Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christopher Nolan continues tradition of massive male casts with “Oppenheimer”

Cast includes Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon, Rami Malek, Benny Safdie, Josh Hartnett, Dane DeHaan, Jack Quaid, Matthew Modine, Dylan Arnold, David Krumholtz, Alden Ehrenreich, David Dastmalchian, Jason Clarke, James D’Arcy & Michael Angarano

Female roles went to Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2022 11:05 AM

Who cares? Males are his main audience and they tend to go see these type of films starring men.

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2022 11:55 PM

How does Benny Safdie keep getting cast? He looks like he should always have a drool cup handy.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2022 11:56 PM

Wow, why take a chance with such a big cast of well-knows these days. It’s just waiting to be rocked by some metoo scandal.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2022 12:10 AM

MeToo is over r3

The public has finally acknowledged that the MeToo movement was all about hysterical score settling

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2022 12:17 AM

Isn't this movie about the development of the atomic bomb which was done almost totally by white men?

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2022 12:20 AM

Viola Davis is the quintessential Oppenheimer!

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2022 12:22 AM

R5 it’s well known that a trans woman of color threw the first atom bomb at Hiroshima.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2022 12:23 AM

Jack Quaid was sexy in Scream 5. He had a gayish cadence to his voice that makes me think he’s family.

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2022 12:26 AM

Well, the plane that dropped the first bomb was the Enola Gay.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2022 12:29 AM

R9 it’s the Enola Trans now

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2022 12:32 AM

Will Matthew Modine [italic]finally[/italic] get to show us his (supposedly enormous) dong?

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2022 12:36 AM

I think now it's just the Enolx.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]Isn't this movie about the development of the atomic bomb which was done almost totally by white men?

Yes, just like the Stonewall riots!

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]Isn't this movie about the development of the atomic bomb which was done almost totally by white men?

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2022 12:45 AM

More actors! More! More!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2022 3:49 PM

Seems like he cast a bunch of has beens from every 00s and early10s "Hot Young Hollywood" list. Why not add Taylor Kitsch and Tom Hardy to this "impressive" cast?

Also, is he secretly buttfucking Cilian Murphy or why is that bland mfer cast in every movie?

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2022 5:16 PM

Looking forward to him directing “Sean Cody’s Hamptons Getaway” next year.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2022 7:26 PM

Will Armie and Timmy be cast as Fat Man and Little Boy?

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2022 8:25 PM

Well to be fair on an army base where they were developing The Bomb, everyone there was a man. Certainly all the key players. Sign of the times, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2022 8:35 PM

More actors! More!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 11, 2022 5:46 PM

"The public has finally acknowledged that the MeToo movement was all about hysterical score settling."

Unlike your bitchass comment?

by Anonymousreply 21March 11, 2022 6:18 PM

More, more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2022 6:45 PM

Why are people complaining about a major director doing a big-budget period drama with an all-star cast. I’m excited.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2022 6:56 PM

I NEED MORE MEN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2022 9:26 PM

Sounds like a fucking hot GANG BANG.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2022 9:38 PM

R15 that guy will always look like a deflated fat guy

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2022 9:42 PM

I want Michael Angarano to #metoo all over my face.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2022 9:45 PM

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2022 9:47 PM

‘Oppenheimer’: Christopher Nolan Accused of Casting Only White Actors

It was bound to happen.

A few tweets went viral today and kickstarted a conversation about Christopher Nolan’s all-white casting of actors for “Oppenheimer.”

I even read a post somewhere saying “Someone should investigate where this cast was on January 6th, 2021.” Funny. Of course, there’s no denying that the cast Nolan has assembled here is uber-milky, but it’s also very important to pinpoint the time and place the story he’s telling is set in.

You are free to complain about the lack of diversity in Nolan's past films, but “Oppenheimer” is the worst possible example to point out. Nolan’s film is focused on a man who worked with a bunch of scientists, all of which were old white men, what the hell can you do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote]Nolan’s film is focused on a man who worked with a bunch of scientists, all of which were old white men, what the hell can you do?

Oh, I can think of something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2022 9:54 PM

Maybe Nolan is just more comfortable working with white actors, that Peele guy said the same about working with black actors a few years ago and everyone was okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2022 10:16 PM

Oppenheimer is trans and native until further notice. I'm thinking Zendaya plus a bald wig. Hashtag nukleer!

