Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New midseason series "Abbott Elementary" starts tonight (Jan. 4) on ABC

It's a workplace comedy set at a Philly school, created by and starring Quinta Brunson (formerly of A Black Lady Sketch Show).

It "officially" premieres tonight, but ABC aired the pilot as a preview back in November. I watched it at the time and thought it was GREAT. Love Brunson, and Janelle James is fabulous as the school's self-absorbed principal.

Anyone else tuning in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 15, 2022 10:02 PM

I watched the preview. It was cute enough that if I come across it I would watch another episode.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2022 1:48 PM

Begone shill! You are ridiculously bad at your job.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2022 2:01 PM

Totally not a shill, R2. Just a longtime DLer who found something new to enjoy on TV.

The show was discussed briefly in another thread and several other posters commented at how much they liked it, so I figured I'd start a thread for it on its own since it starts today.

But, yes, I can see how the post/thread would sound shilly!

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2022 2:06 PM

I'll tune in, because it looks like it might be a good satire on our public school system, but I have to wonder if the "docu-comedy" setup isn't a bit played out by now. The Office, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family...

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2022 2:18 PM

They have a gay male actor in the cast who will likely not do or mention anything gay.

Otherwise the first episode was fine.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2022 2:33 PM

I'm not watching it, but I think it's genius that they created this show. The only people who watch these cable shows are moms and teachers anyways.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2022 2:37 PM

It was cute. Sheryl Lee Ralph steals the show.

American Auto was ROUGH though. Got better in second episode but at least there’s an openly gay character.

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2022 2:41 PM

Quinta has come a long way from Buzzfeed

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2022 2:42 PM

R6, baby, this is on ABC. Even those of us with rabbit ears can watch this one.

R5, from that trailer at OP, I assume he’s meant to be a foil for the oversexed, older, female teacher. Safe and fun to have a sodomite look askance at the utterings of straight, white woman.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2022 2:43 PM

Yes, definitely -- saw the preview and enjoyed it. I will be watching. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2022 2:46 PM

The lead actress is annoying when she looks at the camera. I don't know what she's doing wrong, but something is off. Maybe she's doing it too often.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2022 2:53 PM

I don’t care for the mockumentary format but it works and the woman who plays the ridiculous principal made me almost pee my pants multiple times. Worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2022 2:55 PM

I’ll give it a go. The problem with a lot of network shows is their jokes pander to the lowest denominator. But in the preview, there were a few good scenes that give me hope.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2022 2:59 PM

[quote]starts tonight (Jan. 4) on ABC

I'd forgotten that network TV still exists.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2022 3:25 PM

OP, what do you mean "formerly of A Black Lady Sketch Show", isn't that HBO series coming back?! It's great.

I noticed the Everybody Hates Chris lead actor is in this series. The show looks funny, I will watch it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote]the woman who plays the ridiculous principal made me almost pee my pants multiple times

That's Janelle James. She's wonderful, and the character is a riot!

[quote]what do you mean "formerly of A Black Lady Sketch Show", isn't that HBO series coming back?!

Oh! Didn't mean to cause alarm. I have no idea if that show is coming back. I guess I should have said "... of A Black Lady Sketch Show fame."

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2022 4:06 PM

The second episode wasn't quite as strong as the first, IMO, but I still enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2022 1:18 PM

Black Lady Sketch Show has already come back for a second season, but Quinta is not on it. She was probably too busy with this. BLSS has some funny sketches, but the episodes are pretty boring as a whole. The apocalypse storyline that goes on throughout the series is so unfunny and confusing. Like I don't get the point of it, it ruins the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2022 4:19 AM

I watched it last night, and sorry to say, I was disappointed. I had high hopes for this show, but it's trying way too hard to be cute and quirky. The situations are unrealistic and contrived and most of the characters are caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2022 11:55 AM

I thought it was funny and cute. Y’all have some high expectations for a 30 minute sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2022 12:00 PM

They shouldn't have used the "documentary" style approach with this show; it's become a tired framing device. It should've been just a straight up sitcom.

And what's up with the substitute teacher dude supposedly being this sexual magnet for all the horny women? I mean, he's good looking, but he's not THAT good looking.

Also, how many teachers get to leave school midday to get their nails done?

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2022 12:20 PM

Agreed on the mockumentary device.

I think the thing with the sub is that, like many elementary schools, it’s a largely female staff so these women are starved for someone to flirt with them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2022 4:46 PM

I loved the pilot. The guy who plays Jacob is adorable, and his cleft chin is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2022 5:15 PM

R22 Yes, but even the young mother of the tardy kid was coming on to the substitute teacher, too. He's not all that.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2022 6:53 PM

Jacob is played by Chris Perfetti, gay and wonderfully talented. Years ago he stole the play Sons of the Prophet right under the nose of Santino Fontana. He was also in Looking. I'm guessing that the character is gay too, but I have no idea. I agree that so far the show is promising.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2022 7:04 PM

Don't know why I really don't like the Principal actress. She's probably a lovely lady but she doesn't seem to be able to cut the comedic role.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2022 7:29 PM

R26 She's also the show's creator and writer. She's neither a great writer nor a great comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2022 7:41 PM

I was really hoping we'd get some good satire and commentary on our public school system with this show, but so far, it looks like a missed opportunity. I'll give it two more episodes before I give up on it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2022 7:42 PM

R26, do you mean the main actress, or the actress who played the principal? I ask only because you capitalized Principal.

Janelle James plays the principal, but Quinta Brunson, who plays Janine (the 2nd-grade teacher) is the lead actress and the show's creator.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2022 8:45 PM

Ironically, the Principal (Janelle) is a stand up comedian!

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2022 3:17 PM

Jesus...Publicists are invading Datalounge. WHO THE FUCK CARES?

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2022 3:22 PM

[quote]do you mean the main actress, or the actress who played the principal? I ask only because you capitalized Principal.

Janelle James .

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2022 8:02 AM

What’s this? More black shit?

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2022 9:23 AM

It couldn't possibly be funnier than AP Bio.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2022 9:25 AM

Just caught this show, and it was pretty surprisingly good. I hope people watch it, it’s already so much better than dreck like the Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2022 3:20 AM

^hah the Goldbergs.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote] Simon Rex wins Best Actor at Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards He’s too white and American to be nominated for a SAG, R96.

