Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Homophobic stars from Classic Hollywood?

Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2023 6:27 PM

Henry Fonda, who was married 5 times.

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2022 10:09 PM

Read this, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2022 10:10 PM

Susan Hayward, sad to say.

by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2022 11:31 PM

Susan Hayward liked individual gay people,. Yet, she did have one homophobic outburst to a gay man. She felt terrible afterwards and she apologized to him. This is per a biography of her life, “Red”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2022 11:49 PM

William Shatner... don't quite know if he could be classified as "Classic Hollywood," but he sure is a fossil and relic of the past!

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2022 11:56 PM

Jane Wyman

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2022 11:59 PM

Re. Wyman, fifth point:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2022 12:01 AM

Every Repug I imagine

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2022 12:03 AM

Barbara Stanwyck was a die-hard Republican, but she had no problems working in a gay bar before hitting the big-time.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2022 12:13 AM

Buddy Ebsen.

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2022 12:14 AM

Fernando Lamas

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2022 12:22 AM

What's the Jane Wyman story?

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2022 12:34 AM

Pretty hard to use 2022 sensibilities and standards of language around homophobia apply them to 50 or 75 years ago. Hollywood has always been incredibly tolerant of same sex actors, directors, set designers, film editors, etc., as long as they remained discrete (in the closet) publicly if not quite on the set and at private functions.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2022 12:39 AM

R2, oh thank you

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2022 1:28 AM

R9, I always got a dyke vibe from Stanwyck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2022 1:35 AM

So did I R15.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2022 1:35 AM

Joseph Cotten.

"The only person who made a comment that he intended me to hear was Joseph Cotten, who said he deplored “half men.” He said it with a real professional actor’s ability, to be sure that I would hear it but not Chris."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2022 1:39 AM

Probably Victor McLaglen, unless his little fascist movement was based on underlying homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2022 1:58 AM

Jack Paar:

[quote]There used to be a time when it looked like the Communists were taking over show business. Now it's fairies. They operate a lot alike, actually; both have a tendency to colonize. Just as there used to be no such thing as one Communist in a play or movie, now there is no such thing as one fairy. Where you find one, you usually find a baker's dozen swishing around. I had a little game I used to play when I was an actor in Hollywood, back in the days when Communists or Communist sympathizers were nearly as plentiful in the film capital as yes-men. If I spotted someone in a picture who was a Communist or leftist, I could usually pick out several others. They always came in sets. Now I play it a different way. When I hear that some fairy is producing or directing or acting in a play, I can often name some of the rest of the cast, even if I've never heard it. But Communists and fairies do differ in some respects. The Hollywood Communists had their "Unfriendly Ten," who refused to testify before a Congressional Committee, but the fairies are overfriendly. They do say no occasionally. "When a fairy says no," Alex King has observed, "he almost throws his back out of joint." The poor darlings, as they sometimes call themselves, are everywhere in show business. The theater is infested with them and it's beginning to show the effects. "The New York theater is dying," the late Ernie Kovacs complained recently, "Killed by limp wrists."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2022 2:26 AM

I’ve always thought Parr was a closet case- common in his time, but for me kind of obvious- as a kid I kind of put him in the same boat as Liberace. I’ve also thought Jack Benny might have been gay- I liked Benny, I thought he was sweet and very funny. Parr reminded me of the bitchy old antique store and art gallery queens on Nantucket- a type that spooked me. The Sklar in the Lion King.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2022 2:56 AM

Liver Raunchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2022 2:57 AM

PS, and Parr was a huge Garland fan. Self loathing gay man- thanks for the article.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2022 3:05 AM

John Wayne

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2022 3:52 AM

Evidence on Wayne?

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2022 8:03 AM

Does internalized homophobia count?

Asking for a friend..

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2022 8:10 AM

Joseph Cotton

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2022 8:19 AM

John Wayne was a fag

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2022 8:50 AM

Define "classic Hollywood", little homosexual boy

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2022 9:17 AM

Ernest Borgnine was disgusted by gay men and didn't want to be around any of them, cast or crew.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2022 10:17 AM

r2 beat me to it. It was a 600-post thread and about as comprehensive as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2022 10:20 AM

Ernest Borgnine. Couldn't bring himself to vote for Brokebsck Mountain as best picture because of his homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2022 1:11 PM

Borgnine was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2023 10:07 PM

Didn't Ernest work with Rock Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2023 10:16 PM

He also worked with Spencer Tracy and Roddy McDowell—he just probably resented that no self-respecting fag would give him a second look.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2023 10:51 PM

Francis Bushman

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2023 11:00 PM

Jackie Gleason

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2023 11:17 PM

Charlton Heston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2023 12:59 AM

There were rumors about Heston being bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 38October 10, 2023 1:01 AM

R37, that stuff he said about the Boy Scouts is really vile. I guess he thinks we're all molesters

by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2023 1:02 AM

Shirley Jones didn’t want to be associated with any event for gays? Jack was bisexual and she couldn’t compete with that. In her estimation gay is bad…or less than.

But she boasted about her sons endowments the same way some mothers brag about their children’s school trophies. She’s disgusting. I never liked her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2023 3:26 PM

Judy Garland appeared on “The Jack Paar Show” many times. She was fun, lively and had a great time with Jack and the audience.

Years later, she was on “The Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson. She seemed almost uncomfortable, she wasn’t animated and was aloof.

Of course, she loved Jack Paar, because he might’ve been gay. Johnny Carson was straight.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2023 4:25 PM

In the book on Follies there is an anecdote about Alexis Smith commenting on one of the chorus boys she saw knitting. Not sure you can call it homophobia. Apparently she was amused that this knitter was playing one of her love interests.

by Anonymousreply 42October 10, 2023 6:25 PM

Wasn’t Alexis a big old dyke anyway?

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2023 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!