Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We're moving to Georgia from California

My husband got a new job. What should we be expecting?

by Anonymousreply 545March 20, 2023 8:00 PM

To take the hand of a preacher man, and make love in the sun

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2021 10:30 PM

Lots of hot closeted men looking to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2021 10:30 PM

Tell us what race you and your husband are so we can give you an accurate response.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2021 10:30 PM

Congratulations šŸ¾šŸŽ‰

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2021 4:21 PM

If you move to SF, you can go to any store and just take what you want without repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2021 4:56 PM

Where in GA? Iā€™m a recent transplant to the ATL area and love it here so far.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2021 5:00 PM

It depends, have you been undressed by kings? Seen things a woman ain't supposed to see?

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2021 5:12 PM

Set your watches back about 150 years.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2021 5:16 PM

OP, what part of California?

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2021 5:18 PM

If you are from the far northeast corner of CA, you will fit in just fine in GA.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Do not hold hands in public. There are many violent gay crimes in Georgia. Have eyes in the back of your head.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2021 5:21 PM

Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2021 5:22 PM

The water smells.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2021 5:23 PM

Watch out for them ternaders!

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2021 5:24 PM

I know a lot of people who have moved to Georgia and plan on moving there. Essentially everyone who has moved there really loves it

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2021 5:37 PM

TNorth Carolina is growing even faster than Georgia right now

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2021 5:37 PM

Isn't Atlanta gaytown?

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2021 5:45 PM

Why do people pretend states are just one place. I assume you are moving from Atlanta, so say that.

And where in California? There is a big difference if you are used to Fresno or if you are used to San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2021 5:46 PM

Humidity.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2021 5:47 PM

To Atlanta*

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2021 5:47 PM

Are you Democrats? If so register to vote as early as possible and make sure to vote in the midterms. Stacey Abrams and Raphael Warnock need to win

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2021 5:48 PM

Hopefully you're in an open relationship - if not, you will be.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2021 5:48 PM

I've lived in the same apartment (er, condo for the easily triggered) for 45 years and have gone through countless neighbors from all over the US. I have yet to meet a single one who didn't love Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Yeah, folks love Georgia

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2021 6:03 PM

Georgia Native here, welcome!

If you're a Democrat, don't forget to register to vote in midterms next year. Warnock and Abrams both need the votes.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2021 6:07 PM

Something along these lines:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2021 6:11 PM

Humidity, bugs, homophobia, and racism.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2021 6:13 PM

Hi everyone! I'm moving from Europe to Asia! What can I expect?

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2021 6:18 PM

It's a large state with a diverse population, metro-Atlanta's a big urban area . . . the business capital of the South, lovely neighborhoods, great dining and shopping, but horrible traffic. I suspect you'll like it overall.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2021 6:20 PM

I prefer North Carolina

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2021 6:22 PM

The South can be lovely. Someone I know moved to North Carolina a few years ago and said people say hello to you, hold the door for you and are not aggressive drivers like in the NY metro area, but they can't drive in snow which is rare anyway.

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] but horrible traffic.

If he's coming from any of the major cities in California the traffic in Atlanta won't be any worse than he's already used to.

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2021 6:25 PM

The humidity can be oppressive.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2021 6:27 PM

We do have air conditioning you know.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2021 6:28 PM

There's also been a lot of celebrities moving to Georgia as of late as well. Britney Spears has even been looking for a house in Atlanta. She's wanted to move to Georgia for a very long time.

Money goes a lot further here.

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2021 6:30 PM

OP I assume your husband has already been to Atlanta prior to accepting the new job? What were his initial opinions? I have to assume he was somewhat positive about it or he wouldn't have accepted the position.

One major thing you can expect is to be able to afford a far nicer home in Atlanta than you could afford anywhere in California.

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2021 6:32 PM

The Rock just moved here two years ago. Georgia is the entertainment capital of the south. You can't go anywhere in Georgia without bumping into a Movie set or Television production etc.

Mariah Carey has always been spending a lot of time here and she also records her albums here as well.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2021 6:32 PM

R35 Not exactly a selling point for moving to Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2021 6:33 PM

And seasons

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2021 6:35 PM

Celebrity life is nowhere near middle class lifeā€” so, ā€œCelebrities are moving here!ā€ Isnā€™t a great selling point

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2021 6:36 PM

It wasn't meant to be a selling point. It was pointing out that a lot of people are moving here to Georgia, for whatever reasons they have.

We have everything in Georgia. Coca cola, president Jimmy Carter, peaches šŸ‘ Eventhough South Carolina grows more. Beautiful warm weather. Roosevelt's southern home that he died in in warm springs Georgia. And so much more. There's just so much history here to enjoy if you live her.

Georgia sells its self!

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2021 6:57 PM

And itā€™s becoming bluer and bluer!

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2021 7:01 PM

If you are looking for a more walkable, urban like environment move to midtown.

Outside of that it is pretty much suburbia.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2021 7:02 PM

Welcome back to the closet!

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2021 7:18 PM

Outside of Atlanta Savannah Augusta Macon Columbus etc. The rest of Georgia is pretty much rural with low quality white supremacist assholes.

AKA Margaret Taylor Green territory unfortunately. Especially North Eastern Georgia. Purely Trump/Republican territory.

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Learn to go from idle speed to 90mph, every other minute. If you can't drive in this manner, don't come!

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Get ready for lots of heat and horrible humidity during the spring and summer months.

It's awful and muggy.

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote] The rest of Georgia is pretty much rural with low quality white supremacist assholes.

That is completely and utter hogwash. I have a summer house in a very rural part of the low country of Georgia. I have met some of the nicest people I've ever known during my times there. I have yet to see a Confederate flag being flown anywhere in all the years I've owned the place. I see white good ol' boys out at lunch in restaurants with black and Latino coworkers having a great time constantly.

Really, you need to learn what you're talking about before you start spouting stereotypical bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2021 7:42 PM

Greenville SC is becoming the new Asheville. Prices there have skyrocketed.

by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2021 7:52 PM

Being sodomized by inbred hill dwellers.

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2021 8:01 PM

R34 but one does go outside

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2021 8:05 PM

But I guess when it's 115Ā° in the shade in Palm Springs that's perfectly comfortable. Find something better to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2021 8:36 PM

Burning cross on the lawn

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2021 8:42 PM

Two of my top students from California got full ride scholarships to Emory a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2021 9:07 PM

Do not engage retards on porches with banjos.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2021 9:09 PM

R52 Very rare like blizzards in Florida and there is AC after all. And 115F in Palms Springs is no more oppressive than 98F with high humidity.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2021 9:10 PM

Humidity is vile.

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2021 9:13 PM

R50 Gran, when was the last time you visited Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2021 9:13 PM

Fine folks there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2021 9:17 PM

There arent white supremists there, that is a stupid myth. Ooooooo white supremists EVERYWHERE,IT'S BS. I am sure there are alotof rwdnecks there, rednecks are in every state.

by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2021 9:19 PM

I'll consider moving there once the state has a Yale Law School grad as Guv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] Being sodomized by inbred hill dwellers.

Pics please TIA.

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2021 9:23 PM

DeSantis went to Yale and Harvard. And grew not far from the Florida Georgia Line.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2021 9:25 PM

[Quote]I have yet to see a Confederate flag being flown anywhere in all the years I've owned the place.

I have to call bullshit on this r48. Confederate flags are all over the South (and oddly even run into them in the rural Northern places) if you aren't seeing them you must be fucking blind.

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2021 12:04 AM

The stars and bars aren't difficult to find. I used to see them in the REI parking lot of all places.

If you're coming from some sprawlburg outside of Fresno or Bakersfield or parts of the Inland Empire, it will be less different than you might expect. If you're from LA, SD, or much of the Bay Area. It will be very different and not in good ways even if you move to the ATL area. Atlantans love to eat out and shop---you'll find the restaurants mostly forgettable and despite the large immigrant populations, finding a decent taco or Thai food can be difficult. The shopping is mostly national chains and not their A-game. A friend once told me that buyer have no faith in Atlanta and its reflected in even the most utilitarian items like camera bags (not kidding). The cultural institutions are all stunted--their solution to having a nearly bankrupt orchestra was to build a new hall. The spent a fortune on new exhibit space for the art museum for traveling shows but didn't get around to also building the endowment to support them. ATL is a place full of plans that often don't materialize. The food in the super market is inferior to what you get in California. You'll find the gay, in particular, to be incurious and shallow. It's the kind of place that's full of 6s and 7s who think they're tend, looking for a 12. Yes, you may eventually find friends who aren't vapid, but you'll meet other people who seem utterly clueless. Atlanta gays are the people too intimidated to go to NYC, LA, SF, etc. As for the weather--people are proud of not having snow, but you'll get ice storms every couple years and the winters are gray, dreary and damp---like LA only more depressing and colder. The summers are hot, humid and no one ventures far from a/c. Spring is rainy but does bring beautiful flowers (unless you're allergic) and fall can be nice except for when you get the back end of a hurricane. Going anywhere interesting requires a plane ride or a very long drive. The cost of living is less, but not as much as you'd expect---real estate has skyrocketed and car insurance is very expensive. People will not talk to you openly about race, but they'll happily share their ideas about Jews, Catholics and immigrants. Have fun.

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2021 1:23 AM

I lived in Atlanta 3 different times in the 90s and I never had anything but pleasant experiences. Of course that was 20+ years ago and I hear that the gay scene vastly different now. If you are into black men then you're moving to black dick central. Ive always been femme and very open and I couldnt tell you the number of times black guys hit on me (or the number of times I took them up on it!) . I found race to be a non issue,but that might be because I didnt live in very poor areas. The only time I didnt like being there was during Freaknik . Those crowds were way over the line behavior wise. I always had positive experiences there,so perhaps Im biased.

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2021 1:33 AM

Freaknik is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote] I have to call bullshit on this [R48]

I do take that back. Last year some old codger drove his van onto an empty lot in the nearest town and hauled out a collection of about 50 flags on poles he was trying to sell. I did see he had a Confederate flag. I went to a shopping center across the street & when I came out the cops were there making him pack up and hit the road.

by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2021 2:52 AM

ATL is also super-boosterish and really defensive if you notice that most of it is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2021 11:00 PM

Aww, you mad Atlanta got something your city wanted but didn't get? Oh well, keep the faith.

by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote]We're moving to Georgia from California My husband got a new job. What should we be expecting?

Softheaded babies that talk funny.

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2021 11:23 PM

Don't listen to R65 she sounds pretty vapid herself with all those typos in her post.

by Anonymousreply 72December 24, 2021 1:38 AM

[quote] Two of my top students from California got full ride scholarships to Emory a couple of years ago.

R54 A bit off topic, but I cannot condone the export of these two young tops away from California. What can be done to lure them back? Really feels like you should have consulted us here at DL before this happened. Hopefully they're pursuing STEM degrees, which would most likely lead them back to California after graduation due to our many technology career opportunities?

by Anonymousreply 73December 24, 2021 2:53 AM

Our asking you why the hell you're doing that?

by Anonymousreply 74December 24, 2021 3:08 AM

Atlanta is rather dull and soulless not to mention an ugly city. I just left in October to move back to Cali.

by Anonymousreply 75December 24, 2021 4:18 AM

R75 Kept getting rejected and denied that good ole Dick.

by Anonymousreply 76December 24, 2021 4:46 AM

R53 as opposed to your lawn and house and yard and town burning in wildfires

by Anonymousreply 77December 24, 2021 5:36 AM

Just remember if needed you can still sell your old.car and catch that midnight train. The boys and I wishing you all the best.

by Anonymousreply 78December 24, 2021 5:53 AM

[QUOTE] Atlanta is rather dull and soulless

Meh. We can't all live in LA dear.

by Anonymousreply 79December 24, 2021 10:57 AM

[quote] not to mention an ugly city. I just left in October to move back to Cali.

Yes, living in a city built in the middle of an old growth forest with huge trees as far as the eyes can see is just so horrible. We Atlantans hope one day we'll be more like California and all these old ancient trees will be cut, or burned down so we can see the smog in the sky, and all the hillsides covered in brown dried out scrub brush just waiting to be set alight by either a lightning strike or one of the hordes of homeless crazies roaming the streets.

We keep hope alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 24, 2021 11:09 AM

[quote] people are proud of not having snow

No Toots we have snow. We're just glad (not proud) that we don't have it all winter long like some areas of the country. Almost every year we'll at least have a dusting. And then every so often we'll have a biggie. The only thing about snow we don't like is that we don't have the big ones often enough for the city to buy thousands of snow removal trucks. But we don't usually have much more than a couple days to wait for the weather to warm up and melt it down sufficiently so we can get back to business. Snow days are well loved in Atlanta, especially by the kids. Gives everyone a chance to pause their busy lives and go out and play in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 24, 2021 11:21 AM

OP, prepare for a daily assault on your ears. You are going to be awash in horrible cracker accents.

by Anonymousreply 82December 24, 2021 11:37 AM

That's funny, I hear far more non-southern accents in Atlanta than southern ones (not that I don't like southern accents as they can be mega sexy). And even many of the southerners in Atlanta have accents that sound more middle America than southern.

by Anonymousreply 83December 24, 2021 11:41 AM

And it's always fun to watch non-southerners move to Atlanta and decide it's where they want to stay, and then they start developing (what they think) is a southern accent. They're so cute. They try, they try. šŸ˜€

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote] Kept getting rejected and denied that good ole Dick.

Got plenty, actually. And a great job transfer.

[quote] Meh. We can't all live in LA dear.

Who said I moved back to LA? San Diego, cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2021 12:01 PM

I lived in Atlanta for 5 years and noticed very, very few Atlanta natives.

Someone born in an Atlanta hospital and raised within the city limits is as scarce as hen's teeth.

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2021 12:10 PM

Lived in Atlanta for years. Also Emory grad.

Would agree with R65, OP.

It is not a bad place, but after living abroad (Sydney, Stockholm. Auckland, Wuppertal, Edinburgh) and now in LA, I find it regressive to return to Georgia.

There are positives, as in any place; but if you are coming from a larger city with more breadth (SF/LA), rather than somewhere like Bakersfield or Riverside; the move from CA to GA may take a bit of a recalibration.

Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2021 12:57 PM

You'll find delightfully sassy older women with great fashion sense. Please be sure to visit me at the Leisure Land retirement home, especially if you're a black buck. I live my black man, black man, where did you come from?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 24, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote] Someone born in an Atlanta hospital and raised within the city limits is as scarce as hen's teeth.

I was born in the old St. Joseph's Hospital in downtown Atlanta (it sat where the Marriott Marquis now sits) 68+ years ago and have lived in Morningside and Midtown my entire life. And yes, I'm one of a vanishing breed. In my 45 years living at the same address in midtown the vast majority of my neighbors have been from outside the south.

