

Imagine the gay bar scene in APPLAUSE if Rita had joined the cast as planned?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 4, 2022 1:23 AM

R57 I always loved it on the specials when Lynda tried to really go rock and roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 4, 2022 1:24 AM

Lynda allegedly quit drinking a long time ago. But don't they all say that?

by Anonymousreply 65March 4, 2022 1:25 AM

pity Carol's Gilda parody Golda is hard to find unless you get that huge Carol DVD collection.

by Anonymousreply 66March 4, 2022 1:25 AM

Off Topic, but I wonder is Lynda still good friends with Chris Evert..

by Anonymousreply 67March 4, 2022 1:26 AM

A great shot of Rita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 4, 2022 1:28 AM

R62 - she keeps her empties in her invisible plane.

by Anonymousreply 69March 4, 2022 1:29 AM

Rita wasn't pregnant when she made Gilda, but she was pregnant when she made Tonight and every Night the previous year to Gilda. It was a musical so they shot the dance number early in the production. Here's her opening number, in which she dances Jack Cole, the choreographer of this film as well as Gilda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 4, 2022 1:39 AM

She dances with Cole, who stepped in for another dancer. Note how the backup women all have RH hairstyles.

by Anonymousreply 71March 4, 2022 1:58 AM

I've never seen that film R70, was it decent?

by Anonymousreply 72March 4, 2022 2:05 AM

Janet Blair co-stars. She thought she could be the next Rita but the public disagreed.

by Anonymousreply 73March 4, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote]Rita just seemingly winged it

[quote]Bless your fucking heart.

Idiots like you are why people buy into all the nonsense that cheeto spouted.

I said she "seemingly winged it" not that she didn't rehearse it. The point was that it came across as more spontaneous, carefree, and light.

Bless YOUR stupid heart.

by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2022 2:35 AM

Your phrasing was poor. Own it.

by Anonymousreply 75March 4, 2022 2:59 AM

[Quote] She keeps teasing in her act, talking like she's gonna really give it to us and show us how it's done, but then she never really delivers on that.

Well then, she's not getting 88 cents out of me!

by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2022 3:02 AM

[Quote] Rita just seemingly winged it. Lynda moves more like a dancer.

Speaking of stupid...

by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2022 3:02 AM

Tonight and Every Night is a decent movie. Not in the same league as Rita's musicals with Astaire and Kelly, but it attempts a serious story line about a London musical revue theater committed to staying open during the London Blitz. Rita is the standout in this. Janet Blair is fine as Rita's friend, but she's no Rita Hayworth. Lee Bowman makes for a pallid leading man and love interest for Rita.

by Anonymousreply 78March 4, 2022 11:48 AM

[Quote] I said she "seemingly winged it" not that she didn't rehearse it.

You also said Lynda moves more like a dancer, which she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 79March 4, 2022 5:15 PM

Lynda does move more like a dancer - a dancer whose recovering from polio.

by Anonymousreply 80March 4, 2022 9:11 PM

When was Lynda drinking heavily?

I thought it was in the late 90s / early 00s.

by Anonymousreply 81March 7, 2022 7:20 PM

[Quote] When was Lynda drinking heavily?

Check out her TV interviews from the last decade...

by Anonymousreply 82March 7, 2022 7:23 PM

[Quote] After scouring the internet, I was able to find ONE photo of Rita actually wearing the sleeveless white fur over her "Gilda" dress.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 83March 7, 2022 7:27 PM

I saw an interview Lynda did on tv maybe 2 years ago and she sounded like she might have been a bit tipsy.

by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2022 7:38 PM

There was an interview with, I think, Katie Couric. Also, one with that Doctor guy (not Drew). Lynda was blotto.

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2022 7:42 PM

This is Lynda on Dr. Oz's show from 2018. She does kind of sound like she had a few backstage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 7, 2022 7:47 PM

How long was her husband ill? That might have sent her back to the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 87March 7, 2022 7:48 PM

R86... she just talks and sounds different, yes, i know she is getting up there in age, but just strange to me....

by Anonymousreply 88March 8, 2022 12:13 AM

Lynda is looking very "refreshed" lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2022 7:16 PM

Cringy. I would never return to that night club if the headliner of the night was giving that hammy performance. Terrible song and terrible choreography in the original and remake.

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2022 7:22 PM

The original musical number with Rita Hayworth is one of the most famous musical numbers ever. She was magic in that scene and impossibly gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 91April 29, 2022 7:29 PM

No one can forget Connie Stevens as Marilyn Monroe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 29, 2022 7:38 PM

Were there different cuts of Connie's "The Sex Symbol"? A theatrical version with nudity and a TV friendly version?

by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2022 7:59 PM

[Quote] Played with little‐girl hysteria by Connie Stevens, who looks more like an aging Ginger Rogers than a developing Marilyn Monroe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote]I've seen the genuine Gilda dress in person.

No one knows where it is, and if you saw it back when Forrest J Ackerman owned it, no one is sure he owned the original. It was going to be sold at his estate auction but it was removed, and the rumor was that it wasn't authentic so the auction house withdrew the lot.

I remember seeing the eBay auction in 2009 that was supposedly the Ackerman "Gilda" dress but it closed without a seller, best anyone could tell. Was only up for less than a day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2022 8:36 PM

Patsy Kensit doing the same number

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2022 1:10 AM

Wow, Patsy’s take is superior to Lynda’s…

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2022 8:13 PM

Vocal by Minnie Mouse.

by Anonymousreply 98January 1, 2023 10:19 AM

angie lansbury so fab on bway in MAME ! LUCY SUCKED DIRT.

by Anonymousreply 99January 1, 2023 10:21 AM

Grew up hate-watching all these TV bio pics and TV specials! "Let's get a TV light-weight to play a legend!" Or "Here's a TV bimbo showing her "range!"

Oh, and Cheryl Ladd as Grace Kelly...

by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2023 11:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!