Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Our election system is a disgrace

Designed to help racists and bigots. Even though most people are Democrats and agree with Democratic policies. The government does not represent us. It represents the deplorables of the country.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2022 6:21 AM

What do you suggest, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2022 9:27 PM

Well aren't we in a good mood this Sunday evening.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2022 9:27 PM

Are you just waking up? The US hasn't had a a democracy since its outset šŸ˜‚

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote] disgrace

People who come from uptight Christian families like using the word 'disgrace'.

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2022 9:28 PM

These topics are started by trolls meant to rile everyone up. Im convinced.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2022 9:30 PM

I suspect the GOP will never win the popular vote again. But presidency will keep switching between the two parties

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2022 9:32 PM

@ R5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2022 9:33 PM

ugh, what's with the influx of tankies?

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2022 9:33 PM

R6 If the left mob keeps cancelling and whining about everything the GOP will exploit that and they will become the majority.

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2022 9:36 PM

Yes, Inagree the electoral college is stupid and makes absolutely no sense. Most Americans live in suburban areas near major cities. Conservative assholes love to defend it by saying "we're a Republic not a democracy." Which they only say because they want the GOP to keep winning and undermining our freedoms. We're supposed to be a democratic republic and there's nothing more democratic than direct vote.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2022 9:38 PM

Anyone still thinking we have a democracy with citizens United is a child

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2022 9:41 PM

R9

The right mob is currently set out to ā€œcancelā€ books that teach that white supremacy and racism is bad.

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2022 9:44 PM

You're right OP. It's sinful as well as disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2022 9:47 PM

The right-wing trolls need to go back to Stormfront or 4chan. At this point rural white Americans are never going to vote Democrat. Majority of the country which is urban does vote Democrat and the electoral college gets in the way of that because it favors rural white populations.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2022 9:48 PM

[quote] Even though most people are Democrats and agree with Democratic policies.

Do you have the stats for that?

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2022 9:50 PM

Also democrats are Reagan republicans full stop. Congrats for rainbow capitalism. DL is cringe af when it comes to politics.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2022 9:53 PM

R16 Thank you. I have been allowing the comments to get to me as of late but I have to remember where I am at.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2022 9:55 PM

Only employ something like the Electoral College if there are three or more political parties with no one candidate getting more than 50% of the vote.

Get rid of the Senate entirely. It makes no sense that Wyoming (under a half million) gets the same two votes as California (with 39 million people). Plus, I'm sick of these little tinpot dictators (both parties) who get in there and just go on and on and on for what seems like forever. Whatever the founding fathers meant with this form of check and balance, "gentlemen's club" has gone haywire.

Supreme Court. Term limits. I'm thinking 18 years max. With some of these judges being appointed in their 40s, they could be there over 40 years as well. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2022 9:57 PM

So basically you want to overthrow the US Constitution R18

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2022 10:25 PM

@18. I get so tired of the Wyoming argument, since no one bothers to mention Vermont.

The system works fine until an idiot like Trump comes to power. I honestly think the country works better when there are two opposing parties. However. the Republican Party is currently not an alternative. They have been taken over by the most ignorant, backwards, disgusting people on the planet. What is their endgame? The Republican Party is dead here in New York, California, and Illinois. Arizona and Georgia went blue in 2020. And they are not winning by margins in Texas like the Dems are in Ca and Nee York.

I live here in New York and sometimes wish we had alternative just to keep the Democrats in check, but there is none. One of Trumpā€™s lasting legacies will he the complete destruction of the NY Republican Party. He left moderate Republicans with no choice, but to vote for Dems.

So again, I ask all Trump supporters and particularly those who want him to run again? What is the endgame? He is not winning a damn thing in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2022 10:45 PM

Yes OP. gerrymandering and the electoral college need to be done away with.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2022 10:55 PM

OP - youā€™re thinking of Canada, where the popular vote winner in the last 2 elections is not in office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2022 10:59 PM

R20 I realize there are small blue states. I only used Wyoming and California as the two extremes in state population. If you'll notice, in the next sentence, I referred to little dictators from "BOTH PARTIES" who are in the Senate. I'm a dem in California. (Dianne Feinstein, I'm talking to you.)

R19 No one said anything about overthrowing the U.S. Constitution. These would be my top three changes to it.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2022 11:15 PM

Do you think people should vote without ID? Do you think people who are not citizens should vote? That is my concern. I want everyone to get out and vote as long as it is a legal. I vote in every election. I consider it a privilege.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2022 11:33 PM

If they are working a job, paying taxes and lived in the US for over a year, they should be able to vote.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote] lived in the US for over a year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2022 12:23 AM

Yes r24, I do think no ID is fine. Wanna know why? Because we are, and itā€™s working/worked. The system works just fine, as proven by the scores of lawsuits brought by the Hillbilly Nazis that were lost. Think about this ā€” we just had the largest election in US history, and statistically speaking, it has zero percent fraud. Zero. Percent. There is no fraud.

So the real question is, why are you so hot to fix something that ainā€™t even broke, hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2022 1:58 AM

Everyone screaming about abolishing the electoral college and equal state representation in the senate (or getting rid of it entirely) are woefully ignorant of this county's history. The smaller (population) states will never agree to any such changes. The whole debate is a waste of energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2022 5:08 AM

R27 No, ID to vote? So, one could vote anywhere and as many times as they want! How do you feel about vaccination IDs?

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2022 6:10 AM

R29

Youā€™re being very obtuse. Republicans are basically using it like a poll tax and you think thatā€™s fine? Why do you think it hurts poor Americans (especially black people) the most?

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2022 8:58 AM

R27 No ID? Zero percent fraud? How can fraud be measured or exposed, if no IDs are required? Someone could vote in 5 different polling stations. Who would know that they are committing fraud, if nothing to identify the person is required?

Most countries require ID before being allowed to vote. Those few that don't or where ID documents are not universal make the voter place his thumb in ink or axle grease, to prevent voter fraud.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2022 9:14 AM

Why do the votes of small rural states with low population need to be equal to big metropolitan states with higher populations? Most of these smaller states depend on the large metropolitan areas to survive. Most of the rural youth moves to the cities for work and opportunities.

California produces a lot of the country's crops and produce. So it's not just Los Angeles or San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2022 10:30 AM

R30 How does requiring an ID hurt blacks more?

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2022 9:50 PM

R27 How do people without IDs get stimulus checks, social security, welfare, vaccine ID cards, unemployment . ..?

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2022 9:53 PM

R34 They rely on the "unearned income" called petty crime.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2022 9:54 PM

Remember some people' don't know how to get online to get in line' (to vote)

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2022 4:14 PM

R36 Those people must be backward.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2022 7:46 PM

R37 ask Joe Biden. That's who I quoted

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2022 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!