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2021 1:14 PM

WHY, OP?! I am plotting to commit major felonies to gtfo of here!

by Anonymousreply 90December 24, 2021 1:23 PM

Most queens set great store in being able to brag that they live in either L.A. or NYC. They see it as some sort of status symbol that impresses others. I don't quite know why since most people who know much about either city do not regard them as places anyone who wants an easy way of life should aspire to live in. And most people who move to either of those cities end up leaving at some point after they mature and realize the standard of living they desperately want proves to be unobtainable.

by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2021 1:24 PM

OP Look at the election map, and see which parts are Blue. That's where you want to be. You want the counties where Joe won. Honestly the worst thing about the Metro Atlanta Area is the fucking traffic. Period.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2021 1:33 PM

I have been in ATL for 5 years and I love it. Lots of transplants in GA. I love the energy.

by Anonymousreply 93December 24, 2021 1:34 PM

You were raised right R93.

by Anonymousreply 94December 24, 2021 1:36 PM

I live in Georgia and unless you have a lot of money, you are going to be living in a very crime ridden state. We have gang violence, shootings everyday, home invasions, etc. Georgia is a republican state. The most corrupt state in the US according to TRUMP, who really should know. I hope you like the feel of the furnace of hell, because the 90+temps along with 70 -90 percent humidity are unbearable. Neglected, dirty places that resemble haunted ghost towns. Georgia should be shut down and the dems relocated to a blue state. No sarcasm, this place truly is miserable to live in. Atlanta is a violent, crime ridden city that we avoid at all times. The traffic and fucked up highways are a nightmare. Google maps will not help you. Google Spaghetti Junction.

by Anonymousreply 95December 24, 2021 1:36 PM

R95, you tell a very different story than all the Georgians I know

by Anonymousreply 96December 24, 2021 1:40 PM

R95, maybe you just need a good therapist?

I did my undergrad in Athens, love that town!

by Anonymousreply 97December 24, 2021 1:43 PM

really rural areas and those places bordering them, like in the Northern Georgia hill country, are pockets of shit. North Georgia, rural Georgia, can be problematic. The main thing to understand is Faith plays a huge role in people's lives. Lots of church folk on both ends of the political spectrum. So, most of the time, you will encounter politeness even from hateful people. Just don't make assumptions about people, and don't talk politics with people you don't know well. I live in Buckhead, and some reactionary Trumpers have decided to ty to divide us from the City of Atlanta. It is bullshit. Ignore it. You can move to Alpharetta which is essentially suburban, but there are Trumpers there along with liberals. It's a mixed bag. Marietta is nice, so is Smyrna. But IMO the best city is neighboring Decatur.

by Anonymousreply 98December 24, 2021 1:49 PM

R65 pretty much nails it. If you're moving to Atlanta, it's not as interesting as people make it out to be. Just overall mediocrity. The people who seem to love it are from the sticks and don't know any better. Athens is sort of charming, but for a weekend. The people are fake nice. Couldn't wait to get out.

by Anonymousreply 99December 24, 2021 1:57 PM

Huge cocks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 24, 2021 2:30 PM

R85 San Diego! There's no there there!

by Anonymousreply 101December 24, 2021 3:10 PM

Lots of people born at Grady. Even Democrats were violently antigay until about 2010 (see Zell "The Traitor" MIller and his ilk: pure unadulterated violent trash).

by Anonymousreply 102December 24, 2021 4:21 PM

I love Macon. it's a funky little city with good food. Mercer College, gorgeous old homes and a decent downtown. Like everywhere else, it has it's crappy areas to avoid

by Anonymousreply 103December 24, 2021 6:01 PM

Mercer University.

by Anonymousreply 104December 24, 2021 6:14 PM

R102, Grady Memorial is a trauma center. And a shithole. If you get in a bad car accident or you get shot, the EMS takes you to Grady. If you are just a sick person, Piedmont, Emory or Northside are you hospital systems. Never Grady. Every city has a Grady and no one ever "wants" to go there.

by Anonymousreply 105December 24, 2021 6:14 PM

How about Newnan? Looks nice

by Anonymousreply 106December 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Are there any closeted rednecks or good ole boys there?

by Anonymousreply 107December 24, 2021 8:29 PM

R107 yes and they are good to go. The Heretic bar/club in Atlanta is recommended. A big dance floor and 'playroom'.

by Anonymousreply 108December 24, 2021 9:03 PM

Any mixed clubs or bars?

by Anonymousreply 109December 24, 2021 9:08 PM

Moved there in 2002 (for a change of scenery after 9/11). It was definitely A LOT cheaper, cleaner than NYC and the people were nicer, but I was homesick after a month and moved back to NYC. Gay Pride in Atlanta was just sad :( But the parties were fun! They were giving out flyers - inviting cute guys to their house parties. I was surprised they would invite strangers at a parade to their homes! I met a wealthy biracial man (looked like a young Brian Stokes Mitchell) who wanted to keep me within 2 weeks! I was staying at a hotel in downtown Atlanta. He offered to let move in with him after we spent the night together. Beautiful home near Piedmont Park, but he was a stranger, I didn't really click with him like that and did not want to be dependent on him. So, I turned him down. We lost contact after I left... The Atlanta vibe is very different - slow, boring, muggy, bugs, but warm, pretty, friendly - and you NEED a car! I just missed the vibe, energy, excitement and many things to do in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 110December 24, 2021 9:30 PM

Never Grady.

That is in no way accurate. True, Grady (or The Gradies as it's colloquially known since it's more than one hospital), is traditionally a hospital for the poor or those in need of immediate trauma care. But if you are in a bad car accident or some other sort of tragedy and are in danger of dying there is no better place to go first than Grady. Since it's funded by the Federal Government they have every piece of the most up to date equipment available. If any hospital can keep you from dying, it's Grady.

Remember that famous model who was in the awful car accident on Ponce de Leon many years back. They took her to Grady and she stayed there for a good while. After she recovered all she could talk about was that she had Grady Hospital to thank for keeping her from dying.

by Anonymousreply 111December 24, 2021 9:38 PM

Anyone who can't find plenty to do in Atlanta is either too lazy to breathe, has no friends, or is just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 112December 24, 2021 9:41 PM

Any mixed clubs or bars?

Gay & straight? Most every gay bar will have straight & gay friendly people there. There are plenty of straights in Atlanta who like to see how their betters enjoy ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 113December 24, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote] Are there any closeted rednecks or good ole boys there?

Plenty! And they are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 114December 24, 2021 9:43 PM

You can pick up some extra bucks turning in abortionists and women seeking them.

by Anonymousreply 115December 24, 2021 9:44 PM

Atlanta is dullsville compared to NY and LA. Anyone who claims otherwise is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 116December 24, 2021 9:47 PM

How about Newnan? Looks nice

Newnan is a quite nice town. There are lots of smaller cities & towns outside of metro Atlanta that are great places.

Rome

Cartersville

Statesboro

Brunswick

Valdosta

Waycross

LaGrange

Carrolton

Peachtree City

Warner Robins (lots of Air Force meat!)

Dalton

And plenty more.

by Anonymousreply 117December 24, 2021 9:48 PM

[quote] Atlanta is dullsville

Only to dullards hon. Only to dullards.

by Anonymousreply 118December 24, 2021 9:49 PM

Sure r116. But NY and LA are much bigger cities so of course they have more going on. At least Atlanta is cheaper so your money would go further.

by Anonymousreply 119December 24, 2021 10:20 PM

even better r104

by Anonymousreply 120December 24, 2021 10:21 PM

R117 You left savannah ga off your list, why?

by Anonymousreply 121December 24, 2021 10:43 PM

R116 do women seeking abortions broadcast that fact?

by Anonymousreply 122December 24, 2021 11:06 PM

Sorry R116 R115 Do women seeking abortions broadcast that fact anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 123December 24, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote] You left savannah ga off your list, why?

Savannah is not a small town. The metro population is over 400,000 people.

by Anonymousreply 124December 24, 2021 11:21 PM

R95 is so fabulist!

by Anonymousreply 125December 25, 2021 12:10 AM

OP More bang for your buck

by Anonymousreply 126December 25, 2021 2:03 AM

Where in Georgia? There are spots that actually exist in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 127December 25, 2021 2:04 AM

R111 is a fearful liar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128December 25, 2021 3:01 AM

Anyone ever been to Dahlonega, in NE Georgia? It seems like a nice place to visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 25, 2021 4:19 AM

Not much cheaper these days R119.

by Anonymousreply 130December 25, 2021 4:35 AM

[quote]. Atlantans love to eat out and shop---you'll find the restaurants mostly forgettable and despite the large immigrant populations, finding a decent taco or Thai food can be difficult.

This is complete and utter bullshit. I have to really wonder if you're on crack.

For good Tacos & Thai food, just go to Buford Highway. The community consists of Mexicans and Asians. Within a 5 mile span, there are about 30 Mexican restaurants and 40 Asian restaurants, including 18 Thai restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 131December 25, 2021 5:00 AM

I used to love La Cazuela in Alpharetta, but I think it's gone now.

by Anonymousreply 132December 25, 2021 6:38 AM

He's half right, R131, the restaurants are mostly forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 133December 25, 2021 12:21 PM

Oh, you've eaten at all of them R133? Try harder next time dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 134December 25, 2021 12:33 PM

Newnan? It's an exurb of Atlanta not a real town.

Grady is a safety net hospital. Every medium to large city has one. And yes it's good for motor vehicle accidents (which are very common in ATL, people are terrible drivers) and gunshot wounds.

People are obsessed with crime, yet in my gentrifying neighborhood, the worst thing that happened was someone stole my garden hose and the reel it was on. I only missed the reel--the hose kinked so much I was planning to replace it. But the house came with motion detector lights that I eventually stopped using and an alarm system I only switched on when I travelled (I used to be gone for a month at a time). The crime obsession is really about race and you'll find a lot of code for race and oddities like no outdoor swimming pools in many places----they were filled-in back in the 60s and 70s so they wouldn't have to integrate.

by Anonymousreply 135December 25, 2021 12:43 PM

That's nonsense. I have always loved the fact that there are so many independent, not franchise restaurants with interesting approaches to food. I don't eat Mexican food, but the Thai food is great and so is the Indian food, the Caribbean places , etc. We have local chain restaurants that are good too. Look. If you're looking for a NY experience, or Chicago, or L.A. don't come here. OK? Georgia is the South. One of the original 13 colonies. It has always had a basically agrarian culture, because it's economy, for centuries, has been agriculture based. Now thanks to the universities, we are fourth in the nation in Tech and IT, and we have a diverse, thriving economy. Georgia turned that corner in the early 70's. Our population is more diverse, and international, and the fucking humidity is something we put up with for a few weeks in July and August. So all y'all trashin' Georgia, or Metro Atlanta, can just pass right by and go on about your business. We're fine.

by Anonymousreply 136December 25, 2021 12:44 PM

If youā€™re in the Atlanta area, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, or Augusta youā€™ll be fine.

Anywhere else is backwards.

by Anonymousreply 137December 25, 2021 12:54 PM

The Buford corridor (use to work nearby) is surprisingly bad for restaurants---the ones that cater to white people are generally terrible. The Thai restaurants in ATL all have the same menu and load on the basil (more of a Vietnamese thing) but avoid the garlic (which is in practically everything in Thailand).

by Anonymousreply 138December 25, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote] .....fucking humidity is something we put up with for a [bold]few weeks[/bold] in July and August.

I wish, R136! I spent months of the year sweltering.....literally with sweat pouring down my legs, arms, torso and head as my parents rationed the ac (due to expense of electricity bills). Even now we joke of the ā€œhumidity seasonā€ while living in Atlanta.

(Fortunately, we live somewhere more temperate now.)

by Anonymousreply 139December 25, 2021 3:19 PM

I had basil chicken last night from Rain (Thai) and it was delicious. They make great sushi too. It's less than a mile from my townhouse. Georgia has a health economy. When you first move, take you time. Wait a year or two before deciding if you want to buy and where you want to live.

by Anonymousreply 140December 25, 2021 3:29 PM

[quote] Anywhere else is backwards.

You clearly know NOTHING about the state of Georgia. Or you're just the usual blathering idiot.

by Anonymousreply 141December 25, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote]How about Newnan? Looks nice

Are you kidding?

by Anonymousreply 142December 25, 2021 5:44 PM

Hillbillies, OP.

by Anonymousreply 143December 25, 2021 5:48 PM

Georgia does not have a healthy economy. Take away the construction trades and it is remarkably hollow. How quickly it can all go to shit reminds one of the cell phone meltown of 2001-2003, when the traffic jams mysteriously disappeared after 70,000 workers lost their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 144December 26, 2021 7:24 AM

I would move there just for Hattie Bā€™s.

by Anonymousreply 145December 26, 2021 12:10 PM

Anybody been to Future? Itā€™s a new bar in the ATL?

by Anonymousreply 146December 26, 2021 12:29 PM

R112 the people bored with Atlanta are people who have lived there awhile and have done all the stuff youā€™re thinking. It was get static when youā€™ve lived there a while. There arenā€™t a lot of new and dynamic things happening there. But there are worse places to live.

Atlanta is a good place to either get started in your career or to end it, and retire there. But for those that are hungry for a taste of the world, you need to venture out in between.

by Anonymousreply 147December 26, 2021 12:32 PM

OP needs to read The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. It gives a good portrayal of Georgia life.

by Anonymousreply 148December 26, 2021 12:32 PM

Atlanta used to have some of the best restaurants and great service but many of them are gone now or being ran by a different generation. I would hardly call it a culinary hot spot in its current form.

by Anonymousreply 149December 26, 2021 12:34 PM

Maybe I have different taste than the people who donā€™t think ATL has a hood culinary scene

by Anonymousreply 150December 26, 2021 12:40 PM

Hattie B's is HIGHLY overrated . Charming to look at,the food was mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 151December 26, 2021 4:38 PM

Atlanta has long had mediocre restaurants, at best, with rarely very good service.

by Anonymousreply 152December 26, 2021 4:44 PM

Oh stop! Every city has mediocre restaurants and god knows I have been in my share in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 153December 27, 2021 12:08 AM

R139 thank God nowadays there's a more cost effective, efficient and quieter way to keep cool: central air conditioning

by Anonymousreply 154December 27, 2021 12:18 AM

My dad lived in Atlanta for a time years ago and I really enjoyed visiting him there. Great city.

by Anonymousreply 155December 27, 2021 12:19 AM

Georgia is where you live if you want a nice down home southern quiet slow life. I'm born and raised here, and don't plan on leaving ever. I don't like loud crazy cities to live in. To gave fun in yes, but not to live in.

This coming from someone whose young and in my early 30s. Love traveling, but Georgia is definitely home for life for me.

by Anonymousreply 156December 27, 2021 12:39 AM

R155 & R156, you're two more who were raised right.

by Anonymousreply 157December 27, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]thank God nowadays there's a more cost effective, efficient and quieter way to keep cool: central air conditioning

Sounds great being locked up in your house 24 hours a day.