Sir if you are not wildly successful in this 70+ percent white nation. Where white men own most everything and run most everything. Its certainly not because of nonwhites. Its because you're obviously exceptionally incompetent. Lashing out on the internet at nonwhites is not going to improve the quality of the shitty life that your incompetence created.

You type Miserable.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2022 3:45 AM

It's a really fun show.

And I think TJ Williams is pretty fucking sexy.

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2022 7:27 AM

Tyler James Williams has become sexier as he's gotten older.

I can't believe he's almost 30.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2022 7:40 AM

Just started watching and this show is really funny.

I love that Chris Perfetti always gets typecast as the resident woke SJW. His character here is almost exactly like the character he played on Looking.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 1:19 AM

Chris Perfetti was good in The Surrogate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 1:22 AM

Being a philly teacher myself I’m sort of drawn. The writer and star is a Philadelphian herself, so kudos to her. I well know though that the problems facing our derelict district are more than just lack of resources and a few bad apples. the characters involved are appealing, the scenarios well known to me, and yet there feels a bit of sillies for the sake of yucks at times that I don’t really enjoy.

If it makes some people think about what it is like being an inner-city teacher, great.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 2:38 AM

I am enjoying the show. Funny, bits of realism, but not overly preachy or depressing.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 2:43 AM

Philly? Don't get too invested.

They'll all be murdered by armed carjackers by the end of the first season.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 3:15 AM

OMG, R44! You’re hilarious. I can’t stop laughing. Have you considered becoming a writer?

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 11:16 AM

Freshman Abbott Elementary is truly the head of the class at ABC, with its debut marking the network’s first comedy premiere to quadruple ratings since its original airing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2022 2:49 AM

the warmed-over Jim/Pam dynamic to Quinta and the male teacher in episode 2 was boring, I wish they'd drop that. I'm also not sure I understand the conflict between the fey history teacher and the brusque Italian in episode 3; she was offended because he intended to teach south Philly labor history based on scholarly books instead of her fat friend?

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2022 3:37 AM

I'm delighted it's doing well.

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2022 10:53 AM

[quote]the warmed-over Jim/Pam dynamic to Quinta and the male teacher in episode 2 was boring, I wish they'd drop that.

Agreed. I also think they could drop (or at least reduce the # of) the wide-eyed reaction shots to camera from Tyler James Williams whenever someone says something inappropriate, clueless, creepy, weird, etc. There are at least a couple of them in each episode.

I continue to love Janelle James, though.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2022 12:28 PM

The character Janelle James is a tired stock character we have seen a million times before. But she is so good that she actually makes it feel fresh.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2022 12:47 PM

Janelle James is awesome. I rarely laugh out loud at TV but a do at least a couple times each episode when she’s on screen.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote] Janelle James is awesome. I rarely laugh out loud at TV but a do at least a couple times each episode when she’s on screen.

She's my new favorite. Really funny.

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2022 6:05 PM

Best network sitcom I've seen in years. Yes, they could drop the mockumentary angle, but it's genuinely funny and the characters are great -- particularly Sheryl Lee Ralph as the seen-it-all veteran teacher who can drop a kid with one look, and Lisa Ann Walter as a tough Philly girl.

by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2022 12:01 AM

I've watched three episodes and I'm giving up. It's not funny; it's forced. Someone says a line, someone else looks into the camera with a blank stare...lather, rinse, repeat. I don't think I've chuckled even once watching this.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it's missing an opportunity to reflect what it's really like to work in the public school system. Teachers walking out of their classrooms and leaving their kids unattended? A principal who seems to do nothing but mock the teachers in her school in between making Instagram videos in her office? Teachers who leave school in the middle of the day to get pedicures? A substitute teacher who appears to be teaching full-time? There's nothing realistic about this.

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2022 9:08 AM

"A substitute teacher who appears to be teaching full-time? There's nothing realistic about this."

Yeah, it's not like those gritty sitcoms like Friends.

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2022 11:33 AM

It's very good, a charming show.

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2022 11:40 AM

[quote]There's nothing realistic about this.

Despite its mockumentary format, it *is* a sitcom, not an actual documentary.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote] A substitute teacher who appears to be teaching full-time? There's nothing realistic about this.

Fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2022 4:39 PM

R54 Ya, what's up with the substitute teacher permanently assigned to the school. Where's the teacher he's subbing for? Out on extended medical leave?

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2022 5:19 PM

R57 Which is why it should do a better job of satirizing the public school system and the plight of public school teachers.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2022 5:20 PM

Yeah, it doesn’t quite hit the mark for me of being either a satire or a probing human character study - both which are possible. This is sort of in between

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2022 5:45 PM

the substitute teacher is a certified teacher, he applied for the principalship but didn't get it.

But as a teacher... any teaching show is quite unrealistic and this continues that trend

it is cute though

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2022 11:56 PM

R62 I don't need it to be 100% accurate, but it's not even a remote approximation of a public school. A real missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2022 11:58 PM

I've been enjoying this. I'm happy for Quinta.

by Anonymousreply 64January 30, 2022 8:01 PM

I think the cast is terrific. And I get a few good laughs each episode. I can't ask for much more than that. I am a little tired of the documentary format, though, and wish they'd stop giving goofy looks at the camera.

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2022 5:30 PM

The principal cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2022 5:32 PM

The latest episode was by far the best since the show began. For the first time since it started, I actually laughed a couple of times.

I really wish they wouldn't do this Jim-Pam type of thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 67February 5, 2022 6:51 PM

Sheryl Lee Ralph does steal the show.

It's cute, I'll keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 68February 5, 2022 6:57 PM

I thought the snack vendor guy was a hot daddy. I hope he shows up in more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 69February 5, 2022 7:04 PM

I did laugh when the principal shut down the gifted program because the smart kid figured out she didn't do anything all day.

by Anonymousreply 70February 5, 2022 7:07 PM

The whole break the third wall schtick is outdated.

by Anonymousreply 71February 5, 2022 7:08 PM

Abbott Elementary and Ghosts have made this TV season for me.

by Anonymousreply 72February 5, 2022 7:10 PM

R71 Agreed. They should've just done it as a straight up traditional sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 73February 5, 2022 7:10 PM

Janelle James continues to be the series MVP, IMO. Her calling the gifted kid "Geek Squad," "black Bobby Fischer," etc., made me laugh out loud.

