Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you Italian-American? I hope you don't mind me asking ....

but my question is asked upon good-faith curiosity.

Is the big weekly (monthly?) Sunday meal at the parents, with all the siblings, in-laws, boyfriends, girlfriends, non-binary friends, a real thing?

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2022 11:54 AM

Only if you help make the gravy, OP

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2022 8:51 PM

Hi Mario, I'll have to bring a store-bought jar, if that's ok.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote] Only if you help make the gravy, OP

Sauce!

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2022 8:55 PM

To have all of the siblings together with their kids, plus my parents, was more of a monthly thing lately. And covid created a disruption obviously.

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2022 8:56 PM

[quote]Are you Italian-American?

There's no need to ask. They'll tell you unprompted.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2022 8:59 PM

I can see why even, if Covid weren't an issue, r4, that it would be a monthly thing. Who wants to do all that cooking every week, even if it's pot-luck?

I'm surmising that, like a lot of other ethnic groups where weekly Sunday church was still a thing, post Catholic mass, why not have a meal?

During and post Covid the world sure is different. Socializing, even family socializing, seems to be becoming a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2022 9:02 PM

Yes, big family get togethers on a weekly/monthly basis is quite common in Italian families

... and what does YOUR people do?

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2022 9:04 PM

[quote] even if it's pot-luck

It's a soupluck not a potluck.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2022 9:07 PM

Pow-wows, social events, shared meals, but not too often on Sundays and certainly not now during the pandemic.

I'm Native American, r7

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] and what does YOUR people do?

What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you - no wire hangers ever?!

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2022 9:08 PM

Yes it was growing up.

The meal was at noon or 1:00-ish.

Pasta, braciole, meatballs, sausage, broccoli rabe or green beans , bread, salad, pastries from the bakery.

As an only child with parents/grandparents dead and cousins scattered all over the country and world, the tradition is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2022 9:11 PM

@r9, Cool, why do you ask?

- r7

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2022 9:12 PM

r12, I just ate a couple of plates of spaghetti and meatballs. It's rare for me to have that, especially on a Sunday and it got me to thinking about the depictions in movies such as "The Godfather" about Italian-American families and their Sunday dinners.

I wondered if it was real and still a thing.

Oh, I forgive Columbus, too. It would disrupt my serenity if I hung on to that resentment, so, I don't. Besides, North America wasn't going to go unnoticed.

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote]Are you Italian-American? I hope you don't mind me asking ...

May I suck the cream out of your big Canoli?

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2022 9:21 PM

An Italian Sunday dinner is the occasion for family bonding and celebration. There is no need for a special occasion, it happens every Sunday. The family gets together for lunch right after Sunday Mass: 6 Italian meal courses and everyone is involved in the preparation, in one way or another.

Italian Sunday dinner is actually at lunchtime. The meal takes so long to eat that often it will last to dinner time.

Traditionally lunches were the most important meals of the day. After lunch people would go for a nap and have a light dinner at night.

Italian meals have a completely different structure compared to other countries.

We love abundance!

For a family Sunday dinner, we have a minimum of 6 courses including:

Appetizers/stuzzichino

Primo piatto: first dish which is usually pasta, risotto, soup or gnocchi

Secondo piatto: second dish: fish or meat

Contorno: side dish: vegetables and/or potatoes

Cheese

Fruits and/or desserts

Espresso and liqueur to close

For drinks, we only serve water or wine, no sugary drinks.

The drinks have to combine with the meal and enhance, not overwhelm, the flavors.

We end the meals with an espresso or/and a liqueur to help the digestion.

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2022 9:22 PM

I had an eyegasm reading your post, r15

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2022 9:26 PM

@r13, Naturally inquisitive is good

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2022 9:26 PM

I'm on a diet...could I just suckle on a big Eye-talian cock during this marathon meal?

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2022 9:27 PM

No wonder old Italian women get so fat..

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2022 9:28 PM

Do you eat this big Sunday meal in the upstairs kitchen...

or the downstairs kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2022 9:29 PM

^ Upstairs winter, downstairs summer

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2022 9:30 PM

Didn't you mother ever just fix you a bowl of soup for your Sunday meal?

