Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Miss Joan Rivers

In these very troubled times, I wish Joan was alive. She’d bring us lots of laughter today. It’s much needed. She was, indeed, the funniest woman who ever lived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2022 6:54 PM

What is 'troubled' about these times?

Do you think these times are more troubled than the 1960's, for example?

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2022 4:05 PM

A viper who would have been pro-Trump.

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2022 4:06 PM

Then we're even. I don't miss her one bit. In fact I'm glad she's no longer around. She'd only be egging on Trump.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2022 4:08 PM

You can have her back.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2022 4:09 PM

Joan who?

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2022 4:12 PM

Thanks, Grandma!

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2022 4:14 PM

Joan would've been quickly canceled in today's climate. Her jokes were mean and insensitive and right up the DL's alley.

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2022 4:20 PM

She was hilarious for a long time. But I think the Carson fight, her fiasco of a show and Edgar Rosenberg's suicide took a mighty toll on Joan. Her anger was palpable.

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2022 4:24 PM

Can we talk?

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2022 4:24 PM

Rivers humor started taking a dark turn during her years as guest host on the Tonight Show. She went totally psycho after the Carson snub. In the end, she proved the NBC brass was right. She was not right for permanent Tonight Show host. I miss the old Joan but she turned into the most bitter, unfunny hag.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2022 4:29 PM

For anyone who didn't see this after Betty died, watch this interview.

We all know Joan was a one-liner automatic weapon, but I had no idea Betty White was, too. She wasn't only a funny comedic actress. She was a comedian. And she and Joan improvising together is incredible to witness.

I also adored Joan until some political comments she made near the end of her life. I know from personal experience that she really was the quietly generous and giving person many have said she was in her private time, and I choose to remember her for the bulk of her life and not the awful anti-Palestinian and pro-Trump sentiments she expressed at the end. Overall, she was an awesome force of nature and I do miss her wit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2022 4:31 PM

If you've never seen it, then I highly recommend the comedy central roast of Joan rivers. Hysterically funny, though incredibly brutal. She was a good sport!

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2022 4:34 PM

She reminded me so much of my mom. Sometimes I watch old interviews of Rivers when I miss my mom.

I just loved Joan—funny, so smart, generous and surprisingly warm. She could be petty (her worst trait) and a suck up to the very rich, but we all have our flaws.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2022 4:35 PM

omg yes. Joan was a wonderful comedienne. Were there offensive segments? Yes, I never cared for the Anne Frank ones. She was at her best when beating herself up to a pulp, or beating the hell out of celebrities nobody liked or those that needed to be taken down a notch... then there were jokes that of course were offensive but just damn funny like "If Kathy Bates had lost five pounds, the Titanic wouldn't have sunk." she was truly one of the most hilarious celebrities. I remember her very fondly, watching her Red Carpets with my grandmother. She was even on the first season DVD of "The Golden Girls" doing some kind of 80s fashion critique with Melissa. I really miss Joan, too.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2022 4:35 PM

She ruined her legacy when she said Palestinian children deserve to get slaughtered by the Israeli government. She also made racially charged comments about the obamas days before her death.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2022 4:36 PM

R15) What racially charged remarks did she make against the Obama?

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2022 4:47 PM

Can you imagine Joan out on the red carpet for E! as Chrissy Metz walks over for a chat? Would Joan have held her tongue or would she have unleashed a bunch of fat jokes?

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2022 4:48 PM

In the 70s, Joan made a comment that if she had a dollar for every stitch in Connie Stevens' body, she'd be a millionaire. Connie responded that when she saw her, she was going to punch her. Joan backed down immediately. Chrissy should have sat on that skeleton. She would have been a hero.

Like all bullies, she backed down immediately.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2022 4:52 PM

Do you think these times are more troubled than the 1930s - the Depression?

Do you think these times are more troubled than the 1940s - World War II?

Do you think these times are more troubled than the 1970s - gas lines, inflation, Watergate?

Do you think these times are more troubled than the 1980s - Reagan?

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2022 5:46 PM

[Quote]What racially charged remarks did she make against the Obama?

She called Michelle a trannie. Not just a throwaway line, she kept repeating it. She was adamant, no smile.

I've mentioned it before but I stopped laughing at her concert when she called North West ugly. Who goes after a baby?

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2022 5:55 PM

I remember liking her daytime talk show in the 90s. It was her comeback after the late night Fox debacle and Edgar’s suicide so she seemed a bit softer and more sensitive, though maybe she was just toning it down for daytime. It was a good format for her. I wish she had continued with that rather than the fashion stuff.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]maybe she was just toning it down for daytime

Or maybe she was on mood-altering Rx drugs

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2022 6:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!