Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A white female ancestor was adopted by Mohawks

She was captured by the French-speaking Mohawks, who were raiding from Quebec and lived the rest of her life content and happy as a Mohawk.

She had 4 children, and her son, who spoke and read English, French and Haudenosaunee Mohawk, was sent to the Séminaire de Québec to become a priest. In fact I believe he was bi and that he had a French lover. This BFF was a de La Rochefoucauld, and my ancestor emigrated to France to live together very grandly in Versailles (the town, not the palace) for at least a decade.

Eventually, he became a radical priest/salonist in Paris, and for whatever reason, married the daughter of an Irish-French merchant family, and had children. She also was a revolutionary, and the couple participated in The Paris Commune, after which they were arrested, leaving their teenage children destitute. Two of their children, including their son who is my ancestor, immigrated back to the USA to Boston, where the original ancestor (the one adopted by Mohawks) had family.

Your turn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2022 7:22 PM

Wow, OP.

Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at your family's rear end. You should write a book.

Or wait, let me guess -- you already have?

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2022 7:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!