Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucky New Year Day Foods

What are your family's lucky new year day foods? I suspect this is a widespread custom. Many seem to symbolize money.

My mother's Southern family ate boiled cabbage with dimes or nickles (boiled separately) in it. Finding the money was supposedly good luck and of course care was taken to ensure every plate had money. Cabbage seems to symbolize folding money.

They also ate black eyed peas which resemble coins.

My stepfather's half Jewish family (mother) ate pickled herring which are silver and again symbolize wealth.

by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2022 10:01 PM

I wasn't raised with foolish superstitions, so I do not have "lucky" foods for the new year.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2022 8:49 PM

Black-eyed peas and cabbage, OP, though no actual coins

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2022 8:50 PM

Animal crackers

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2022 8:53 PM

Black eyed peas and collard greens for coins and money. Also pork for good luck because the pig pushes his food forward to eat it and we're moving forward into a new year.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2022 8:53 PM

Pineapple with milk

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2022 8:54 PM

Peasants.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2022 8:57 PM

Most traditions are originally based on some foolish notions and should be avoided by the truly intelligent. How’s that? Now off to my blacked eyed peas, rice, collards and cornbread. I need some luck.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2022 8:58 PM

Black eyed peas. Serving shortly with chopped tomatoes and onions and a ham steak.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2022 9:01 PM

Everyone posting here is Southern. We're the backward ones I guess.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2022 9:05 PM

I have only heard of "black eyed peas" which are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2022 9:44 PM

How do the coins taste though? Why no quarters? Too cheap?

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2022 9:47 PM

Noodles are meant to be eaten for success and prosperity in the New Year, according to some Chinese tradition. (or so I’ve been told)

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2022 9:49 PM

What's food? - D. Orphan

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2022 9:51 PM

PA Dutch people have pork and sauerkraut for good luck on New Year's Day, although I don't know why.

As for me, I went to a neighbor's and she served ziti.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote]They also ate black eyed peas which resemble coins.

OP, in what universe do black-eyed peas resemble coins?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2022 10:10 PM

Corn

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2022 10:41 PM

Cum.

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2022 10:50 PM

R14 Pork because pigs root forward (forward into the New Year) as opposed to chickens who scratch backward (last year). Yes, really.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2022 12:55 AM

I had my black-eyed peas and collard greens earlier this evening, cooked with ham hocks. I can’t remember a year, at least in the past decade, which I haven’t had them.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2022 1:08 AM

As R14 said the pork and kraut is a Pennsylvania Dutch custom.

During lean years we'd do hot dogs and kraut.

I loathe sauerkraut, though, and haven't done it since I left home.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2022 1:11 AM

Feces.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2022 1:18 AM

Sauerkraut is a form of cabbage. Green in its original state. Collards play the same function.

In the South is cabbage more likely to get eaten by whites and collard greens by Blacks on New Years? Collards are very difficult to cook well btw. It was my experience Black people had the patience and skill to cook them well more than whites.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote]OP, in what universe do black-eyed peas resemble coins?

Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2022 1:39 AM

Nothing. My family was poor. No traditions for the New Year. No champagne, no special food. Same with Christmas Eve. Noting special. We were lucky to have food. We had Turkey on Christmas & thanksgiving because it was required. And it was cheap. Never paid for turkey because supermarkets gave away frozen turkeys. You bought your groceries and you’d spend a certain amount and they’d give you a frozen turkey. Potatoes were dirt cheap.

We had to go to church on Christmas and New Year’sDay. Took the fun out of the holiday when you had to get up at 6:30 am to go to children’s 7:30 am mass.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2022 1:42 AM

[quote] In the South is cabbage more likely to get eaten by whites and collard greens by Blacks on New Years?

R22, not in the least, at least not in North Carolina. Also, collards aren’t hard to cook and don’t take really any longer than cabbage cooked the traditional Southern way, i.e. cooked to death.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2022 1:45 AM

I'm from North Carolina and have never heard of eating cabbage for New Years, much less adding actual coins to the cabbage.

What I've always heard and my family has always eaten for New Years is collard greens for money and black eyed peas for coins, plus some form of pork because the pig pushes its food forward to eat it.

And FYI, I'm a white male.