If you loved lock down, you'll love Georgia

by Anonymousreply 158December 27, 2021 1:15 AM

R158 Cars, restaurants, bars, theaters, offices all have central air. Why so negative?

by Anonymousreply 159December 27, 2021 1:24 AM

Personally I love a blisteringly hot day. I go out, get some sun on my face to keep my vitamin D up and when I feel I'm getting too hot I simply go back inside in the AC. And besides those blisteringly hot days only last from July to August and there are plenty of days in those months when the storms come through. And I'm a big storm buff. I love watching those summer thumpers roll in and cool everything down, sometimes for days.

I'll take blisteringly hot Atlanta summers over months of frigid sub-zero northern winters any day. And don't act like you people up there don't stay inside as much as possible with the heat cranked up during those hideously cold months. I've spent enough time up north to know that most do.

by Anonymousreply 160December 27, 2021 10:17 AM

The high today in NYC is predicted to be 37Ā° with snow. The high in Los Angeles is predicted to be 54Ā° with rain. The high today in Atlanta is predicted to be 72Ā°. THE HEAT! THE HUMIDITY!!

Atlanta will hold a moment of silence for you poor LA & NYC wretches today. Keep warm bubbalas.

by Anonymousreply 161December 27, 2021 10:58 AM

When I lived in the North, (Minnesota) I stayed indoors from December until April. Seriously. Did not leave my house except to provision. We had no Instacart back then. Last time I experienced the sub zero temps was 4 years ago for Christmas. I will never do it again. Georgia has a bad allergy season in March/April, and the hot summer from mid July though August. About 6 weeks. But the weather here is not bad at all, and being able to go for a walk in 73 degree weather yesterday, under blue skies and sunshine was a great Christmas gift.

by Anonymousreply 162December 27, 2021 1:20 PM

Atlanta has a nice climate. People love the weather there

by Anonymousreply 163December 27, 2021 1:48 PM

Yeah from November to April.

by Anonymousreply 164December 27, 2021 1:58 PM

I spent time in Atlanta and it was stifling hot in the summer. People weren't that friendly but not horrible, either. Southerners , I was told, are leaving the metro area move to preserve "their way of life". They were sick of all the "Yankee" transplants. Atlanta seemed inscrutable to me, as I was raised in New England, my impression was that it's pretty much a suburban hodgepodge of neighborhoods with a downtown. I prefer North Carolina, I never liked the feel of Georgia, but then again I didn't see much of it. I saw a great deal of NC when I lived there, and it's a truly beautiful state, from the ocean to the mountains and the lovely little pottery area around Seagrove.

by Anonymousreply 165December 27, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote] Southerners , I was told, are leaving the metro area move to preserve "their way of life".

Dear God where do you people come up with these outlandish lies.

by Anonymousreply 166December 27, 2021 2:17 PM

R165, eastern inland NC is not pretty. Fayetteville, Kinston, Rocky Mount, Lumberton, and Goldsboro Are flat, depressed areas

by Anonymousreply 167December 27, 2021 2:31 PM

Nope, I'm not lying R166, that's EXACTLY what a woman told me. Many Southerners are bitter about Northerners coming in and "taking over" as they see it, or saying things like, "but that's how we did it up North".

by Anonymousreply 168December 27, 2021 2:33 PM

R11 is correct. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 169December 27, 2021 2:43 PM

R168, you might want to check objective sources for evidence of what you assert, like the US Census Bureau. There has been no exodus out of Metro Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 170December 27, 2021 2:43 PM

They're not "Northerners," sir, they're DAMN YANKEES!

by Anonymousreply 171December 27, 2021 3:03 PM

If you're low cast, you say "Goddamn Yankees!" and then spit.

by Anonymousreply 172December 27, 2021 3:06 PM

Southerners immediately turn on you once they find out you're from the north. The fake nice becomes not nice at all.

by Anonymousreply 173December 27, 2021 3:29 PM

[quote] that's EXACTLY what a woman told me

Oh, so some woman said this outlandish thing and that makes it true. The bitch probably knew one family who moved out of Atlanta, probably because they were tired of city life, and suddenly hordes of southerners are leaving Atlanta because of all the 'yankees' and to maintain their "way of life".

by Anonymousreply 174December 27, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote] Southerners immediately turn on you once they find out you're from the north. The fake nice becomes not nice at all.

LOL, no hon, southerners will turn on you if you show yourself to be a piece of garbage or some scumbag. Which one are you? And that's whether you're from the north, south, east, or west.

by Anonymousreply 175December 27, 2021 3:58 PM

You mean the lovely southerners who told me about "dirty Mexicans" and hauled off and slapped their kid in front of me? Oh yes, such peachy people! But hey, Jesus loves you.

by Anonymousreply 176December 27, 2021 4:43 PM

Before you board your flight open a vein.

by Anonymousreply 177December 27, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote] You mean the lovely southerners who told me about "dirty Mexicans"

You should talk to the average Los Angelino, or frankly most Californians, about Mexicans. They'll make your ears start ringing pal.

And of course no parent outside the south has ever hauled off and slapped their child. Nooooooo.

You seem rather thick.

by Anonymousreply 178December 27, 2021 5:15 PM

Expect a long drive.

by Anonymousreply 179December 27, 2021 5:16 PM

The stupidity and the ignoance displayed on this thead is appalling. Most of you who ae making these ignoant statements and absud ponouncements have not been to Atlanta in the past 10-15 years. Or even the past 25 years. The cliche's and the tropes you rely on are completely foreign to those of us who live in Georgia. Will you find racists here? Yes. Militias? Yes. Deepest red state Republicans? Yes. lunatics like MTG? There are still pockets of lunacy, yes. But you have the exact same thing in Michigan, and in New Yok, and Ohio and PA.

But here's the thing. Georgia has a booming economy with a lot of economic development. We have Google and Amazon and tons of other companies, and every week there is some new announcement like the recent Rivian announcement that they will be setting up a $5-7 Billion electric car manufacturing plant here, producing an estimated 7,500 jobs

This is important because economic development and educational opportunities attracts an international mix of job seekers with lots of credentials. And that is what has been changing Georgia. The stereotypes some of you cling to are no longer the rule here. They haven't been for quite some time.

Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, the Dakotas , West Virginia, are backward assed states. But keep an eye on the Carolinas because their economies are going to force change on them too.

by Anonymousreply 180December 28, 2021 2:48 AM

Maybe stay out of the woods if you hear dueling banjos !

by Anonymousreply 181December 28, 2021 3:13 AM

[quote] The stupidity and the ignoance displayed on this thead is appalling.

Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 182December 28, 2021 3:54 AM

Alabama has a ton of foreign investment. It hasn't changed the people for the better at all.

by Anonymousreply 183December 28, 2021 6:59 AM

Atlanta has frequent power outages and a water infrastructure problem.

by Anonymousreply 184December 28, 2021 7:02 AM

^add drought, wildfires, earthquakes, high taxes, mudslides, pollution, oil spills and wildfires and you've got CA

by Anonymousreply 185December 28, 2021 7:14 AM

It has a very heavy negro smell. It even manages to reach the main house from time to time- if the winds are blowing east from the slave quarters.

by Anonymousreply 186December 28, 2021 7:23 AM

[quote] Most of you who ae making these [bold] ignoant statements and absud ponouncements [/bold] have not been to Atlanta in the past 10-15 years.

Is your post a parody post of Atlanta/Georgia, R180? You are solidifying what many posters have stated about the backwater that is the very state/city you are mentioning.

And yes. Some of us have lived in the area ā€œin the past 10-15 yearsā€; but have equally lived elsewhere so as to have reference points to compare and contrast the place you laud.

by Anonymousreply 187December 28, 2021 8:17 AM

Georgia the country or Georgia the state?

by Anonymousreply 188December 28, 2021 8:19 AM

I well remember back during the 96 Olympics the foreign press were writing nasty things about Atlanta. Turned out they had been ordered to do so by the people they worked for because so many countries were mad Atlanta got the 100th anniversary games. But the funny thing was, after all the foreign journalists got to Atlanta they started desperately begging local news agencies for jobs. They were all pretty much told to go piss up a rope.

But who cares what these malcontents around here think of Atlanta. For every one of them there are thousands who come to Atlanta and wouldn't consider living anywhere else. There is no city on the planet that can give to everyone everything they want. If Atlanta can't give you enough of what you want for you to be happy then by all means go somewhere else. Trust me, it's a win-win for you & Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 189December 28, 2021 1:57 PM

OP Bitter Californians badmouthing Georgia apparently

by Anonymousreply 190December 28, 2021 3:00 PM

R185, you forgot homelessness.

by Anonymousreply 191December 28, 2021 3:29 PM

Los Angeles & NYC queens, more than anywhere else, are terrified at the thought their cities are losing prestige. And trust me, both of those cities are losing both prestige and population every day. People have simple had enough and the benefits of living in there is rapidly getting to the point of being outweighed by all the negatives.

One thing I've always found very interesting about LA & NYC is that you rarely find someone born and raised in either city who have anything good to say about them. They dream of getting out one day. The newcomers are starry eyed about living in one of the 2 biggest cities in the nation, but if they stay long enough most of them eventually get to the point they can't take it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 192December 28, 2021 3:31 PM

When I contempwate R180's dudgeon I cannot settle on a voice. Either I hear Elmer Fudd, with notes of Bernadette Peters and a heavy lashing of Lucy Worsley.

by Anonymousreply 193December 28, 2021 3:43 PM

[Quote]but if they stay long enough most of them eventually get to the point they can't take it anymore.

And r192? Yes a lot of people don't necessarily want to grow old in NY, but that doesn't mean that they didn't love living in NY when they were younger.

Also after all the doom and gloom about NY, estimates of it losing population were wrong and the census showed it gained a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 194December 28, 2021 3:49 PM

R192 I was born and raised in LA, and did my education/training at UCLA. I then moved to NYC.

There is so much I like about LA, especially the neighborhoods where I grew up (Los Feliz and Pasadena). But there is much to dislike as well.

I wish I could return to LA of my teen years - when you could wait for the end of rush hour at 10 AM and then speed to the beach, returning before 3 PM. There was less trash too. Yes, there were probably 4 million less people in LA County at that time as well.

by Anonymousreply 195December 28, 2021 4:12 PM

From 2020 to 2921, New Yorkā€™s state population loss was 319,000, 22% more than the California loss. New Yorkā€™s population decline was minus 1.58%, compared to minus 0.66% in California. The difference is attributable to the fact that the state of California has about twice the population of New York.

New Yorkā€™s domestic migration loss was nearly equal to that of California, at minus 334,000. This is a loss of minus 1.75%, about double that of Californiaā€™s 0.89%. It is an increase in net domestic migration from New Yorkā€™s 2010-2020 annual average of minus 155,000.

by Anonymousreply 196December 28, 2021 5:16 PM

2020 to 2021

by Anonymousreply 197December 28, 2021 5:16 PM

Well, there was a bribery scandal R189. The IOC is a right-wing organization and Athens and Toronto were not right-wing enough for them.

by Anonymousreply 198December 29, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote] OP Bitter Californians badmouthing Georgia apparently

We never think of Georgia. A few posters on this thread seem preoccupied with California, however. It's okay, though -- we're used to people thinking they have some great [one-sided] rivalry with us for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 199December 29, 2021 2:28 AM

At heart, gays are just sassy black females in white male bodies. So these two should fit in well in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 200December 29, 2021 12:06 PM

Net Domestic Migration by State July 1, 2020 to July 1, 2021:

Florida +220,890 Texas +170,307 Arizona +93,026

California -367,299 New York -352,185 Illinois -122,460

by Anonymousreply 201December 29, 2021 12:53 PM

Why would anyone leave California? It is a paradise.

by Anonymousreply 202December 29, 2021 1:02 PM

My thoughts exactly.

by Anonymousreply 203December 29, 2021 1:04 PM

[quote] We never think of Georgia

No, everyday Californians never think of Georgia or most any other state. It's only a small cadre of silly people on this board who like to run their mouths about any place other than where they live. It gives them a chance to say things to someone they'd never say to their face to face.

by Anonymousreply 204December 29, 2021 1:09 PM

The CaliExodus continues

by Anonymousreply 205December 29, 2021 1:09 PM

How is Stockton? Is that up and coming?

by Anonymousreply 206December 29, 2021 1:15 PM

How about Chico? Why donā€™t Californians talk about Chico?

by Anonymousreply 207December 29, 2021 1:19 PM

Stockton's not as nice as San Francisco but it is affordable and a reasonable commute into the Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2021 1:19 PM

There was a young guy in Stockton CA who flew his plane straight into his wife's grave back in 1949. There's a video I came across of it on YouTube the other night.

It was his high school sweet heart. They got married and had a child/children and she died and he couldn't cope with her death so he ended up flying his plane straight into her grave because he missed her so much. His parents, who I believe we're rich ended up raising the kids. His parents died in the late 60s. It was a sad video.

by Anonymousreply 209December 29, 2021 1:59 PM

Here's the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 29, 2021 2:03 PM

Wouldnā€™t flying into a grave constitute disrespect toward the deceased?

by Anonymousreply 211December 29, 2021 2:09 PM

Chico is a nice college town, with a cute historical downtown. My aunt was a prof at Cal State Chico.

Below is what $225,000 gets you in Chico - 400 sq ft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 29, 2021 2:09 PM

R211 I guess he was so despondent he just wanted to be with his wife. He couldn't handle the loss.

by Anonymousreply 213December 29, 2021 2:12 PM

I'm not from California by the way, I'm from Georgia. Just happened to come across that video the other night on YouTube and since someone mentioned Stockton, thought I'd bring up that story and post the video. Just thought it was something interesting others might like to know about.

by Anonymousreply 214December 29, 2021 2:15 PM

If you come across unfriendly people in Georgia. 9 times out of 10 they're probably not native born Georgians. There's been a lot of people moving here from up north and stereotypically, northerners are not the most pleasant people to deal with all the time. They can bring that northern sensibility of being an asshole with them down to the south, we definitely have our own deplorable assholes down here too. But there's still a common responsibility most people give each other in general.

Just remember, that everyone living in the south is native to the south whenever you encounter assholes in the south.

by Anonymousreply 215December 29, 2021 2:27 PM

Yep, even mean southerners recognize a certain level of public decorum and pleasantries. I was shocked at how openly blunt, rude, and vulgar the Northeast is.

by Anonymousreply 216December 29, 2021 2:29 PM

I meant everyone isn't native to the south.

by Anonymousreply 217December 29, 2021 2:31 PM

What's the deplorable section of town so I can stay away from it.

by Anonymousreply 218December 29, 2021 3:04 PM

Why? Do you think bands of republicans are going to recognize you as a queer liberal and surround you if you venture into their part of town? If you're really the OP R218 I'm sad for you that you'd be that ignorant. What are the deplorable parts of the city in California where you live now? Are you terrified to go there? I understand there are lots of republicans in Beverly Hills. Are you terrified to drive down Santa Monica Blvd.? Afraid a sniper is going to pick you off from a window as you drive by?

