Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don’t Look Now

Don’t

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 22, 2024 3:40 AM

Aka Don't Trust Little People

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2022 10:45 PM

OH MY GOD. My absolute favorite.

A CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2022 11:00 PM

R2 is it worth a view?

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2022 11:01 PM

Yes, R3. Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2022 11:02 PM

Do you think, R3, that R2 would say no, it isn't?

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2022 11:02 PM

R3, it's a great horror film, but it's become infamous for a very long sex scene between Sutherland and Christie. It's very erotic and daring to see two stars seem to really have sex on screen, but it does distract from the rest of the movie since there's really no point to it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2022 11:03 PM

I didn't look then.

Why would I want to look now?

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2022 11:08 PM

I don't think scenes need necessarily have a point to exist in a movie, but the sex scene was there because it was showing that couple having a tender, intimate moment before all hell breaks loose for them. It was there as a kind of falsely lulling moment.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2022 11:08 PM

R3- Its in my TOP 20 of all time. YES!!!! Julie Christie!!!!!!!!!

I own maybe 30 DVD's- and this is one of them

(Jackie Brown, all of the Halloweens, and John Cassavetes- INCLUDING Love Streams are included in that little collection)

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2022 11:11 PM

Is Audrey Landers in this one as Donna?

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2022 11:12 PM

It's more than just showing them having a tender moment, it's them finally re-connecting as a loving couple in a passionate, intimate, sexual relationship that had had pretty much been lost since the death of their daughter. They're finding their way back to each other and are possibly ready to move on, except that the father isn't quite ready. He's still obsessed and wracked with guilt and self-hatred, which ultimately becomes his undoing.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2022 11:12 PM

I absolutely love Julie Christie, and she's beautiful in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2022 11:13 PM

That too, R11.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2022 11:13 PM

I like to make love on a bearskin rug in front of my fireplace after my boyfriends and I have filled our bellies with ham.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2022 11:20 PM

A handful (or two) of late 60s/mid-70s movies defined my cinematic taste and expectations: Don't Look Now, Chinatown, Network. Bonnie and Cldye, Nashville, 3 Women, Straw Dogs, Midnight Cowboy, Tom Jones, The Whisperers, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Today's Marvel crap and other comic book movies leave me cold.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2022 11:23 PM

Okay- take it to the Welshley Arms Roger and Virginia Klarvin. R14!

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2022 11:23 PM

R15- Chinatown and 3 Women are all I need! Nashville was a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2022 11:24 PM

The original Sixth Sense.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2022 11:26 PM

Will I shit my pants?

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2022 11:30 PM

You might, R19.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2022 11:30 PM

That ending scared the FUCK outta me the first time I saw it. Was not expecting that.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2022 11:37 PM

Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2022 11:37 PM

In my top ten favorite films of all time; maybe even too five. It’s just perfect in every way IMO. The visual storytelling techniques used throughout it were truly unique for the time. Great acting too, and a truly oppressive atmosphere— Venice just oozes off the screen in every frame. Nic Roeg had his share of misfires, but this is his masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2022 3:34 AM

Greatest music for a final scene of all time.

Incredibly devastating after the final murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2022 3:37 AM

I saw it with a packed audience when it was first released in 1973 and that incredibly sensual love scene had everyone practically sweating when it was over.

Julie was dating Warren Beatty at the time and he reportedly felt uncomfortable when he saw the love scene. Donald Sutherland never looked better in a film, btw.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2022 3:45 AM

There's a real cinematic beauty to the film's opening. The entire film strikes the balance between beautiful and disturbing, sensual and mysterious. Very dark undertone to all.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2022 4:25 AM

One of my all-time favorites. Like a previous poster, I don't own all that many DVDs but this is one. I need to dig it up and rewatch it.

[quote]Today's Marvel crap and other comic book movies leave me cold.

