Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First Look: "Queer as Folk" Reboot

Did they get it right this time?

Kim Cattrall ended up here instead of digging Carrie Bradshaw's grave on that awful lesbian reboot nonsense across town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 26, 2023 9:55 PM

The Joker?

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2022 7:02 PM

Peacock obviously has a lot of faith in it since it got a whole 1.5 seconds of attention in that minute-long preview of upcoming shows.

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2022 7:03 PM

Why is Patti LuPone wearing a golden crown? Why is she even in it? Oh no, she doesn’t flash her tits, does she?

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2022 7:23 PM

Johnny Sibilly! He's an old friend of mine. How great for him. The show is lucky to have him!

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2022 8:53 PM

I don’t know the first thing about this reboot and not really interested in it because there’s no doubt it’s going to be ALLL. “Trans! Trans! Transsss!”

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2022 8:55 PM

R5 And also all the colors of the racial rainbow, plus all flavors of gender expression, plus a few dirt-poor weirdos thrown in for sympathy.

There'll be so many pronouns and trigger warnings, they won't ever get to a storyline.

Remember when QAF was about fucking, nonconformity, more fucking, teen lovers, unsafe sex, casual drug usage, and fucking? The show would not be allowed to broadcast today. It's too white. Too cis. Too narrow a story for the butthurt generation to identify themselves with.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2022 8:59 PM

It’s going to be Trans as Folk. I can feel it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2022 9:07 PM

Why is diversity bad if it's set in an urban area? Pittsburgh wasn't even that white like the 2000s US show portrayed. That being said, I can see the pandering to the trans crowd could get exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2022 9:09 PM

One episode is to be written by DL fave Roxane Gay. I'm not that interested in this reboot, but I am interested in how she goes as a writer. She's VERY judgmental of other writers, so I hope she's thickened her skin somewhat as I imagine the Twitter that is not her rabid followers will let her know.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2022 9:12 PM

If they have actual gay Southern writers for a show that's to be set in New Orleans then I'd be happy. So many Hollywood writers cannot get the South right.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2022 9:14 PM

^Oh I didn't know it was to be set in New Orleans! Now, that could actually get me to tune in, I find that city fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2022 9:15 PM

They ought to call it Gay as Blazes & make it a parody of the QAF show within a show. It seems like this reboot is heavy on the “queer.”

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2022 9:32 PM

[quote] Remember when QAF was about fucking, nonconformity, more fucking, teen lovers, unsafe sex, casual drug usage, and fucking? The show would not be allowed to broadcast today.

I don't know what rock you're living under but most TV is like this now. The original QAF is actually tame and would be considered poorly written by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2022 9:34 PM

"Queer as Folk"

Shouldn't it really be called "Trans as political statement" or something?

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2022 9:44 PM

More trans, MORE, MORE!

You know what? All this genderfluid trans queer nonsense isn’t even really indicative of the actual lives of real young LGBT people. This is ALL the cosplay of the tiny minority of them that are very over represented in the media/entertainment worlds and want to make is seem as if everyone is as big a freak show as them.

Good GOD I’m glad I came up in the generation before all this crap. BTW I’m 35 so don’t “eldergay” me.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2022 9:48 PM

I read the article and saw the clip and I don't see anything that indicates it won't be just about gay and lesbians with the most likely transgender token character. And even if this reboot sucks, there's always the British original or the first US remake.

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2022 10:15 PM

R15: No, my 39 year old faggy ass will just call you a dipshit and leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2022 1:22 AM

I wasn't that interested in this anyway, but seeing how model-esque all the actors are in that article above doesn't really inspire me to watch. I know others may think differently, but I'd rather see more regular looking guys in a show like this. Good looking, sure. But those actors are beyond that. There's almost something boring about it when everyone looks the same.

The funny thing about that is that the diverse cast all look more similar to each other than the non-diverse cast in the originals, if that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote]Remember when QAF was about fucking, nonconformity, more fucking, teen lovers, unsafe sex, casual drug usage, and fucking? The show would not be allowed to broadcast today. It's too white. Too cis. Too narrow a story for the butthurt generation to identify themselves with.

I'm not interested in this series at all but it's really bizarre how "butthurt" you are that it's not all about white people.

I just don't get how white gay men can have so many issues with people who are also gay but not white.

What will hurt this series the most is that it's on Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2022 3:24 AM

One of the showrunners is John/~Jaclyn~ Moore, a deranged autogynephile with a tattoo on his arm of a transsexual ejaculating.

That is all you need to know about this upcoming disaster.

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2022 3:32 AM

Will there be Asians?

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2022 3:37 AM

1950s Stereotypes 101

This new version manages to be more regressive and offensive than anything out of the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2022 3:38 AM

[quote]a deranged autogynephile with a tattoo on his arm of a transsexual ejaculating.

Disgusting. This show will tank.

by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2022 3:42 AM

There’s not even one single trans in this. What are you freaking out and obsessing over? This is so ridiculous. If you don’t like trans people, then stop obsessing over them and seeing them where they don’t even exist.

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2022 3:52 AM

DL's anti-trans goons will shriek endlessly over the mere suggestion that a trans person exists.

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2022 4:11 AM

I hope there’s a pansexual enby to keep me guessing

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2022 4:31 AM

Based on the breakdown in the Gay Time there are three non-binary characters, one trans woman, a cisgender gay man and a pansexual man.

I have nothing against this at all, but disheartening to a see a show that at it's core (in both the UK and US versions) was about the friendship of three gay men not really having much of the gay element any more. The gay male experience, which already underrepresented, is basically being erased from this new version.

by Anonymousreply 27February 5, 2022 6:31 AM

R26 Hey! It's Che Diaz!

by Anonymousreply 28February 5, 2022 7:16 AM

Dear lord, let’s ruin everything and make nothing good.

by Anonymousreply 29February 5, 2022 9:02 AM

So is R24 correct or R27?

Without looking anything up, just based on gut feelings, my money is on R27 being correct.

by Anonymousreply 30February 5, 2022 9:11 AM

IMDB sez:

“It centers on a group of club-going friends who find support in the gay community following a tragedy.”

Oh God, it’s going to open with a recreation of the Pulse nightclub shooting, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 31February 5, 2022 9:18 AM

R8 I could love and embrace any color leading make actor, but I would flinch at any promotion of the horror "philly" pride flag with the wedge, THAT I hate.

by Anonymousreply 32February 5, 2022 9:36 AM

R25, we know they exist. They never STFU about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 33February 5, 2022 9:46 AM

It’s sad that original cast wanted to have some type of spinoff or a continuation of the show so bad, they tried to promote the idea for years but in the end it got a reboot.

by Anonymousreply 34February 5, 2022 10:43 AM

R33, yes, I know. I listen to you lot shriek endlessly about them on DL, endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 35February 5, 2022 1:31 PM

R33 retort was wittier R35.

by Anonymousreply 36February 5, 2022 1:37 PM

Don't care. Wasn't trying to be witty. Just really tired of endless anti-trans bigotry, along with racism, and surprisingly, homophobia on DL.

by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2022 1:42 PM

R37 No one is holding a gun to your head FORCING you to read anything on here. If you don't like it, leave. But if you think you're going to change DL because you find parts of it offensive, good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2022 1:48 PM

Trans as folk

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2022 1:58 PM

R37's adolescent view of the world is that anyone questioning or commenting about trans or any race automatically makes them a Nazi.

Grow the fuck up. All you do is name-call and can't refute anything anyone is saying. You're like a spoiled child - not unclench those tiny fists, smooth out the crinoline in your dress, and go to your room and sulk.

by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2022 2:04 PM

R40, how about just not hating people? Did you ever consider giving that a try?

by Anonymousreply 41February 5, 2022 2:21 PM

[quote]Don't care. Wasn't trying to be witty. Just really tired of endless anti-trans bigotry, along with racism, and surprisingly, homophobia on DL.

Pro-trans is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 42February 5, 2022 2:26 PM

You’re blinded by trans because it’s “left wing”. It’s “left wing” reparative therapy. Should gays be allowed to “change”? Of course. It’s their right and freedom as adults. Leave kids alone.

by Anonymousreply 43February 5, 2022 2:28 PM

It's "LGB people", r15.

by Anonymousreply 44February 5, 2022 2:30 PM

R37 - trans ideology = homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2022 2:32 PM

Queer Ass Folk.

