Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Crawford instead of Deborah Kerr in From Here to Eternity

Joan should have starred in this movie instead. The role was meant for an older woman in the first place and Joan could easily have netted a 4th Oscar nomination. I've heard so many rumors about why she left the role, ranging from wanting a different wardrobe to wanting her own cameraman.

Is it true she left the role when they wouldn't give her top billing and wouldn't increase her part by cutting out the military stuff?

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2022 2:51 AM

OP, you may find this thread of interest in that it discusses the recast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2022 9:05 PM

Same for this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2022 9:05 PM

The ingénue fucks the director, the star fucks the cinematographer.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2022 9:05 PM

R2 Thank you for the links.

I've also read that Rita Hayworth was considered a replacement. I guess we got to see the Hayworth/Lancaster pairing a few years later in Separate Tables.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2022 9:11 PM

Double my fee and I'll think about it.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2022 9:14 PM

[quote] I've also read that Rita Hayworth was considered a replacement.

The thread I linked at R2 has a few posts about the potential Hayworth replacement.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2022 9:24 PM

Maybe Rita Hayworth could have played Lorene the hooker, Donna Reed seemed a bit off to me.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2022 9:29 PM

Donna Reed always seemed like such a bland actress to me. I have no idea how she won an Oscar for this movie. Not convincing at all.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2022 11:17 PM

R6 Thanks, I saw that afterwards. Rita of course ended up remaking Joan's Rain as Miss Sadie Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2022 11:18 PM

Holy shit, I had no idea it starred both Deborah Kerr and Donna Reed. All these years I thought I was just getting one confused with the other.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2022 12:27 AM

R8, She dyed her hair black and used a swear word. I guess that was pretty radical for the time.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2022 12:52 AM

Joan should've campaigned to play Burt Lancaster's role.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2022 2:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!