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2022 9:31 PM

I get so hot for Italian-American men. I really do. I want to suck n fuck em so bad!

by Anonymousreply 23January 30, 2022 9:31 PM

[quote]I get so hot for Italian-American men. I really do. I want to suck n fuck em so bad!

And you probably can...

but you can never take care of them the way their mothers did

by Anonymousreply 24January 30, 2022 9:32 PM

My mother was always on a diet.

She'd say, "I'm having a Figurine bar. Would you like me to make you a sandwich?"

by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2022 9:34 PM

Similar to R11, we did that growing up but all the parents, aunts and uncles are all dead and everyone moved away.

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2022 9:34 PM

Italians are very sensual...

Were there ever any male cousin make-out sessions?

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2022 9:39 PM

Omg I loved Figurine bars! I was a fat gayling and could eat the whole box easy. I think they were made from puffed tree bark or something.

by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2022 9:40 PM

@r26, Yep, same in my family :(

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2022 9:40 PM

My family did it every Sunday until the pandemic. Usually 15-20 would attend, sometimes a few more. Now it's once a month or every six weeks. I begged my mother to change it to monthly years ago. It was like her cooking Thanksgiving every Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2022 9:41 PM

Was anybody out in their families? Did you bring your partners to Sunday dinner?

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2022 9:42 PM

^ Yes, I did, never a problem. One thing about Italians, love is love no matter who it is

by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2022 9:45 PM

[quote] Who wants to do all that cooking every week, even if it's pot-luck?

Even with all the cooking and dishes, I’d rather have everyone come to me. I hate being out of the house on Sunday nights.

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2022 9:47 PM

Sentimental fool that I am, this thread has me verklempt, and I'm not Italian-American, or Jewish, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2022 9:48 PM

Mama Mia! This a-thread! She's a- gonna enda in tears!

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2022 9:49 PM

It does my heart good to see the "upstairs/downstairs kitchen" mentioned.

I could never figure out why my mother and grandmother preferred their basement kitchens to their actual kitchens.

Did anyone else's fathers/grandfathers/uncles put Anisette or Sambuca in their coffee?

I hated the Chinotto Italian soda when I was a kid but love it as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2022 9:50 PM

R33, that sounds like my parents. Their house (my family home) is still the nexus of all family get-togethers, even though it makes sense for one of us to host (a more central location, can accommodate people). But my parents are elderly and home-bodies, and getting them to not host is like pulling teeth.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2022 9:50 PM

I came here for the Puppazza reference

I leave disappointed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2022 9:53 PM

I love the Italian focus on digestion. I got a long lecture in Rome once for trying to order a cappuccino after noon, which is apparently a big no-no because of dairy harming the ability to digest the rest of the day’s meals.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2022 9:55 PM

Not my family, but it might as well have been...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2022 9:56 PM

Shit R40- They sure is UGLY!

by Anonymousreply 41January 30, 2022 10:14 PM

Anthony's mother is yelling for him for Sunday dinner out the window in Boston's North End.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 30, 2022 10:42 PM

" They sure is UGLY! "

Not all of us...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 30, 2022 10:48 PM

Momma's boys!

by Anonymousreply 44January 30, 2022 11:11 PM

R43- That's better. And I am half Italian. Where the fuck was that picture from? It looked like a Mental Institution Cafeteria.

Let's represent, Okay!?

And this thread is actually really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 45January 30, 2022 11:48 PM

^ I don't know I just googled "Italian family" I'm half Italian too

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2022 12:30 AM

Oh, you don't want to go that route. One advantage to dating closet cases is that you don't have to attend dinners with your boyfriend's family.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2022 1:10 AM

^ What if you like your boyfriend's family?

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2022 2:19 AM

That type of weekly family meal is still portrayed weekly on Blue Bloods, though the family portrayed is Irish, not Italian. But Catholic after Midday Sunday Mass.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2022 2:30 AM

Our family was very atypically Sicilian and only gathered together for Christmas Eve, weddings, and funerals. Oh, and for swap meets.

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2022 3:12 AM

R41, I think the guy in front of the tv is pretty handsome.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2022 4:14 AM

We pretty much stopped doing anything like that once my grandparents passed away. But it wasn't specifically on Sundays, it could be any weekend day really. Might be a Friday evening or a Saturday afternoon.