Just so you know, people in Atlanta live wherever they choose and can afford. No one, I repeat NO ONE pays any attention to the political makeup of any area. Everyone pretty much gets along just as they do in cities in California, until someone decides to make a public spectacle of themselves. We believe that one's political and religious beliefs are private and should be kept that way.

by Anonymousreply 219December 29, 2021 4:18 PM

Haha. The person stating that Atlanta is only hot and humid for a ā€œfew weeks in July and Augustā€.

I want some of what they are smoking. My Mother and I were laughing at that comment. We recall the humidity/heat beginning in April (or at the latest May) and continuing through the Autumn. Just look up the high temp averages for those months. They are in the 80s+. Add 80% humidity and voila. The humid furnace blast hits you every time you open the door. Sure you can jog outside in the Spring. But be prepared to become dehydrated and drenched with sweat. Itā€™s a subTROPICAL climate. (And yet the winters can be cool, grey and rainy). As another poster said, unless you have allergies, early spring is most beautiful/temperate in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 220December 29, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote] My Mother and I were laughing at that comment.

You read Datalounge with your mom? WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 221December 29, 2021 4:56 PM

^ Nope. Told her about it. The comment was so far removed from our experience.

As part of my fatherā€™s employment, we moved 15X growing up. Lived in many places. And the one thing we all associate with Atlanta is the persistent, horrid humidity. [The humidity was even a clue for Atlanta in a recent game of charades. Hahahaha....]

Like I said, if someone only experiences humidity in Atlanta only ā€œfor a few weeks in July and Augustā€, they are living in a very different Atlanta than we all experienced.....

by Anonymousreply 222December 29, 2021 5:03 PM

I've lived in Atlanta for over 68 years. Yes, it's humid from April sometimes into early October. The worst months are June - August. I've also seen it snow in Atlanta on Halloween, I've seen it go down to -5Ā° on Christmas Eve, and I've seen it get up to 105Ā° for several days once back in the 80s, in August. Just like everywhere else Atlanta has a wide range of weather. If you can't handle humidity, then don't move anywhere east of the New Mexico/Texas border.

I'm as accustomed to humidity as people in Minnesota are accustomed to 4' of snow on the ground and below zero temperatures for weeks on end. We all learn to deal with it and don't whine like pussies. The plusses of living in Atlanta far outweigh the negatives. I had the chance to live almost anywhere I wanted in the US (and a few foreign countries) during my working life. I traveled all over the world for work. I never found anywhere I thought could give me a better life than I've had in Atlanta. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone. If it's not, by all means live somewhere else. With 6 million plus and growing in the greater Atlanta area I think we'll get by.

by Anonymousreply 223December 29, 2021 5:37 PM

Agreed, R223, no city is perfect.

That said, as a former Atlantan myself, I find the defensiveness of all those who espouse the place interesting.

Every city has perks and challenges: thatā€™s a given. To claim that Atlanta is some ā€œsupercityā€ that everyone loves is mystifying. And I say this as someone who lived inside the perimeter (Decatur/Dunwoody) for years.

Atlanta is many things, but it is not a world-class-level city. The climate may be attractive for those who experience extremes, but it can be extreme, itself.

With the polarization of politics, I have Atlanta friends and colleagues who complain about the lack of safety they feel in the place.....in regards to Covid, despite it being the location of the CDC.

All and all, enjoy Atlanta, just as I enjoy being thankful I am no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 224December 29, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote] That said, as a former Atlantan myself, I find the defensiveness of all those who espouse the place interesting.

How do you find the defensiveness espoused by people in LA and other cities? People in LA have been saying LA and California is the greatest place on the planet for years here. That's okay, but Atlantans defending their city is not? If you love it, defending the city you call home from lies and exaggerations is a perfectly normal thing to do. Anyone who loves their city and sits back and lets others run it into the ground are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 225December 29, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] How do you find the defensiveness espoused by people in LA and other cities? People in LA have been saying LA and California is the greatest place on the planet for years here. That's okay, but Atlantans defending their city is not? If you love it, defending the city you call home from lies and exaggerations is a perfectly normal thing to do. [bold] Anyone who loves their city and sits back and lets others run it into the ground are pathetic.[/bold]

Calm down, R225. This is not worth getting all worked up over.

The post was addressing the exaggerated statements that ā€œ[bold]everybody [/bold]who moved to Atlanta loves itā€. Or the humidity is for ā€œonly a few weeks in July or Augustā€.

Seems the exaggerations are promulgated by those in bizarre defensiveness for Atlanta: such as yourself.

As for someone who has lived in both Atlanta AND LA, I note again that neither city is perfect. Both face problems and challenges.....some of which are more overt than others: homelessness, poverty, crime, climate change, soaring costs, etc.

Although I thought I would never say this, of the two cities, I prefer Los Angeles: a major city, temperate weather, coastal availability and general zeitgeist (LA/California has taken Covid more seriously than the city home of the CDC. And this is coming from CDC colleagues).

But thatā€™s just my preference.....or OPINION. I KNOW LA is not some perfect place, by any stretch of the imagination.

And despite what you or others say (in defensive mode) Atlanta is NOT either.

by Anonymousreply 226December 29, 2021 6:45 PM

Whenever I think of LA, I always think of Colin Ferrell almost breaking down on Jimmy Kimmel talking about the poverty and homelessness right outside of the studio Kimmels show is filmed in.

That's what I think of Whenever I think of LA.

by Anonymousreply 227December 29, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] Whenever I think of LA, I always think of Colin Ferrell almost breaking down on Jimmy Kimmel talking about the poverty and homelessness right outside of the studio Kimmels show is filmed in.

[quote] That's what I think of Whenever I think of LA.

Itā€™s heartbreaking. Thereā€™s no question. And itā€™s heightened by the contrast of the homeless population juxtaposed next to the celebrity lives of those like Jimmy Kimmel and Colin Farrell.

Those from other countries - or those who have lived abroad - find it horrifying.

I worked down on Skid Row for some time. And was amazed at the homeless transplants. Many were given bus tickets or passage to a place where they could live outside year round. Hard to do that in Minnesota or Iowa.

One of my colleagues who worked with me stated that Hawaii would have the same problem with homelessness as California if it were part of the contiguous lower 48.

As the last several years have clearly demonstrated, the end-stage capitalism (and lack of compassion for those less fortunate) is hugely problematic for the Good ā€˜Ole USA.

by Anonymousreply 228December 29, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] ^I'm close to Atlanta and NOBODY much is wearing masks in the grocery store, in restaurants of course, and the liquor store. Bars are open and full of people. Everybody is acting completely clueless about the fact that Omicron is supposed to be swirling everywhere around them. Educated, fully vax'd folks having big dinner parties in their houses...We'll see how it all goes.

Poster 595 from the Omicron Covid Thread

by Anonymousreply 229December 29, 2021 7:43 PM

The CDC and Delta are based in Atlanta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 29, 2021 8:03 PM

R230 The American media is sorry as fuck! They've been complicit in all of the shit that's been going on in thus country the last few years under you know who.

by Anonymousreply 231December 29, 2021 8:57 PM

[QUOTE] We believe that one's political and religious beliefs are private and should be kept that way.

Well I'm sorry I just can't abide by that. I believe Drumpf committed a crime and I will shout it to the rooftops, wherever I am.

by Anonymousreply 232December 29, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] Calm down, [R225]. This is not worth getting all worked up over.

I know you think that silly comment makes you look like the reasonable one. Trust me, it doesn't. Your opinion about Atlanta is inconsequential. But there are those of us who will always be there to throw it back in your face.

by Anonymousreply 233December 29, 2021 9:59 PM

DAYUMMMMM. R233 is triggered.

by Anonymousreply 234December 29, 2021 10:44 PM

I think this thread showcases how nasty Southerners actually are behind their fake nice facade

by Anonymousreply 235December 29, 2021 10:46 PM

That old canard of r235's is so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 236December 29, 2021 10:48 PM

Bless your heart R236

by Anonymousreply 237December 29, 2021 11:02 PM

How does Atlanta stack up against Dallas though?

by Anonymousreply 238December 29, 2021 11:09 PM

I want to know how Atlanta compares to Wilton Manors. Both cities are in the south.

by Anonymousreply 239December 29, 2021 11:12 PM

Dallas is a flat ugly place with not one geographically interesting thing about it. Atlanta is hilly and lush and close to the Blue Ridge mountains.

by Anonymousreply 240December 29, 2021 11:14 PM

R232 Have you ever thought of charging Trump rent for all the time he spends living in your head rent free?

by Anonymousreply 241December 30, 2021 12:41 AM

I have R225/R233 blocked. He must be the loon that defends Atlanta like it was Fort Knox in any other Atlanta thread on DL. Sorry, bud, your city is not as interesting as you think it is.

by Anonymousreply 242December 30, 2021 12:51 AM

Oh you must be the one I love to tell to take a Midol and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 243December 30, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] I know you think that silly comment makes you look like the reasonable one. Trust me, it doesn't. Your opinion about Atlanta is inconsequential.

I think that your posts speak for themselves, R233 / R225. By your own logic, [bold] your own opinion is ā€œinconsequentialā€. [/bold]

Your need to denigrate others in service of a mid-size city that you happen to like reflects much on the type of place you find so necessary to elevate.

As other posters have noted, the saccharine-Southern-superficiality does not play well with some, and is a major deterrent to folks like yourself in Atlanta. You and the accusatory poster claiming everyone who doesnā€™t sing the praises of Atlanta and Georgia are full of ā€œ[bold] ignoant statements and absud ponouncements [/bold]ā€ are what keep your city and state in its Regressive State.

Hypocrisy much?

Like I said, enjoy Atlanta. And Georgia.

Thereā€™s a whole wide world out there for the rest of us, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 244December 30, 2021 1:00 AM

Well then hit the road Toots.

by Anonymousreply 245December 30, 2021 1:02 AM

The men in Tbilisi are so sexy and hairy!

by Anonymousreply 246December 30, 2021 1:12 AM

A typical Georgian athlete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 30, 2021 1:16 AM

Typical Georgian athlete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 30, 2021 1:36 AM

How is Augusta?

by Anonymousreply 249December 30, 2021 1:47 AM

Augusta is a nice little college town. I've only been there once.

by Anonymousreply 250December 30, 2021 4:09 AM

Augusta has some beautiful areas, and is great for medical care. There are several very big hospitals there and more doctors than you can count. The only problem I have with Augusta is the area on the SW side of the city. Drive in on Peach Orchard Rd. or Deans Bridge Rd. and you pass through some of the seediest areas you'll ever see. The downtown area is nice and well maintained. Broad St., the main drag through downtown has a definite all-American look and feel. And the natives are fiercely loyal to their town. To them there is no better place on earth than Augusta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 30, 2021 11:50 AM

Where is OP?

by Anonymousreply 252December 30, 2021 12:54 PM

Yeah, did he ever say where in Georgia he was moving and where in Cali he was moving from?

by Anonymousreply 253December 30, 2021 1:10 PM

[quote] Augusta has some beautiful areas, and is great for medical care. There are several very big hospitals there and more doctors than you can count. The only problem I have with Augusta is the area on the SW side of the city. Drive in on Peach Orchard Rd. or Deans Bridge Rd. and you pass through some of the seediest areas you'll ever see.

Georgiaā€™s med school was in Augusta. Hence, all the doctors.

Those of us in Atl used to call it Disgusta due to the seedy areas R251 mentioned and retrogressive attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 254December 30, 2021 5:12 PM

If I had to live in Augusta I would go over the bridge to N. Augusta, SC.. Small pretty town but close to all the amenities Augusta provides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 30, 2021 5:27 PM

I've lived in the SF East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland) for 10 years, L.A. for 28 years. I've been working in Atlanta for the past 3 years for 1- 3 months stretches at a time. I love to stay in Cabbagetown- it's an artsy liberal enclave that is gentrifying at an astonishing speed (the 1ba/1br AirBnB that I rent out has doubled in value in the last 6 years) close to the beltline, Krog St. Market, Inman Park, Ponce City Market, Whole Food/Trader Joe's and Piedmont Park. The restaurants are solid- there's a huge difference in Japanese food from 2015 (1 or 2 sushi joints), all the Howell Mill restaurants, the Basque restaurants and Gunshow for something interesting.

I adore visiting, but I'm glad I don't live there- I cannot take the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes. Unfortunately my line of work will require working outdoors a lot, and I remember just standing there, sweat dripping down, thinking that my brain was cooking and I was going to faint, no matter how much I hydrated. It's easier for me to warm up than to cool down. I have never witnessed pavement steaming after a rainfall, or glasses steaming up exiting a building. I also was there during their coldest winter in 103 years (I think it was 2015?), which didn't bother me as much. I had some friends who got stuck in that calamitous icy highway collision and didn't get home after 17 hours- apparently the state had 3 snow trucks and no salt at the time.

I do appreciate the Southern politeness and manners here (as well as in Wilmington, North Carolina), when I get back home to L.A., I'll greet people or hold doors like I do in the South, only to have them ignore or look askance.

Also there is no ocean or giant lake nearby. Otherwise, I would consider moving, but in my weird mind, it would mean that I couldn't make it here in L.A. in my profession- I have many people in my industry who couldn't make it here make a decent living there. Plus, I make more money working as a non-local.

by Anonymousreply 256December 30, 2021 5:32 PM

I need to go to ATL And try Hattie Bā€™s!

by Anonymousreply 257December 30, 2021 5:44 PM

It's not all that, r257. I prefer the Flying Biscuit in Midtown. Bonus: Gayborhood.

by Anonymousreply 258December 30, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote] Also there is no ocean or giant lake nearby.

It may not be as large as one of the Great Lakes, but Lake Lanier is big enough to provide lots of water fun. The lake is 38,000 acres/59 square miles and almost 700 miles of shoreline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 30, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote] Krog St. Market, Inman Park, Ponce City Market, Whole Food/Trader Joe's and Piedmont Park. The restaurants are solid- there's a huge difference in Japanese food from 2015 (1 or 2 sushi joints), all the Howell Mill restaurants, the Basque restaurants and Gunshow for something interesting.

That was also one of my favourite areas in Atlanta, R256. I used to drive to Grady and go through Inman Park, which I loved. Before Cabbagetown became a thing, I knew it would boom at some point.

Being into nature and the outdoors, I second your point about the climate. It is prohibitive for long periods of time: the insect pests and humidity wear on one after years of attempting to spend ample time outdoors.

