Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Golden Girls sets rendered in 3D.

Absolutely amazing. Shame the artist didn't render the bedrooms or the bathroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2022 6:31 AM

Id love to have those !

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2022 4:55 AM

I remember spending hours trying to design a house in the sims that would match the layout presented on the show, it was fucking impossible.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2022 5:15 AM

If you could buy a 3d printed model, I almost think I might.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2022 5:50 AM

This is resin, right?

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2022 5:54 AM

Very cool, OP. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2022 6:24 AM

R1 R3 R4 These are actually 3D images. The attention to detail is remarkable. The fact that the lanai is literally right next to the front door on the front lawn further illustrates the logic defying absurdity of the sets.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the producers didn't want to add a second floor to the house for all of the bedrooms because they didn't want the actors constantly going up and down stairs.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2022 7:43 AM

[quote] If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the producers didn't want to add a second floor to the house for all of the bedrooms because they didn't want the actors constantly going up and down stairs.

For me, since I watched this show with my grandmother when I was a child when it was on the air--and we lived in Miami--it added to the verisimilitude. Most single family homes in Miami at that time were one-story spread-out ranch style. The only detail that was glaringly unusual was that I never saw (for have I ever seen) a backdoor like the Girls had in their kitchen.

(I also noticed that the model is inspired before Stable Mabel shot the vase.)

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2022 7:50 AM

There should be a traveling exhibition with entire recreated sets from tv shows. Kind of like the 'Bodies' exhibit but for dummies like me.

They could include The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeanie (inside her bottle,) Mary Tyler Moore (either her apartment or the newsroom,) Sanford and Son, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Alice, The Cosby Show, The Golden Girls, Roseanne, Seinfeld, Frasier, Friends, etc. And if they have a lot of room they can include the mansions from Beverly Hillbillies, Fresh Prince, and The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2022 8:57 AM

The person did a great job. My only gripe is that almost every image is from an angle similar to the ones from which the cameras shot, and so they show us basically the same perspective we see throughout the series. I'd like to see the rooms from the actors' vantage points, to see down the hallway into the bedrooms and into the living room, etc. That would add a lot more interest IMO.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2022 9:46 AM

R9 I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2022 10:32 AM

2 problems with the end results here =

1 = The area behind the wall phone should be a small 6 by6 laundry room with a back door at the end of the walkway.

2 = The back porch area wasn't viewable from the front house view (from the road).

The house had mature trees/bushes on that side of the house so the designer needs to put some trees/bushes there for the added privacy the girls had from guests coming to the front door area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2022 10:43 AM

This CGI set should be the setting of season two of And Just Like That...

The women move to Miami and get involved with community activities. Charlotte works at an art gallery, of course; Carrie is a substitute English teacher; and Miranda teaches gender-fluid chickens to tap dance and play the piano.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2022 10:46 AM

Shrimp??

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2022 10:58 AM

R13 One of the best single-word performances ever! Just reading the word in context of the show makes me laugh and I can hear and visualize the whole scene—Blanche walking into the kitchen feeling ashamed, walking out with the platter, doing her drive-by offensive offering, seeing Rose and Dr. Jonathan standing there.

I thought all the actresses were great when I was a child except I never appreciated Rue, and now I think she was the standout in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2022 11:01 AM

R11 The rendering is attempting to recreate how the full sets would have looked from the actors and studio audience POV.

You can see how the GG' hallway defies the laws of physics, because there is a clear view of a garden through the kitchen window when you ought to be seeing the outer walls of bedrooms.

I'm not sure if that laundry room was always designated as such, or if it actually changed purposes on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2022 11:41 AM

[quote] The only detail that was glaringly unusual was that I never saw (for have I ever seen) a backdoor like the Girls had in their kitchen.

In the very first episode, there was a housekeeper names Coco. Apparently, there is another bedroom in the kitchen corner. After the first episode, Coco was fired and Ma moved into Coco's room..

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2022 11:53 AM

Clearly the house was designed by M.C. Escher. None of it makes a lick of sense, and honestly that house was HUGE for its time and place. The kitchen alone was enormous by 1980s standards.

But I will say, for exterior shots, the house in Brentwood was a reasonable stand-in for suburban Miami.

I grew up in Miami in the mid/late 70s to late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2022 12:24 PM

Can he do the Mama's Family set next? Both the NBC and Syndicated versions?

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2022 12:56 PM

R8 The Smithsonian should create a wing dedicated to that. They already hold such items as Archie Bunker's chair.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2022 3:25 PM

R15 I recall early episodes of the show had large apartment buildings easily seen out the kitchen window.

A garden would've been an improvement over their horrible appearance.

I still have my binoculars but many up in there close their blinds/curtains on me.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2022 5:56 PM

R15 I would imagine that was because the kitchen set was reused from a previous show set in Chicago. I guess they didn't even change out the view from the window.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2022 12:33 AM

Why is it so important for so many of you that beloved sitcoms be made [italic]real?[/italic] Or at least be made as real as possible.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2022 12:35 AM

I just think it'd be cool to see the sets, not live in the shows.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2022 12:51 AM

Looking at all those set shots actually made me smile -- it's like gay man's televisual "comfort food." I'm fascinated by that stuff about imagining iconic shows' sets as they may have looked and been assembled had they been actual physical locations.

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2022 2:57 AM

Someone in Texas built a Munsters house. It was a replica of their house on the show. That was pretty cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2022 3:05 AM

Even cooler than this ^ is the total rehab of the house in California that was used for exterior shots on The Brady Bunch to the interior of the house on the show.

I'm well aware all dl queens have seen this already but I'm posting it again for this thread so don't hit me over the head with links to previous threads about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2022 3:09 AM

R24 Not just gay men, Golden Girls was one of the most streamed shows in January and continues to to be in the top 20 according to Neilson streaming figures. That's insane for show that has been off the air for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2022 4:12 AM

I have tons of friends, gay straight whatever, who comfort watch Golden Girls all the time. A married female friend of mine falls asleep to the show every single night. We are older millennials and it is all of us

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2022 5:10 AM

I never saw that there was a fireplace tucked way in the back of the living room. That location makes no sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2022 5:14 AM

R27 Because it one of the few shows we have left that all age groups love. If anyone between 8-108 are trying to decide what to watch for a laugh they know they can't go wrong with GG.

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2022 5:18 AM

Golden Girls is in the same league as I Love Lucy, Gillian's Island and Brady Bunch. Sitcoms that just never die.

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2022 3:38 PM

Move in this house and you'll die an agonizing death.

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2022 9:51 AM

If anyone moves into that house they won't have a bedroom (the fake hallway could be converted into one), bathroom, laundry room or garage. But at least the refrigerator will be magically stocked full with a neverending supply of cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2022 3:56 AM

The Metaverse is ready for Queens.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2022 4:09 AM

R31 and Three’s Company. It’s even on IFC now with shows that are about 30 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2022 5:09 AM

There used to be a replica of the house at Disney's MGM studios, and you could take photos of it. But they demolished it a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2022 5:32 AM

But he didn't render the exclamation point in the wood grain of the front door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2022 6:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!