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2022 3:13 PM

It appears R27 is correct. I read the character descriptions published in both the Gay Times and Hollywood Reporter and out of seven main characters it appears only one is actually a cis-gender gay man. I am 100% for trans rights and non-binary rights and for more diverse representation in the media, but the more radical "woke" trans/gender identity is propagating the erasure of "G" from LGBT. I can only think of two gay ensemble shows in the last 20 years, QAF and Looking and even GLAAD has recently pointed out that gay male representation has actually decreased in the last 5 years. And yet the transmovement, perpetuates this notion that gay men are over represented within the community.

Clearly the producers of the new QAF are diversifying the cast (which is a good thing as US QAF was almost exclusively white) and focusing more on "Queer" rather than gay, which okay, but QAF was envisioned as a show about the lives of gay men and really the first gay ensemble show in US TV.

by Anonymousreply 47February 5, 2022 4:01 PM

I'm shocked Will Smith would allow Jaden to be in something like this.

by Anonymousreply 48February 5, 2022 4:05 PM

The American QAF had two main groups of viewers: gay men and women who knew it sucked but were representation-starved, and nutty straight women "shippers" (who, if they got bored shipping Brian/Justin or Brian/Michael, would ship the actors instead). The reboot seems aimed at the nutty straight women, who in our current climate are likely to identify as some stripe of queer instead (if only on social media). I'd like to be proven wrong but what we've seen so far hints at an L Word: Generation Q type disaster.

by Anonymousreply 49February 5, 2022 4:30 PM

no one is erasing gay men, for heaven's sake

by Anonymousreply 50February 5, 2022 6:27 PM

I wonder if the new writers or even the writers of the original American version were/are aware of the saying: "there's nowt so queer as folk"? I always liked the play on words in the title as Davies intended it.

by Anonymousreply 51February 5, 2022 8:05 PM

If Jaden was on this, I would watch.

by Anonymousreply 52February 5, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote] One episode is to be written by DL fave Roxane Gay. I'm not that interested in this reboot, but I am interested in how she goes as a writer. She's VERY judgmental of other writers, so I hope she's thickened her skin somewhat as I imagine the Twitter that is not her rabid followers will let her know.

Her episode is to be entitled "Exhausted as Folk."

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2022 8:15 PM

Hahahaha, R53! We know it's true!

by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2022 8:17 PM

"Exhausted as Folk", R53!

Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote]I wonder if the new writers or even the writers of the original American version were/are aware of the saying: "there's nowt so queer as folk"? I always liked the play on words in the title as Davies intended it.

I recall that being pointed out in articles as the American series was launching, so Cowen & Lipman were aware of it by then if not before.

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2022 8:30 PM

[quote] I wonder if the new writers or even the writers of the original American version were/are aware of the saying: "there's nowt so queer as folk"?

Are you kidding?

The original writers were so ignorant that they repeatedly had the characters referring to the Susquehanna River as flowing through Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 57February 5, 2022 8:34 PM

Why couldn't they just lean into the filming location, and say it was about gays in Toronto?

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2022 8:36 PM

American xenophobia?

by Anonymousreply 59February 5, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]I'm shocked Will Smith would allow Jaden to be in something like this.

Jaden is 23, doesn't he make his own decisions?

by Anonymousreply 60February 5, 2022 9:18 PM

Nothing can ever be as good as the original British version.

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2022 9:48 PM

R50 - uh - yes they are. They don't want gay white men representation - but they want to use all the establishments and civic places that gay men have built.

You haven't been paying attention. A QAF re-boot with only 1 gay man is insulting. You want to have a non-binary and trans show - fine, call it something else. But don't use the name from the previous 2 series to greenlight this project and taking gay men almost completely out of the show.

They could call this anything else, but no - they have to take this. They want to be front of the pride parades. They painted over the rainbows in WeHo and put in the trans 'flag'. They have their own flag but are now trying to change the Pride flag to insert the trans on it.

There are example after example of this. Yes - they are trying to erase gays AND lesbians. Let's not even get started about what lesbians have been fighing the past decade - MichFest being a primary example.

by Anonymousreply 62February 6, 2022 12:17 AM

R62 - and let me add - the worst example is that all of gay rights came from Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera. So fucking insulting and historically just wrong on all accounts.

Completely erasing all of the work gays and lesbians were doing BEFORE Stonewall and during the 70's, 80's and 90's.

That is their goal. Claim everything that gays and lesbians have built. I see absolutely zero acknowledgment from trans / non-binary for our support over the past several decades. Just ingratitude and lies to serve their cause that, frankly, will never be accepted because you cannot change your sex. Period.

by Anonymousreply 63February 6, 2022 12:21 AM

This thread just goes to show you how very thing the veneers are between anti-trans, anti-gay, and racism is.

So very Republican agenda.

by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2022 1:53 AM

R64 - riiight - so you have nothing to refute so you just call it racist, anti-trans and Republican. Honey, you're gonna have to do better than that. You score zero points with just name calling.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2022 1:58 AM

I consider myself progressive in that I’d like to see both gender clinics AND reparative therapy centers in the same strip mall one day.

by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2022 2:00 AM

"[R64] - riiight - so you have nothing to refute so you just call it racist, anti-trans and Republican. Honey, you're gonna have to do better than that. You score zero points with just name calling.

Grow up."

I have nothing to refute?

Speaking of "having to do better than that."

And if you're being racist, anti-gay and anti-trans, that isn't name calling.

That's stating the obvious about your bullshit.

Why don't you grow up and own your opinions and actions?

Oh, right, because you're a keyboard coward.

Is your name being called?

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2022 5:11 AM

R67 - you just came on the board and called people racist and anti-trans - that's not name calling? It's not stating the obvious - it's a bullying tactic.

Why don't you have something to say? No - instead, you don't like the conversation so you just go - REPUBLICAN! RACIST! ANTI-TRANS!

Seriously - you're not going to win anyone to your side. And name-calling is not calling someone by their name. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2022 5:44 AM

r31 given the background of the shooter, I doubt they would tackle Pulse.

by Anonymousreply 69February 6, 2022 6:13 AM

Hating is OK as long as the only people doing it are those accusing others of doing it. Got it? Good.

Carry on hating hypocritical hate-accusers!

R37 is sweet: “OMG!OMG! There are people in the world who don’t share my opinions! Isn’t this against the law?”

by Anonymousreply 70February 6, 2022 6:15 AM

"you just came on the board and called people racist and anti-trans - that's not name calling? It's not stating the obvious - it's a bullying tactic."

This from an anti-trans racist? Funny how you turn into a special little snowflake the minute someone calls you what you are. Oh, no! The bully can't is getting bullied.

Bitch, your trolling is so basic.

"Why don't you have something to say? No - instead, you don't like the conversation so you just go - REPUBLICAN! RACIST! ANTI-TRANS!"

If I hadn't said anything, you wouldn't be bitching about it. What a weird little liar you are.

"Seriously - you're not going to win anyone to your side."

Yeah, I'm not playing that game. I guess you think you are?

" And name-calling is not calling someone by their name. JFC."

Sort of like carrot farming isn't farming carrots? Furniture building isn't building furniture.

Impeccable troll logic.

by Anonymousreply 71February 6, 2022 6:29 AM

R71 - and everyone, I rest my case. Resorts back to name calling. Now I'm a troll because he doesn't have anything to back up his claims about racism or anti-trans or us being Republicans.

Are you 12? Because your logic and rhetoric are those of a teenager. Know this - if you want someone to come to your side or understand your point of view, getting mad and calling people names isn't going to win them over or change their point of view.

by Anonymousreply 72February 6, 2022 3:02 PM

This show looks like a bunch of woke garbage. Trying to paint a picture of America that doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 73February 6, 2022 4:23 PM

They can make a gay urban drama with diversity about gay, bisexuals and lesbians. A lot of gay and lesbian relationships are interracial in fact. New Orleans was a safe haven for many black gays in the South and they could have made it about that topic.

I don't mind transgender characters on TV but they can have their own drama and not be shoehorned into everything.

by Anonymousreply 74February 6, 2022 5:17 PM

R74 The diversity part is great because both previous incarnations of QAF were blindingly white (it was only recently revealed that Emmett on the US QAF was supposed to be black with Billy Porter almost being offered the part, but producers like Peter Paige and offered him the role instead). But I agree that there is an obsession right now in Hollywood with placing trans and non-binary characters in anything gay related which comes at the expense of gay/lesbian/bi characters. It's disappointing that QAF which was always conceived as a show about gay friendships now only has one gay male character in it.

by Anonymousreply 75February 7, 2022 5:17 PM

R75 Billy Porter would've worn too many fucking dresses and half-dresses. And Billy doesn't share the limelight.