Sounds as though you are in the entertainment industry? Easier to make it in Atlanta than LA. Also sounds as if you have a nice set-up; the ability to enjoy the nicer parts of Atlanta w/o the sprawl or traffic and then return to LA.

Speaking of sprawl, LA certainly has this, although traffic seems better since Covid. One thing LA surprised me with was the nature - and the ability to spend the majority of time outdoors all year long. Mountains, valleys and coast with a sea that holds some of the largest numbers of cetaceans in the world. Who would of thought....outside of populous LA?

by Anonymousreply 260December 30, 2021 6:02 PM

r 259, thanks good to know.

R260, right on the nose about my industry. It was easier to make it in ATL, because of the lack of skilled crew, I recently worked in MA for the late fall and had to get people from ATL and NY because of the lack of available people in MA. Hopefully I'll be back in March for a few months, then on to Spain!

I will say that it takes people 3 years to not hating living in L.A., once they discover that there are mountains, deserts, snow and sea that can be reached in a 1-6 hour drive

by Anonymousreply 261December 30, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] I will say that it takes people 3 years to not hating living in L.A., once they discover that there are mountains, deserts, snow and sea that can be reached in a 1-6 hour drive.

So true and insightful, R261. I deeply resented having to move to LA (from NYC). But gradually began to appreciate the place.

I compared living in Los Angeles to being forced into an arranged marriage where I saw all the flaws of the place immediately and wanted to back out. Yet, that marriage has become one of great love and appreciation over time. I still see the challenges, but donā€™t know there is any other place Iā€™d live now in the USA. Despite all itā€™s shortcomings, California is truly an amazing state.

[It reminds me of New Zealand with itā€™s diverse topography and microclimates.]

by Anonymousreply 262December 30, 2021 6:20 PM

Just a reminder, we sell bug repellant sprays in the south just like they do everywhere else. In the summer months I never go outside without spraying a little on my face and arms. Presto changeo, never bothered by bugs.

by Anonymousreply 263December 30, 2021 6:57 PM

R258, Does the Flying Biscuit have peach cobbler and Nashville chicken?

by Anonymousreply 264December 30, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote] Most insect repellents on the market are loaded with toxic chemicals, including DEET, which is so poisonous that even the Environmental Protection Agency says you should wash it off your skin when you return indoors, avoid breathing it in and not spray it directly on your face.

[quote] Dangers of DEET and Chemical Insect Repellents: The chemical DEET can melt plastic or fishing line. A pharmacologist at Duke University discovered that prolonged exposure to DEET may impair cell function in parts of your brain. This was demonstrated in the lab by death and behavioral changes in rats with frequent or prolonged DEET use. Scientists Vincent Corbel and Bruno Lapied headed a team of researchers from the University of Angersrchers studying the toxicity of DEET. Corbel says: ā€œWeā€™ve found that DEET is not simply a behavior-modifying chemical but also inhibits the activity of a key central nervous system enzyme, acetycholinesterase, in both insects and mammals.ā€

[quote]Permethrin is another harmful chemical found in many bug sprays. This chemical is a neurotoxin, meaning it can kill brain cells. Permethrin is also extremely toxic to bees, cats, and all aquatic life. Not only is it hurting the body, it is also damaging the environment. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has categorized this Permethrin as carcinogenic, capable of causing lung tumors, liver tumors, immune system problems, and chromosomal abnormalities.

[quote]If these sprays can kill mosquitoes and melt plastic, it is probably not a good idea to use on your skin. When we use these repellents, the toxic chemicals that are inside them get directly absorbed into our blood through the skin and may be doing more damage to the body than we ever imagined.

[quote]Long Term Affects of Chemically Based Bug Sprays: Many people do not make the connection between chemically based bug spray and pesticides. However, bug sprays that prevent pests such as mosquitoes through harsh chemicals are indeed pesticides. In the same way you wouldnā€™t put weed killer on your arm you might think twice about putting certain pesticides on your skin. As pesticide use has become a common practice, scientists are now studying the long term side effects these chemicals have on the human body. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), more than 4.5 billion pounds of chemical pesticides are used every year on crops, around the home, around and in ponds, on humans and pets. Studies are now showing that exposure to insect repellents and other pesticides indicates a higher risk of cancers, typically of the blood, brain, lymph system, soft tissues, stomach, prostate and breast. In children, exposure to insect repellents also indicates an increased risk of various forms of cancer, as well as weakening of the immune system. Intermediate exposure has been linked to Neurotoxicity (nerve system damage) while long term exposure has not only been linked to cancer, but also disruption of the endocrine system. This means that pregnant woman and children should limit or avoid their exposure to pesticides as studies are linking them with birth defects as well as growth and development issues.

by Anonymousreply 265December 30, 2021 7:07 PM

I remember Cabbagetown long before it became an "in" place to live. It was the mill village that housed many of the workers at the Fulton Bag & Cotton Mill next door. After the mill closed in the 70s most of the former mill workers gradually moved out. The whole village became a derelict hell hole. Many of the little shotgun shacks literally fell in. Then people started buying them for next to nothing and fixing them up and turned it into a great little village.

This is the Cabbagetown of my youth when the mill was running at full speed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266December 30, 2021 7:18 PM

Here's a before and after of Cabbagetown. On the left is what the village turned into after the mill closed down and most people moved back to the mountains, where they were brought in from tp work at the mill. On the right is what it became after all the artists (well actually the gays) moved in and resurrected it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267December 30, 2021 7:30 PM

Wow, that is amazing r267. Was looking at the prices for condos and houses in that area, it's on par with L.A. Looks like poor Reynoldstown is being taken over by giant soulless modern box condos, and maybe east Atl and Grant Park are the last area with reasonable prices.

by Anonymousreply 268December 30, 2021 7:42 PM

r264, no, but really Hattie's isn't worth it. Here's FB Midtown menu- I had no idea they had so many locations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269December 30, 2021 7:48 PM

We understand there are many Armenians in California. Here in Georgia we hate the Armenians and are almost at war with them. You are not Armenian, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 270December 30, 2021 7:57 PM

Armenians ? When I lived there it was Turkish and Saudi Arabians everywhere. I worked for a Turkish family and they were great people but what a mess they were.

by Anonymousreply 271December 30, 2021 8:11 PM

What a weird statement. Armenians are in Glendale. That's it. Way more Iranians.

by Anonymousreply 272December 30, 2021 8:13 PM

Flying Biscuit looks more like a white brunch place. I donā€™t like brunch food. Iā€™m into soul food.

by Anonymousreply 273December 30, 2021 8:21 PM

Whenever I'm there, at least half the patrons are black r273. But do go and let us know what you think.

by Anonymousreply 274December 30, 2021 9:03 PM

How bad are the summers? Do most people stay inside with AC?

by Anonymousreply 275December 30, 2021 10:28 PM

The average highs in Atlanta in the summer months are in the upper 80s. June 87 - July 89 - August 88 with an average of 7 to 9 days of rain each month. Of course there are 'hot spells' where the temps can get blazingly hot for days & at times weeks. But you have that almost anywhere. Someone mentioned having never seen steam coming off the roads after a rain where they are from. As a child I loved seeing that, and frankly don't mind it today. And no, few stay in the house in the A/C during the summer. Like northerners who've hardened themselves to the cold in the winter, we have hardened ourselves to the heat & humidity in the summer. You'll see runners all over the city on the hottest days of the year just like any other day.

Today we had a rain anomaly. I was looking out into the back yard and it was bright and sunny and dry as a bone. I walked into the living room on the front side of the house and it was still sunny but pouring rain.

by Anonymousreply 276December 30, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] You'll see runners all over the city on the hottest days of the year just like any other day.

Nope. Not true.

To answer your question, the summers usually range from the 80sF-100sF. The 80s temps usually begin in the Spring, though, as others have mentioned and continue well into Autumn. Itā€™s not unusual to see 90s/100s in the summer. It is not so much the heat, though, but the HEAT + HUMIDITY.

Honestly, summers are hell in Atlanta. There are posters like the above that will try to tell you otherwise. It sounds like the poster saying otherwise is the Atlanta-Fort Knox Defender that will brook no criticism of the city. Listen to the poster who talks about working outside Cabbagetown. Heā€™s a more realistic poster.

by Anonymousreply 277December 30, 2021 11:00 PM

Range means nothing. It reflects extremes. The average High temperature at ATL peaks at 89 in mid July

by Anonymousreply 278December 30, 2021 11:02 PM

Well R277 I guess all the runners I see running past my building in the hot summer months are all being chased by the cops. You find summers in Atlanta hell apparently because you're a weakling.

by Anonymousreply 279December 30, 2021 11:04 PM

Facts šŸ‘šŸ¾

by Anonymousreply 280December 30, 2021 11:05 PM

89F and 90% humidity when there is no rain, is painful. Doesnā€™t matter if the temp is 85F or 90F , with that degree of humidity it remains uncomfortable.

I lived in the tropics and experienced extreme heat and humidity. We called it the Build Up. It was very uncomfortable. Then the monsoon rains would come and the saturated air would release into precipitation. This was heaven.

Atlanta is like a Build Up with no release. There is no monsoon season. It is relentless. AC has made living there bearable. Living indoors in artificial air-created environs for months at a time.

by Anonymousreply 281December 30, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] We're moving to Georgia from California My husband got a new job. What should we be expecting?

Quite literally - Hell on Earth

by Anonymousreply 282December 30, 2021 11:12 PM

[quote] Living indoors in artificial air-created environs for months at a time.

Yes, Atlantans turn into pod people in the summer. We go into our pods, lock the doors, and don't come out until October. No one is allowed to come inside or go outside the perimeter. All outdoor life ceases to exist

by Anonymousreply 283December 30, 2021 11:15 PM

Georgia should make the Mosquito the State Bird.

by Anonymousreply 284December 30, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote] If you move to SF, you can go to any store and just take what you want without repercussions.

Yes, both CVS and Walgreens no longer require payment. And I heard that Target is also doing this now too. It helps to offset the high cost of living in that shit hole. $3250 for a decent one bedroom is insane.

by Anonymousreply 285December 30, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] Georgia should make the Mosquito the State Bird.

Hahahahaha, good one, R284. Too true and unlike the poster who always sprays bug repellent on every time they go out (yuck!), we always get eaten alive.

by Anonymousreply 286December 30, 2021 11:19 PM

I sneaked outside my pod once in August and my hair caught on fire. IT LITERALLY CAUGHT ON FIRE!! But there was no one to help me put the fire out since everyone stays inside for months. I still have the scars to prove it. šŸ¤Ŗ

by Anonymousreply 287December 30, 2021 11:19 PM

Composite drawing of the average Georgian man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 30, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote] Yes, Atlantans turn into pod people in the summer. We go into our pods, lock the doors, and don't come out until October. No one is allowed to come inside or go outside the perimeter. All outdoor life ceases to exist.

I assume you are being sarcastic, R283, but we have a neighbor who has a large house with a Mother-In-Law Suite where the Mother of the family lives. She is in her late 60s and essentially does as you describe in her Pod. She keeps the AC on high and it stays that way until October/November when she does then get outside. By that time, the temps are more bearable. Come Spring, she holes herself up again when the heat and humidity become uncomfortable.

Itā€™s an awful way to live.

by Anonymousreply 289December 30, 2021 11:24 PM

Maybe, just maybe she has health issues. Most older people anywhere are told to stay out of extreme temperatures. Not that I believe for one second she never comes out for months on end.

by Anonymousreply 290December 30, 2021 11:34 PM

She doesnā€™t have any ā€œhealth issuesā€. She is slightly overweight, but not significantly so. Pre-pandemic I used to love to visit with her, as her place is so cool and comfortable in the summer.

Just as some people are sensitive to the cold and do not tolerate the cold well, the same can be said of heat and humidity. Familiar with Raynaudā€™s?

As there is no coastal cooling, or afternoon doctor breeze to cool to things down in Atlanta, the consistency of heat and humidity is difficult for some people....and because their corporeal being does not tolerate it well, does not make them any less of a person.

by Anonymousreply 291December 30, 2021 11:42 PM

I live in East Atlanta, I love it hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 31, 2021 1:38 AM

Midtown is also a nice place to live.

Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands and Druids Hills are good if youā€™re older (and have lots of $$$).

Donā€™t go to Buckhead, itā€™s full of ā€œreal housewivesā€ trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293December 31, 2021 1:43 AM

I'm the film industry person upthread- I loved Virginia Highlands with all their Craftsmen houses, small boutiques, restaurants (amazing gelato place there), until I stayed in Cabbagetown. But Atlanta overall has some beautiful houses, not too touched by the modern invasion that we've been having in West Hollywood for the past 15 years- almost all the Craftsmen are gone here.

Someone upthread mentioned getting used to the heat- I thought I never got used to it until one early evening, it was 79 degrees with 80% humidity and I thought it how was cool and refreshing it was. But I still hate the heat. Pretty bad allergy season in the spring too. People's A/C must so so expensive there to run continuously. Do people have mold problems like they do in S.F/Bay Area?

by Anonymousreply 294December 31, 2021 2:22 AM

How safe is the subway system in Atlanta?

by Anonymousreply 295December 31, 2021 2:28 AM

R289 and I have a cousin who has a mother-in-law who has a coworker who has an uncle who ...

by Anonymousreply 296December 31, 2021 3:21 AM

Buckhead used to have one of the best gay bars ever, called the Pharr Library, but that was forty to fifty years ago.....

by Anonymousreply 297December 31, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote] People's A/C must so so expensive there to run continuously. Do people have mold problems like they do in S.F/Bay Area?

Yup, AC bills can be unfortunately very high for some. Also we had high mold levels in our lower level.

Buckhead used to be a bit different than it is now. Wouldnā€™t want to live or go there atm.

by Anonymousreply 298December 31, 2021 5:08 AM

R294, is so delicate, so dainty.

by Anonymousreply 299December 31, 2021 12:17 PM

Get an anti depressant script ASAP.

Start drinking spirits to take away the pain

When conversing with the locals, don't use any words longer than 3 syllables at most. Any more and you will just confuse them.

If you ask them where the nearest health store is, they will direct to the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 300December 31, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote] How safe is the subway system in Atlanta?

The MARTA is filled with sketchy people. Don't even think of taking it outside of normal business hours.

by Anonymousreply 301December 31, 2021 12:40 PM

Yess r299, I did a job in Lancaster, CA last summer for 2 months in 106 degree weather and thought I was dying as well. No pop ups for us-it was brutal. It took the lead actor and the director to get heatstroke for production to give us pop ups for 2 days. Then that went away., so back to holding individual umbrellas for us. I will say I'd rather have dry heat than humid. At least we had wind blowing around occasionally, but it felt like a giant blow dryer.

