Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking back at some failed attempted gay-themed sitcoms!

I never knew about these but they're hilariously bad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2022 8:56 PM

Queerty is hard left, no?

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2022 8:17 PM

Am I the only one who didn't think Some of My Best Friends was that bad?

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2022 8:18 PM

I liked Some of My Best Friends too.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2022 8:23 PM

Some Of My Best Friends Are didn't have handsome built guys, a prerequisite for gay shows. At the very least, you want a shirtless hunk or two, because this isn't Chekhov. It's trivia, not art, so give us Barabbas.

Instead, SOMBF gave us Justin Bateman, who is like some hetero that a woman would marry. The Guido, Danny Nucci, was not even meh. And there was a neighbor who was almost repellent.

The movie at least had a hot guy as the roommate. Unfortunately, he was in real life a resentful, envious character, which is why he then went on to a short stay on a soap and then fitful work in obscure events ever since. Impossible to be around.

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2022 8:46 PM

“Where’s My Gerbil” was the worst by far.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2022 8:49 PM

I liked Some of My Friends, too.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2022 9:17 PM

I've had a crush on Danny Nucci since forever.

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2022 9:25 PM

r7 me too my friend, me too. the previous poster who called him "meh" is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2022 9:30 PM

Tony Randall in "Love, Sidney".

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2022 9:32 PM

R4 Shut up, blowhard. We know it's not Chekhov. Congratulations on hating the average looking queeny asian gay, and dissing on Danny Nucci, who was sexy at that age.

All these shows seemed to have some minor charms and not be so bad. Sitcom series aimed for a broad appeal are ALL pretty damned chintzy, broad, and corny. Its not easy to find the perfect of elements that will catch on.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2022 9:55 PM

Danny Nucci was the “hunk” but I thought Jason was the cute one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2022 10:01 PM

I want more episodes of that one. Its so simple and funny.

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2022 10:11 PM

Gee, I thought I had blocked all the enraged pussies.

You freaks become hysterics whenever you hear an opinion you don't agree with.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2022 10:12 PM

Oh honey, every 4th word you type is a silent hissssssssssss.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2022 10:17 PM

Danny's first attempt at gay comedy was better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2022 10:23 PM

I would totally have watched Some Of My Best Friends every week. I wonder if it premiered the month 911 happened?

I always thought Bateman would have made a good Will on W&G, if they hadn't found Eric McCormack.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote]Queerty is hard left, no?

Queerty is hard right.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2022 10:27 PM

Mid-season replacement, Spring '01.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2022 10:30 PM

WHET Danny Nucci anyway?

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2022 10:45 PM

Love, Sidney

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2022 10:57 PM

I watched one episode of Partners. Just unwatchable. The director must have told Michael Urie to be even more hyper and frantic than usual.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2022 10:58 PM

The best that can said is that Michael Urie was age appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2022 11:00 PM

I don't think I've heard of Some of My Best Friends before.

I'm going to check it out one of these days. It's on YouTube.

Thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2022 11:10 PM

Ok Now I'm Watching Some of My Best Friends. It is REALLY dated and corny and quite pleasant to watch. The actors playing parents are way too old for the roles.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2022 11:47 PM

I watched Normal, Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2022 11:54 PM

Ay Papi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2022 12:11 AM

^ I don't know him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2022 12:14 AM

Some of My Best Friends had potential. I remembered seeing a bit of the first episode when I was a teenager so I recently rewatched the whole series. It's silly, and probably borderline offensive to some today, but it's much better than most of the crap on network tv nowadays. Plus, Jason Bateman was super adorable in it, and Danny Nucci was hot.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2022 12:35 AM

Some of My Best Friends major flaw is that every episode is too much about the interaction between gay and straight. Even for 2001 this concept is dated, as if such relations were so odd and strange. That is coupled with the Italians-Americans being stock characters 20 years past their validity. But the actors are all charming and it has good gags in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2022 2:49 AM

"as if such relations were so odd and strange."

We don't all live in WeHo or SoHo.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2022 3:01 AM

Love, Sidney's pilot was a TV movie and he was clearly gay. But by the time the series was made, NBC had decided it would be too controversial and he was just a lonely old guy who lived by himself and the subject wasn't addressed. In the final episode, the camera panned around his apartment and went past a framed photo of him with a male friend.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2022 3:05 AM

Love, Sidney theme song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2022 4:54 AM

It took place in NYC in 2001. Everyone knew everything they needed to know about gay men because they knew plenty of gay men. All way down to the central casting "working class borough Italians" depicted.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2022 5:02 AM

Those trannies in the Golden Girls were some ugly-ass bitches. Especially that tall one. She was as about as female looking as Bryan Singer’s newest “assistant”.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2022 5:18 AM

God that hurts my ears, r32. Even in the 70s with only 3 channels to choose from people must have immediately changed the channel when that caterwauling started. Did Kaleena Kiff grow up to spawn the adowable bwanket kid?

