Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Happened To Cubed Sugar?

You used to see it everywhere, but now not. My own theory is gays are not good at keep their hands clean.

by Anonymousreply 35January 3, 2022 2:00 PM

What happened to Saccharine. My mother would carry a bottle of them. They looked like baby aspirin and would put them in her tea or coffee in a restaurant ca. 1971.

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2022 2:56 PM

Just like loose leaf tea, had to order it online ! Well i never ! What's this world coming to !

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2022 2:56 PM

They are hard to find but I keep a box on hand for old fashioneds in a ziploc baggie. They don’t last like the packets in humid climes

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2022 2:59 PM

Don't ask me!

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2022 3:03 PM

Are they popular in Turkey because I've never been to a Turkish restaurant that didn't have them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2022 3:03 PM

I saw some in the supermarket before Christmas. I use sugar free substitutes, so I didn’t buy any.

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2022 4:48 PM

I use them for coffee and tea regularly. They are in every grocery store, in boxes of white and brown cubes, beside bagged sugar.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2022 4:57 PM

Who the fuck calls "sugar cubes" "cubed sugar"?" Mr. Burns maybe. Are you that old and decrepit, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2022 7:07 PM

Do they make brown sugar cubes? What about sugar cubes out of Equal and Splenda?

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2022 7:24 PM

[quote]Who the fuck calls "sugar cubes" "cubed sugar"?"

You probably eat candy bars with your hands

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2022 7:24 PM

demmara nuggets please

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2022 7:59 PM

Domino sugar still sells cubed sugar.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2022 8:00 PM

No one today wants sugar cubes in a restaurant that have been sitting out for any sneezer or fly to land on. That is why sugar packets were invented, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2022 8:02 PM

r3 keep them in the freezer

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2022 8:07 PM

Sugar cubes are also used for Champagne Cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2022 8:08 PM

I remember once when J was in elementary school on a field trip there was a table set up for coffee (for the adults) and a few of the kids started eating the sugar cubes. Word got around, and during one of the breaks the whole class swarmed over to the coffee table to grab sugar cubes. One of the teaching assistants threw herself in front of the table to intercept, and angrily yelled 'those are my sugar cubes) like she was Gandalf the Grey blocking Bulrog screaming' you shall not pass'.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote]Sugar cubes are also used for Champagne Cocktails.

I thought only hookers drank those.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2022 8:18 PM

[quote]OP: My own theory is gays are not good at keep their hands clean.

Are you posting from Croatia?

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2022 8:24 PM

Until Lipton invented the Flo-Through tea bag, tea was loose or people bought Tetley Tea Balls.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2022 8:42 PM

R18 Gays do have cum on their hands a lot.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2022 9:01 PM

Loose tea is the ONLY tea fit to drink.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote]Who the fuck calls "sugar cubes" "cubed sugar"?"

Foreign trolls? ES-Elliots?

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2022 11:54 PM

My mother is from England and calls sugar cubes “sugar lumps.”

by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2022 12:02 AM

We were on vacation in Iceland and the hotel breakfast buffet had long sugar rectangles wrapped in paper. I put a couple in my pocket because they were so pretty. Later we were driving through the magical countryside and we came upon a fenced-in field with a pair of darling stocky, shaggy horses. We stopped the car to look at them and take photos. I remembered the sugar rectangles and each horse got one as a treat and everyone was happy! True story.

The End

PS. You can buy white and Demerara sugar cubes in the supermarkets in my NYC neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2022 12:53 AM

Sarah Jessica ate them all

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2022 12:54 AM

Eventually Bjork decided it was time to break out on her own

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2022 1:07 AM

I thought he was gunned down by lil’ poop.

by Anonymousreply 27January 3, 2022 1:11 AM

I used to keep a box of C&H sugar cubes on hand for tea service, but C&H and Domino sugar cubes are light and airy. Last time I was in Italy, I bought a couple boxes of sugar cubes that are dense and heavy. As R14 suggests, I keep them in airtight zipper bags in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 28January 3, 2022 1:16 AM

How often have you had tea service in your life?

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2022 1:17 AM

That's why I keep them in the freezer.

I use them when my mother visits, or when one of the old ladies from church comes by. Maybe 3-4 times a year.

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2022 1:19 AM

I keep a small jar of C&H sugar cubes on hand for hot tea so I get the exact amount of sweetness I like. It's available at the supermarkets I shop at, so I'm wondering where you live OP. You do realize you can order this online, right?

by Anonymousreply 31January 3, 2022 1:28 AM

The first time I had a sugar cube, it had the polio vaccine in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 3, 2022 1:49 AM

Alas and alack, Lucy Carmichael and Vivian Bagley bought and swiped all of them within about a 10-mile radius to help their kids' Boy Scouts troop build their sugar-cubes replica of the White House to deliver and present by train to President Kennedy. :-(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 3, 2022 2:11 AM

R25 that made me laugh so hard

by Anonymousreply 34January 3, 2022 4:11 AM

[quote]My mother is from England and calls sugar cubes “sugar lumps.”

Who was your mother Bugs Bunny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 3, 2022 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!