I feel like they need to add some other staffer (besides the janitor) to the mix. Like the school nurse... or the office secretary... a character who's an elementary-school staple, and who also deals with kids (and their parents and teachers) but who'd offer another perspective on everything.

by Anonymousreply 74February 5, 2022 8:43 PM

Maybe the lunch lady, she'd have all the lunch room tea.

by Anonymousreply 75February 5, 2022 8:45 PM

gym teacher

by Anonymousreply 76February 5, 2022 9:14 PM

This is a great cast and it's a fun show. I know nothing about working in a public primary school, but this seems as close as a sitcom that has to appeal to a mass audience can get. Not one weak link.

by Anonymousreply 77February 13, 2022 12:34 AM

[quote] Totally not a shill, [R2]. Just a longtime DLer who found something new to enjoy on TV.

No longtime DLer has found anything new to watch on tv since 1972. Imposter!

by Anonymousreply 78February 13, 2022 12:46 AM

Do you ever get the feeling that network PR shills think that getting "the gays" to support a show is part of the stated marketing plan?

I mean, I suppose I appreciate that the finally think that gay people are an important demographic.

I can see if the show is actually good or something that DLers might want to watch, you know, because it has hot nekkid guys or at least, like Ghosts, is based on a show that DLers across the Pond like.

But honestly, do we really need so many breathless show announcements for a show that has so little to appeal to DLers?

by Anonymousreply 79February 13, 2022 12:53 AM

R79 Sheryl Lee Ralph’s comeback story has a LOT of appeal to DLers.

by Anonymousreply 80February 13, 2022 2:32 AM

Such a shock to realize that a major network show is actually good. Been years since the major networks actually had a good show. I find myself laughing out loud at every show - funny characters and writing,

by Anonymousreply 81February 13, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote][R79] Sheryl Lee Ralph’s comeback story has a LOT of appeal to DLers.

Comeback...from what?

She's been working almost continuously for the past 20 years on shows ranging from Ray Donovan to Hallmark movies with DL's beloved Luke MacFarlane.

From where do you think she needs to comeback, the five and dime?

by Anonymousreply 82February 13, 2022 2:55 AM

This may be sacrilegious to say and I may get my gay card revoked but I've never been a fan of Sheryl Lee Ralph. Never thought she was much of an actress or singer. HOWEVER, I absolutely love her in this! She really nails the role of the hardened but still in it senior teacher. She's the perfect counterpoint to the shallow, carefree principal. The whole cast is great. I agree the documentary format feels dated and unnecessary but overall I'm loving this show.

by Anonymousreply 83February 13, 2022 4:49 AM

Oh, fuck off r79. I've been here since the goddamned prancing ponies, and I think this is the best new network sitcom in years.

by Anonymousreply 84February 13, 2022 5:44 AM

The Jacob/Barbara pairup this past episode was great.

by Anonymousreply 85February 13, 2022 5:52 AM

Are they going to make the Jacob character gay?

by Anonymousreply 86February 13, 2022 6:09 AM

I'm glad they dropped the ridiculous "principal and armageddon" subplot that the first couple of episodes had.

by Anonymousreply 87February 13, 2022 10:10 AM

I like it OK so far. Not great, but better than most of the more modern comedies out there.

That said, "Mom" is still my benchmark for laugh-out-loud 21st century comedy.

by Anonymousreply 88February 13, 2022 10:19 AM

R54, my mom started as a sub. Within a week, it was clear the regular teacher wasn’t coming back. (Health issues). She finished out the year. Same the happened the next year. By the third year, she was hired full time since she was good at her job and all the kids knew her. So it happens.

by Anonymousreply 89February 13, 2022 2:14 PM

"She wears orthopedics and eats plums."

This line made me literally laugh out loud. The character of Ava continues to be my favorite thing about this show.

I'm very glad the "art teacher" was a one-episode arc. I found the character as exhausting and annoying as Melissa did, and feared she was going to be a series regular.

by Anonymousreply 90February 13, 2022 3:31 PM

Have to say, Lisa Ann Walters’s facelift is a big distracting, though if she hadn’t had it, she probably wouldn’t have landed this job.

by Anonymousreply 91February 13, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote]I've been here since the goddamned prancing ponies, and I think this is the best new network sitcom in years.

"I WAS one of the pracing ponies and will never stop shilling."

There, fixed it for you, r84

by Anonymousreply 92February 13, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote]Are they going to make the Jacob character gay?

He is gay. He mentioned his ex-husband in an episode.

by Anonymousreply 93February 13, 2022 4:07 PM

I like the show, but would seriously consider ditching the mockumentary format asap. They aren't handling it well, trying for too many easy laughs by having characters look at the camera with a puzzled look on their faces. I also thought Ralph's character was funnier when she seemed more aloof and above it all.

by Anonymousreply 94February 13, 2022 5:12 PM

[quote] I suppose I appreciate that they finally think that gay people are an important demographic.

And where were you to support us? Our reboot flopped because of you fags!

by Anonymousreply 95February 14, 2022 3:07 AM

[quote] He is gay. He mentioned his ex-husband in an episode.

When did this happen? This last episode was the first he’s ever talked about his relationships (yes, he reveals he has a boyfriend).

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2022 5:07 AM

Because of this thread I gave the show a shot. Watched three eps. I guess I just don't get it. It feels like a little bit of five shows I've already seen and not as good as any of them.

I can't stand the woke white guy. So boring and one dimensional. And the "hot" sub isn't hot. There's a million talented actors that could have killed that part. I do like the older teachers. And the lead is very, very charming.

Eh, it's not bad or anything - that's American Auto. It's just meh.

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2022 6:18 AM

R96 I don't think he ever mentioned anything about any relationship until the one where he talked about his boyfriend Zach. Hopefully he'll show up in a future episode.

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2022 6:22 AM

I liked the idea that she wasn't shocked that he was gay, but that he had a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2022 11:56 AM

[quote][R96] I don't think he ever mentioned anything about any relationship until the one where he talked about his boyfriend Zach. Hopefully he'll show up in a future episode.

I did a rewatch of the entire series this past weekend. He mentioned his ex-husband in one of the confessional scenes. I think it was the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2022 12:23 PM

The actors constantly turning to the cameras and mugging is starting to become really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2022 1:06 PM

R100 I would go back and rewatch because he didn’t say that. This is the first reveal the character had about his sexuality. He also talks about an ex-boyfriend this episode and never mentions marriage.

