Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Loretta Young date-raped by Clark Gable? Did she have an affair with Spencer Tracy?

All this gossip about Young was taking over the Jerry Lewis thread (of all things), so I'm giving it its own thread here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2022 3:02 PM

She was because no woman has ever wanted a man she found enormously physically attractive to fuck her. The idea that women might sometimes actually want to have sex is disgusting and offensive. Especially if they are Catholic. A Catholic woman only will consent if she is married and wants to create more followers of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2022 9:49 PM

Her and Clark did create a follower, a bastard one, but a follower

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2022 9:51 PM

[quote] Was Loretta Young date-raped by Clark Gable? Did she have an affair with Spencer Tracy?

No. No.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote]Her and Clark did create a follower, a bastard one, but a follower

Quarter in the swear jar, r2. Throw in another Oh Dear quarter for "Her and Clark".

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2022 9:55 PM

I know nothing about Loretta Young and am in process of reading an article about this but I stumbled upon something else:

[quote]When Gable, the 22-year-old Young, and the rest of the crew left for Mount Baker, Washington, in January of 1935, Gable was a month from winning Best Actor for his turn in It Happened One Night. He was also a known womanizer, constantly at war with his second wife, who rebelled against his constant philandering, most notably with fellow MGM star Joan Crawford. Those relations, along with [bold]a purported drunk driving accident in 1934 that killed a pedestrian[/bold], were kept quiet by MGM’s legendary team of “fixers,” who helped shape the raw, and often scandalous, star material into sanitized images ready for public consumption.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Gable killed someone while driving drunk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2022 10:02 PM

[quote]Young had been on contract long enough to know that if she had told 20th Century about the pregnancy, chances were they would have arranged for a swift and secret abortion — which had or would soon happen to Jean Harlow, Kay Francis, and Judy Garland — but which Young considered a mortal sin.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2022 10:08 PM

^^^Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2022 10:11 PM

(Sorry, that was meant for r2.)

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2022 10:11 PM

[quote]So the family made plans to conceal the pregnancy on their own. First, Young would finish shooting two additional films, making public appearances throughout. On April 21, she was part of the wedding party for Hollywood director Tay Garnett; on May 6, she hosted a tea for the press in her backyard. Then, Young would publicly become very exhausted. A profile published in Movie Classic in June called her “the most tired little person in Hollywood” after months of working 18-hour days. Still, Young was careful to appear in public just enough so that no one could misconstrue her fatigue for pregnancy. Ed Sullivan, then a society columnist, detailed a whirlwind Manhattan weekend, and when Young and her mother, Gladys, set sail for Europe on June 29, that, too, was featured in the papers — as were reports of her active social calendar while abroad, hosted by prominent expats and countesses.

[quote]Back in Los Angeles, Young hid in a cottage located in a newly developed corner of Venice, far from the Hollywood crowd. Best friend Josie Wayne (wife to John) came to visit, throwing her arms around Young but never acknowledging the pregnancy — nor did Tracy, who stopped by while Young was swaddled in comforters and told her he loved her. Young eventually found herself so stir-crazy that her family would drive her, late at night, to culs-de-sac, just so she could walk about, and drive-in movies, where she’d be kept from sight.

[quote]As the birth approached, the biggest concern was the milkman. Namely, whether or not he’d hear Young’s screams as she went into labor. Young’s mother and sisters worked together to soundproof the house, lining the windows with blankets and towels; when, on Nov. 6, 1935, her screams started, Dr. Halloron chloroformed her. A backup doctor and nurse, unaware of the identity of the woman giving birth in secret, idled in a car down the street while Young went into labor on her sister Sally’s massage table.

[...]

[quote]In the weeks to come, Young stayed in the Venice house with Judy and a nurse, Frenchie, who helped care for the baby...

[quote]At first, Judy stayed in the Venice house with Frenchie, and Young visited when possible. When Frenchie approached the housekeeper with an offer to blackmail Loretta, the housekeeper alerted the family, launching them into high gear: Within days, they’d placed Judy in a Catholic orphanage until Loretta could feasibly adopt her without scandal.

[quote]That time came on June 10, 1937, when Young announced the adoption of two young girls via Louella Parsons' gossip column. Parsons was well-versed in the ways of innuendo: “Loretta Young, film star, admitted to me today she is a mother — by adoption.” She’d be adopting an older girl, age 4, and younger one, just 23 and a half months. “There is just one thing I can’t tell you,” Young told Parsons, “and that is where I got the children, and I want to forget as soon as possible that they are not mine.”