Peter Paige gave Emmett equal threads of vulnerability and courage. He was the nelly of the group, but also sometimes the most brave and grounded. He had his dignity, but he never went so far as to grab headlines or turn heads to say "Look at how BRAVE I am!" And Billy Porter just can't help but be that kind of climber.

by Anonymousreply 76February 7, 2022 5:22 PM

Noah's Arc and The DL Chronicles are the only shows that I know that are about black gay guys. Neither lasted long. A show about Asian, Latino and Native American gays and lesbians would be good too.

I'd watch all of that than a show about nonbinary and trans that is taking up what should be a great representation of gays of color.

by Anonymousreply 77February 7, 2022 6:22 PM

Gays of color.

Why not just colored gays?

by Anonymousreply 78February 7, 2022 6:22 PM

I don't know about the first American version r75, but in terms of race the original British version was exactly right for its day.

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2022 6:24 PM

The UK version is fine and made sense. The US version was set in Pittsburgh which is why the lack of diversity was glaring. And it would be just as glaring if set in Detroit or Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 80February 7, 2022 6:27 PM

[quote]the worst example is that all of gay rights came from Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera.

Marsha and Sylvia were two junkie whores with serious mental health issues who didn't do shit for the gay rights movement.

by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2022 8:29 PM

If it's "queer"- we should be included!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 7, 2022 9:30 PM

How is women colouring their hair "queer", r82? None of those women is even calling herself queer.

by Anonymousreply 83February 7, 2022 9:35 PM

It's always the ugliest, most unfuckable bitches doing that "queer" shit.

by Anonymousreply 84February 7, 2022 10:11 PM

[quote]Kim Cattrall ended up here instead of digging Carrie Bradshaw's grave on that awful lesbian reboot nonsense across town.

I condole her.

by Anonymousreply 85February 7, 2022 11:00 PM

Honey, she be looking like Tim Curry in Rocky Horror sitting up there.

by Anonymousreply 86February 7, 2022 11:03 PM

The lone gay character will be fucking chicks and trannies by the end of the series. You can tell this show is gonna be trans/pansexual propaganda.

Just another thing they stole from us!

by Anonymousreply 87February 7, 2022 11:11 PM

They should reboot Dante's Cove, The Lair and Noah's Arc. All of them suffered from being on low-budget mid-2000s gay channels like Logo and here that barely anyone really watched or paid for. Now with Netflix and all these big streaming platforms, they could be brought back with a proper budget. Bring back Rick and Steve and Queer Duck too.

by Anonymousreply 88February 8, 2022 6:09 AM

Babylon will become a library where there are safe space meetings to talk about pronouns and feelings.

by Anonymousreply 89February 8, 2022 6:25 AM

R87 Hey man, all sexuality is fluid! If you're not fucking women by Friday, then you're just a bigot with internalized hate! You owe it to the downtrodden to give up your dick (sexually, and perhaps surgically) so they can feel better about themselves!

by Anonymousreply 90February 8, 2022 1:19 PM

Front holes, bro.

by Anonymousreply 91February 8, 2022 5:44 PM

Where are you all getting that there will only be one gay male character on the show?

I'm not seeing that in the link at OP or in the 1.5 seconds of screen time in the video

by Anonymousreply 92February 8, 2022 5:53 PM

R92 apparently it comes down from a cast/character description published in the gay times (link further up I believe)

by Anonymousreply 93February 8, 2022 7:20 PM

Here’s an article from early December 2021 that details the cast members as of that date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 8, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote] Sibilly stars as a successful lawyer who is not as put together as he seems.

[quote] Way will bring to life a charming and sometimes chaotic commitment-phobe who finds a reason to stay in New Orleans after tragedy rocks his community.

[quote] Argus will play a cocky high schooler whose confidence belies his lack of real-world experience.

Sibilly, Way and Argus are all "cis-male" actors playing gay men.

So that's three regulation gay men right there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 9, 2022 12:06 AM

Let me guess: The 17yo (15yo in the UK original) is now a 22yo, they've added half a dozen trans characters, and every other episode will center on how racist and evil "white gays" are.

by Anonymousreply 96February 9, 2022 12:11 AM

The "female" characters so far appear to be non-binary or "transwomen".

by Anonymousreply 97February 9, 2022 12:25 AM

It's all going to be one big fucking lecture and airing of grievances, and about as entertaining as a root canal. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 98February 9, 2022 12:56 AM

R95 to be fair, that deadline link doesn’t specify if the characters are gay, bi, pan, cisgendered or non binary. Whatever they are, it’s a fictional television show so everyone should consider settling down a bit.

by Anonymousreply 99February 9, 2022 4:56 AM

R99 Culture and the messages embedded within it matter...gays should know this by now.

by Anonymousreply 100February 9, 2022 5:18 AM

I miss Brian Kinney fucking his clients in the men's room, and Justin having to blow a club owner to dance there, and Emmett fucking the phony married couple he was a maid for, and Michael getting hit on by his chiropractor.

Matter of fact, let's just bring back the old episodes, but with a Pop-Up Video overlay of all the labor laws broken, and how none of this would happen in the MeToo era.

by Anonymousreply 101February 9, 2022 2:08 PM

The reason QAF was popular in Showtime and wasn't quickly cancelled like all the rest of the lgbt shows except for Will and Grace is because of the st8 female demographics who were in love with Brian and Justin’s relationship and how it was geared towards drama that women seems to love.

by Anonymousreply 102February 10, 2022 6:52 AM

What were the other "lgbT shows", r102?

by Anonymousreply 103February 10, 2022 11:05 AM

R103 All that low-rent shit they churned out on Logo, plus a few one-off shows on ABC.

Think of network shows like "Normal, Ohio," or "It's All Relative," or "The New Normal."

by Anonymousreply 104February 10, 2022 1:59 PM

R101 Even in the early 2000s, Brian fucking clients in the office broke Labor laws. I remember thinking even as a horny teenager watching QAF when it originally aired how does Brian not get fired?

R102 The straight women audience largely kept the show going after the second season. The show was ground breaking for its depiction of gay sex, but by the second season it lost its edge. In fairness, the later seasons are actually much better in terms of actual character development, but overall it's a poorly written show. That being said, I was a closeted teenager when QAF and to many of my generation the show was the first place I every saw gay sex (this was before broadband internet was common so accessing dial up porn was troublesome and complicated because most houses only had one computer with internet access at this point in time).

by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote] (this was before broadband internet was common so accessing dial up porn was troublesome and complicated because most houses only had one computer with internet access at this point in time).

True. There was only one computer in the house, and the whole family used it. You sure as hell weren't going to look at any gay porn on it for fear of your parents or siblings stumbling across it.

by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2022 6:42 PM

Will any of the original characters from WAF be in this version?

by Anonymousreply 107February 11, 2022 8:23 PM

R107, there will be a struggle session for at least one of them much like the college class in the Sex and the City reboot.

by Anonymousreply 108February 11, 2022 8:32 PM

If Charlie Hunnam's ass makes an appearance I will be glued to my screen.

by Anonymousreply 109February 11, 2022 8:35 PM

Charlie Hunan’s ass in the original is probably what made me gay…

by Anonymousreply 110February 11, 2022 9:15 PM

^ Hunnam. Fuck you autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2022 9:16 PM

Sad the UK QAF got Charlie Hunan and we got random non descript blond twink.

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2022 9:52 PM

* Hunnam. It’s contagious!

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2022 9:53 PM

if it makes you feel better R105 and R106, I was also a teenager during those years and had my own laptop, an orange iBook and it was still tough to find porn online, or at least to download it in any sort of timely manner. OTOH, there were numerous sites where people shared SeanCody and CorbinFisher passwords which opened up another door....

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2022 10:06 PM

Datalounge in the late 2010s was still Ground Zero for the QAF Fan Fraus who were obsessed with Gale Harold and wanted to believe that he'd been in a secret relationship with Randy Harrison for the past 15 years, despite the fact they lived on separate coasts.

There were dozens of threads dedicated to their fantasy along with countless fan fiction stories and the like.