But back to the thread- MARTA is like any other rail system in a city- it depends what neighborhoods you're on/off boarding and riding through. Also, have we ever heard back from the OP?

by Anonymousreply 302December 31, 2021 1:09 PM

I've been taking the trains since 1979. I've gone from Midtown to the airport countless times in day and night with my luggage and briefcase. I've never had a single incident on the train and I've never seen any incident on the train. I did see the cops arresting some guy on the platform once at the Lakewood/Ft. Mac station.

by Anonymousreply 303December 31, 2021 1:10 PM

In 2020 there were 208 reported "offenses" committed on MARTA trains. A combined total of 282 offenses were committed in the MARTA system (busses/trains/streetcars/park - ing lots/facilities. That number represents a 35% decrease from 2019. Considering the number of riders on the MARTA system every day the chance of being a victim of a crime on MARTA is quite low.

[quote] Combined Ridership for the month of August was 4.5 million unlinked passenger boardings, exceeding the forecast by 0.2 million. The 2022 Fiscal Year-to-Date (months of July through August) Combined Ridership of 9.1 million unlinked trips exceeded the forecast by 0.6 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304December 31, 2021 1:30 PM

There used to be a lot of crazies but that was twenty years ago. I wonder where they stashed them all?

by Anonymousreply 305December 31, 2021 4:01 PM

thanks R301.

Is downtown Atlanta safe to walk around at night?

by Anonymousreply 306December 31, 2021 11:53 PM

you are going to be on here crying (complaining) in less than a year.

by Anonymousreply 307December 31, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote] Is downtown Atlanta safe to walk around at night?

As long as you stay in the areas where there are plenty of people. The area around Centennial Olympic Park is relatively safe and there are usually a lot of people around there when the weather is warm. The area around Peachtree Center is safe. Heading farther south there's really not much but office towers and state, city, and Fulton county office buildings and the expanse of the Ga. State University campus intertwined with all the office buildings that are all emptied out at night.

But honestly, unless there's some big function going on downtown there's not much to do down there at night. The action is in Midtown and Buckhead. But like any city walking around at night alone in areas where there aren't a lot of people is not advised.

by Anonymousreply 308January 1, 2022 12:28 AM

There are sketchy people on every subway system in the country. And just because someone looks sketchy that does not mean they're criminals. If you don't want to be around a lot of people who can't afford a car or who don't know how to drive, stay off subway systems.

by Anonymousreply 309January 1, 2022 12:29 AM

R309 especially in NYC

by Anonymousreply 310January 1, 2022 12:40 AM

Our country is very hairy men. Hope you like!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311January 1, 2022 1:09 AM

Good time to move. The latest ecological mishap in CA is 2-4 million tons of sewage spilled in the ocean in Long Beach where beaches are closed.

by Anonymousreply 312January 1, 2022 1:39 AM

Homeless people and drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 313January 1, 2022 1:48 AM

R309, not every subway system requires police in every car like MARTA has been having. Plus it's a very convenient way to get the airport so sometimes you don't have a choice.

by Anonymousreply 314January 1, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote] Is downtown Atlanta safe to walk around at night?

That would be a no, at least south of the Fox Theater.

by Anonymousreply 315January 1, 2022 2:00 AM

R314 as long as there are Uber, Lyft, busses and taxis or friends and family who can drive you to and/or pick you up at the airport choices exist in Atlanta as anywhere,

by Anonymousreply 316January 1, 2022 2:07 AM

MARTA does not have a cop in every car. Jesus where do you get this crap.

by Anonymousreply 317January 1, 2022 2:08 AM

and PS R314 who wants to drag around luggage on the subway!

by Anonymousreply 318January 1, 2022 2:09 AM

[quote] The latest ecological mishap in CA is 2-4 million tons of sewage spilled in the ocean in Long Beach where beaches are closed.

As opposed to the 10 millions tons of sewage spilled from Marjorie Taylor Green's mouth every day in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 319January 1, 2022 2:11 AM

R317 they obstinately don't want to get it, and, in their lives, they rarely get it. That's what turns them into such persnickety hair-splitte

by Anonymousreply 320January 1, 2022 2:12 AM

MARTA has more rail cars than they have police officers.

by Anonymousreply 321January 1, 2022 2:16 AM

[quote] as long as there are Uber, Lyft, busses and taxis or friends and family who can drive you to and/or pick you up at the airport choices exist in Atlanta as anywhere

Yeah, cause friends and family are dying to drive you to the airport at 7am or pick you up at 11pm. And who wants to pay for a $40 Uber to Sandy Springs when a MARTA ride costs $2.50?

by Anonymousreply 322January 1, 2022 2:17 AM

R322 You need friends! And why not take one of the many shuttles that run all day and into the evening. Who wants to drag luggage onto a crowded subway? or just wallow in your lonely, bitter misery!

by Anonymousreply 323January 1, 2022 2:57 AM

R322 I do and maybe share a ride or take a bus. . . If you can't afford it why travel?

by Anonymousreply 324January 1, 2022 3:02 AM

R322 How do people get to and from LAX without any subway to take them there? And who wants to ride a subway at 11pm or midnight anyway?

by Anonymousreply 325January 1, 2022 3:08 AM

R319 at least her mouth doesn't destroy sea life like oil spills and millions of tons of toxic crap. You'll need a hazmat suit to wade into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 326January 1, 2022 3:39 AM

[quote] You need friends!

I have plenty. How many do you have that don't have any problem driving you at 7am?

[quote] How do people get to and from LAX without any subway to take them there?

But Atlanta has one, dumbass, that drops off you right at the terminal. So it would be the logical choice.

[quote] Who wants to drag luggage onto a crowded subway?

Not everyone's going to Paris for three weeks and will have 5 suitcases in tow. Someone on a 2 day business trip or weekend getaway will have a small bag at most.

by Anonymousreply 327January 1, 2022 7:07 AM

[quote] How do people get to and from LAX without any subway to take them there?

There's the FlyAway bus.

by Anonymousreply 328January 1, 2022 7:13 AM

R328 Now I know why you have no friends. You're tiresome as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 329January 1, 2022 4:40 PM

R327 no wonder you have no friends to take you to the airport?

by Anonymousreply 330January 1, 2022 4:50 PM

Subways are so germy and does everyone wear a mask?

by Anonymousreply 331January 1, 2022 5:37 PM

5 suitcases for 3 weeks? Sweet Jesus, you don't know how to pack.

by Anonymousreply 332January 1, 2022 7:39 PM

What grown up can't afford Uber or a town car to get to and from the airport? I would never ask any friend to do such a tiresome task, and I pay about $200 to get to the closest airport.

It's like asking friends to help you move. Perfectly fine when you are in college, absolutely not as an adult. Pay movers to hurt their backs, not your friends.

by Anonymousreply 333January 1, 2022 8:21 PM

I take you from Tbilisi airport wherever you need go - I am uber driver. Forget what these guys say. Maybe we also have some adventures?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 1, 2022 9:04 PM

R333 assuming you have friends I can see where driving someone 30 minutes to the airport would be comparable to lifting furniture and boxes downstairs and loading them into a van and then unloading the van and carrying the furniture and boxes into another place and upstairs or into an elevator would seem like equal tasks.

by Anonymousreply 335January 1, 2022 9:15 PM

Hey ass at R335, you don't know how far away I live from the airport. I bet you need to harass your "friends" for noxious tasks such as carting your carcass around town and to the airport.

I am sure your friends pity you, for your inability to pay for a town car. You are probably their pity project.

Glad I can afford the town car, otherwise I would have to become a ride pest such as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 336January 2, 2022 4:47 AM

Block R335 and the thread becomes much more pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 337January 2, 2022 12:04 PM

I have learned a new term today: ride pest

by Anonymousreply 338January 2, 2022 12:22 PM

R336 yessum, Miss Daisy!

by Anonymousreply 339January 2, 2022 7:06 PM

R336 you do know that we are talking about Atlanta and not the Hudson Valley?

by Anonymousreply 340January 2, 2022 7:10 PM

I would never ask friends to take me to the airport either.

If you can't afford the uber maybe you should be saving money rather than traveling.

by Anonymousreply 341January 2, 2022 7:16 PM

R341 because you don't have friends and if you do, they probably exclaim oy vey! every time they have to move from the couch to use the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 342January 2, 2022 7:40 PM

Throwing into some weird antisemitism r342. That's nice.

Maybe one day you'll grow up.

by Anonymousreply 343January 2, 2022 7:45 PM

R343 Maybe one day you'll have friends who don't see you as a pest or bother and would offer to do a favor for you. @ R316 I said that instead of taking the subway to the airport a bus, shuttle, or Uber would be preferable or possibly a friend could take you. The rest is all you projection an overreaction.

by Anonymousreply 344January 2, 2022 8:01 PM

R338 How about 'seeing the whole picture' See R316 before you overreact to only one part of what was said!

by Anonymousreply 345January 2, 2022 8:05 PM

R336 You need to stop projecting and limiting the scope of what I said @ R316

by Anonymousreply 346January 2, 2022 8:07 PM

R336 and I am suitably impressed that you can afford a town car

by Anonymousreply 347January 2, 2022 8:16 PM

R65 - while much of what you say is true, it is very easy to find great Mexican or Thai food. Just drive out Buford highway and there and many many great ethnic restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 348January 2, 2022 9:17 PM

R343' throwing into some weird antisemitism

by Anonymousreply 349January 2, 2022 9:29 PM

R341 'I would never . . .' Karen meets Frau

by Anonymousreply 350January 2, 2022 10:28 PM

R333 you and your 'friends' sound tiresome

by Anonymousreply 351January 2, 2022 10:30 PM

R341 is a New Yorker which means that if you were being assaulted no one would call 911 but they would film it.

by Anonymousreply 352January 2, 2022 10:37 PM

If you're used to a fun nightlife, prepare to be bored.

by Anonymousreply 353January 2, 2022 11:40 PM

R353 the OP has a husband and with Grindr and social media you can still have a fun life at night

by Anonymousreply 354January 3, 2022 3:22 AM

I get a ride pest vibe from R343.

by Anonymousreply 355January 4, 2022 1:29 AM

I get a lonely friendless vibe from R338 and R355. Someone whose learned a new term and out of boredom is trying it out again. R316

by Anonymousreply 356January 4, 2022 2:55 AM

OP who moves to a place without checking it out first? You and the information you provided have a sketchy vibe!

by Anonymousreply 357January 4, 2022 3:14 AM

OP Do you travel with your mother's corpse in the passenger seat to discourage hitchhikers and ride pests.

by Anonymousreply 358January 4, 2022 3:20 AM

How old are you OP? You lived in NYC in the 70s I see.

by Anonymousreply 359January 4, 2022 3:21 AM

OP I think Atlanta's climate might be tough for an old gal like you.

by Anonymousreply 360January 4, 2022 3:23 AM

R355 see R28

by Anonymousreply 361January 4, 2022 3:33 AM

OP it all sounds so fabulist!

by Anonymousreply 362January 4, 2022 3:34 AM

R306 like you and Inwood it's dicey, but fewer ride pests at night

by Anonymousreply 363January 4, 2022 3:43 AM

R253 OP is bored out of their skull and a fraud. No husband and no life!

by Anonymousreply 364January 4, 2022 4:12 AM

R306 yeah MARTA is dangerous. Avoid it! Does your 'husband' have a car?

by Anonymousreply 365January 4, 2022 4:16 AM

R333 You seem so triggered by the word 'friends'

by Anonymousreply 366January 4, 2022 4:17 AM

OP sounds like an unstable Manhattanite.

by Anonymousreply 367January 4, 2022 4:19 AM

The only move the OP has made is from the attic to the basement

by Anonymousreply 368January 4, 2022 4:24 AM

R327 what airport has only early morning flights?

by Anonymousreply 369January 4, 2022 4:31 AM

R355 See R252

by Anonymousreply 370January 4, 2022 4:44 AM

R273 I'm into Seoul food myself!

by Anonymousreply 371January 4, 2022 4:50 AM

R338 See R253

by Anonymousreply 372January 4, 2022 4:53 AM

R287 That's what you get for buying those cheap wigs!

by Anonymousreply 373January 4, 2022 4:58 AM

R239 Wilton Manors has a population of 12K as opposed to Atlanta which has 500K. They're practically twin cities. The main difference is that you can walk to the airport from anywhere in Wilton Manors.

by Anonymousreply 374January 4, 2022 5:06 AM

OP What does your 'husband' do when he's not changing your bedpan?

by Anonymousreply 375January 4, 2022 5:25 AM

R336 hopefully you can afford a nurse to change your diapers

by Anonymousreply 376January 4, 2022 5:28 AM

R314 see R301

by Anonymousreply 377January 4, 2022 5:42 AM

R336 you make an occasional favor sound like a full-time job

by Anonymousreply 378January 4, 2022 5:44 AM

Does R343 = R356?

by Anonymousreply 379January 4, 2022 12:23 PM

For some reason R356 through R378 don't show up. I can't have THAT many people blocked.

by Anonymousreply 380January 4, 2022 12:25 PM

R343 is the one who accuses everyone of anti-semitism.

by Anonymousreply 381January 4, 2022 12:43 PM

R75 If California is so wonderful, why did you move from California to Atlanta in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 382January 4, 2022 4:08 PM

R379 No

R338=R355=OP

by Anonymousreply 383January 4, 2022 4:26 PM

These southern queens sound so damaged and tiresome. It must be from growing up in the bible belt!

by Anonymousreply 384January 4, 2022 4:32 PM

R384 few of the posters on this thread are from the South!

by Anonymousreply 385January 4, 2022 4:35 PM

A massive hurricane taking out the South would be doing the country some favors.

by Anonymousreply 386January 4, 2022 4:38 PM

R386 with oil spills, mudslides, droughts, floods, wildfires and earthquakes . . . the South will probably outlast CA

by Anonymousreply 387January 4, 2022 5:52 PM

I went to Savannah last week, actually spent some time there. I rode my bike through all forty of the squares. It is one of the most beautiful of American cities with all the green space, broad boulevards and architectural variety. The touristy area is obnoxious, but itā€™s a big city with lots of unique neighborhoods. I liked it more than uptight Charleston. The Bonaventura Cemetery is unbelievably romantic.

by Anonymousreply 388January 4, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote] but itā€™s a big city with lots of unique neighborhoods

Savannah is a big town, not a big city.

by Anonymousreply 389January 4, 2022 6:09 PM

R387 yes dearest. Because the South never experiences oil spills and natural disasters, not to mention your terrible politics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390January 4, 2022 8:40 PM

Never said never R390

8.5 million TONS of toxic sewage spilled onto streets and into the ocean due to a severed line and over 2, 500,000 acres have been destroyed in wildfires. Earthquakes are mostly CA events and raise the risks of tsunamis. Don't have skin in the game as I don't live in the South or CA.

by Anonymousreply 391January 4, 2022 9:00 PM

R388 Thank you for loving my city. Was it your first time in Savannah?

And yes, the squares in savannah are very beautiful. Especially at night. I wasbout last night walking around downtown savannah and it was nice and cold just the way I like it.