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2022 5:22 AM

"Work It" wasn't so much hilariously bad as kill-everyone-involved-so-they-can-never-do-this-again bad. I refuse to believe that it ever elicited a single laugh from any human being.

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2022 5:27 AM

Work It ep 2 has some laughs. OK its a terrible show but I guess I like broad comedy (pun intended)

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2022 5:42 AM

There was a very brief series called Straight Plan for the Gay Man. The aim was to butch up gay men so they could pass for straight in certain work environments, eg a meat-packing plant. I'd love to find it again.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2022 10:49 AM

Two from the 2010s: Ryan Murphy’s “The New Normal” and the Ellen DeGeneres-produced “One Big Happy”.

I gave up on TNN because it just wasn’t funny. And Nene fucking Leakes?? No thanks Ryan. Justin Bartha was adorable though.

I gave OBH a shot for hot Nick Zano but it was extremely lame and unfunny. Even Nick taking off his shirt didn’t help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2022 2:23 PM

I remember watching a sitcom about a gay couple and a straight couple who's children marry. Harriet Harris (Bebe Glazer) was in it. It was called something like Relatively Normal, or Abnormally Related, or Straight Up Married.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2022 2:41 PM

Remember the one about the really handsome and masculine black corporate attorney, Harvard grad, from a "black aristocracy" family, who is partnered with a nelly white trash Broadway chorus boy?

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2022 2:46 PM

Wasn't that a spin-off of the The Nanny, R41?

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2022 2:48 PM

Normal, Ohio with John Goodman? Sounds...interesting.

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2022 2:54 PM

I've not heard of any of them.

I actually liked The New Normal. That cunty/glamorous grandma was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2022 4:02 PM

R40 It's All Relative

20-something bartender at the family's Irish pub (Reid Scott) gets kicked out of the family home after announcing his engagement to a nice Harvard student (Maggie Lawson) because she has two dads. Stereotypes (and some good one-liners) ensue for 22 episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2022 4:10 PM

Thanks R45!

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2022 7:42 PM

R45 Reid Scott was adorable at that age.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2022 8:05 PM

It isn't a sitcom, but it IS hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2022 11:24 PM

Ryan Murphy’s “The New Normal”...I gave up on TNN because it just wasn’t funny. And Nene fucking Leakes?? No thanks Ryan. Justin Bartha was adorable though.

I forgave The New Normal a lot just to stare at Bartha every week. Ellen Barkin was hilarious but apparently a huge pain in the ass. Here's an old thread about her supposedly getting fired though the show ended up getting canceled before it could be confirmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2022 1:12 AM

Hey, r12, all 8 episodes are available on YouTube commercial free. Here's episode 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2022 2:30 AM

Thanks R50

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2022 2:31 AM

I would've watched "Some Of My Best Friends" if Jason Bateman and Danny Nucci has sucked and fucked each other. They were both so hot at the time.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2022 3:05 AM

[quote]You freaks become hysterics whenever you hear an opinion you don't agree with.

Because they're faggots!

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2022 3:05 AM

I tried to watch The New Normal but I just wanted to punch Andrew Rannells in his face.

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2022 3:09 AM

Of Love, Sidney:

[quote] In the final episode, the camera panned around his apartment and went past a framed photo of him with a male friend.

The photo showed Sidney with his boyfriend from the pilot TV movie, when the character had been portrayed as openly gay, before NBC forced him deep into the closet.

by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2022 4:10 AM

Was it Jack Klugman?

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2022 8:44 AM

R54, I have that reaction to Rannells every time I see him in something.

by Anonymousreply 57February 9, 2022 7:10 PM

Why are there never any Asians in these series? It’s so white in here. What about a series called “With Sex You Get Egg Roll” starring one of five actors featured whenever there is a role for a male Asian actor in a series or film?

by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2022 8:20 PM

R58, Alec Mapa was in Some of My Best Friends as Jack to Jason Bateman's Will.

by Anonymousreply 59February 9, 2022 10:26 PM

"One Dame at a Time": Bonnie Franklin played a Lesbian tap dancer looking for love in all the wrong places, while struggling to make a living teaching tap to disabled seniors in Reno. Featuring Diana Canova as her tough-as-nails showgirl pal and Kaye Ballard as her sarcastic mother. Cancelled after the pilot episode ("Shall We Scissor?") didn't play in Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2022 10:34 PM

It's All Relative 20 years ago on some gay cable channel but never connected the son to the guy on Veep. It was that unmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2022 10:35 PM

*I saw...

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2022 10:38 PM

R40 & R45 It's All Relative actually was funny and I think was the first show to ever feature two openly gay actors playing gay roles. I watched it mainly because of Christopher Sieber who I had developed a huge gayling crush on when he played the father in the Olsen twin sitcom Two of a Kind...had had an ass for miles.

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2022 8:15 PM

Oh yes! I forgot he was on that show, R63. I've seen him on stage a few times and he's always great.

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2022 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!