It's not dissimilar with the Charmies but with an entire 5-season series to obsess over

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2022 10:09 PM

Dafuq is a Charmie?

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2022 10:11 PM

The frauen who "ship" Armand (Armie) Hammer and Timothee Chalamet - the term is a portmanteau that other DLers came up with.

They also want to believe that the sex in Call Me By Your Name was real and the two are lovers off-screen

by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2022 10:15 PM

All Trans, All the Time

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2022 10:18 PM

R117 Thanks. I thought I’d heard it all. That’s just crazy.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2022 10:23 PM

Those fan fraus are insane. I've noticed that once the object of their bizarre obsession either a) fades away into a much lower public profile or b) simply ages out, they lose interest and then it's off to the next target of their psychosis.

by Anonymousreply 120February 11, 2022 11:11 PM

It should be called "Woke as Fuck!"

by Anonymousreply 121February 11, 2022 11:14 PM

Woke as Folx

by Anonymousreply 122February 12, 2022 12:39 AM

R120 you're describing all people on earth, not just fan fraus!

by Anonymousreply 123February 12, 2022 1:13 AM

Most people on earth don't become obsessed with a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 124February 12, 2022 1:19 AM

R107 No. Channel 4 in the UK own the the rights to the original QAF and Showtime still owns the rights to the US QAF. NBC would have to reach a deal with those two channels in order to use any of the old characters. That being said, there is gossip some of the actors from the original show may do cameos (just not as their old characters). Peter Paige strongly hinted he makes an appearance.

by Anonymousreply 125February 12, 2022 3:02 AM

The original US QAF was terribly written (and acted) but it does hold a special place in my heart. I was 16 when it came out, closeted in a small fucking town of white trash. I only had internet access at the library at school, so I would watch QAF on the basement set with the lights off and the closed captioning turned on and the volume super low.

by Anonymousreply 126February 12, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote] Remember when QAF was about fucking, nonconformity, more fucking, teen lovers, unsafe sex, casual drug usage, and fucking?

R6 Yep! Say what you want about the original versions, but it was about the lives (particularly the sex lives) of gay men. And sure, some of the seedier and more stereotypical parts of the gay 'scene'. But I fucking loved it. Even with all its faults.

And where is all that now in entertainment after all this progress?

by Anonymousreply 127February 12, 2022 3:30 AM

The original US Queer As Folk was basically Melrose Place for gay people and it never pretended to be anything more. It was a very fun and entertaining nighttime soap. Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 128February 12, 2022 3:44 AM

Melrose Place for gay people with random softcore gay sex scenes thrown in to make it seem "edgy"

They rarely served any plot purpose and were often just cutaways.

by Anonymousreply 129February 12, 2022 10:28 AM

whatever makes you old bitter bitches seethe will greatly please me.

by Anonymousreply 130February 12, 2022 12:16 PM

Said R130 bitterly and bitchily.

by Anonymousreply 131February 12, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote]whatever makes you old bitter bitches seethe will greatly please me.

That’s why I hope ex-gays become mainstream…it will please me.

by Anonymousreply 132February 12, 2022 12:29 PM

I get so annoyed by the “competition”. The only competition I ever felt back in the day was from a few lesbians with toxic masculinity issues. Otherwise everyone did their own thing and gave each other certain space.

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2022 1:02 PM

This new version of QAF is going to be dreadful mostly because of this dreadful "woke, politically correct" BS that pervades mostly everything Hollywood puts out now. The original US QAF was, as others have said, not all that well-written and the three lead actors weren't exactly strong performers, but the one thing about it was that it gave no fucks. It was an unabashed depiction of gay people who has sex drives, who had a good time, partied...etc. It both played into and against stereotypes. R6 says it well that basically they won't be able to make the show as edgy and giving no shits as the original was.

by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2022 3:51 PM

Emmett will return as a middle aged trans person. His pronoun is they now.

by Anonymousreply 135February 12, 2022 4:46 PM

can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2022 5:18 PM

I wonder if it will be like HBO's "Generation," which was a lecturing wokefest featuring the hot mess at the link as an object of insatiable desire. It was cancelled after one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2022 5:26 PM

Actually, the most radical thing about the US version of QAF is that the gay characters were not all mincing nellie queens.

Now granted that was probably because they were mostly played by straight actors ,though Robert Gant is both gay and not-the-least-bit-femme.

But if helped get the message out that not all gays were "like that" and there was nuance--some gay guys were nerdy, some were macho, some were slackers--but for a closeted teenager like me, seeing a character like Brian Kinney was further confirmation that you didn't need to love show tunes, Judy Garland and women's fashion to be gay and that the opposite of a nellie queen was not a freakish Leather Man.

We've pretty much gone backwards though--gay characters are either so straight the joke is "this macho jock is really a bone-smoker" or they are the two queens from Modern Family or the Queer Eye cast or RuPaul competitors..

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2022 6:01 PM

You’re probably right^.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2022 6:03 PM

I watched Queer as Folk and I took it seriously. It wasn’t a joke.

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2022 6:05 PM

I totally agree r138. QAF did do a service, so to speak, in that it showed that gay men are not all flaming stereotypes. Some are just regular guys who are not effeminate. We have gone backwards, most gay men you see in media nowadays are Jonathan Van Ness-type minstrel shows.

by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2022 6:28 PM

R138 The reason for that was the fact that it was an ensemble of gay characters, the first time in American TV history that had ever happened. Prior to QAF, Will & Grace had set the record with two gay characters. This provided the show with opportunity to go beyond either the flamboyant wedding planner/neighbor/friend or the family member, who is always a doctor, lawyer or cop who visits, and comes out while visiting. I wouldn't say gay representation has gone backwards, it really hasn't changed at all. There might be more gay representation then there was 20 to 30 years ago, but it still falls into either comic relief, or a coming out story line.

QAF for all its weakness was a blip and since then there really has only been one other gay male ensemble drama (Looking). And even Looking, while far better written than QAF, mainly focused on love and relationships and very little on other aspects of gay Iives. I'll give QAF this, while it did draw in a large frau audience (which is 100% catered to more in the later season), it was a warts and all we don't give a shit portrayal of aspects of gay culture never seen before (or since) on TV.

Sadly, this reboot is falling into trans and gender issues, while part of the queer experience, it comes as the expense of gay male representation. Trans and lesbian representation is now far broader than gay men.

by Anonymousreply 142February 12, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote]Why is diversity bad if it's set in an urban area? Pittsburgh wasn't even that white like the 2000s US show portrayed. That being said, I can see the pandering to the trans crowd could get exhausting.

Pittsburgh nowadays is about 65% white; in the 2000s, it was around 70%.. The show was set in the Liberty Avenue district, which is predominantly white. You do the math. In fact, black population in PIttsburgh has also decreased from 25% in the 2000s to 23% today. (Asians and Latinos are under 5% of the population.)

Whites are still the great majority in the US (70%), with the Northeast, Northwest, and the Heartland in particular being very white. But Hollywood likes to pretend that all the races/ethnicities are evenly distributed across every family/neighborhood/town/county/state/region, but that is not the case.

I live in New England and my niece a few years ago hosted an Italian foreign exchange student, who was surprised to see mainly white people at school, in town, pretty much everywhere.. She said that US movie/shows make it seem like everything is diversified.

by Anonymousreply 143February 12, 2022 6:57 PM

Look at what happened to Logo. It's just reruns of old sitcoms. I remember when I finally got digital cable in the mid 2000s as a teenager and saw Logo TV that had reruns of QAF, The L Word and original stuff like Noah's Arc, Alien Boot Camp, Shirts and Skins, Rick and Steve and Noah's Arc. That gay news show and award shows foo. Plus all those John Waters, Todd Verow and other gay directed movies they aired. It was so cool seeing gay, lesbian and bisexual stuff on TV and a wide array of representation. Not Queer Eye or Will and Grace. Logo slowly became the RuPaul channel and then just reruns of Mamas Family and Roseanne.

It's like LGB can't have their own stuff. I'm not anti-T or NB but can't they make their own shows and movies?

by Anonymousreply 144February 12, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote]I live in New England and my niece a few years ago hosted an Italian foreign exchange student, who was surprised to see mainly white people at school, in town, pretty much everywhere.. She said that US movie/shows make it seem like everything is diversified.

