Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Morbidly Obese Bear Has Broken into 28 Homes in Lake Tahoe

Nicknamed "Hank the Tank" by locals, he weighs an estimated 200 lbs. (!) more than the average black bear -- from eating human food & garbage. (or garbage human food, if you prefer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2022 9:42 PM

200 lbs is svelte for the bears I know.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2022 11:32 PM

Fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2022 11:33 PM

Please stop with these cruel jokes. I have not broken into 28 homes. It was just 23, and I was looking to put on some weight for my hibernation period, which was right after Friends: The Reunion, in May of 2021, to my shaggy appearance in The U.S. Sun, February 11th, 2022. I can't help it. I like leftover pizza and porridge. I am fine and send my love.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2022 11:56 PM

His name is Brad Kalvo

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2022 12:28 AM

Sadly, they are going to kill the poor fellow.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2022 12:36 AM

When wild animals like that no longer fear humans, they usually kill them.

He may get some sort of reprieve as long as he doesn't actually attack a person. But, game over if he attacks a person while on one of his foraging expeditions.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2022 12:48 AM

Apparently, the Tahoe Keys neighborhood HOA (where Hank has been hanging out a lot) prohibits residents to have Bear Boxes -- animal-resistant garbage-can enclosures -- because they are "unsightly". Idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2022 12:53 AM

The Gayle Grinds of the animal kingdom!

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2022 1:01 AM

Ugh I wish they could relocate him to a sanctuary. Poor guy. It’s not his fault and I feel so sad for animals in this situation. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2022 1:01 AM

Can someone post his picture alongside a recent one of Lens Dunham

TIA

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2022 1:06 AM

Is the plan to kill him? That's so unnecessary. Surely something else can be done to remedy this situation. Killing him would be so cruel.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote]That's so unnecessary

Sadly R11, it is necessary. This is a 200 pound wild animal that now associates food with trash cans.

It won't take long for a person to try to get between Hank and their trashcan, and Hank will win, because he doesn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2022 1:11 AM

Another DL icon is born!

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2022 1:26 AM

OP- This is a GREAT BIG FAT BEAR not a great big fat person.

There was an episode of the Munster's when Herman is on a diet and he's strapped down in the dungeon so he's not tempted to fall off of his diet on Thanksgiving. He breaks out of the straps and goes out of the house down the street to a family having their Thanksgiving meal , sits down at the table and demands - PASS THE CRANBERRY SAUCE- he was a GREAT BIG FAT FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2022 1:31 AM

This must be the BEAR KING we keep hearing so much about.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2022 1:43 AM

Godzilla v. Kong, as is its wont, provides solutions to all of life's conundrums.

Lure him to a net with the strength to hold several hundred pounds. Catch him, her or whatever its preferred pronoun.

Three or four helicopters should do the trick to haul it deep into the Land of Heavy Set Bears.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2022 1:47 AM

He’ll make one hell of a rug.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2022 1:51 AM

I had to do a second glance. First glance registered Kirstie Alley.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2022 1:55 AM

R9 & R11: A few sanctuaries have offered to take Hank when captured. The California Dept of Fish & Wildlife is still evaluating. Here's a part of their most recent statement (from link):

[quote]“While the Lake Tahoe area has a healthy and dense bear population, euthanizing an animal is always our last option. CDFW is currently evaluating the possibility of placement of this bear when captured. As detailed in our recently updated Black Bear Policy in California, there are several requirements that must be met to consider placement of a wild adult black bear.”

[quote]“Placement of adult black bears can have significant negative consequences on their mental health and must be considered when evaluating placement options. To quote from our Black Bear Policy: ‘Adult bears may be poor candidates for placement due to the chronic stress of adjusting to captivity after living in only wild conditions.’ To be considered, placement facilities must be accredited, have necessary state and federal permits to receive animals, and meet CDFW’s standards for quality of facilities. At the time of this post, CDFW has not identified a placement option for this bear that meets the criteria of the Black Bear Policy.”

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2022 1:57 AM

Does Hangry Hank come with a big dwong

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2022 1:57 AM

link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2022 1:58 AM

Damn, I hope they don't kill him. What an awful, awful thing to do, to end an animal's life just because he's, through no fault of his own, come to associate humans with a food source. It's us humans who are encroaching on his territory.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2022 2:06 AM

What's in his snack purse?

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2022 2:13 AM

[quote} it is necessary.

Can't the tranquilize him and take him to another location? Better to do that than just kill the poor animal who is just being a bear.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2022 3:21 AM

Please, please, don't let him be . . . . .