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2022 1:54 AM

R26, I always get the impression that people from other areas believe that white people and black people from the South eat different foods. This is not the case at all, with the obvious exception of macaroni and cheese, which is a holiday staple on black families holiday tables and never seen on my family’s holiday tables.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2022 1:57 AM

R24 I hope you’re doing much better for yourself now, and that you can afford to eat everything and anything you want!

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2022 2:00 AM

11 foods to eat for good fuck in the New Year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 2, 2022 2:30 AM

R26, southwest Virginia cabbage was eaten on New Years day. German influences in that area perhaps. Down from Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 30January 2, 2022 2:36 AM

Cabbage and cabbage-family greens are considered "winter vegetables," so the simple explanation is that those are what was most available at this time of year. In this day and age of easy access to foods from all over the globe we tend to lose sight of that.

by Anonymousreply 31January 2, 2022 2:51 AM

Another Southern boy here, from rural NC. Black eyed peas for New Years for luck. We ate collard greens all the time (boiled and sprinkled with vinegar on serving).

by Anonymousreply 32January 2, 2022 3:11 AM

Traci Lords made some stuffed cabbage fwiw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 2, 2022 3:17 AM

Crêpes Suzette!

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2022 5:09 AM

Thirty-four replies and no one has mentioned Pancakes Barbara?! We should all turn in our cards.

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2022 5:15 AM

tacos

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2022 11:06 AM

R35, why would anyone mention Pancakes Barbara? That’s not a lucky food to eat on New Years. Do you even get what the assignment is?

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2022 11:44 AM

I don't know anyone, anyone at all, who doesn't have Pancakes Barbara during their annual New Year's Day viewing of The Women.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2022 12:09 PM

We had a near riot at brunch yesterday when our host ran out of whipped cream during the "Mrs. Prowler" scene.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2022 12:55 PM

Mama always threw a slice or two of bacon into the pot to cook with the collards. She wasn't a very good cook but she seemed to understand instinctively that everything is better with bacon.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2022 1:27 PM

Stewing collards with bacon or ham hocks is a very old Southern tradition.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2022 1:38 PM

Mom always put potato soup on the table at New Year's because that's what her mother did.

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2022 1:43 PM

Two Big Macs, two Fillet-O-Fish, and a chocolate shake.

by Anonymousreply 43January 2, 2022 1:50 PM

Jenny Craig pepperoni pizza!

by Anonymousreply 44January 2, 2022 5:05 PM

Yesterday I did my usual, Sausage Jalapeño Cheese Cornbread and Black-Eyed Pea Soup. A couple of squares of the cornbread are placed on a plate (I use Corelle Ware basin plates, which can hold a certain amount of liquid - they're something all fat whores should have handy) and top them with a couple of ladles full of the soup.

This year I put a package of frozen chopped Collard Greens in the soup; it was either that or kale, and I just happened to have the collards on hand.

by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2022 10:00 PM

Black eyed peas with bacon and onion and chicken stock cooked down. Lucky

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2022 10:30 PM

The only good fortune I've had with eating overcooked beans and greens is being lucky enough to get to the toilet in time!

by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2022 10:41 PM

I never thought of getting frozen collards. I think you have to start from scratch and it's too much work. I'm food shopping tomorrow and looking for frozen collard greens. This is Brooklyn so I'll probably find them.

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2022 11:20 PM

Dental hygienist.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2022 1:04 AM

[quote]I never thought of getting frozen collards. I think you have to start from scratch and it's too much work. I'm food shopping tomorrow and looking for frozen collard greens. This is Brooklyn so I'll probably find them.

Look in the canned food aisle instead. Glory brand collard greens are quite good and get the seasonings just right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2022 2:01 AM

Texas. Black-eyed peas and cornbread. Cabbage...bleh.

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2022 2:08 AM

Canned collards are the Devil's Playground. We've got trouble right here in River City.

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2022 2:27 AM

[quote]Canned collards are the Devil's Playground. We've got trouble right here in River City.

That's what I thought until I tried the Glory brand collard greens. I'm amazed that I am recommending canned collard greens, but they get the seasonings just right.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2022 2:30 AM

i.e. SALT.

by Anonymousreply 54January 5, 2022 9:44 PM

I grew up on Cape Cod, and my Portuguese family always made a rice and beans dish on New Years Day called "jag". It was delicious, and I recently thought of it as this New Year approached, so I tries to find a recipe. Google helped to identify that the full name was "Jagacida". Here's the recipe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2022 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!