One of the reasons I'm never leaving the S. A. V.

by Anonymousreply 392January 4, 2022 9:11 PM

Does Elton John still have his place in Atlanta? Will he see his old friend Rush Limbaugh on his birthday on January 12?

by Anonymousreply 393January 4, 2022 9:11 PM

R389 Savannah is actually a small city.

by Anonymousreply 394January 4, 2022 9:14 PM

[R392] I have been there a few times before, my family lives near Charleston, but I hadnā€™t really explored the different neighborhoods. It really is stunning, the Italianate mansions are beautiful but there are plenty of more modest places too that are also just as appealing. I liked the bungalows in Thunderbolt. Lucky you, being a native!

by Anonymousreply 395January 4, 2022 9:22 PM

R387 Be careful of what you wish on the south. There's plenty of progressive/democratic voters who like in the south. (Like me) Georgia is not all bad. William T. Sherman burned down a lot of Georgia during the Civil War. But got to Savannah and told his men to stand down. Why? Because he thought Savannah was the most beautiful city he'd ever seen in America. He even gave Savannah to President Lincoln as a Christmas gift because he thought it was so beautiful.

Not everyone in the south is a filthy deplorable. I'm definitely not. Georgia is one of the greenest states in the country, and there's plenty to do here. I'd be more worried about California if I we're you. You guys have big problems out there and you need to fix them like yesterday.

Like the 60K plus homeless people in LA county alone. The homeless problem is so bad in LA, that celebrities feel the need to bring it up while they're making talk show appearances and point out the extreme poverty just outside the studio where the show is being filmed. More and more people are pointing it.

The south is working its self out.

by Anonymousreply 396January 4, 2022 9:22 PM

Yes it is, by quickly becoming Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397January 4, 2022 9:33 PM

and R397 don't forget SF and NYC

by Anonymousreply 398January 4, 2022 9:51 PM

and LAPD is warning of' follow-home robberies' on the rise in Los Angeles

by Anonymousreply 399January 4, 2022 9:54 PM

R396 I think you mean the sour grape Californian @ R386 whose vines are being decimated by wildfires

by Anonymousreply 400January 4, 2022 9:57 PM

R396 It would seem that you have a lot to sort out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 4, 2022 10:56 PM

R396 and CA has a lot to clean up including the air pollution that makes it the most polluted state in the US despite all the regulations.

by Anonymousreply 402January 5, 2022 1:18 AM

R401 The ALA lists California as the most polluted state in terms of ozone and year-round particle pollution with CA having 27 out of the top 75 cities ranked highest in pollution.

by Anonymousreply 403January 5, 2022 1:37 AM

OP you'll breathe easier in Georgia

by Anonymousreply 404January 5, 2022 1:42 AM

Gay conversion therapy is still legal there. There are no protective laws against antigay workplace discrimination. Sad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405January 5, 2022 5:54 AM

R397 have you seen the number of homicides in Chicago? In July of 2021 more people in Chicago died from homicide than COVID-19 .

by Anonymousreply 406January 5, 2022 8:14 AM

[quote] Does Elton John still have his place in Atlanta?

Yes, he does.

by Anonymousreply 407January 5, 2022 12:18 PM

There's a paper mill upwind from Savannah that overwhelms the city with a horrible sour stench for parts of the day. It pervades everything.

by Anonymousreply 408January 5, 2022 1:54 PM

Why do rural people put up with the stink of these mills when many are now owned by the Chinese? They are weak and cowards when it counts. They donā€™t stand up to the stink makers but will gladly run over a democrat with their truck.

I donā€™t get these deplorables. They are so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 409January 5, 2022 2:11 PM

R407 is living in the past. He hasnā€™t had that place for 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 410January 5, 2022 2:12 PM

OP, you don't have a job?

by Anonymousreply 411January 5, 2022 2:16 PM

That's not true r410.

It's certainly not his primary residence, but he does still own the place in Atlanta and spends some time in the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412January 5, 2022 2:33 PM

R408 yet visitors from LA, Bakersfield and Fresno always comment on how fragrant the air is!

by Anonymousreply 413January 5, 2022 4:29 PM

R411 Yes. Creating baseless threads from my basement in Fresno!

by Anonymousreply 414January 5, 2022 7:50 PM

R410 is an idiot who thinks he knows things. Word to the wise. He knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 415January 5, 2022 7:53 PM

The smell from Union Bag & Paper does not pervade Savannah every day. In fact, I was grocery shopping in town last week and there was no smell whatsoever and in the last year every time I've been in town I haven't noticed the smell. When I was a kid in the 50s & 60s it seemed it was every time we were there. I imagine the company has been forced to clear things up.

by Anonymousreply 416January 5, 2022 7:57 PM

I was in Atlanta when Miss Elton had the mother of all garage sales. If he saw a shirt he liked,he'd buy one in every color. Multiples of everything. It was written about like it was some sort of social event.

by Anonymousreply 417January 5, 2022 9:26 PM

OP, did you ever say what city or town youā€™re moving to?

by Anonymousreply 418January 5, 2022 9:47 PM

I don't think OP ever came back r418. Probably a fake thread for the point of starting a thread rather than a real person who is moving and wants help.

by Anonymousreply 419January 5, 2022 9:49 PM

Well, the OP learned a new term @ R338 and applied it @ R355

by Anonymousreply 420January 5, 2022 9:55 PM

How the fyck did a Brit like elton john find his way in the American south in Atlanta? That is really fucking weird.

The brits do not belong in the south. LA/NYC Miami and Vegas are the designated vacation spots for them in America. It's always weird when I see brits in Georgia. They're just so out of place here.

by Anonymousreply 421January 5, 2022 9:59 PM

R421 When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale all the Brits and Canadians I met loved Florida

by Anonymousreply 422January 5, 2022 10:08 PM

[quote] How the fyck did a Brit like elton john find his way in the American south in Atlanta?

Atlanta has major music production facilities and I believe Elton originally came to the city to work with someone in that industry and then, according to him, fell in love with the city. So much so that he decided to make it his home (or at least one of his homes).

by Anonymousreply 423January 5, 2022 11:10 PM

Oh hun r421, know your American History:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424January 5, 2022 11:10 PM

God, you don't need to live up to stereotypes of southerners being provincial hicks r421. "What these furriners doin here?"

Atlanta desperately wants to be considered a world class city, that means being a cosmopolitan place with lots of people from all over the globe.

by Anonymousreply 425January 5, 2022 11:24 PM

As you can see, Tbilisi is inland, but Kutaisi is nearer the coast and a very pleasant city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426January 5, 2022 11:51 PM

One thing I found out very quickly when visiting the UK is that many people there are infatuated with the American Civil War and have studied it in depth. They were also very interested in the southern states and those I met who had visited the south spoke very glowingly about their visit.

Regarding the number of foreign born people living in Atlanta, there are almost 800,000 foreign immigrants in the city (14% of the total population), and 1 million in the state (11%).

by Anonymousreply 427January 6, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote] Atlanta desperately wants to be considered a world class city

Yeah, good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 428January 6, 2022 3:35 AM

L.A. proved too much for man.... So he's leaving life he came to know...

He's leaving, on that midnight train to Georgia.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 6, 2022 3:54 AM

Please tell me you're going to live in Atlanta or Athens. And no where else.

by Anonymousreply 430January 6, 2022 4:39 AM

I meant to say "there are almost 800,000 foreign immigrants in the METRO"

by Anonymousreply 431January 6, 2022 9:58 AM

One advantage Atlanta has is its CHEAP to live.

by Anonymousreply 432January 6, 2022 1:31 PM

Cheaper maybe, but certainly not cheap in any stretch of the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 433January 6, 2022 2:08 PM

It depends on what you are used to r433. Compared to say NY, LA, SF then Atlanta is cheap

by Anonymousreply 434January 6, 2022 2:55 PM

R434 Actually SF is cheap as long as you don't shoplift over 1K worth of goods.

by Anonymousreply 435January 6, 2022 10:14 PM

R435 šŸ˜šŸ‘

by Anonymousreply 436January 6, 2022 10:27 PM

R434 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 437January 6, 2022 11:42 PM

Here is helpful to you information on visas for Republic of Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438January 7, 2022 12:27 AM

I still think brits are out of place in the state of Georgia. They're just so out of place and seem so foriegn to the south. I feel like, brits are to see the south in movies, but they don't actually go to the south.

I've always felt like LA and NYC is more their speed as far as where they go in America. I guess they're just curious about the south and wanna witness the stereotypes they've seen in movies about the south for themselves. I remember two brits getting killed in Miami for leaving the vacation parts of the city and going into parts of the city they shouldn't have for whatever reason. This is why foreigners should be careful when they come to other countries. The two guys knew nothing about Miami and should've stayed in the vacation tourist parts of town. Just one of the many reasons I think it's so strange to see brits and other Europeans in the south. They're just so out of place here.

It's just not natural for them to be here. Just my feelings and opinion on the topic.

by Anonymousreply 439January 7, 2022 12:45 AM

R336 Maximum Absorbency Depends were just made for grannies like you

by Anonymousreply 440January 7, 2022 1:26 AM

R439 has stated her boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 441January 7, 2022 1:37 AM

R439 pardon me but you sound like one of the most provincial people ever. You certainly don't seem well traveled.

by Anonymousreply 442January 7, 2022 1:40 AM

[QUOTE] I still think brits are out of place in the state of Georgia. They're just so out of place and seem so foriegn to the south. I feel like, brits are to see the south in movies, but they don't actually go to the south.

Errrrr...weren't they the ones that *populated* the south? That those people in south are descended from? Or at least "Scots Irish" did...close enough.

by Anonymousreply 443January 7, 2022 1:41 AM

[QUOTE] I imagine the company has been forced to clear things up.

No, the place just started to smell better once you moved away R416.

by Anonymousreply 444January 7, 2022 1:46 AM

Mouthy middle school girl on her period alert at R416!!

by Anonymousreply 445January 7, 2022 1:50 AM

My sister lives near Krog Street Market and we go for walks then get croissants from Little Tart. OMG! So good!

by Anonymousreply 446January 7, 2022 1:59 AM

Don't you mean your sister *is* a little tart?

by Anonymousreply 447January 7, 2022 2:05 AM

LOL! No. If you saw my sister you'd realize how hilarious that concept is. R447, I'm telling you, in this instance, that you have not lived until you taste their chocolate pistachio croissants. These are the most flaky, buttery, gorgeous decadent croissants in the world. Incredible. Little Tart.

by Anonymousreply 448January 7, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote] I'm telling you, in this instance, that you have not lived until you taste their chocolate pistachio croissants. These are the most flaky, buttery, gorgeous decadent croissants in the world. Incredible. Little Tart.

šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

by Anonymousreply 449January 7, 2022 2:01 PM

I moved to the Atlanta metro area in 2019. Here's what I've found so far. Good food and places to shop for said. Dekalb County Farmers Market for one.

MARTA is like any other public transit system. But when it works, it works, when it doesn't you're screwed.

And the men - dear non existent deity the men here are gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 450January 7, 2022 2:54 PM

Atlanta has one of the ugliest downtowns on the country.

by Anonymousreply 451January 7, 2022 3:00 PM

R451 "On the country"

I had no idea Melania Trump frequented DL?

Girl, how's your hoeing post white house going?

by Anonymousreply 452January 7, 2022 3:21 PM

R439 it would probably shock you to know there is European Royalty in the North Georgia mountains. On property that was once the home of Englishman Godfrey Barnsley who came to Georgia in 1824 and married a Savannah girl. He built her a beautiful estate in the N. Ga. mountains. In 1906 the property was seriously damaged by a tornado and the main house was left abandoned until the late 1980s when Prince Hubertus Fugger Babenhausen of Germany came to Georgia and bought the property, because he said it reminded him of his home in Germany, and 1300 additional acres, and restored the ruins of the estate and made Barnsley Gardens his home and eventually a large resort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453January 7, 2022 3:24 PM

Brits and Aussies FLOCK to the Mississippi Delta and to New Orleans. Can't get enough of the birthplace of the blues and jazz.

by Anonymousreply 454January 7, 2022 3:30 PM

R453 I didn't know that. Why do so many Europeans want to come to the south? Is Europe not big enough for them? Seriously.

Why not go to Montana or Mississippi or Idaho or anywhere in fly over country? Why to Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 455January 7, 2022 3:32 PM

If you've ever been to the UK you'd be very surprised how much the countryside of north Georgia resembles a lot of the countryside of the UK. On my first trip to England as an adult, driving around I was very surprised how much I felt like I was driving around in the north Georgia hills. Many Brits and others on the continent who don't care for city life like the lifestyle of the more rural areas of the southern US. Plus their attitudes haven't been tainted by American anti-southern stupidity from those who hate that so many people are leaving their areas and moving south.

by Anonymousreply 456January 7, 2022 3:54 PM

R451 speaks the truth. Ugly and dreary. Even Cincinnati is better.

by Anonymousreply 457January 7, 2022 4:29 PM

R457 What's there to do in Cincinnati?

by Anonymousreply 458January 7, 2022 4:48 PM

I want the brits to stay the hell out of the south. Especially Georgia. It's bad enough that we have a Brit running coca cola in Atlanta. Not to long a ago I was walking around downtown savannah and heard a British couple walk past me and heard their accents. I remember thinking, what the fuck are they doing here in savannah?

by Anonymousreply 459January 7, 2022 4:50 PM

Most of downtown Atlanta is almost strictly for office workers. it empties out at night because there's not that much to do. The action is farther uptown in Midtown and Buckhead.

by Anonymousreply 460January 7, 2022 4:51 PM

You sound so lovely and welcoming R459. You sound like you'd be happier in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 461January 7, 2022 4:53 PM

And get off my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 462January 7, 2022 5:01 PM

I welcome you and please register to vote so we can elect Stacey and make that Kemp jerk go away.

by Anonymousreply 463January 7, 2022 8:32 PM

Yes!!!Please come and register to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 464January 7, 2022 9:47 PM

R461 and R462 I am a welcoming person. I'm also 33. It's just weird seeing and hearing brits in the south. I'm just always wondering why they're here?

There's nothing wrong with that.

