Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FAT WHORES line up. 10,000 people on waitlist for NYC Filipino-owned donut shop.

[quote]“You just have to be super confident when you approach this task,” says Kora founder Kimberly Camara. She’s flipping a large tray of flan from one pan to another for the shop’s flan doughnut. It’s because of unique flavors like this that the New York-based Filipino doughnut shop has a 10,000-person waitlist. “Kora is my grandmother’s name,” says Camara. “The leche flan recipe is from my grandmother’s cookbook that I found after she passed away.” This doughnut begins with a brioche dough. Once the doughnut is formed, Kevin Borja, Camara’s partner at the shop and in life, cuts a hole in it, and adds flan cream. Next, an entire round piece of flan is added to the center. “I don’t know how I came up with it, honestly. I think what it came down to is they wouldn’t be actually experiencing the flan unless there was an actual flan in it.” The top of the doughnut is brushed with caramel and dusted with powdered sugar. “We basically got two desserts here in one,” says Borja.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2021 12:16 AM

Flan doesn't belong in a donut. What pretentious, twee nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2021 5:32 PM

I haven't had my Jollibee filipino spaghetti yet!

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2021 5:42 PM

Then you would probably not like Filipino spaghetti made with hot dog pieces in place of ground beef, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2021 5:51 PM

Sending you healing white light, R1.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2021 5:52 PM

Flan is disgusting, way to ruin a donut, lady. That's difficult to do so, congrats!

Also, when I look at that purple donut I see a recipe for green diarrhea. My system can't handle large amounts of food coloring.

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2021 5:53 PM

And people wonder why Filipino-Americans have higher obesity and type 2 DM rates than white Americans.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2021 5:53 PM

[QUOTE] This doughnut begins with a brioche dough. Once the doughnut is formed, Kevin Borja, Camara’s partner at the shop and in life, cuts a hole in it, and adds flan cream. Next, an entire round piece of flan is added to the center.

They’re on the waitlist for Boston cream donuts?

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2021 5:55 PM

I agree that flan doesn’t belong in donuts. If I’m going to spend hefty amount of calories on a donut, I’d get a big sugar or glazed donut, with just the right level of chewiness as opposed to these stunt donuts that are mostly air with questionable fillings.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2021 5:58 PM

It's flan inside a brioche bowl, I guess. I like flan a lot but not sure I'd want it as the cream in a donut.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2021 5:58 PM

No one claimed New Yorkers were bright.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2021 6:18 PM

Flan is disgusting; I've never liked it.

But the purple donuts are not the result of "large amounts of food coloring" - they are the result of "ube" which is a purple sweet potato. I'd try that but I wouldn't stand in line for it, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2021 6:47 PM

Ube are delicious (and a good complex carb rich in fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants). A donut made from them could be crack-like addictive.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2021 6:52 PM

Filipino food is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote]No one claimed New Yorkers were bright.

Oh, please. I bet at least half that list are transplanted hipsters

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2021 7:01 PM

Yep, the same people who line up at Magnolia Bakery because "OMG I saw that cupcake on Sex and the City!"

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote]Then you would probably not like Filipino spaghetti made with hot dog pieces in place of ground beef, [R1].

I do something similar but with Ramen instead of spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2021 7:11 PM

Are you a college student, R16? Why would a grown man be that poor?

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2021 8:24 PM

R13 thinks that Olive Garden is haute cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2021 8:42 PM

I love leche flan. But in a donut?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2021 11:52 PM

How is a flan-flavored donut so unusual to some of you? A caramel-custard flavor in a donut seems pretty normal.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2021 12:14 AM

Because flan doesn't belong in a donut-- just like ketchup doesn't go on a taco.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2021 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!