Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Suzanne Pleshette So Damn Cool

Suzanne Pleshette would be 85 today. The beautiful, natural actress & no-bull personality--with that sultry voice--finally found the perfect role as Emily Hartley on "The Bob Newhart Show." My tribute:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2022 12:46 AM

She performed a miracle by making Leona Helmsley attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2022 11:29 PM

She was marvelous in "The Birds." That long scene between her and Tippi Hedren is a classic, and a reminder of how good Hitchcock really was as a director.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2022 11:34 PM

Absolutely one of the most beautiful women to ever grace a television screen. Even as she aged, her looks became more intriguing and defined.

She was also one of the last “broads”. She didn’t suffer fools or foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2022 11:35 PM

The voice of smoking unfiltered Camel cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2022 11:36 PM

We don't have actresses like her anymore, and it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2022 11:38 PM

I'll watch The Birds every time it's on and I love love love Suzanne in it. Such a wonderful layered performance. Watch Pleshette in the scene where Melanie is talking to Mitch on the phone while Annie smokes in the foreground. It's fascinating to see the different emotions playing out just below the surface of Pleshette's seemingly stoic expression. Hurt, anger, jealousy, resignation. Heartbreaking. I always want her to get a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2022 11:43 PM

She bearded for Troy Donahue, then married him. It lasted eight months.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2022 11:44 PM

Love that scene r6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2022 11:46 PM

So unique and she and Bob Newhart were great together.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2022 11:49 PM

Suzanne Pleshette is a prime example of the (sometimes above) average 60s/70s starlet talents certain DLers overpraise. The Joanna Pettet thread going on right now is another example. Pleshette is good in The Birds, but nothing super special. Tuesday Weld is my personal favorite from that forgotten crop, but she wasn't anything truly exceptional either.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2022 11:55 PM

Here's an excellent copy of camp classic "A Rage to Live" on YouTube. Suzanne's crack at John O' Hara suburbia sex!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2022 12:42 AM

Better before the nose jobs (s)

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2022 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!