You hear this a lot from people from other countries when they visit the US for the first time. They're surprised that the US isn't a rainbow of diversity in every area like you see in American media.

by Anonymousreply 145February 12, 2022 7:11 PM

R144 Part of the issue is Logo, like many specialty cable channels, there are fewer and fewer subscribers and they likely can no longer afford original productions. But you aren't wrong that the majority of LGBT shows produced today focus more on the "T" and usually center on drag or other gender fuckery stuff.

by Anonymousreply 146February 13, 2022 1:59 AM

R146 True and honestly I don't think Viacom every really cared about it. I don't remember any of Logo's shows being heavily cross-promoted on MTV, VH1 or TV Land which were its sister networks. Logo sort of just existed on its own and only gays who had certain digital cable or satellite packages watched it, so very narrow appeal and little promo. Of course once RuPaul's Drag Race ended up a huge surprise success and became the flagship show. It moved over to VH1.

by Anonymousreply 147February 13, 2022 2:43 AM

I’ve pretty much given up on anything that considers itself media programming for LGBT folks, because 9/10 of 10, it’s gender minority focused and all about transphobia. Obviously both matter, but not all the time. If every show featuring gay characters were about homophobia, I’d be equally tired.

I do know a few trans guys, and the common theme I notice is that it’s never enough to just “be”. It’s like too much of their identity is tied up in their trans journey—transitioning, their gender issues, or pointing out some perceived transphobia. It’s not that it’s not important, but at some point, you just have to focus on being what you’ve become, not perpetually stuck in being a “trans persona”. In any case, that’s the main reason I don’t watch trans-centric films anymore, and why I won’t watch this reboot.

by Anonymousreply 148February 13, 2022 5:15 AM

*9 times out of 10

by Anonymousreply 149February 13, 2022 5:17 AM

US QaF could have continued past s5 because it was doing well in the ratings and Robert Grant (Ben) was in a relationship with the Showtime president at that time but the actors of Justin and Brian wanted to end it.

by Anonymousreply 150February 13, 2022 8:37 AM

The problem, r148, is the idea that there's a community of "LGBT folks". LGB maybe. LGBT, no.

by Anonymousreply 151February 13, 2022 11:38 AM

The same thing happened with the Tales of the City reboot. Took the lives of gay men and lesbians and turned it into transmen, trans women, non-binary people that nobody cares about. It was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 152February 13, 2022 1:16 PM

I stopped watching it when they made some legendary drag queen the biological father of the Hal Sparks character. So lame. I was done. The original UK QAF was a mini series. Of course the US has to run it into the ground with multiple seasons.

by Anonymousreply 153February 13, 2022 4:08 PM

I know they rebooted The L Word. I didn't watch the reboot though. Did they keep it about the lesbians ?

by Anonymousreply 154February 13, 2022 4:11 PM

Maupin did that himself with the last two books in his series R152

by Anonymousreply 155February 13, 2022 4:15 PM

R150 There are several reasons why US QAF ended after 5 seasons. The major reason was that Showtime allegedly wanted to broaden its programming and with both QAF and L-Word on the air they felt that could ditch one of their LGBT focused shows. Added to that, the Canadian dollar was on the rise during the final years of the show (one of the reasons they cut the episode orders from 20 to 13 for seasons 3 to 5) and the show was becoming far more expensive to produce. Finally, as you stated, there was tension between the the three lead actors. Randy Harrison wanted off the show (although I think all the actors had six season deals so I'm not sure he could have left unless producers agreed to it) and Hal Sparks, Gale Harold and Harrison were basically not on speaking terms by the 5th season. I think everyone involved just felt it was time to call it a day. The Executive Producers also admitted they were running out of story lines too.

by Anonymousreply 156February 13, 2022 4:34 PM

R156 ohh… any idea why the three leads stopped being on speaking terms?

by Anonymousreply 157February 13, 2022 5:08 PM

I highly recommend Russell T Davis miniseries “It’s a Sin”. It was way better than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 158February 13, 2022 5:37 PM

Primarily, r154, even though there's a woman who chopped her tits off and is supposedly a man and a man who pretends to be a lesbian. The L Word was always aimed at a lesbian audience, though, while I'm not sure if QAF is as audience-specific.

They "updated" The L Word by calling it The L Word - Generation Q (queer) but I think it's mainly been lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 159February 13, 2022 6:25 PM

I think The L Word did have some male viewers because it had a lot of beautiful women. Just like Desperate Housewives. But most of the viewership would still be women though.

QAF had a big female audience because again attractive men having tons of gay sex. Of course gays watched it but we're a minority. I think women in general are more invested in soap opera style shows.

by Anonymousreply 160February 13, 2022 7:00 PM

The supporting cast of the original American series is close - Peter Paige, Scott Lowell, Robert Gant, Sharon Gless and Michellle Clunie. It’s extremely rare for Randy Harrison, Hal Sparks AND Gale Harold to all appear together at reunions so I think the poster who mentioned a rift between the 3 leads is likely right. I think Randy Harrison, in particular, has moved on and tried to distance himself from the show.

by Anonymousreply 161February 13, 2022 7:27 PM

R157 The gossip goes that Hal Sparks and Gale Harold just didn't get on well very pretty much from the start of the show: apparently in a couple interviews later in the show's run, Hal hinted at tensions with Gale and Randy Harrison. The unsubstantiated theory is that Hal was upset that the direction of the show moved away from the Brian/Michael relationship towards the Brian/Justin one and this probably led to some jealousy. Hal was also, being a stand-up comedian, a bit of a clown on set and Gale (and Randy too) were more serious and that may have also caused tensions. However, I don't think Gale/Hal actually loathed each other and in recent years, they've seemed amicable on the rare occasions they've been seen together. Although Hal isn't my cup of tea, he seems annoying IMO, I'll give him credit that he seems very proud of his connection to QAF and he did get the actor who played his boyfriend during the first season fired for being a homophobic douche. Gale seems less enthused about his time on QAF.

Now, Randy Harrison seems to have hated working on Queer as Folk, and I think even as early as the end of the first season he wanted off the show. Even when he was on the show, he was fairly critical of it in interviews. He has almost completely distanced himself from the show now and I think has only made one or two appearances with the other cast since the show went off the air. He apparently hated the Justin/Brian relationship, he felt Justin depended on Brian too much and he should've been allowed to explore other relationships (which I think he did in later seasons just to appease Randy). Hal has openly trashed Randy in the past (basically say he complained about everything). From what has been said, if Showtime had renewed the show for a sixth season, Justin would still have moved away to New York at the end of the fifth season and Randy written out of the show, but Gale also wanted out too and that's pretty much why the show ended. Gale/Randy didn't get along either but I think that had to do with neither particularly like the writing of their characters and they both wanted off the show but Randy whined about it a lot and Gale doesn't seem like a whiner.

As R161 says, the supporting cast is close except Thea Gill who seems to have gone a little crazy in recent years. In the 2018 reunion, Thea seemed miserable the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 162February 13, 2022 8:07 PM

I watched both the UK and US series back in the late 00s it would've been. I watched every episode, but I never really enjoyed this show the way I enjoyed The L Word. The L Word seemed to have more interesting characters to me, plus a camp sensibility that lined up more with mine, especially season 4.

But I think also, there was a cynicism in both versions of Queer as Folk that I probably wasn't as comfortable watching, which is all on me. The men in these shows didn't treat other gay men very well, and I think deep down I knew there was a truth in that that I didn't want to face - in my youth I wanted to believe the community was tight knit and strong against all the hate out there, and these shows undermined that. I remember hating the scene in the UK version where one of the guys dies and the rest of them just complain about having to be at his funeral and how they weren't really his friends.

I'm sure It's a Sin is great - Davies is very good at writing people at the household level, if you get me, but I cannot watch another show about gay men suffering, being abandoned and the meanness in the community. I live in la la land sometimes I know, but it stops me spiralling too much into despair at least.

by Anonymousreply 163February 14, 2022 1:03 AM

Shameless also became “woke” for a few seasons and Ian the main gay character even had a FTM boyfriend before he went back to Mickey.