Oh go fuck yourself. You people who think they are above it all by dumping on Marvel movies are just pretentious cunts. It's possible for all types of movies to exist. Marvel produced 21 movies leading up to the most successful movie of all time. A few were bad, a few were mediocre, most were very good to excellent. That you don't like them is fine. They are not for everyone. But they are not "crap." Spaghetti westerns were dismissed as crap in the 60s and now several are acclaimed as classics.

But like the Meghan haters, you can't help yourself and fuck up every movie thread by shitting on Marvel movies. So fuck off.

And now, let's get back to "Don't Look Now", and consider that Donald Sutherland was never even nominated for an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2022 4:38 AM

should have been titled Death in Venice

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2022 4:46 AM

Actually it should have been titled Beware the Dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2022 5:32 AM

No R29 that would have been too much of a spoiler!

by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2022 5:49 AM

I love this movie, except the reveal at the end. Too random and seems to come from nowhere. Disappoints me in that it is so freakish but not at all really connected to what seems like the mystery at the heart of the film. I'm curious what others think of this ending. It's very startling but I feel let down.

by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2022 6:44 AM

Why hasn't this film been cancelled yet?

A little person as the villain, no trans women of colour in the cast and too much sex.

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2022 7:24 AM

You mean Peter Dinklage hasn't called for its negative to be burned yet?

by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2022 8:49 AM

R28 Funny that the Chinese title of the film is indeed Death in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2022 8:50 AM

"But like the Meghan haters, you can't help yourself and fuck up every movie thread by shitting on Marvel movies. So fuck off."

Why do people who hate Meghan Markle hate Marvel movies? She's not like Wondra Girl or whatever, is she?

It seems like there's a million actors involved in these movies now.

And though I mostly hate all that Marvel Universe crap, I was bummed when they cancelled Jessica Jones. I like that actress.

Also I really enjoyed the Jon Cena show with the eagle. Though they need to stop talking about how he likes to fuck dudes and actually show us something.

Doesn't have to be graphic. But it should at least be like the gay lovers on the Ryan Murphy Lone Star show.

So as someone who hates most of the Marvel output, and really doesn't give a shit about Meghan Markle on way or another, I'm totally not getting your bizarre false equivalency.

I mean, lots of white people in those Marvel movies. Not all, thank god. But not really getting why it would be racist to hate Marvel movies?

Or why it makes you snobby if you don't like a certain kind of formulaic crap?

I mean I love those cheesy by the numbers by the numbers murder mysteries the BBC churns out.

I mean, I watch Father Brown. That is not some high concept shit. I'm even watching the one with the nun.

You know how much they talk about Mrs. McCarthy's strawberry scones in those shows? Would it really kill them to not mention it in one episode?

But I like it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2022 11:18 AM

R27 I've seen a few Marvel movies and I am entitled to an opinion about what I've seen. So, fuck you, too.

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2022 2:50 PM

"Too random and seems to come from nowhere."

R33, it doesn't come from nowhere. The danger in the form of other murders was carefully placed throughout the movie.

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2022 3:14 PM

Supposedly they really did it.

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2022 4:22 PM

Sutherland has long denied that.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2022 4:25 PM

Sutherland is for me an odd actor, but I always enjoy him on some level at least, and he's often quite good overall, excellent even. And he has a great voice, even dubbed on Castilian in the version I watched today, they got something of the essence of his voice.

Any film in which the setting is afforded the importance of a main character holds my attention, and it's great to see Venice in the narrowly framed views of the city on foot.

It's a great film that holds up well, Sutherland and Christie very much so, and those scary sisters as well.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2022 8:59 PM

Didn’t Christie and Sutherland actually fuck in that scone?

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2022 9:06 PM

[quote]A handful (or two) of late 60s/mid-70s movies defined my cinematic taste and expectations: Don't Look Now, Chinatown, Network. Bonnie and Cldye, Nashville, 3 Women, Straw Dogs, Midnight Cowboy, Tom Jones, The Whisperers, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

You seem to have quite large hands r15.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2022 9:14 PM

R41, that was asked already, a mere 2 posts above you, dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2022 9:21 PM

You assholes - I watched this 20 years ago and didn't like it, but you convinced to watch it again today (I had forgotten the whole thing). It was horrible - long, boring, nothing happens and the "incredible scared-the-fuck-out-of-me" ending was just stupid. What a waste of time!