I attended a Catholic school & church in a predominantly Italian neighborhood, and Fridays were the best because they sold pizza's. We always got pizza for lunch, it was $3 for half a pizza. The cafeteria would smell amazing. You could smell it all throughout the school actually. During lent they also sold huge fish dinners.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2022 4:18 AM

What does the pizza possess?

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2022 4:38 AM

R22 No soup, pasta fasul

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2022 4:47 AM

It possesses tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, black olives, and basil.

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2022 5:14 AM

Wait someone please layout the time line. If these Sundays dinners take all morning to prepare, when are these cooking grandmother's going to church?

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2022 11:15 AM

[quote] You could smell it all throughout the school actually. During lent they also sold huge fish dinners.

Oh, that brought back memories. All the other kids complained about school lunches. I liked them.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2022 12:20 PM

r56 Nonna went to 6:00 A.M. mass, or she'd never have time to get everything done. Plus she stopped off at the local Italian bakery to pick up the cannoli, sfogliatelle, cream puffs, etc. Maybe a cheesecake.

Everybody came to the house I grew up in, it was my grandmother's. We were 6 originally, but as people married in and kids came along, it got a bit crowded. Like so many upthread have said, once nonna died, that was it, nobody wanted to do all that work. For my grandmother it was never work, only joy and love to have everyone together. I never remember her sitting down with us, as things had to be kept going in the kitchen. And it was only in her later years that she accepted washing-up help.

Gone are the days, and we're all a bit poorer for it. Salute, nonna!.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2022 12:23 PM

I had a similar experience to Bronze’s. Oh, how I miss my Nan (she thought Nan was chicer than Nonna) and her cooking! And she made it seem effortless. My mom (not Italian) learned to cook all the Italian favorites. For dessert, black and white cookies or cannolis from Arthur Ave. I guess I should’ve learned how to cook from them but I didn’t.

I can still smell their kitchens…

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2022 12:32 PM

I our family, Sunday dinner at Grandma's was always a thing. My mother had 4 sisters. At least two or three would show up for dinner and the one who lived farthest would come after dinner. Saturday and Sunday morning would be about cooking. (The men went to church with the kids.) We'd eat dinner around 2-2:30 PM. Then the men would sit in the living room or outside on the porch and discuss politics (argue) and sports while the women sat in the dining room and gossiped and criticized the kids. All of them. We all had mothers, but we were raised by a committee of aunts. And all the Italian kids I knew did the same. If Grandma was dead it went to the oldest sister. Around 6 PM the sisters would put out a light buffet left from dinner, and then everyone would go home after Ed Sullivan. Oh. The Men ate first, separate from the women and kids.

by Anonymousreply 60January 31, 2022 12:44 PM

"The Men ate first, separate from the women and kids. "

Man, you guys were hard core, I never heard of such a thing

by Anonymousreply 61January 31, 2022 12:47 PM

is there sex on sundays?

by Anonymousreply 62January 31, 2022 12:51 PM

R61, we're Calabrese, not Sicilian.

by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote] We all had mothers, but we were raised by a committee of aunts.

This was my childhood too, but Irish instead of Italian. And no one could really cook. Many of them didn’t drink much either, because of the alcoholism in the family. So it was mostly just sitting around eating penny candy and little appetizers.

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2022 12:57 PM

"is there sex on sundays? "

Only with the wives

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2022 1:05 PM

My stepfather's family were German Americans but had, probably turn of century, been Jews who converted to Catholicism. This was not that unusual in Central Europe. They also had these large dinners on the weekend that went on for hours. Sorta German/sorta Jewish. I bet it was a standard immigrant, second and third generation thing, that outside some groups and families is now sadly ended. The family on Moonstruck reminds me of my stepfather's family although they were not Italian.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2022 1:07 PM

Yes, OP, it is. When I was young, my parents moved from Brooklyn to Hicksville (they should have just left me in Flatbush, but I was three years old and fairly adorable). Up until I was 13, we'd schlepp into Brooklyn reguarly for meals at my paternal grandmother's. I sat at the small card table at the end for years. Grandma did all the cooking for I'd say twenty, whilst grandpa sat on the stairs drinking dago red from a Log Cabin syrup bottle. For years I thought he was drinking Log Cabin Syrup. I can still remember picturing how the throat would contract from doing that.

