Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Great Ty Power as The Great Stanton! "Nightmare Alley"

My latest film take is on 1947's dark drama "Nightmare Alley." Fox didn't want to make this movie, but top star Tyrone Power did. A bleak tale of a con man who goes from carny to spiritualist, before his big downfall, was not a success at the time. Now a film noir classic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2022 10:42 PM

I've been told that Tyrone started with wonky teeth.

They say that in 'The Rains Came' you can see the rubber attachments to fill the gaps in his teeth.

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2022 1:07 AM

He tried to seduce Bob Monkhouse.

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2022 1:14 AM

Maybe Zac Efron should have played in the remake, instead of Grandpa Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2022 1:16 AM

Joan Blondell should have been nominated for supporting actress for this. She may have beaten Celeste home.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2022 1:39 AM

Was Celeste walking, r4?

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2022 1:45 AM

[quote] The Great Ty Power

He was supremely pretty in his 20s but not great.

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2022 1:58 AM

Odd Fact: Tyron's late daughter Tayrn had a few kids with one of Soupy Sales sons, Tony Sales!

Tayrn died from leukemia in June of 2020,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2022 10:17 AM

Joan Blondell is terrific in this. That opening shot of her looking at the carnival crowd, weary, a bit blowsy, but still very sultry, was memorable!

And though Ty looks very handsome in this movie, even before his Stan starts to hit the skids, Power looks a bit dissisipated at just 33.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2022 11:01 AM

Loved the remake. Great performances- although Cate is a little too OTT in this. Cooper is amazing although his filled in face was distracting

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2022 11:10 AM

full feature streaming on youtube /

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2022 11:25 AM

Nightmare Alley download.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2022 12:27 PM

I think Helen Walker was great too. I’m surprised this didn’t launch her into more high profile parts. I found Tyrone very handsome in parts of this film. He was shirtless and dreamy in one particular scene. I love this film. I’ve been reluctant to see the new version because I’m satisfied with this one, but I’ll see it when I can stream it at home.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2022 12:45 PM

R1 I saw that movie and remember thinking how handsome he was in it. I did not notice the teeth. I guess today they would get an authentic Indian actor to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2022 12:46 PM

I wondered why Helen Walker didn't become a bigger star until I researched this piece. Her off-screen life was kind of a mess... But she's awesome in this...

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2022 2:37 PM

Wow, poor Helen. But shame on her for introducing Gail Russell to booze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2022 2:43 PM

Power is so masculine and sexy in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2022 3:43 PM

Power's character in "Nightmare Alley" is sort of the flip side of the spiritual one Ty had just played in "The Razor's Edge."

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2022 6:18 PM

Just watched it this afternoon. There's a scene near the end where Stanton is in a dark hotel room and he asks the bellboy for a bottle. He gets it, then bellboy asks if Stanton wants anything else. Of course the bellboy could be offering to procure a woman for Stanton, then again the bellboy could have been offering himself.

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote] He was shirtless and dreamy

Here, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote] I guess today they would get an authentic Indian actor to play the part.

Yes, R13. This person would be chosen to play surgeon Rama Safti in a new version of Louis Bromfield's 'The Rains Came'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2022 9:55 PM

^ So scruffy compared to Tyrone and Dick Burton who previously played the role.

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2022 10:09 PM

They had faces then!

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2022 10:11 PM

[quote] Cooper is amazing although his filled in face was distracting

R9 Has Cooper had surgery?

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2022 10:18 PM

That hotel scene with the bellboy and con man Ty Power pinged me. Ambiguous, just like Ty! Directed by gay Edmund Goulding.

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2022 10:50 PM

Was Edmund Goulding.very gay? He seemed undetectable to me.

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2022 10:52 PM

i just re watched that bellboy sequence. What a great, subtle bit.

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2022 12:30 AM

God what a great film. sometimes I think Powers was underrated because his great physical presence & beauty was distracting. Some of his best work was so nuanced, so subtle that I missed it first time around. That last scene in Alley is a prime example of this.

I know Razor's edge is often panned, but I flet that performance was so delicate & rich. Love me some Ty. And not just cause he's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2022 1:42 AM

As I wrote in my review, I think Tyrone Power in his prime would have made a great Dorian Gray!

by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2022 11:31 PM

"Nightmare Alley" wasn't that the name of Mario Cantone's kids show?

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2022 11:48 PM

Besides his gappy teeth, Ty had a unibrow that needed constant plucking. Just like Norma Desmond, the camera loved him.

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2022 11:58 PM

[quote] Tyrone Power in his prime would have made a great Dorian Gray!

I wonder. I got the feeling that Dorian was passive. He had beauty but nothing else.

He was there for Basil and Lord Henry to fawn over while they uttered wonderful epigrams.

I don't think Wilde gave him any lines or thoughts at all. He was a slave to his own beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2022 3:04 AM

For r25…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2022 3:56 PM

He had that classic beauty about him. I never heard of him until I saw him in Marie Antoinette. There were moments where his face was breathtakingly handsome. My grandmother was a big fan and loved to see his movies when they were on television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2022 5:44 PM

He made a stunning couple with Linda Darnell.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2022 7:21 PM

Great film. Watched it recently and really enjoyed it. He was wonderful. Always a fan.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2022 7:33 PM

OMG check out the Mark of Zorro. He & Darnell were superb. And Oh Oh Oh those trousers. Boy had a set of legs on him...Yowza!

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2022 8:09 PM

Ty also paired well with Linda Darnell AND Rita Hayworth in Blood and Sand!

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2022 11:21 PM

Wow Blood & Sand. Yup, keep that hunk in those trousers. Rita Hayworth was so evil & so entrancing.

Have to rewatch this film again. When it was magical, not mundane.

by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2022 11:52 PM

Here's a fun one: Son of Fury, with Ty co-starring with Gene Tierney AND Frances Farmer! Gene later wrote that the buzz about Frances' mental health was talk of the set, and a decade later she'd experience the same thing herself. A fun flick, with George Sanders as the baddie natch... And Roddy MacDowall playing Ty's character as a boy. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2022 1:36 AM

Sharon Stone did a remake of BLOOD AND SAND.

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2022 12:27 AM

Thank you for posting this. I’m glad I saw the original version before the remake. Thank you for your links & info. I’m watching the new one this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2022 7:26 PM

Frances Farmer received such low billing in the credits for SON OF FURY. Had she lost her leading lady status by then? I didn’t see Veronica Lake’s name either…

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2022 7:36 PM

Taryn Power was lovely, R7!

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2022 7:57 PM

Scratch Veronica Lake. She’s not in the movie. I saw actress and mental health and I automatically thought of Veronica.

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2022 10:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!