[quote]Nearly a month later, Young announced that a relative of the older girl had surfaced to claim her back — leaving Young with a single adopted baby girl, birthdate strategically altered, by the name of Judy.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]It was in 1998 — in the wake of Judy’s memoir — that Young, by then in her eighties, first heard the term “date rape” on Larry King Live, at home in Palm Springs with Ed Funk. “She asked me what that meant and I explained to the best of my ability,” Funk told me. The next night, Linda was over for dinner, and Young brought up the term again, asking for further explanation. Linda recalls telling Young that it was “basically when you’re with someone that you trust, or literally on a date with them, and you’re not compliant, or you’re saying no, and they’re not listening. And they either can’t hear it or believe the old myth of ‘Oh, you really want that.' I said, ‘It doesn’t have to be violent, it doesn’t have to be rip-your-clothes-off. It’s when your no isn’t no.'”

[quote]“And there was this whole dawning,” Linda said, with the sound of Young’s voice, still on TCM, in the background, mixed in with the slow patter of the end of a Florida thunderstorm. “Like, suddenly there’s a category that this thing that happened to her fits. And she was a good actress, but this was not fake. She said, ‘That — that’s what happened to me.’ We talked about it, and it didn’t make her angry at him, it just gave her a new frame that I think lifted a lot of her guilt.”

[...]

[quote]in 2011, Judy, then 78, succumbed to lymphoma. “Six months later, something went click,” Linda said, nursing a glass of pinot grigio at one of countless surf ’n’ turf grills that line the east Florida coast. “Judy is not here to be hurt by this. And that’s what Loretta really wanted to avoid — because who doesn’t want to be conceived in love?”

[...]

[quote]According to Funk, Young, like so many from her generation, conceived of her role in “the game of sexes” as “the guy tries to get what she wants; the woman’s job is to fight him off.” The inability to fend off Gable’s advances constituted a failure on her part — not Gable’s. She spent the rest of her life trying to compensate for that failure, believing that the guilt was hers and hers alone.

[quote]For years, Linda and Chris remained undecided about whether or not to speak about what happened to Loretta. [bold]The night on the train took place eight decades ago; neither Young nor Gable are alive to speak for themselves.[/bold]

[quote]“When you’re the keeper of this information, it’s a terrifying story to tell for the first time,” Linda said, trying to steady the wobble in her voice. “It’s so dramatic. [bold]The onus is on us to prove it, but you can’t prove it. It’s 'he said, she said.'[/bold] But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t tell the story.”

Okay. Dataloungers like to refute things so go ahead.

Per the article it nothing more than a flirtation with Tracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2022 10:25 PM

The "Oh, dear" troll is having an orgasim on this thread...

(See what I did there?)

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2022 10:25 PM

Yes she was. I made a video of it and showed it on Facebook before it was banned.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2022 10:38 PM

A few years ago I was watching old Highway Patrol reruns on METV and noticed an actress who didn't fit. Good person or villain most 50s television actresses had a harsh sharp edge to them. This lady was attractive. Looking her up that's when I found the story of Judy Nelson's family heritage.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2022 11:00 PM

She was fucked up by the Catholic Church. I doubt if she were really raped. I believe that she felt such crushing guilt from lying to her daughter and everyone else for so long that she had to deny that she committed adultery.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote] Can anyone confirm whether or not Gable killed someone while driving drunk?

Snopes debunked that rumor thoroughly. He did not kill anyone while drunk driving.

It was widely known on the set of "Call of the Wild" that Young and Gable were hot for each other. That date rape story is bogus.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]That date rape story is bogus.

Created to keep Young's reputation as a "good Catholic girl" intact.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2022 12:12 AM

I guess we'll never really know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2022 12:48 AM

It doesn't warrant an Oh Dear when you purposely set out to get an Oh Dear, r11.

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2022 12:53 AM

Judy Lewis' autobiography is nicely written and very enjoyable. She certainly had a story to tell and seemed like a very decent person.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2022 1:52 AM

@r18

" Oh Dear"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2022 3:00 AM

Holy shit at R9

What is described at R10, this type of realization, is something that can happen to men and women alike, and not only to old folk. I don't know about Gable and Young ever being in love, but even if this was so, or, especially, had at one time been so (but not anymore), a lot of times sex is not a given or something automatic for women; I don't know why.

If what is said at R10 holds any truth to it, girlfriend was raped. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2022 6:46 PM

[quote] We talked about it, and it didn’t make her angry at him, it just gave her a new frame that I think lifted a lot of her guilt.”