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2022 6:21 AM

"Schindler's List" - Spielberg accused of only casting Polish Jews and English whites.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2022 6:24 AM

I'm not really bothered. Aside from Hathaway's decent work as Catwoman, Nolan doesn't appear that interested in creating memorable female characters.

I did think Swank was decent in Insomnia, as well as Chastain in Interstellar. But, nothing to write home about.

I find most of his films tend to be overinflated, directionless bores.

So, now, he's making a movie about the guy who designed the atomic bomb. I bet it'll be as much of a slog as David Fincher's Mank. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2022 6:28 AM

It’s fake outrage. It’s just Twitter.

Twitter is not really the social police, they just think they are. Hollywood needs to stop listening to Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2022 6:37 AM

R30 That whole thing didn’t make any sense. There was one interview where she was describing how Anne would have worn her hair natural or something and it was so confusing.

But I’m ignorant of the black British. As Brits, do they identify with the British or their roots in the Caribbean and Africa or both? The thing is, black people outside the Americas know where they come from.

It would be like a black American wanting to play Martha Washington. Don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2022 6:41 AM

R30 this never ceases to astound me. Twitter would riot if Harriet Tubman was played by a white woman or even a Chinese woman. It's also interesting how the majority of these racially motivated castings always involve blackwashing. It's never an Asian actor cast or rarely a Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2022 6:41 AM

R36 lol sounds like they are trying to gaslight the world into thinking Anne Boleyn was really a black woman and was beheaded for wearing her natural hair kinky.

Also you forgot about Hamilton. That was made for blacks and Latinos to play white American historical figures.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2022 6:44 AM

[quote]I find most of his films tend to be overinflated, directionless bores.

Same, especially post Inception, where it seems he's perpetually trying to outdo himself. Tenet was a staggering amount of effort and expensive going into something I found it impossible to care about. Dunkirk hardly had a character in it, for all the dozens of faces/names. I see it listed in people's prior credits, and I have to take their word for it that they were in it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2022 6:46 AM

R5 That's the common conception but I do wonder how true that is. I thought the Moon landing was primarily done by white men as well but Hidden Figures disabused me of that notion.

And of course, it's not like women haven't contributed to our understanding of radiation or the splitting of the atom, most particularly Madame Curie.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2022 6:47 AM

R38 Harriet Tubman is a bad example because her race is important to her character. She was a black slave.

Let’s not pretend Angelina Jolie didn’t do “A Mighty Heart” or Emma Stone playing a Hawaiian in “Aloha”.

Not only that, a lot of white roles were meant for black actors or people of color and were changed to white. There are several roles that described black or Latino characters and they were changed to white.

Catwoman was supposed to be black in the original Batman 2 script, Carey Mulligan in Drive was supposed to be Latina, Angelina in Wanted was supposed to be black, the list can go on about whitewashing.

Blackwashing, while some are ridiculous, ain’t that common but gets more outrage cause white people complain when the shit they do is done to them.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2022 6:49 AM

R40 the role of Madame Curie was rightfully mine

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2022 6:49 AM

R34 Why would it be like Mank? Surely they’ll show the bombs going off in this.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2022 6:50 AM

John David Washington was just the sole lead in Tenet.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2022 6:52 AM

Buncha pasty-faced limeys doing American accents again.

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2022 6:53 AM

You're completely right though R34. It's a wonder that Nolan is married and, allegedly, straight because he seems to have no inkling about the female psychology at all. His female characters are all empty, vacant plot devices. They don't even tend to be sexualized like you might aspect from a straight filmmaker uninterested in writing dimensional female characters.

He's got that strange British quality that seems to stem from growing up in a boys boarding school: it's a writing style that seems to imagine a world where men are the only one's who exist and women live in an entirely different world. They might be living rich lives out there but who knows - crossing the worlds is tantamount to invasion beyond the most perfunctory relationships men and women have with one another.

Given that, I don't want to see Nolan's interpretation of Curie - that would just be sad.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2022 6:59 AM

Josh Peck?

"One of these things is not like the others...one of these things just doesn't belong..."

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2022 8:24 AM

Who was his muse?

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2022 9:25 AM

The casting of Florence Pugh will save a little on the cost of art direction as she takes up so much of the screen space.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2022 10:03 AM

I wonder if this casting will backfire. There’s going to be like 40 speaking roles for name actors. It will seem cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2022 10:04 AM

No trans women of colour. Cancel this film now.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2022 10:05 AM

Ew, Matt Damon's in this.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2022 11:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!