Here is a clip of Ian being introduce to gender identity people and it’s hilarious because it’s not suppose to be funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 14, 2022 1:09 AM

ETA: that scene also won a GLAAD award…

by Anonymousreply 165February 14, 2022 1:11 AM

I stopped watching Shameless when that happened r164

by Anonymousreply 166February 14, 2022 1:13 AM

R166, Cameron(Ian) wanted to leave he didn’t like how his character was being portrayed as a Gay jesus anarchist activist who set a van on fire and being in a relationship with a FTM(Trevor) who he now has to bottom for (with a dildo)when all through the show he was a TOP. S9 was suppose to be his last season but the producers didn't like that 2 of their main actors were leaving so they negotiated with him that Noel(Mickey) will come back in s10 and so he decided to return.

by Anonymousreply 167February 14, 2022 1:24 AM

One of the problems with the US QAF is that the executive producers were two old queens who still thought it was the 70s. Some of the issues presented on the show felt dated even in the early 00s.

R162 I remember reading somewhere that Gale Harold's issue with the show was he didn't like the "soap opera like" writing style the show adopted as it went on. One thing that did happen was the actors began complaining about the number of sex scenes and that's why in later seasons the sex is toned down.

by Anonymousreply 168February 14, 2022 5:21 AM

I must admit, those sex scenes got pretty boring, pretty fast.

by Anonymousreply 169February 14, 2022 8:05 AM

R169 speak for yourself

by Anonymousreply 170February 14, 2022 8:16 AM

I hope Cameron Monaghan received some kind of hazard pay bonus for that scene, one of the most mortifying things I've ever seen on television.

by Anonymousreply 171February 14, 2022 8:36 AM

R170, I was also a gay teen in 2000. Initially I found those scenes exciting (I particularly remember enjoying the one with Emmett and the closeted football player) but over time it seemed to be the exact same cookie cutter looking men, at least to me. :)

by Anonymousreply 172February 14, 2022 9:48 AM

I just read that L Word Generation Q has been renewed for the 3rd season.

by Anonymousreply 173February 14, 2022 9:54 AM

R160, straight men might watch The L Word for the hot lesbians, but they're still not the audience its made for. American QAF was made for a broader audience than gay men, and it's probably going to be even worse this time round.

by Anonymousreply 174February 14, 2022 10:30 AM

Nearly all the people I know who watch The L Word are straight women.

by Anonymousreply 175February 14, 2022 10:34 AM

I wish there would be an Asian reboot callen Oriental As Fok.

by Anonymousreply 176February 14, 2022 11:17 AM

called

by Anonymousreply 177February 14, 2022 11:17 AM

I could play the trans Asian character who struggles for acceptance amongst the bio-Asians.

by Anonymousreply 178February 14, 2022 11:20 AM

R162 I think Randy Harrison just didn't want to do television in general. After the show ended, he moved to New York and has worked steadily, and almost exclusively, in theater. As of 2021, while still acting, he is in graduate school and earning a PhD to become a psychologist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179February 14, 2022 4:14 PM

I feel old realizing that Randy Harrison is in his mid-40s now. He has aged well.

by Anonymousreply 180February 14, 2022 4:39 PM

All Trans

All The Time

by Anonymousreply 181February 15, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote]Although Hal isn't my cup of tea, he seems annoying IMO, I'll give him credit that he seems very proud of his connection to QAF and he did get the actor who played his boyfriend during the first season fired for being a homophobic douche.

Ah, you've reminded me of my seething hatred of Chris Potter, and the lovely schadenfreude I felt at his subsequent career consisting mostly of those awful Hallmark "The Good Witch" TV movies for the better part of a decade!

by Anonymousreply 182February 15, 2022 10:19 PM

This thread is transporting me back to the dozens of Gale Harold threads on DL when I first found the site.

If I remember it all correctly, the fan-frau consensus was that Sparks was angry because he was the only actor on the series who had ever really worked before and he felt he was promised top billing and then the show quickly became all about Harold and Harrison. And that Harold and Harrison thought they would get the Serious Actor props that Aiden Gillen and Charlie Hunnam were getting for UK QAF, only the showrunners, who were as R168 describes, were intent on doing a cheesy soap opera style show, and then there was the whole fan frau thing where they would stalk both actors and basically turned them into teen idols.

I did feel badly that a good 10-15 years after the show went off the air, it seemed that there were fraus who continued to stalk both of them, showing up at their houses and such.

by Anonymousreply 183February 15, 2022 10:37 PM

Gay men being converted in the name of Transtianity is practically a pre-requisite nowadays. Faking It, Shameless, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, all of these are shows where "exclusionary" (aka homosexual) gay men are re-educated to overcome their "bigotry" and become more "inclusive" (of having sex and dating transgender-identified females).

Old school homophobia repackaged to appear progressive.

by Anonymousreply 184February 20, 2022 8:23 PM

"Queer as Folk premieres on Peacock June 9, and will feature a cavalcade of guest stars including Kim Cattrall, Juliette Lewis, Ed Begley, Jr., Lukas Gage, and Nyle DiMarco." Some photos at the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 13, 2022 5:30 PM

The fact that R185’s article lists every actor’s preferred pronouns AS WELL AS every character’s pronouns tell me all I need to know.

I won’t be watching.

by Anonymousreply 186April 13, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote] This show looks like a bunch of woke garbage. Trying to paint a picture of America that doesn't exist.

The Klan Grannies think that Cockgobbler Aaron Schock is the only proper representation of the "gay" community.

by Anonymousreply 187April 13, 2022 5:52 PM

Hardest of passes.

by Anonymousreply 188April 13, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] I watched both the UK and US series back in the late 00s it would've been. I watched every episode, but I never really enjoyed this show the way I enjoyed The L Word. The L Word seemed to have more interesting characters to me, plus a camp sensibility that lined up more with mine, especially season 4.

100% agree. The first iteration of "The L Word" was far more entertaining that either version of QAF. And I am a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 189April 13, 2022 5:58 PM

Fin Argus (they/them) as Mingus (he/him/they/them) ...

by Anonymousreply 190April 13, 2022 6:02 PM

This old queen doesn't have it in him. I'll be skipping it to watch my mysteries and period dramas. I did like the original British version and struggled through the US one.

by Anonymousreply 191April 13, 2022 6:07 PM

Why is everything now about gender? I came out very young and sucked hundreds of cocks, but never once struggled with whether or not I am a man. I never met that many gay men who did. But now you can’t have more than three gay characters who are not also themselves dysphoric, nb, or dating someone who is. It’s fucking exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 192April 13, 2022 6:11 PM

Hard pass

by Anonymousreply 193April 13, 2022 6:14 PM

[quote]Why is everything now about gender? I came out very young and sucked hundreds of cocks, but never once struggled with whether or not I am a man.

I'm only talking of myself here (ie of course other people are different), but I am very similar to you. In fact, it was really important to me growing up, and I took some pride in, being not like the other boys - that is, what a boy SHOULD be, but still a boy, if you get me? I was into lifesaving AND dancing AND cars AND musicals. And I strongly refuted anyone who claimed that I was lesser than a man because of that.

by Anonymousreply 194April 13, 2022 8:35 PM

^PS, and I just want to apologise if I seem a bit glib there, like I'm just reducing gender issues to likes and dislikes, which wasn't my intention. Just in case it came across like that.

by Anonymousreply 195April 13, 2022 8:53 PM

The fact the pronouns have to be given for both characters and actors …No thank you! I’m exhausted already. No way in hell I’ll be watching this.

by Anonymousreply 196April 13, 2022 8:57 PM

The UK version of QAF lacked a camp sensibility?!

by Anonymousreply 197April 13, 2022 11:39 PM

R137 Ew. WTF. Whoever styled that poor guy should be charged with a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 198April 13, 2022 11:59 PM

The UK version was only let down by the fact its lead character (was it Stuart?) was meant to be smoking hot when in fact the actor was greasy and quite…unattractive. But, then, it had Charlie Hunnam getting rimmed, so all was forgiven. The first US one was another of a slog for me to get through. But this…this isn’t for me whatsoever. The fact it’s written and produced by that Jaclyn person was all the warning I needed.

by Anonymousreply 199April 14, 2022 9:25 AM

Nahhh, I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 200April 14, 2022 9:28 AM

Get it right this time? The first two iterations were fine, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 201April 14, 2022 9:29 AM

Aidan Gillen's character was not meant to be smoking hot. There are numerous lines in the script where characters express that they're unimpressed with him. When the mother character sees him naked, she remarks "I've seen better." The seduction scene in the US version, with Harold in a jockstrap, has given people the wrong impression about what the British version's intentions. In the audio commentary, Davies remarked that they filmed the opening like a horror scene but cut back on it in the edit. Part of it is left, though, when Gillen's character pours the water over himself. It's not meant to be a porn fantasy moment. It's meant to signal that Gillen's character is unpredictable and not wound too tight.

by Anonymousreply 202April 14, 2022 9:37 AM

The smitten character remarks: "If we knew what he said to them.." in reference to the two guys Gillen's characters picks up at the same time in the club. "If we knew the magic words... but he says them for all of us." The Gillen character is meant to be someone who works their magic, not a Godlike beauty who just has to turn up. It surprises me when people miss this... but gay men can dismiss on sight, so I get it.

by Anonymousreply 203April 14, 2022 9:39 AM

The show seems to want to attract a very narrow audience. I can’t imagine anyone watching this other than nonbinary, pansexual, etc. individuals.

by Anonymousreply 204April 14, 2022 11:17 AM

I'll watch the scene(s) in which Kim Cattrall appears, but that's all I'm committing to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 14, 2022 11:31 PM

The original US was a guilty pleasure when I was a teenager. This new version..sorry but hard pass. It'll be cancelled after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 206April 14, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote]I'll watch the scene(s) in which Kim Cattrall appears, but that's all I'm committing to.