I think this whole Loretta Young date raped by Clark Gable story is the result of exactly that: guilt. An attempt to make Loretta Young NOT guilty of having consensual sex with a married man and getting pregnant from it. It was not HER fault she got pregnant. She was raped so the sex and the pregnancy was not HER fault. It's obviously an attempt by her biographer and her daughter in law to make Gable the bad one and Loretta the good one. To make HIM the guilty party. But in all likelihood they simply were very attracted to each other (both of them gorgeous movie stars) and had an affair.

Men who "date rape" women usually don't stop at one. So why haven't there been any other women, not one (and Gable has sex with LOTS of women of all types), who has come forward with tales of Clark Gable raping them? Seems to me there would have been tales of his behavior in that regard long before the Loretta Young revelation. But there were none.

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2022 11:46 PM

True dat R22. We've heard stories about Kirk Douglas, who obviously was a pig. Never heard anything about Clark making a habit out of it.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote] Kirk Douglas, who obviously was a pig

Yes, Demsky was a very angry pig.

Demsky financed 'Spartacus' because William Wyler didn't let him have the lead role in Ben-Hur.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2022 1:45 AM

Girls, girls. 80 years later and y'all caught up in the studios' PR machines. Gable was an invaluable asset. We don't know fuck all about some of the most egregious things that happened back then, involving people we may not even suspect.

He might have raped Loretta Young, or it might be bull. We don't know. Like most of you, I love to speculate. But this is a tough one. I could actually see it being true. I wish someone who was in the loop at that time and still alive today, and who'd preferably been friends with neither, could tell us more. But I don't know that there is such a person, and if there were, whether they'd spill.

Intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2022 1:58 AM

But the even bigger question is did Rhett rape Scarlett? Or it was it a seduction? She really loved it no matter what it was.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2022 1:59 AM

Rhett didn't rape Scarlett. Girlfriend couldn't wait to hit that.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2022 2:03 AM

I would love to be carried upstairs and be ravished by a good looking man if it was consensual.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2022 2:19 AM

The idea of Clark Gable as a date rapist is pretty laughable. He would never have had to coerce a woman to have sex with him. Joan Blondell said "He affected all females, unless they were dead."

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2022 2:27 AM

Clark Gable's breath smelled according to Vivien Leigh because of his dentures.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2022 2:30 AM

That's mere blather, r29. You're taking obvious hyperbole and taking it as the gospel truth.

Ostensibly sexy charismatic men in fact rape women just like unsexy uncharismatic men do. Rape is not about sex; rape is about asserting power.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2022 6:00 AM

Uh, you can love someone and even be hot for someone and still be raped by that person.

I believe her. She was VERY devoutly Catholic. I think he used her.

And, Gable wasn't that swell of a guy. He married older, rich women to finance his career climb then dumped them when he no longer had need for them. Let a few gays suck his dick, too if necessary. Refused to acknowledge Judy. Treated most of his women like shit except Lombard because she was a tough cookie but if she hadn't died, he probably would have dumped her once she started getting "too old" for him.

He was your typical dick actor.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2022 6:59 AM

[quote] Ostensibly sexy charismatic men in fact rape women just like unsexy uncharismatic men do. Rape is not about sex; rape is about asserting power.

Oh, give it a fucking rest! Shut the fuck up! You and your ilk keep spouting the same old shit. You poor things just keep yammering on and on. Clark Gable was a screen idol that all women lusted after. He was known as one of the most likeable people in Hollywood, "the man who did not know how to hate", according to Arthur Miller. In none of Gable's biographies was he ever revealed as a rapist or abuser of women. After Gable was gone no woman ever came forward to say that he raped her. And of course there were witnesses on the set of "Call of the Wild" who noticed how much Young and Gable were into each other and the director's claim that they were "very friendly" and that Gable was absent from the set spending time with Young, which held up filming. And also, Young starred another film with Gable years later, as his love interest. Despite you silly twats continue to scream "BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE DIDN'T RAPE HER!" Sorry, but there's too much evidence to the contrary. Young and Gable were lovers. Two Hollywood stars who enjoyed each other but unfortunately it resulted in an unplanned pregnancy. That's all there was to it.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2022 6:45 PM

It wasn't rape-rape!

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2022 6:56 PM

[quote] He was your typical dick actor

Obviously you know nothing about him. He never treated women like shit. He had no relationship with Judy Lewis because if it had come out he was her father it would have ruined both his and Loretta Young's careers. He was well liked by everyone who knew him. You're totally ignorant about Gable.

[quote] I believe her. She was VERY devoutly Catholic. I think he used her.