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2022 3:57 PM

He seems awfully young to have been married and divorced.

by Anonymousreply 103February 17, 2022 4:01 PM

I hope we get to see Jacob’s boyfriend and that he’s hunky and Black. It would make sense for the character to date non-white men.

by Anonymousreply 104February 17, 2022 4:16 PM

This week I laughed more than ever. I loved that Jacob's talk with Janine. It was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2022 4:24 PM

I adore Mr. Perfetti.

by Anonymousreply 106February 17, 2022 4:28 PM

R106 I do too. Great theater actor and I thought he brought a lot to even his small role on Looking. Love seeing a talented actor book a hit network show.

by Anonymousreply 107February 17, 2022 5:31 PM

Reading Twitter it seems like some people actually didn't realize Jacob was gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 17, 2022 7:25 PM

[quote][R100] I would go back and rewatch because he didn’t say that. This is the first reveal the character had about his sexuality. He also talks about an ex-boyfriend this episode and never mentions marriage.

It was episode #4 - "New Tech"

Jacob is having a conversation with Melissa after he said something wrong about South Philly.

Here is the dialogue:

"I made some dumb assumptions about you -- about South Philly... I was condescending. Basically, I was jerk. I wish my ex-husband could ever admit that much."

The episode is on Hulu. Go to 18:55

So, yes R102 he did say that, as I said earlier. You should go back and rewatch.

by Anonymousreply 109February 17, 2022 7:55 PM

R109 here, I was wrong. I misread something.

by Anonymousreply 110February 17, 2022 7:59 PM

I didn't realize Jacob was gay either. I actually thought he had a puppy dog crush on Janine and would become jealous when she inevitably hooks up with Gregory.

by Anonymousreply 111February 17, 2022 8:09 PM

I thought it was obvious since the actor is gay and has pretty only played gay characters

by Anonymousreply 112February 17, 2022 8:20 PM

The pre-credits final scene (during Tariq's performance) was really nicely done, IMO. It had that comedy mixed with poignancy element to it that shows like "Scrubs" used to do very well.

And LOL to Ava's "Dominic Toretto" reference.

by Anonymousreply 113February 17, 2022 8:23 PM

The kid from everybody hates Chris grew up so fast

by Anonymousreply 114February 17, 2022 8:37 PM

I'm not familiar with the actor R112

by Anonymousreply 115February 17, 2022 8:51 PM

[quote] It feels like a little bit of five shows I've already seen and not as good as any of them.

I was an early champion of this show but I have to agree with this. I can't believe they're stealing the Pam/Roy relationship from The Office. It's almost like they think no one will notice?

by Anonymousreply 116February 18, 2022 2:15 AM

Once again, the school principal is the breakout star. She's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 117February 18, 2022 1:21 PM

R117 She's funny, but in reality, nobody that stupid could ever be a principal.

by Anonymousreply 118February 18, 2022 2:32 PM

Is cute little pocket gay Chris Perfetti still hooked up with Micah Stock?

by Anonymousreply 119February 18, 2022 3:21 PM

R119 Was there ever proof they dated? It seems more like a sisterly situation. Chris is quite chummy with James Cusati-Moyer on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 120February 19, 2022 1:27 AM

R109, I thought Melissa said the part about wishing the ex-husband could admit being a jerk.

Anyone catch that Janine’s fall asleep show is Last Man Standing? Interesting choice for the writers considering his politics.

by Anonymousreply 121February 20, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote][R109], I thought Melissa said the part about wishing the ex-husband could admit being a jerk.

She did. I was wrong. Not sure why I thought it was Jacob or got it mixed up. Melissa's voice is way deeper than Jacob's.

by Anonymousreply 122February 20, 2022 12:16 AM

R121 Well Jacob admits to secretly enjoying Green Book, which most woke liberals despise.

by Anonymousreply 123February 20, 2022 2:03 AM

[quote]Anyone catch that Janine’s fall asleep show is Last Man Standing? Interesting choice for the writers considering his politics.

Last Man Standing was an ABC/20th Century show. This show is peppered with Disney owned references like Marvel and Disney characters. Corporate synergy.

[quote]  I can't believe they're stealing the Pam/Roy relationship from The Office. It's almost like they think no one will notice?

People like myself who have never seen "The Office" didn't notice.

by Anonymousreply 124February 20, 2022 2:09 AM

Of course I had to Google Danny's Wok. And when Ava called Janine Dork Dash, I fell out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2022 3:02 AM

"Abbott Elementary" Surpasses "Modern Family" in ABC's Comedy Ratings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2022 7:12 PM

The latest episode was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 127February 24, 2022 7:29 PM

I actually really liked the fact that they humanized Ava in the most recent episode, and gave her an added dimension. But I also like comedy tinged with poignancy.

by Anonymousreply 128February 24, 2022 10:41 PM

Ava's character is really mean. In real life, the teachers would have reported her to the school district for verbal abuse and harassment.

by Anonymousreply 129February 25, 2022 1:14 AM

Except . . uh . . . this isn't real life.

by Anonymousreply 130February 25, 2022 1:18 AM

R130 No shit. That's why I qualified it with "in real life."

Hang in there. I know you can do this ,

by Anonymousreply 131February 25, 2022 1:19 AM

No shocker but the show has been renewed for a second season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 15, 2022 2:16 PM

I like the show a lot but they can drop the "interview" segments since that storytelling device is way overplayed these days and doesn't add much. Just let the characters interact with each other, we don't need them telling us what to think or feel.

by Anonymousreply 133March 15, 2022 2:23 PM

R133 I agree. The constant bug-eyed reaction turns to the camera are really annoying

by Anonymousreply 134March 15, 2022 2:35 PM

[quote] The constant bug-eyed reaction turns to the camera are really annoying

Hear Hear!

by Anonymousreply 135March 15, 2022 2:40 PM

Totally agree with Rs 133 to 135 above.