Yeah, I'll probably check out those scenes if they are on YouTube myself.

I might, [italic]might[/italic], watch the episode written by Roxane Gay, for a laugh. But it may prove too [italic]exhausting[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 207April 14, 2022 11:37 PM

I find it funny how the three enby actors with they/them and nonbinary bios and the masculine one that took a picture at the gym on a tutu have now erased their nonbinary bullshit. I guess the moment that masculine black gay was cast on Hacks he realized he had a better future playing a gay guy than some RPG nonsense pandering to woke crowds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208May 12, 2022 5:52 PM

I hope Catrall gets a good wig this time.

by Anonymousreply 209May 12, 2022 6:08 PM

The article describes de reboot like a Soprano's kind of thing where characters are anti heroes and nasty and that we should be able to embrace this side of our community. How blind can someone be? Shows depicting vile people are on a record low. This will tank big time. Pulse shooting, really? People being miserable on top of nasty and "flawed" antiheroes. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 210May 12, 2022 9:57 PM

What is enby? I can’t keep up with these new terms.

by Anonymousreply 211May 12, 2022 10:02 PM

Enby = NB = "non binary"

by Anonymousreply 212May 12, 2022 10:16 PM

Thanks, R212. That I’ve heard of.

by Anonymousreply 213May 12, 2022 10:36 PM

the original US version was kind of a bedrock of my emerging gayness when I was a teenager. I would watch the show with the closed captioning on and the volume turned low so my parents wouldn't wake up and hear. Yes, the original was poorly written, badly acted, and lacked diversity, but it really was my first exposure to a gay majority narrative.

This new show looks like total BS. It's great that the cast isn't blindingly white, but where is the gay?

by Anonymousreply 214May 12, 2022 11:16 PM

And there's not a single person in the new cast that any gay men would actually want to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 215May 12, 2022 11:17 PM

HARD pass.

by Anonymousreply 216May 12, 2022 11:18 PM

No Brian Kinney? Thank No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 217May 12, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote]where characters are ... nasty and that we should be able to embrace this side of our community.

No thanks. I've been exposed enough to the nastier men in our community. They're mostly pathetic and don't really merit a television show about them.

by Anonymousreply 218May 13, 2022 11:21 PM

It BETTER star a trans woman of color!

by Anonymousreply 219May 13, 2022 11:23 PM

I still love the UK queer as folk but this will probably suck like the first American version

by Anonymousreply 220May 13, 2022 11:25 PM

R214 you naive fool, you thought that "diversity equity and inclusion" included you? No, you were just being used, which is fine when the goal is equality and equal opportunity and proportional representation. But that's not the goal, you only thought it was. You thought that these woke people were genuine in their "anti rascism" lmao no. The goal was equity not equality and it is too late now for you to understand the difference you should have appreciated years ago!!!

by Anonymousreply 221May 14, 2022 12:43 AM

Will the transes be everywhere in this like they were in the Tales of the City reboot?

by Anonymousreply 222May 14, 2022 12:44 AM

This show is trash and anti-gay.

[quote] Whites are still the great majority in the US (70%)

Whites are not 70% of the US population.

by Anonymousreply 223May 14, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote] That’s why none of our characters are perfect and they’re constantly shifting and making difficult, selfish decisions or mistakes. We want to let them do that because that’s what we let Don Draper and Tony Soprano do. We’ve had so many antiheroes, but we rarely get to see the kind of diversity that we have in this show. We rarely get to see those people depicted in a way that includes their flaws.

I wonder if they're gonna justify the killer, like internalized homophobia. Sounds like it. Will the shooter be Muslim too? I bet he'll be a white supremacist instead.

by Anonymousreply 224May 14, 2022 3:14 AM

Was the show released, or are the trolls still trolling about stuff they haven't seen a single second of?

by Anonymousreply 225May 14, 2022 3:50 AM

The characters in the original QaF (both UK and US) were pretty flawed and made lots of mistakes and selfish decisions too, I have to admit.

by Anonymousreply 226May 14, 2022 6:22 AM

Something that didn’t need to happen.

by Anonymousreply 227May 14, 2022 6:31 AM

It premieres in less than a month and no trailer yet.

by Anonymousreply 228May 15, 2022 10:26 PM

Full trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 18, 2022 6:16 PM

This looks even worse than I imagined it was going to be

by Anonymousreply 230May 18, 2022 6:19 PM

The show centers around a mass shooting?!? WTF?

Who is the audience for this? I could barely get through the 2 minute trailer.

by Anonymousreply 231May 18, 2022 6:24 PM

[quote]Who is the audience for this?

Fraus. Like everything gay themed nowadays

by Anonymousreply 232May 18, 2022 6:37 PM

Fraus liked the original US one; they aren't going to like this. I don't really see it having an audience.

by Anonymousreply 233May 18, 2022 6:52 PM

R232- THE gay show that Fraus loved was Will And Grace. Will was a straight woman's fantasy of an Urban Gay Male.

by Anonymousreply 234May 18, 2022 7:38 PM

I think it looks great. Can't wait to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 235May 18, 2022 7:59 PM

Couldn’t even get through the trailer. Just turned me off in every conceivable way. Not for me at all.

by Anonymousreply 236May 18, 2022 9:33 PM

I hate coming to DL and seeing the goddamn OP pic at the top of the threads.

by Anonymousreply 237May 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Every sexuality under the sun, a handicapped person in a wheelchair, sign language…that all you got? The show seems to be trying way too hard to be inclusive which is rather annoying when it’s to this extreme.

by Anonymousreply 238May 18, 2022 10:58 PM

I didn't see a diesel dyke riding her Harley down the causeway, so they missed at least one. Maybe masculinity is considered toxic on this show even if it's possessed by a woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 19, 2022 3:06 AM

I saw a production still with a tranny wearing a shirt that says “A girl without a dick is like an Angel without its wings” and that told me everything I needed to know about this project.

So what is it? More incessant bullshit about black/brown trauma? But because those black/brown people identify as a tree, suddenly it’s a queer narrative? Is it about black/brown women with husbands but thought a girl was pretty once so it’s a necessary queer storyline that deserves prominence because most woke people are secretly grossed out by same sex sex?

I love that this is the approach they took and that they’re premiering it on a struggling app. They deserve to lose every cent they do on this.

by Anonymousreply 240May 19, 2022 6:01 AM

If the shooter turns out to be white, I'll laugh so hard. It's like those queer for Palestine people. If he turns out to be Muslim but they blame it on homophobia, this will get a backlash. Just saying. I wonder if these are possibilities for the shocking ending he talks about during that interview. Either way this won't go well. I love Dunn but I think this show is tone deaf in a lot of ways. Saying that lesbians without a dick are like angels without wings is sexist and an insult to lesbians and women in general.

by Anonymousreply 241May 19, 2022 7:42 PM

Most of the non binary actors on this are already playing cis roles elsewhere. They've deleted their nonbinary pictures and did away with the made up pronouns and are now being hired for gigs. Isn't capitalism amazing? It literally changes our gender.

by Anonymousreply 242May 19, 2022 7:48 PM

[quote] sign language…

Nyle DiMarco is the only good thing about this show.

by Anonymousreply 243May 19, 2022 7:55 PM

I don't understand why they name this Queer as folk when it's pretty obvious it has nothing to do with the original.