You don't believer HER. You believe what somebody said she said. It's called "hearsay." Hearsay evidence is often inadmissible in a courtroom setting. Generally speaking, hearsay cannot be used as evidence at trial. It's not exactly truthful.

The scenario of Loretta Young supposedly trying to fend off the advances of Clark Gable, the King of Hollywood, a man who was irresistible to women, is pretty funny: "Oh no, Clark, don't. Please don't. I'm a good Catholic girl. i could never have sex with you. Please stop. Please don't. I'm a good Catholic girl." HAHAHA! Yeah, I'm sure THAT really happened.

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2022 6:57 PM

THis is first time I have heard the date rape story and it's absurd. First of all, Loretta, in her 80s, tells someone that date rape had happened to her, but didn't say by whom. It could have been her first husband, who treated her very badly, or someone else. All I had ever heard was how she and Gable had fallen in love on location in '35. And supposedly he visited her when she was pregnant. Judy talks about him visiting her once when she was a teen, and Loretta did a another movie with him 15 years later. I also heard that she wanted desperately to marry Tracy (whether she actually slept with him, I have no idea) but he wouldn't leave his wife for her.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2022 7:30 PM

He stood up for Hattie McDaniel when it counted.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote] He stood up for Hattie McDaniel when it counted.

Yes, he did. He was a GOOD guy. A nice man. Highly unlikely he was a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2022 1:25 AM

So a rapist can't stand up for a person?

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2022 4:53 PM

[quote] So a rapist can't stand up for a person?

Oh shut up, you twat. I guess you think that every man on this earth is a potential rapist. You're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2022 8:36 PM

Calm down, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2022 8:52 PM

I think it's you and your ilk who needs to calm down, R41.

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2022 10:22 PM

Describe my "ilk", R42.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2022 10:42 PM

[quote] I would love to be carried upstairs and be ravished by a good looking man if it was consensual.

Especially when wearing my best red velvet floor-length gown.

by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote] Describe my "ilk"

The ones who insist that no matter how unlikely it is that Clark Gable was a rapist (and there's no real evidence he was) HE WAS STILL CAPABLE OF RAPE! Because every man on the earth is a potential rapist., no matter how desirable to women he might be, not matter how out of character it would be for him to assault women. Right? Wrong! That's just what nuts like you believe.

by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2022 11:38 PM

You are confusing me with someone else, R45. Also, seek help. Your anger is out of control.

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2022 11:57 PM

Gable was a real peach...just ask George Cukor

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote] Your anger is out of control.

Hon, you're the one with your frilly pink panties in a bunch.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2022 12:50 AM

I can’t remember where I read it but Bette Davis heard that gable had made disparaging comments about her looks, so Davis started telling people gable didn’t wash his foreskin, which is what someone that blew him told her.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2022 12:56 AM

Maybe she was black out drunk?

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2022 1:12 AM

R48 thinks I'm this very specific character / personality that he created inside his head.

Tell me more. Who am I? What do I like?

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2022 3:54 AM

They went away together for a long weekend at some point during the shooting. If you don't find yourself in the throes of passion wanting to fuck you've got to be dead. Loretta was a life long liar and a hypocritical Catholic to boot. The lie at the end of her life was so she could go to her maker with a spotless soul. Believe me Catholic really believe that shit.

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2022 12:01 PM

That doesn't mean she wasn't one of the great beauties and an extremely good actor which I believe she was. Watch Platinum Blond and the beyond belief pre code nutty Zoo in Budapest with gorgeous photography where Gene Raymond plays an animal rights activist before PETA.

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2022 12:05 PM

I don't think she was much of an actress early on, but boy was she beautful. By the mid-40's she really came into her own and gave some really wonderful performances.

by Anonymousreply 54March 1, 2022 6:32 PM

Always a limited actress IMO. But yes, beautiful. I did enjoy The Stranger with Orson Welles.

by Anonymousreply 55March 1, 2022 7:03 PM

I don't think Gable had to twist her arm to get her to have sex with him. Loretta was hot to trot and really liked the men. Nothing wrong with that. The date rape story is just hooey.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2022 1:32 AM

Here's 5 bucks, Loretta. Go fuck yourself!

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2022 1:39 AM

Judy's book was called "Common Knowledge" which is what her fiance told her about the fact that Gable was her father. It was also common knowledge that Young and Gable had a wild passionate affair during "Call of the Wild." In fact they were snowed in for a while and weren't too upset about the fact. And it was common knowledge that her first husband treated her badly, and for all we know (as someone said earlier in this thread) could have been talking about that, in terms of date rape.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2022 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!