Too late.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2022 3:35 AM

Weight Watchers could use this bear as a spokesbear. Fergie and Oprah are too high brow.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2022 3:37 AM

Have they tried hiding his CPAP machine? If he doesn't get a good night's rest then he'll be too tired to forage in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2022 3:37 AM

In case you're curious he's on Growlr and Grommr as TahoeTank, and he identifies as a super chub, gainer and encourager.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2022 3:42 AM

Ok bitches. Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2022 4:17 AM

"There goes my hero..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2022 4:25 AM

already a thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2022 5:01 AM

[quote]It's us humans who are encroaching on his territory.

The bear should be left alone. It's HIS home that's been invaded by humans. THEY should be shot/moved.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2022 5:06 AM

They like bears a lot in China, they would pay $$$$ for a big bear.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2022 2:17 PM

If there’s not a facility that meets their Black Bear policies, then one of those activist celebrities should erect one or bring a sub-standard one up to code and then pay for Hank’s transfer.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2022 2:26 PM

Angus T. Jones really let himself go, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2022 2:27 PM

This reporting is incredibly bigoted. This gentle bear of size & color was simply seeking delicious reparations from the colonizers that stole the land this bear's proud ancestors called "home".

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2022 2:30 PM

Don’t mess with a hungry fat bear. He’ll twerk until you throw food at him.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2022 2:33 PM

He really is magnificent…

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2022 2:34 PM

He is 500 lbs not 200.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2022 2:47 PM

Has Nikocado Avocado been accounted for?

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2022 2:50 PM

Just some Restorative Justice program will cure his recidivism. He's a good bear and planned to enroll in college in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2022 2:51 PM

Fatt LeBlanc must be breathing a sigh of relief.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2022 2:53 PM

My brother is a long time resident of Lake Tahoe. He says that many if not most locals are outraged at the proposal to kill Hank and are advocating for his capture and relocation. If the authorities do kill him, things will get ugly. There are many many bears in the area who break into houses, raid garbage cans, etc. Hank is just particularly adept. My brother had to lock his freezer which was kept in his garage, because the bears figured out how to break in and would open the freezer to eat the ice cream. This, after raiding the pantry where large jars of Costco peanut butter were stored. They are a nuisance but they were there first.

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2022 3:05 PM

[quote] The bear should be left alone. It's HIS home that's been invaded by humans. THEY should be shot/moved.

Black bears aren't native to Southern California. 27 black bears were captured in the Yosemite area and released into the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains in 1933 (by the California Fish And Game Service). Grizzlies were in the region for thousands of years but in the 1800s began to be a menace to farmers. The last grizzly in the region was killed in SoCal in 1908.

I'm not sure why the black bears were introduced, but they sometimes have invaded yards and even attacked humans, occasionally, in places like the greater Pasadena area.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2022 3:06 PM

How do you trap a gay bear?

With cheesecake and a Golden Girls marathon.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2022 3:26 PM

R43. Yes, it's great to not want the bear killed. Then residents have two choices. One is that they accept the damages that Hank does, stop filing police reports and learn bear management skills so that residents will be able to remove the bear from their premises without the need of costly law enforcement involvement (F&G are a branch of LE).

The second choice is for the local town/jurisdiction to file a levy on all residents to pay for the construction of a proper sanctuary for Hank, as there is no local sanctuary that can accept a 500 lb bear.

See how easy it would be for Tahoe residents to save this bear? Oh, but they will have to sacrifice their property and pay for this.

Hank will be killed due to the locals not caring enough to pay for his rescue.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2022 6:31 PM

Let's all pray that Hank won't be killed. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2022 6:35 PM

That’s some good blubber.

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2022 6:55 PM

Why not get those nice Trump boys to shoot Hank dead?

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2022 6:59 PM

Was he a big fat animal?

Yes sir, he wuz a big bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2022 7:30 PM

Looks who's on the California state flag. Hank's a State Treasure who deserves relocation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2022 7:53 PM

It's 500 lbs not 200 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2022 7:59 PM

Everyone who wants to save the bear , i volunteer you to be the committee that catches him. First you smear yourself with peanut butter grab a net and wah laaa

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2022 8:11 PM

DL needs to set up a GoFundMe to save our new DL mascot, the BEAR KING.

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2022 1:04 AM

Is this BEARKING NEWS?

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2022 1:07 AM

R51:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2022 10:39 PM

BEARKING NEWS: A reprieve for Hank the Tank!

DNA evidence proves that at least two other (fat) bears committed some of the break-ins attributed to Hank. The article is in the Sacramento Bee (which DL won't allow me to link).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2022 11:24 PM

Bearking and Entering perpetrated by other bears!

How embearrassing for his accuser!

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2022 11:37 PM

J'adore these fat whores.

by Anonymousreply 59February 26, 2022 6:59 PM

That bear is undoubtedly suffering from anorexia nervosa!

by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2022 8:12 PM

It's more of a "Woot Woot, Motherfuckers! I'm a bear!" situation at this point and I condone it.

I also want free range American badgers on meth.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2022 9:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!