And glad to hear it was renewed!

by Anonymousreply 136March 15, 2022 3:53 PM

New episodes start again next week.

by Anonymousreply 137March 15, 2022 11:23 PM

The principal character is the comedic breakout but it will be a very difficult balancing act to keep her interesting and funny but also not to soften her too much or overuse her.

by Anonymousreply 138March 16, 2022 1:23 PM

R138 The latest episode really showed what a despicable character the principal is. She's really unlikeable. I'm glad she got her comeuppance at the end.

by Anonymousreply 139March 24, 2022 3:53 AM

R139 Which is weird after they tried humanizing her in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 140March 24, 2022 4:14 AM

R140 Yeah. They can't quite figure out what to do with her. In the first few episodes, they had her as a paranoid apocalypse preparer, then they dropped that altogether and turned her into a silly cartoon who goes around insulting people. Now she's an evil blackmailer and extortionist.

by Anonymousreply 141March 24, 2022 11:29 AM

Quinta's impersonation of a teacher is getting a bit tired, she seems to think all she has to do is look dowdy, be awkward and spout empty homilies about her professional dedication. For a character (and actress) who grew up in Philly, she seems shockingly naive. The substitute teacher is similarly ill-conceived, and his slide into depression in the last episode stretched credibility; any adult in the workforce knows that people tend to get jobs based on whom they know rather than being the best candidate. The principal should have been cast as someone's best friend or sister, which would also give the show a much-needed break from the school setting. Imagine if MTM or Murphy Brown never left the newsroom.

I understand that a network sitcom can't really "go there" in terms of honestly depicting the lives of children who grow up in impoverished/economically disadvantaged urban neighborhoods, but the few scenes showing teachers interacting with parents are silly and saccharine.

by Anonymousreply 142March 24, 2022 1:02 PM

After reading posts here, I was prepared to hate the new episode.

Jesus, people, it's a sweet little show. If you expected a gritty inner-city dramedy and are disappointed, that's on you.

by Anonymousreply 143March 24, 2022 1:07 PM

I'm not sure this show has enough momentum to make it past a second season. It's never laugh out loud funny, which is fine, but it's rarely even crack a smile funny, and the characters are all either caricatures or non-descript. They're going to need add some depth to the cast if the show's going to last.

And the mockumentary style is really, really tired. The characters constantly turning to the camera gets old really fast.

by Anonymousreply 144March 24, 2022 1:44 PM

Agree. Love the show but wish they’d drop the mockumentary device before next season. No one would miss it!

by Anonymousreply 145March 24, 2022 8:45 PM

My favorite current comedy show. All the characters are so well drawn. Alot like The Office but more heart.

by Anonymousreply 146March 24, 2022 8:56 PM

R146 I think the characters are pretty poorly drawn, especially the principal.

by Anonymousreply 147March 24, 2022 8:59 PM

I taught for many years and the characters are spot on for the types you find in a school. The principal is very OTT but not really far from many principals in inner city schools. The custodian is every custodian in every school.

by Anonymousreply 148March 24, 2022 9:04 PM

I find both males sexy. They aren’t traditionally hot, but I want them both.

by Anonymousreply 149March 25, 2022 1:04 AM

William from "Girlfriends" played the superintendent. The actress playing Barbara's daughter is very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 150March 25, 2022 8:31 PM

It is so stupid to have a substitute teacher, who seems to have not ever taught or hasn’t taught long, want to be principal. Fuck that. You should have to put in, at minimum, 10 years of teaching to become a principal.

by Anonymousreply 151March 25, 2022 10:12 PM

It’s easy to flesh out the characters in the coming seasons. Good shows do that. I have no doubt Quinta and her writers can accomplish that.

by Anonymousreply 152March 25, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote] I have no doubt Quinta and her writers can accomplish that.

And what are you basing this vote of confidence on?

by Anonymousreply 153March 26, 2022 3:05 AM

Largely love the show after bingeing it. I don’t mind the talking heads segments where a character just exposits to the camera, but they need to dial down the looking into the camera by about 75%. It can serve a purpose if used sparingly.

I’ll be interested to see how they keep Principal Ava from getting canned now that her blackmail no longer works. (Surely they won’t write her out; she gets most of the best lines.) And apparently we’ll meet Jacob’s boyfriend this week. How do we think they cast him? Twink, bear, circuit clone, jock, daddy, Black, Asian, differently abled, etc.? I’d bet he’ll be another overwrought white ally like Jacob.

by Anonymousreply 154March 28, 2022 1:57 AM

R154, the easiest solution would be to have Ava demoted to substitute teacher, and for Gregory to be made principal (they already established that the superintendent was very impressed with him). That way, they both stay on, and season two has them both as fish out of water in their new roles at the school.

by Anonymousreply 155March 28, 2022 2:24 AM

R155 I don't see how she would make a very good teacher, even as a substitute.

by Anonymousreply 156March 28, 2022 2:33 AM

I love Sheryl Lee Ralph in this.

by Anonymousreply 157March 28, 2022 5:34 AM

R156, that's the point. She was a TERRIBLE principal, and didn't get the job because of her abilities.

So, she'd revert to being a TERRIBLE teacher -- presumably, that's what she was before being appointed as principal.

by Anonymousreply 158March 28, 2022 12:40 PM

One of the funniest episodes tonight. And they showed Jacob's boyfriend (whoever guessed he was black, you were right).

by Anonymousreply 159March 30, 2022 6:09 AM

I loved Zach! And I concur, R159 -- last night's episode was very good.

by Anonymousreply 160March 30, 2022 1:52 PM

This past episode wasn't one of my favorites, but I did laugh a few times thanks to Ava and Zack.

by Anonymousreply 161April 1, 2022 12:40 AM

An episode about jumping across desks?

Lame.

This show is trying way too hard to make something out of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 162April 1, 2022 1:25 AM

I love this show,. It doesn’t surprise me that humorless racists can’t unclench long enough to enjoy something with so much heart.

by Anonymousreply 163April 1, 2022 1:31 AM

It is one of those pleasant shows that isn’t LOL funny, but you find yourself in a good mood after watching it.

by Anonymousreply 164April 1, 2022 2:43 AM

Ugh! I started watching on demand (Altice/Optimum) a couple of weeks ago. I went to continue watching and they only had S1E1, E9, E10, and E11! I wanted to get caught up completely but I guess that won't happen unless they replace them or ABC reruns them. I could probably try the ABC app on my AppleTV.

by Anonymousreply 165April 6, 2022 2:12 PM

The actor who plays the wannabe principal seems really gay. Or maybe it’s the way he plays the character. Regardless, any romance with the lead female character seems a big stretch.

by Anonymousreply 166April 6, 2022 2:19 PM

It's still better than Boston Public.

by Anonymousreply 167April 6, 2022 2:20 PM

Good show. Ava consistently cracks me up and Sheryl Lee Ralph deserves a hit show. She’s been around LONG time and I hope she’s making bank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 6, 2022 2:28 PM

I’m so fucking tired of 45-minute comedies and 60-minute dramas you have to pay close attention to, for fear of missing out on key plot points. I love the fact Abbott Elementary is 22 minutes of fun you can either watch uninterrupted, or while you cook.