I have two regrets in life. One of them was that I didn't call dibs on a plate my grandmother had over her sink of the Statue of Liberty (she came over on the boat with my grandfather to start a new life in The United States). I always admired it but we moved away and I failed to twig to its aquisition when my father went back to NY after she died. Heigh ho.

by Anonymousreply 67January 31, 2022 1:34 PM

None of the Italian Americans I know have big Sunday dinners, nor are they religious or go to church. As each generation becomes more and more assimilated, the old traditions die out.

by Anonymousreply 68January 31, 2022 2:04 PM

Nah, OP.

We all jus' go over to the Olive Garden nowadays.

Mama's sick of cooking now that she got those hormone shots and the hair's not growing on her chest no more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 31, 2022 2:09 PM

r60 Your last sentence reminded me of that scene in one of the "La Cage aux Folles" films where Renato and Albin were on the run from criminals and hiding out with Renato's family. Albin tried to sit down with the men for dinner and was immediately rebuffed. Some things you just didn't do back then. The women ate second, and then began other household chores(Albin was operating a sewing machine IIRC)

by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2022 3:17 PM

There's also a mass on Saturday. My neighbor was a devout Catholic, widower (not Italian) and I remember him going to the Saturday mass. Not sure what time it took place.

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2022 3:23 PM

R59 Are you from Johnston RI?

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2022 3:50 PM

@r59, "I can still smell their kitchens… "

My grandparents house had the most wonderful smell of Italian food that I'll never forget. A few years ago I discovered a local take-out Italian restaurant that has the exact same smell. Between the food and that smell I'm in heaven when I go there for take-out

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2022 4:00 PM

No, the Bronx. Never been to RI.

by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2022 4:31 PM

All of you are posting things from decades ago. Modern Italian-Americans are not what they were like in 1960. Most aren't religious, and most are culturally 100% American at this point in time.

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2022 5:03 PM

This Long Island guido would disagree

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2022 6:10 PM

Here he is “cooking”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 31, 2022 6:10 PM

I grew up in the late 50's ealy60's. When I was little we had no masses on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 78January 31, 2022 10:26 PM

[quote]When I was little we had no masses on Saturday.

How OLD is "little," R78? Three or thirteen?

by Anonymousreply 79January 31, 2022 10:47 PM

thirty-two

by Anonymousreply 80January 31, 2022 11:59 PM

There was an incredible "let's be" thread on here a few years ago that was about an Italian-American family owned and operated NYC pizza parlor in the 1980s/1990s.

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2022 12:02 AM

Here it is. It's genuinely touching at some points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2022 12:03 AM

^ and your point it?

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2022 12:04 AM

R83 seems like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2022 12:15 AM

R84 "seems" like a WASP from Jorsey (jersey).

by Anonymousreply 85February 1, 2022 12:49 AM

Just saying I'm enjoying the thread.

by Anonymousreply 86February 1, 2022 12:49 AM

OK. I checked just to make sure I got it right, and the Saturday Mass that "counted" as fulfilling your obligation for Sunday mass, started with regularity as a result of Vatican II. started during Pope John the 23d, ( the good pope, and a true progressive ancestor to Francis,) . So I was about 7 years old at the time. (I'm 64 and a half now. )

by Anonymousreply 87February 1, 2022 12:57 AM

R31, I am out. My family has known my partner for years.

by Anonymousreply 88February 1, 2022 2:04 AM

^ Me too!

- r32

by Anonymousreply 89February 1, 2022 3:50 AM

It might be the Night Fever.......we know how to do it..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 1, 2022 5:39 AM

i always think of him when i think of eyetalians

by Anonymousreply 91February 1, 2022 12:34 PM

The old timers were so fucking elegant: Vittorio Gassmann, Vittorio De Sica, Marcello Mastroianni, guys like that had class. They had style.

by Anonymousreply 92February 2, 2022 1:02 AM

the old country gays

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2022 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!