And yes. We need to elect Stacy Abrams and elect Raphael Warnock to a full six year term.

by Anonymousreply 465January 8, 2022 2:46 PM

I'm the film person upthread who has worked in Atl, and I sent donations to her campaign during the election. She's a force of nature and thank the gods for that.

by Anonymousreply 466January 8, 2022 8:30 PM

R162 is probably teh sort who stays indoors all yeas regardless. If you live in Minnesota, you often learn to cross-country ski, snowshoe, skate, etc. and learn to save winter for things that you can enjoy indoors. I grew-up in the snowbelt and frankly liked all the variation. R162 sounds like someone without imagination which would make him perfect for ATL, land of the incurious. If people have to bore you with weather reports (while ignoring stuff like the mosquitos and humidity), it usually means they are either living in a cultural wasteland (Florida! Georgia!) or they are just as miserable as ever (southern California!). I've made many trips to LA and SD and used to work in SE Asia (land of fat depressed old Germans) and initially was struck with all the depressed looking people until I realized that people relocate because they imagine that sunshine will lift their mood, and it doesn't. Even NYers seem more cheery than the glum zombies you see walking around Santa Monica, Pasadena or Hillcrest.

by Anonymousreply 467January 9, 2022 12:52 PM

R452, relax Boris. It was a typo. Paranoid much?

by Anonymousreply 468January 9, 2022 12:56 PM

Georgia has gone to shit.

by Anonymousreply 469January 9, 2022 1:09 PM

[quote] Even NYers seem more cheery than the glum zombies you see walking around Santa Monica, Pasadena or Hillcrest.

As a former NYer and Angeleno, your experience is the exact OPPOSITE of mine.

The NYers (while lovely), were glum trudging through rain, sleet and snow.

The SoCalers, conversely, were a happy bunch playing in the sunshine and moderate temps.

by Anonymousreply 470January 9, 2022 5:17 PM

New Yorkers are wound tight!

by Anonymousreply 471January 10, 2022 6:44 PM

You know what? Don't come here. really. Go ahead and keep promoting you too, too sophisticated NYC/LA fantasies where you go to trendy clubs and shows and restaurants, WTF ever, and leave us be. We live well. I actually have my own personal washer and Dryer in my condo. I have a concierge, and a fitness center and a pool (out doors.) I play tennis and golf, and people here are quite literate, inventive, and we have some outstanding restaurants local, not franchises, etc. So we're good. And I love that we can get in the car and be at the ocean in about 3-4 hours or the mountains. I love it here.

by Anonymousreply 472January 11, 2022 1:06 AM

^^^^ R472 loves sweltering humidity.

Good for you.

Thankfully there are folks who live in places others of us have no interest in whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 473January 11, 2022 3:30 AM

NYC is back to normal and just had its most disastrous fire in 30 years following a year that had the highest number fire fatalities in 27 years. 2021 was another banner year with the highest number of vehicular fatalities since Lurch took office as well as the highest number of homicides in 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 474January 11, 2022 3:35 AM

R472 here. Forgot to mention that I also have free secure parking and more than 40 acres of gardens and nature to wander around in unbothered.

by Anonymousreply 475January 11, 2022 6:59 PM

That must be fun in August.

by Anonymousreply 476January 12, 2022 1:45 AM

R470 just stay away from the beach due to a possible tsunami. They might become the newest disaster for CA.

by Anonymousreply 477January 15, 2022 3:56 PM

exNYer brandonjoseph is all over this thread. He can't get anyone to fuck his musty old bottom in the big cities. he has to pay poor whores in places like Florida and Georgia. so sad!

by Anonymousreply 478January 15, 2022 7:24 PM

[quote] exNYer brandonjoseph is all over this thread.

Is that who keeps boasting about having a washer/dryer in Atlanta?

Kinda thought it weird that someone would be hailing attributes (w/d, concierge, parking) when that all can be relatively ubiquitous throughout the US.

Seemed sad. But understand the need for one-upmanship for someone who left NYC for Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 479January 15, 2022 7:44 PM

R479 Yes. And I cannot even begin to fathom the vile sloppy state of miss brandonjoseph's anal hygiene in such muggy temps!

by Anonymousreply 480January 15, 2022 7:57 PM

Brandon....the purported straight guy who posted his dick pics from a zillion years ago on DL?

by Anonymousreply 481January 15, 2022 10:28 PM

R480 R481 a stalker!

by Anonymousreply 482January 15, 2022 10:30 PM

OP, did you move yet or did we scare you off?

by Anonymousreply 483January 16, 2022 2:35 AM

Opie is a fake! She lives in Mayberry RFD!

by Anonymousreply 484January 16, 2022 4:56 AM

I'm not that person, but I do welcome you to GA, Vote, please .

by Anonymousreply 485January 16, 2022 10:27 AM

[quote] That would be a no, at least south of the Fox Theater.

Wrong again, The Peachtree Center area is certainly safe at night and there's almost always loads of people around there with the major hotels all conglomerated in just a couple of blocks and various restaurants.

IMO anything south of Five Points is sketchy at night, but sine that area is mostly city/county/state government buildings there's little to no reason for anyone to be walking around that part of town at night.

by Anonymousreply 486January 16, 2022 1:52 PM

R480 is that what you spend you days and nights thinking about

by Anonymousreply 487February 7, 2022 4:30 PM

R478 wrong as always. I don't live in the South. You should know there are many places to live besides Florida, Georgia and NY

by Anonymousreply 488February 7, 2022 4:32 PM

R476 like the northeast which can be sweltering in August many go on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 489February 7, 2022 4:38 PM

Since I live here can I just say East Atlanta Village and Grant Park are lovely. Krog Street Market is a great walk. And the neighborhoods around the Atlanta Zoo all have newer condo developments in the past 5-10 years, and beautifully restored homes. We go walking in the area and on the Beltline all the time.

by Anonymousreply 490February 7, 2022 5:10 PM

Look at the maps where shootings and Covid outbreaks take place in Chicago. It's not the entire city. Compartmentalized crime and disease are nothing to brag about, but the city is not a war zone. If you're happy living in a red state, fine. I thought Buckhead was glorious the times I visited it.

by Anonymousreply 491February 7, 2022 5:12 PM

R491 But parts of it are. Hence the term war ZONE

by Anonymousreply 492February 7, 2022 5:21 PM

To be surprised when a new friend you thought you knew fairly well turns out to have some odd ideas about dinosaurs and maybe thinks Obama is the anti-Christ.

by Anonymousreply 493February 7, 2022 5:27 PM

R493 did they think Michelle was a dinosaur? I think I know that person.

by Anonymousreply 494February 7, 2022 5:30 PM

I forgot to mention Inman Park and Candler Park. Lots of great restoration work being done, great little neighborhood restaurants.

Lots of Farmers' markets, lots of festivals. In April there's the Inman Park neighborhood festival and homes tour, , then there's the Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park, The Art festival is at Piedmont in August. and there are concerts and festivals all over the place all the way thru to November.

by Anonymousreply 495February 7, 2022 6:40 PM

[quote]What should we be expecting?

Despair over the direction your lives have taken.

by Anonymousreply 496February 7, 2022 6:44 PM

[QUOTE] IMO anything south of Five Points is sketchy at night, but sine that area is mostly city/county/state government buildings there's little to no reason for anyone to be walking around that part of town at night.

Well, people do go there for sex hookups.

by Anonymousreply 497February 7, 2022 11:37 PM

Two words. Waffle House.

by Anonymousreply 498February 7, 2022 11:47 PM

At least you will be spared interacting with these fine Georgian men....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499February 8, 2022 3:40 AM

GA is beautiful, Atlanta is better. Do a rental home for a year in the Grant Park area and then sniff out where you want to buy.

by Anonymousreply 500February 8, 2022 7:48 AM

Don't make jokes about Waffle House. They're precious.

by Anonymousreply 501February 8, 2022 8:28 AM

They're dangerous. Every other day there's a shooting or some brawl at one of them.

by Anonymousreply 502February 8, 2022 12:25 PM

Ah've nevah bin to a Waffle Haus. We go to the Flyin Biscuit. Ah measure my attendance by two things. Do they have good bacon? Do they have good coffee? I mean anybody can make biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 503February 8, 2022 1:39 PM

I've been to waffle haus but i've nevah been ta me.

by Anonymousreply 504February 8, 2022 1:47 PM

Flying Biscuit is for proper breakfast or brunch. Waffle House is for post bar or clubbing meals.

by Anonymousreply 505February 8, 2022 1:51 PM

When you eat that waffle house stuff at 3 am, drunk, doesn't that give you nasty shits the next morning?

by Anonymousreply 506February 8, 2022 1:52 PM

I've never had a problem, r506.

by Anonymousreply 507February 8, 2022 1:59 PM

There are three Waffle Houses near me and never a problem. They mostly cater to hourly workers who get up really early during the week. And the high school kids who stop in after school. They have such a limited menu I mean, this is not an IHOP.

by Anonymousreply 508February 8, 2022 5:54 PM

Oh yea, Atlanta. Great place to raise a family. Super safe.

by Anonymousreply 509February 9, 2022 12:17 AM

Georgia on the coast, so we're much better than those other inland southern shithole states. Glad I'm glfrom Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 510February 9, 2022 12:26 AM

Let's clear something up. Amaud was murdered in Satilla Shores across from Brunswick. It is a coastal area right near Jekyl Island. It is about 300 miles south of Atlanta. And I guarantfuckingtee you the developers and people with an interest were embarrassed and mortified that those fat nasty rednecks acted out and jumped in a pickup and an the young man down and shot him. That kind of behavior is no longer condoned and the Judge and jury made sure that message was sent. The good old boy (and girl ) network that hides those crimes and lies as did the first prosecutor, aren't going to sit long as prosecutors. They are still racist pigs, but they are real image conscious, and that image of the old south is one they do not need to recall, because the real estate developers and commercial tourist shit is far more lucrative. Those there were too dumb to live so they're getting life in prison.. and Georgia isn't a place you want to go to prison.

by Anonymousreply 511February 9, 2022 3:12 AM

I'm high as a Georgia pine.

by Anonymousreply 512February 14, 2022 10:40 PM

We are glad you got that sorted for us R511.

by Anonymousreply 513February 14, 2022 10:41 PM

R511 I wouldn't want to go to prison anywhere especially the aptly named Rahway NJ State Prison.

by Anonymousreply 514February 14, 2022 10:46 PM

When you cross the California state line, you are required to pull over and provide a fecal sample. I recommend that you prepare your sample in advance so you can hand it over and then get back on the road. It is very awkward when you are forced to provide it while the deputy watches.

by Anonymousreply 515February 14, 2022 10:57 PM

News on CNN just announced that California is having its worst drought in more than 1,000 years. And BTW, Georgia is having "drought conditions" with weather service announcements of high winds and High fire danger in north and central GA. Atlanta is Central GA. We're all gonna die, so go where you happiest. I'm getting some winter boots. Sturdy ones, and a nice warm coat, a few sweaters, and heading north. I'm talking Montreal....or Norway..

by Anonymousreply 516February 14, 2022 11:42 PM

I would go up to Ga if they had at least the same weed laws as we do in Fl. Not as good as NY but better than any other southern state

by Anonymousreply 517February 15, 2022 1:42 PM

One day, sooner than we expect. All of Georgia will be the coastline of America, and Florida will be a memory.

by Anonymousreply 518February 15, 2022 3:45 PM

R517 weed is not legal in NY

by Anonymousreply 519February 15, 2022 3:46 PM

Tears.

by Anonymousreply 520February 15, 2022 3:49 PM

You're moving to Georgia? Go! Go ahead and GO! WTF. You think Cali will mourn your loss? You think we give a fuck? Just make fucking sure you register to vote. VOTE BLUE!

by Anonymousreply 521February 15, 2022 4:28 PM

R251 sounds like a grounded, happy Californian

by Anonymousreply 522February 15, 2022 5:23 PM

R521 People can and do move. Why take it so personally?

by Anonymousreply 523February 15, 2022 5:25 PM

r519 it most certainly is legal in NY. It's illegal to sell it but you can have quite a few ounces of it for personal use

by Anonymousreply 524February 26, 2022 12:28 PM

Why are Florida weed laws so good?

by Anonymousreply 525February 26, 2022 2:52 PM

R525 The weed you get from the "medical" dispensaries in Fl is awesome. Considering is really is a red state, all you need is to tell your "marijuana" Dr you're anxious or what ever and you get the card. You have access to some excellent weed in all different forms

Of course we can't compare it to the states where it legal for for the south, it's a good deal, better than any other southern state,

by Anonymousreply 526February 26, 2022 8:03 PM

Agree with above and in FL they will deliver weed to your doorstep. But Fl is an outlier, I am now spending time in Asheville, NC and there is no legal weed nor legal medical MJ

by Anonymousreply 527February 26, 2022 8:10 PM

New York legalized weed like a month after New Jersey did r519.

by Anonymousreply 528February 26, 2022 9:11 PM

So, did OP move and if so, where in Ga?...not backtracking to see if already answered

by Anonymousreply 529March 2, 2022 7:26 PM

We bought a zoo!

by Anonymousreply 530March 2, 2022 7:28 PM

Medical weed is a big rip off. You have to pay fees each year for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 531March 3, 2022 7:42 AM

[quote]My husband got a new job. What should we be expecting?

Oh honey, your bussies will so sore...

by Anonymousreply 532March 3, 2022 7:50 AM

You will get a burning cross on the lawn.

by Anonymousreply 533March 3, 2022 7:52 AM

[quote]Agree with above and in FL they will deliver weed to your doorstep. But Fl is an outlier, I am now spending time in Asheville, NC and there is no legal weed nor legal medical MJ

Honey, why don't you just send your maid to state that sells it and have her bring it back?

by Anonymousreply 534March 3, 2022 7:52 AM

Just make room in your fridge for the casseroles...

(and you can pretty much heat them all up at 350Ā° for 30-45 minutes, no matter what they tell you)

Southerners love to bring you food!

by Anonymousreply 535March 3, 2022 8:49 AM

Vote for Stacey Abrams for Governor.

by Anonymousreply 536March 4, 2022 1:45 AM

Stacey and Rev. Warnock! He's been an excellent Senator.

by Anonymousreply 537March 4, 2022 2:42 AM

Yes, Senator Warnock is excellent. A long time civil rights leader and a Reverend in Martin Luther King Jr's Church. We are honored to have him as a US Senator.

by Anonymousreply 538March 4, 2022 2:44 AM

Oppressively humid summer days. I went to Atlanta in August and no one was on the streets. I just stood in an air conditioned building, looking out, at the stillness in the city. I liken it to another summer day, driving through Needles, Calif., when I was afraid my tires would melt. Yes, it's that kind of heat.

by Anonymousreply 539March 4, 2022 5:32 AM

R539 sounds like your brain melted, Gran!

by Anonymousreply 540March 5, 2022 12:27 AM

You can vote for Stacey Abrams for Governor. This is your purpose. It is all for a noble reason.

by Anonymousreply 541March 5, 2022 12:55 AM

They call it Hotlanta for good reason. It's hotter than hell in the summer. You'll pray for death , if your neighbors don't get you first.

by Anonymousreply 542March 6, 2022 4:37 AM

[quote] Set your watches back about 150 years.

Just how bad is it?

by Anonymousreply 543March 19, 2023 6:03 PM

R80 California is not LA.

by Anonymousreply 544March 19, 2023 6:57 PM

Iā€™ve been from Georgia to California, but Iā€™ve never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 545March 20, 2023 8:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!