Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sir Ralph Richardson

Let's talk about Sir Ralph Richardson.

I believe he is a severely underrated actor who does not get as much recognition as his contemporaries- Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud, Alec Guinness, Michael Redgrave, Rex Harrison, John Mills, etc.

Richardson was a very shy and quiet man who many in the industry called distant and aloof.

He was in some of very good films: The Citadel, The Four Feathers, Anna Karenina, The Fallen Idol, The Heiress, The Holly and the Ivy, Richard III, Our Man in Havana, Exodus, Long Day's Journey Into Night, The Great War, Doctor Zhivago, Chimes at Midnight, The Wrong Box, Oh! What a Lovely War, The Battle of Britain, Hassan, Tales from the Crypt, Alice's adventure in Wonderland, A Doll's House, Watership Down, Time Bandits, and Greystroke: The Legend of Tarzan.

Yet theatre was where he shines- from Shakespeare to Sheridan to Ibsen to Wilde, Richardson was an immensely talented man who I have always admired. Now, let's give him the respect and appreciation he deserves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2023 10:37 PM

Sir Ralph's Desert Island Disc (1983)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2022 11:00 PM

Sir Ralph reciting the works of William Blake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2022 11:01 PM

Home by David Store starring Sir Ralph and Sir John

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2022 11:02 PM

no one has any comments about Sir Ralph?

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2022 1:56 AM

I do, R4. Richardson delivers a stunning performance in the 1960 film "Oscar Wilde" as Sir Edward Carson, the barrister who destroyed Wilde on the witness stand during the libel trial. Carson, as played by Richardson, doesn't have to say that he has nothing personally against Wilde; of course he doesn't. He's ripping him apart simply as a demonstration of intellectual prowess. His eyes glitter with joy. When he's done with his cross-examination and Wilde's life is effectively over, Richardson stretches out like a contented lion. It's riveting.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2022 2:29 AM

David *Storey*

Good play.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2022 2:39 AM

R5 Oooh. Looking this movie up now and it has an excellent cast- Richardson, Phyllis Calvert, John Neville, Alexander Knox, and Dennis Price.

However, Robert Morley as Oscar Wilde?! Is he good?! I picture Morley as an overweight justice or lawyer, not the man on trial.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2022 2:49 AM

He played God in Time Bandits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2022 3:04 AM

R7, Wilde was rather puffy and dissolute by the time if the trials, so his appearance works in that way. It’s a pretty grim little film overall, and particularly unflattering to Bosie, who honestly was no good.

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2022 3:10 AM

R8 Time Bandits was a hoot! Richardson does have the voice of God.

R9 I will definitely have to watch.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2022 1:23 PM

Supposedly he was once appearing in a modern play and one night he dropped character and walked to the front of the stage and said 'Is there a doctor in the house?'. A man stood up and he said, 'Ah Doctor, isn't this play terrible?', and then went back into character and carried on.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2022 3:27 PM

[quote] Yet theatre was where he shines- from Shakespeare to Sheridan to Ibsen to Wilde, Richardson was an immensely talented man who I have always admired. Now, let's give him the respect and appreciation he deserves.

For theater productions none of us have seen?

While we're at it, let's also give Junius Booth and Sarah Siddons the respect and admiration they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2022 3:35 PM

R12 okay smartass. There are clips and recordings of Richardson reciting or performing the aforementioned works, so calm down.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2022 3:49 PM

I read the only Richardson biography.

And there was lots untold. The story of the brogues; his alleged passion for Margaret; his sole effort at film direction; the ignominy of being sacked via telegram; Meriel; his time in the tropics; his Othello; his sole film in La-La Land; his politics; his taking over from the sick Donat; his illness; his dubbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2022 3:04 AM

R14, I googled and found 2 -- one by John Miller and one by Garry O'Connor. Which did you read?

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2022 3:27 AM

R15 O'Connor.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2022 3:45 AM

Thanks, R16. They're both available from the Link+ service at my library so I'll order them. I've only seen him in a few movies but have loved him in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2022 1:07 PM

Patrick Stewart and Dick Cavett discuss Sir Ralph

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2023 11:32 PM

The Heiress is the film where I "got" Ralph Richardson.....

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2023 1:25 AM

I love his Oscar nominated performance in THE HEIRESS. His scene with Montgomery Clift’s sister is the best in the film, a master class in acting: “Gloves of the finest chamois!”

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2023 3:44 AM

We must not forget The Fallen Idol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2023 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!