On my Hulu splash page it appears next to Atlanta—a critically acclaimed show I can barely get through because you have to stop everything and play close attention in order for it to make an ounce of sense. Even Twin Peaks made more sense.

by Anonymousreply 169April 6, 2022 2:55 PM

This week's episode was by far the best one this season. Ava finally showed a glimmer of humanity, and Sheryl Lee Ralph's character got a little sinister and shady.

We need more episodes like this one.

by Anonymousreply 170April 7, 2022 2:46 PM

I thought the season finale was great, especially Barbara's storyline. AND, best of all, it opened the door to them completely dropping the "documentary" format next season, since the episode provided a nice bookend closure to Janine's "year in the life" narrative. The end of the episode felt like the end of a documentary.

Hopefully, this means S2 will be completely free of reaction shots to camera.

Also, I like the fact that Zach is clearly being added as a supporting character. Love him!

by Anonymousreply 171April 13, 2022 12:03 PM

Sheryl Lee Ralph for the Emmy!

by Anonymousreply 172April 13, 2022 1:08 PM

The guy who plays Zach has an entertaining role in the final season of Search Party (he played a social media influencer who did science experiments).

by Anonymousreply 173April 13, 2022 1:40 PM

I realize that it's a sitcom and that they want to keep the energy up but does every single scene have to be so short? Can't they let even a few scenes linger or breathe even a little bit?

Also? Way too many close-ups. We know what their faces look like already.

My favorite line (from Ava, of course): "Someone met you and said "More".....?"

by Anonymousreply 174April 16, 2022 6:48 PM

R171 I don't know where you got that they're gonna drop the documentary style of the show based on the season finale. Didn't seem that way to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 175April 16, 2022 7:06 PM

R174 That line had me spitting out my drink. And Janelle's delivery of it was so hilariously perfect. I hope they don't try to humanize Ava too much because she's so much funnier when she's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 176April 16, 2022 7:24 PM

I would like them to just dial back the looking-into-the-camera by about 75%. It's best when used in much smaller doses.

While I definitely do not want Principal Ava gone (see R174), I guess the show is going to let her keep her job because she had a sudden, brief sincere speech about respect to the school board. Well, OK... (I'm nearly done with a rewatch of the season and had forgotten that Ava has a grandmother with senile dementia whom she, Ava, cares for deeply -- it's in the step-show episode -- so she is not completely self-centered.)

S2 Wish: I hope they add a few more characters in small, recurring roles, similar to the vending machine guy. A rival school could be fun, too (see: Pawnee v. Eagleton, since this show is very much, um, School of Parks and Rec).

by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2022 7:33 PM

Ava is the best character by far

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2022 7:45 PM

The guy who plays Gregory is hot, but he’s the most annoying when it comes to the staring at the camera bit…and he’s actually the weakest actor (despite having decades of experience).

I guess I’m a less is more kind of guy, because I love the janitor and Ava.

by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2022 8:25 PM

And does anyone really believe Gregory is smitten with the likes of Janine?

by Anonymousreply 180April 17, 2022 3:24 AM

Not with Taylor entering the chat. She’s gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 181April 17, 2022 10:34 AM

R175, I didn't say they *were* going to drop it, I said they've set it up so they *could* if they wanted to -- and, based on the comments on this thread, it's clearly what many viewers (me included) want.

S1 was set up as a "year in the life of an elementary school's staff" documentary. Janine's comments to camera at the end of the last episode were exactly what you'd see at the end of such a documentary. So, presumably, the showrunners could very easily convert the series to a standard-sitcom format in S2.

It could be explained via a simple throwaway line from one of the characters in the S2 opener. For example, some kind of self-involved and hilarious comment from perpetually camera-ready Ava about her dismay at not having anyone there to capture her beauty and genius anymore.

by Anonymousreply 182April 17, 2022 12:36 PM

R182 I wish they'd drop the documentary style, but I'm not sure they will next season.

by Anonymousreply 183April 17, 2022 4:26 PM

Ava has the makings of a gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 184April 17, 2022 7:36 PM

Ava's character is too over the top, nasty and mean-spirited, and just plain dumb.

She needs to dial it back.

by Anonymousreply 185April 17, 2022 7:55 PM

r185 = Barbara

by Anonymousreply 186April 17, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote] This show is trying way too hard to make something out of nothing.

It's funny because it is true-to-life for elementary school teachers.

by Anonymousreply 187April 17, 2022 8:15 PM

Where was the griping when The Office did reaction shots? That was all John Kransiinski fucking did. The guy had no other talent.

by Anonymousreply 188April 17, 2022 9:01 PM

Ava seems more self-involved than mean.

by Anonymousreply 189April 17, 2022 10:01 PM

R188 It's that the gimmick has been overplayed. It was novel when The Office aired, but the novelty has worn off.

by Anonymousreply 190April 18, 2022 2:02 PM

R190 It wore off two seasons into that show, too.

By the end of it, it was clear that Jim Halpert was a smug, do-nothing jackass with a bossy, undereducated twat of a wife. They became the villains of a show that famously had none.

by Anonymousreply 191April 18, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote] By the end of it, it was clear that Jim Halpert was a smug, do-nothing jackass with a bossy, undereducated twat of a wife. They became the villains of a show that famously had none.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 192April 18, 2022 2:17 PM

R192 It's up your sister's fat, wide ass. Go look for it!

by Anonymousreply 193April 18, 2022 2:19 PM

I loved when Ava said she was told that she had aged out of The Bachelor.

by Anonymousreply 194April 18, 2022 2:22 PM

::: dusts off this thread :::

Happy to see the show earned some Emmy love!

The new season starts next week (Sept. 17) -- do we need a new S2 thread, or should we continue here? (If anyone still wants to discuss the show, that is.)

by Anonymousreply 195September 15, 2022 12:56 PM

Sept. 17 is Saturday, not next week. And I'm pretty sure ABC wouldn't choose to dump one of their hottest shows in a dead zone like Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 196September 15, 2022 1:08 PM

You can tell that Quinta’s pussy stinks!!!

by Anonymousreply 197September 15, 2022 1:10 PM

D'oh!