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2022 11:20 PM

The blind will always be disappointed when they try to look at rainbows, r44.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2022 11:22 PM

Well, R44, there's no accounting for taste, or lack of it.

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2022 11:25 PM

R42 I give excellent handjobs/massages but we are separated by a digital divide.

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2022 11:28 PM

This should have been the movie's theme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2022 11:30 PM

Well, the buildings and alleyways in Venice were beautiful to see. That's the only worthwhile part of this film.

by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2022 12:57 AM

I need to rewatch this. Would be a good double feature with "The Haunting of Julia."

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2022 1:08 AM

Damn scary film

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2022 1:33 AM

Yes, you do, R50. It's an excellent movie.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2022 1:33 AM

There are images from this movie that will be in my brain until I die.

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2022 2:42 AM

For generally literate DL, I’m surprised no one seems to have mentioned the eponymous novella by Daphne du Maurier on which the film was based

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2022 3:43 AM

R53, Which could be any day now.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2022 11:57 AM

Love the movie, except for the sex scene. I fast forward through Sutherland's unappealing naked body.

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2022 12:43 PM

I always find it so ironic that the husband, who is portrayed as such a hardcore unbelieving atheist about anything supernatural, actually turns out to be the one with the clairvoyant power

Which in turn serves as his ultimate downfall

Moral of the story: belittling your ‘gifts’ is a bad idea…?

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2022 2:24 PM

They weren't having real sex in the movie, but they were in real life.

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2022 7:58 PM

I believe Julie Christie claimed (privately to someone she confided to) that during the love scene Sutherland( a committed "Method Actor) had an erection and pushed himself inside her and she was completely traumatized by it. To add insult to injury, after being assaulted in front of a set full of people, the director used the take in the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2022 9:23 PM

My favorite scene was when Julie tells her Donald that's she's ok, and she really is. And JC's face was open and radiant. And that's how actors get people to love them.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2022 9:30 PM

Where do you believe you heard that one, R59?

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2022 10:12 PM

I just watched this again tonight for the umpteenth time (Criterion just re-released it on 4K, which I bought since I never got around to getting the Studio Canal release). It is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Compelling performances, sophisticated cinematography and editing, a straightforward plot made to seem anything but, and SO much atmosphere. I just find the entire thing completely bewitching from start to finish. I also don't agree RE Donald Sutherland's naked body. He has a very "normal" body in this film, which I find kind of hot. I always thought it was mean the way Julie Christie's character pointed out that he had "lumps" coming back on his sides.

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2023 1:55 AM

Terrific film and Christie never better.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2023 1:58 AM

Look now.

Do.

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2023 2:25 AM

I've always found 1970s Donald Sutherland incredibly sexy

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2023 2:32 AM

Agreed R65. He is not the template for "conventionally handsome", but my taste in men is admittedly offbeat. Being tall, a bit bookish/refined, and masculine goes a long way—plus, that voice. I also thought he was attractive in Klute, a couple of years before he made Don't Look Now.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2023 2:51 AM

2024 bump

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2024 8:56 PM

R10 you may NOT rearrange Kris’ pussy lips because they are making you feel uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2024 8:59 PM

[quote]Any film in which the setting is afforded the importance of a main character holds my attention, and it's great to see Venice in the narrowly framed views of the city on foot.

I couldn't agree more, R40, even if you exist in the fog of 2022. It's a fantastic film and full of curious moments and choices, but the setting in Venice is perfect. The city couldn't be more of a character.

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2024 10:06 PM

Just the thought of going to Venice terrifies me. Because of THIS MOVIE.

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote] Is 2022 the new 2015 on Datalounge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 22, 2024 3:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!