Diversity is fine but you need to tell a storyline and this looks like simply pushing the talking points. It doesn't seem funny or interesting at all

by Anonymousreply 244May 19, 2022 7:57 PM

BTW isn't Juliette Lewis a Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 245May 19, 2022 7:57 PM

I wonder how much involved Russel T. Davis is with this now that he got the Doctor Who gig?

And, while I don't mind, this doesn't look like the gritty UK version at all. More like the campy US Showtime version.

by Anonymousreply 246May 19, 2022 10:07 PM

It looks like a show that wants to be treated as serious drama but the characters look like clowns so who wouldn't laugh at them? I'm back bitches, shakes ass. Rrly?

by Anonymousreply 247May 19, 2022 10:12 PM

When The L Word came back, they took out a lot of the campier moments from the original show (and quite frankly, a lot of the fun). I wonder if the same thing will happen with the tone for this reboot? In fact, rather than "campier" I'd describe those moments as the "gay sensibility" type moments, if you get me. But perhaps that type of gay sensibility doesn't exist anymore?

by Anonymousreply 248May 20, 2022 7:29 AM

R244 Queer as Folk was envisioned by Russell T. Davis as a gritty gay ensemble show. The original American version became a much more of campy soap opera, but stuck true to the notion of exploring friendships between gay men. Now, I will say that the original US version lacked diversity but this new version seems to be everything but gay. Apparently there is actually only one gay character in a cast of nine characters. I'm assuming in Hollywood today, it's impossible to make a show the focuses primarily on men.

by Anonymousreply 249May 21, 2022 4:14 AM

The show looks like a diversity slogan. You can have a diverse cast and do it very well (Heartstopper is a perfect example) but this looks more about the message than about the storytelling.

I still don't understand the name because this has nothing to do with the original

by Anonymousreply 250May 21, 2022 11:08 AM

We’re getting erased from our own stories.

An MTF tranny and a butch black lesbian are a straight couple.

You can see a straight couple on every other show on every other network, but they feel entitled to our stories too.

by Anonymousreply 251May 21, 2022 11:19 AM

Jaclyn Moore and Roxanne Gay both have the King Midas touch. Except everything they touch turns into shit instead of gold.

by Anonymousreply 252May 21, 2022 11:34 AM

Haha, R252! True!

When is this show out, anyway? I'm curious to hear how Roxy's episode is received.

by Anonymousreply 253May 28, 2022 2:22 AM

Let’s face it, there’s no room for gays anymore in this so-called community. They treat us like breeders. We’re too mainstream. Let them have their freak show. Unfortunately though they’re going to do everything in their power to drag us down with them until the rest of society hates us because they’re so insane. These gay organizations need to cut the crap and come out as tranny enterprises b

by Anonymousreply 254May 28, 2022 3:26 AM

Transphobic nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 255May 28, 2022 3:31 AM

R10 It's always so bad. And it's always a town that everyone knows everyone in. Yet the town is big enough to have a town hall the size of state capitol lol. Yeah the writers are usually from New England, they went to Ivy Leagues, and they spent their entire lives despising the South, but then they get hired to do a show about it.

by Anonymousreply 256May 28, 2022 3:47 AM

Stephen Dunn said he lived there and had a ltr with someone there.

by Anonymousreply 257May 28, 2022 4:39 AM

Anyone watching this? It’s not that bad so far. There is one MYF trans and a couple of drag queens, but plenty of gay men. Yes, most of the main characters are POC. It’s an interesting take on how the survivors of a nightclub shooting felt about the attention it attracted.

by Anonymousreply 258June 12, 2022 6:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259June 12, 2022 6:08 PM

Watched 2 episodes so far and I like it very much. It sort of spoofs what the haters and trolls always complain about, the too woke, too commercial, too "straights appropriating gay spaces and gay tragedies", etc.

by Anonymousreply 260June 12, 2022 6:33 PM

The pitch:

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will you see two white normal acting everyday gay guys in a relationship.

Extras ONLY!!

Nobody DOESN'T wear makeup!

EVERYBODY wants to go to a drag show or be a Drag in a Drag show!

EVERYONE must talk as though a thousand purposes dropped out of their mouth.

The Network:

SOLD!!

by Anonymousreply 261June 14, 2022 4:36 PM

It's like a racier version of Freeform's The Fosters and its spin-off Good Trouble. There is sex and lots of "fuck" language, but for the most part, the stories are rather wholesome. More wholesome family drama soap than controversial and sexy. But then, Showtime's Queer As Folk was a soap, a trashy one at that, but still a soap which I liked.

And I don't get the drama regarding the supposed age difference between Brodie and Mingus. Devin Way and Fin Argus look like they are the same age. Actually, in some scenes Fin, with his heavy drag make-up, looks older than Brodie.

by Anonymousreply 262June 14, 2022 4:51 PM

Jesse James Keitel looks like a young Famke Janssen.

by Anonymousreply 263June 14, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote]More wholesome family drama soap than controversial and sexy.

Well, I'd call it a trashy family drama, but yes -- aside from the sex and nudity, it's a pretty standard soap. Nothing deep or challenging revelatory about it. Still, most of the characters are engaging enough, though I've yet to warm to Fin Argus' Devin and Jesse James Keitel's Ruthie.

by Anonymousreply 264June 14, 2022 6:12 PM

Fin Argus strikes me as so tiresome in just the trailer that I'm surprised contact with zhe/them didn't knock Roxanne gay into a years-long coma.

by Anonymousreply 265June 15, 2022 12:52 AM

Just binge-watched the season and overall I like it.

SPOILERS

Nice guest appearances of Megan Stalter (Hacks) and Lukas Gage (Euphoria, The White Lotus, Love Victor) in episode seven as insufferable dinner guests.

Kim Cattrall gets her own fingering moment in ep 7 as well. Take that, Cynthia Nixon.

Love the soap drama. Sure, for a non-disabled person some scenes with the disabled actors and their characters were a bit uncomfortable, but I think it's great that the show gave them some representation.

Had to laugh at the UK QAF shoutout with Brodie moving to Manchester of all places and maybe hooking up with Charlie Hunnam's Nathan Maloney. LOL

by Anonymousreply 266June 16, 2022 2:01 PM

I hate to say it but Roxane Gay’s episode wasn’t that bad. Better than the one before it.

Overall, the show is pretty bad, but I think people are romanticizing the original US QAF. That wasn’t as good as people remember either.

by Anonymousreply 267June 16, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote]I hate to say it but Roxane Gay’s episode wasn’t that bad.

I've recently signed up for Stan after getting a "please come back to us, one month free" email the other day, and I've scrolled past the new Queer as Folk a couple of times now. Maybe I should make some time for it, even if it is bad. I really am curious to see how ol' Roxy goes with her episode at least. And I want to see Kim Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 268August 21, 2022 2:11 AM

🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮

by Anonymousreply 269March 25, 2023 12:46 PM

[quote] but I think people are romanticizing the original US QAF. That wasn’t as good as people remember either.

Perhaps, but at least it was fun, and sexy. It didn't feel like it was trying to be more than what it was, at least to me. And felt like a slice of gay male life that we don't get to see that often, even with all the new material in the last decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 270March 25, 2023 12:51 PM

The problem with modern gay theme shows are the characters become walking talking political tropes of (insert issue). They don't seem to live normal everyday lives doing everyday things that we all do, and experience the universal dramas that we all go through. Love, finance, security etc.

They live in a very narrow band of a particular gay identity and don't vary from that.

In the recent version, it was hard to identity anybody that had a job beyond going to drag shows or aspire to be in a drag show. Everyone spoke like a 1000 purses fell out of their mouths. Every second person seemed to want to transition which in reality is a rare subset of queer culture. In this it was like the norm.

Who lives next door? Well, on the right there is drag queen Trixie and on the other side is Roberta formerly known as Robert. My garbage is collected by 2 lesbians, by the way.

I mean, who lives in that environment? Next to none of us. And they wonder why it failed-even in the Gay community.

by Anonymousreply 271March 26, 2023 7:50 AM

It failed because its a trans centric show using the Pulse massacre to get woke points. It ends with a gay character falling for a woman with a dick. No one wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 272March 26, 2023 1:54 PM

'It ends with a gay character falling for a woman with a dick.'

Really?

About 0.00001% of the gay community will relate to that.

Sounds like it deserved its cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 273March 26, 2023 9:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!