You're absolutely correct, R196 -- the show returns on (Wed.) Sept. 21.

Dunno why my brain typed the 17th.

by Anonymousreply 198September 15, 2022 1:12 PM

They gave the janitor a bigger role in S2, that should be fun

by Anonymousreply 199September 15, 2022 7:39 PM

Might as well keep this thread, OP.

I've been rewatching Abbott off and on all summer. Still SO enjoyable. I laugh even though I know what joke is coming. I love the cast, but I hope the writers give some minor characters air time -- like Damon (?) who works in the cafeteria, Jacob's bf Zach, the school nurse (seen only once, I believe) and, of course, Vending Machine Guy. Will Jeanine's mom show up? I'd like to see some of Melissa's family, too. (These can be brief, occasionally recurring appearances; no need to swamp the main cast.)

by Anonymousreply 200September 15, 2022 8:18 PM

I’m a permanent substitute teacher in a similar school. I go wherever they send me, so wherever the teacher (frau) is sick that day. The few men that work there are gay except for the gym teacher. Come on over to my school, DLers! It’s a barrel of laughs but you better speak Spanish or you won’t get all the ribald second grade humor. I wanted to be the sub so I didn’t have to go to all the meetings and could take off for vacations. The downside is called classroom management.

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2022 12:55 AM

r201=Dorothy Zbornak

by Anonymousreply 202September 16, 2022 2:19 AM

I'm excited for the return of Abbott and Home Economics next Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 203September 16, 2022 2:56 AM

Season premiere tonight -- welcome back, Ava!

by Anonymousreply 204September 21, 2022 11:58 AM

Cinematography is ugly and set design is depressing, looks like the Precious school. I like the sexual harassment of men jokes… haha so funny when women sexually harass men hahaha hilarious… this same group would lose their mind if something equivalent were said to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 205September 21, 2022 12:31 PM

“Gregory” seems very gay. Are they going to make him the love interest for “Janine”?

by Anonymousreply 206September 23, 2022 9:51 PM

The premiere was somewhat lackluster.

by Anonymousreply 207September 23, 2022 9:55 PM

I thought the season premiere was OK, but not great. It's a bit disappointing that they've decided to keep the mockumentary format, even though the show would work better without it. And, alas, the mugging to camera remains, too.

But I'm glad the show is back! And I still love Janelle James.

by Anonymousreply 208September 25, 2022 11:59 AM

Does this show have gays? I mean gays as in guys (aka not lesbians)?

by Anonymousreply 209September 25, 2022 1:25 PM

r209

one of the male teachers is gay

by Anonymousreply 210September 25, 2022 1:31 PM

Pfft. One season wonder. I assume the Brunson lady is the comic lead based on the airtime she had in the trailer. She’s just ok. That theme song is so old and overused everywhere else that it’s now like hearing nails scraping along a blackboard.

by Anonymousreply 211September 25, 2022 1:39 PM

Wow I stand corrected- thins is the second season? People were talking like it is brand new. It’s still lousy. The humour is old and done before in actual funny ways via The Office etc. All the extended silent face making in reaction to comments colleagues make is way overdone. Like they are doing that so we know it’s a cue to laugh? Just make the “funny” or “outlandish” comments try to stand on their own.

by Anonymousreply 212September 25, 2022 1:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 29, 2022 3:15 PM

I feel like the second season is still trying to find its footing. I did enjoy the running joke in last night's episode that Barbara confuses black and white celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 214September 29, 2022 3:27 PM

I didn’t really understand the humor about mixing up the race of celebrities. It’s just not something that I found funny.

The actor who plays Jacob looks really pale and skinny this season.

by Anonymousreply 215September 29, 2022 3:30 PM

Loved spotting Lauren Weedman in this week’s episode. She and Chris Perfetti were on Looking together.

by Anonymousreply 216September 30, 2022 12:23 AM

I tried a few times. It’s not that good.

by Anonymousreply 217September 30, 2022 12:47 AM

I’m glad to see that Lisa has work again.

by Anonymousreply 218September 30, 2022 1:28 AM

I initially thought this season's second episode was kinda meh, but somehow I found it funnier on the second watch. I don't mind the mockumentary format, but they need to dial it back some. Less glancing at the camera, for a start. But characters talking directly to the camera can cover a lot of exposition that would normally be tedious back-and-forth dialog.

And Abbott really is from the School of Parks and Rec. Jeanine is the show's Leslie Knope, and the better school down the street is Eagleton to Pawnee/Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 219October 1, 2022 8:25 PM

I’m quite versed in Autism traits and I didn’t pick up on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 9, 2022 1:51 PM

Remember when fans thought that “ Sheldon” was coded as autistic? Yeah, that show’s producers ran fast and far away from that one just like these producers will.

by Anonymousreply 221October 9, 2022 2:26 PM

The second season isn't as funny to me so far but I'm gonna stick with it 'cause I enjoyed the first season so much.

by Anonymousreply 222October 9, 2022 2:33 PM

Good lord, just because you have some wierd food issues your autistic? In that’s true, everyone is autistic and no one is autistic.

by Anonymousreply 223October 9, 2022 3:23 PM

He looks sexy in these pics, but no discussion about the gay stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224October 13, 2022 9:11 AM

I had no idea "Bluey" is an actual Australian children's show! But it is.

by Anonymousreply 225October 13, 2022 12:28 PM

Is the show still funny? I haven’t laughed yet this season. Where’s Ava??? Where’s the janitor??? They’re barely in any of the episodes so far.

by Anonymousreply 226October 13, 2022 1:24 PM

Whenever Ava speaks, I feel like I should have the closed captioning on. I can only understand about every fifth word she says.

by Anonymousreply 227October 13, 2022 2:11 PM

Boy, is this show ever in a sophomore slump. A whole episode about two extra ounces of juice that makes all the kids in the school have to pee?

by Anonymousreply 228October 21, 2022 2:32 PM

Was Bluey a rip off of Blues Clues?

by Anonymousreply 229October 21, 2022 2:47 PM

Anyone know the name of the blonde male dancer in episode 3 of season 2?

by Anonymousreply 230October 21, 2022 3:17 PM

Agree that the “kids have to pee because Janine made them all drink more juice” storyline was a rough one. Why was Janine making decisions about what the kids consume at lunchtime again???

by Anonymousreply 231October 21, 2022 4:30 PM

God, Season 2 really sucks so far. Not a single laugh, not even a chuckle, in that lame Halloween episode.

This show really needs to up its game if it hopes to see Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 232October 28, 2022 2:24 PM

They need to get rid of that fat dwarf teacher's aid character. She's not funny; she's annoying. I wish I could punch her.

by Anonymousreply 233October 28, 2022 2:29 PM

R233, That actress was in the last series of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and I found her annoying as hell... She's basically playing that same character again.

by Anonymousreply 234October 28, 2022 3:17 PM

R233 She's awful. Who thought it was a good idea to add her to the show?

by Anonymousreply 235October 28, 2022 3:22 PM

[quote] Anyone know the name of the blonde male dancer in episode 3 of season 2?

I would assume HE does.

by Anonymousreply 236October 28, 2022 3:52 PM

The kids drink too much

The kids eat too much

AND they’re already adding wacky new characters because Ava and the janitor aren’t wacky enough?

Yikes, this show’s S1 success is starting to look like a fluke

by Anonymousreply 237October 30, 2022 2:41 AM

I realize the show is set in an elementary school, but that doesn't mean the focus of the show should be on the students so much (as realistic/cute as they are). Full bladders and sugar highs should be the B-plot. Focus on the staff. Abbott is very much School of Parks and Recreation, and P&R did not focus on the citizens of Pawnee every week; it was mainly about the P&R staff. I would rather see the teachers and staff coping with the school board or city government to get more aid and supplies. And agreed: Get rid of Melissa's irritating aide.

by Anonymousreply 238October 31, 2022 8:57 PM

OMG yes, fait aide is fucking annoying as hell. Her singing with the skeleton while the teacher is teaching...wtf? with that fucking Urkel "did I do that?" face. Yeah, Melissa would knock her the fuck out, this is out of character and is ruining the show.

by Anonymousreply 239November 1, 2022 1:53 AM

The story samurai episode was funny though.

by Anonymousreply 240November 1, 2022 1:54 AM

This week Leslie Odom, Jr. is guest starring as the principal of a charter school trying to steal students from Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 241November 1, 2022 7:21 AM

R240 That one was stupid, too. But compared to the "kids got two extra ounces of juice and have to pee all day" and "kids stole Halloween candy and became uncontrollable" storylines, it seems like Pulitzer material.

by Anonymousreply 242November 1, 2022 10:29 AM

The cutaway scenes are the only hope of funny this season. The first episode where Janine is talking about breaking up with Tariq and how devastating it was for both of them...and then they cut to Tariq getting in the car with his friend and dancing as they drove away was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 243November 1, 2022 4:46 PM

I guess this is a "be careful what you wish for" situation -- last season, I said I hoped they'd expand the cast to include more members of the school staff. And now we have the teacher's aide.

by Anonymousreply 244November 3, 2022 11:21 AM

I finally caught up on Curb cause someone said that annoying fat chick was on it last season. God, she's just fucking awful and hard to look at. They should have cast Cristela if they wanted a sassy Mexican chick, Cristela is at least funny.

by Anonymousreply 245November 7, 2022 12:30 AM

Does this TV show school have corridors where Kenyan students stab Asiatic students?

by Anonymousreply 246November 7, 2022 1:08 AM

As others upthread have said, I'd like to see more episodes like last week's episode (w/ Leslie Odom Jr.), where the focus is on the teachers and the system.

Those are much stronger and more cohesive, IMO, than the episodes that revolve around silly student shenanigans (the desk challenge, the juice/peeing, the Halloween candy, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 247November 8, 2022 12:10 PM

"Egg Drop" was a welcome return to form, I thought. Lessons learned by nearly everyone, from the students to the teachers (and Barbara had to learn hers from Ava!) and funny, too. I hope they bring back the science teacher occasionally, if only to find out why he can't stand Jacob. (Sidenote: I believe they said he was the eighth-grade science teacher. What elementary school goes up to grade 8? Mine was grades 1 through 6; junior high, as we called it then, was 7 and 8; and high school was 9 through 12).

by Anonymousreply 248November 21, 2022 9:57 PM

Oh man, I thought this was annoying. Was Janine trying to break the eggs? The one was in a sponge and she basically threw it down, egg first, not even trying to let the sponge cushion it. And Shementi...did she have some sort of Kardashian ass implant? I used to like that actress and she looks good still but that ass is ridiculous as is her whole goombah chick shtick. The attack ad ep where she said, "which one of youse is holding out on me?" so cringe, we get it, you're a tough Italian Philly chick.

by Anonymousreply 249November 23, 2022 2:39 AM

This stupid "will they or won't they" sub-plot with Janine and Gregory is a bad idea. How many shows have done this and ended up being ruined?

Plus, Tyler James Williams is gay, gay, GAY, and I'm not buying a second of his "attraction" to that little midget girl.

by Anonymousreply 250December 9, 2022 2:21 PM

R248 In the 60s I briefly attended an elementary school in Chicago that was K-8. It was a family affair. I was in 2nd grade, my sister in 7th, and my mother taught 6th grade, all at the same school. It was during that time while holding hands with two of my mother’s male students on a field trip to the Museum of Science and Industry that I felt the first pings of same-sex attraction. Electrifying. I was 6.

by Anonymousreply 251December 9, 2022 5:06 PM

This article is a good explainer about what makes the show work and when the show goes off the rails.

Yeah, this Janine-Gregory romance stuff is tired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 15, 2022 1:54 PM

Yeah the Jim and Pam parallels, right down to nearly kissing on Christmas, were bad. I would rather they stay friends too. And I love Ava as always. "I don't talk to line people!"

by Anonymousreply 253December 15, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote]And I love Ava as always. "I don't talk to line people!"

She said, "Sorry, I don't speak 'line.'"

by Anonymousreply 254December 15, 2022 6:02 PM

R253 May favorite Ava line was a couple of weeks ago when she had to sub for Janine and was reading her binder. The first page said, "Say, 'good morning, class,'" and Ava immediately said, "Shut up, Janine."

by Anonymousreply 255December 15, 2022 6:19 PM

R255 yeah that was great. I also love when she insults the kids, "we all know that little nerd can read!"

by Anonymousreply 256December 15, 2022 6:22 PM

Ava as a sub has been the best episode of the season so far.

by Anonymousreply 257December 15, 2022 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!