Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm sick of those Shriner's commercials with the little crippled boys shilling teddy bear blankets!

I get the need to have a year-end appeal, but can any of you imagine the staggering amounts of money it takes to produce and run national ad campaigns at this level? They churn out those commercials and run them with the frequency of a fevered early November presidential campaign. If they didn't have the expense of such a massive, major ad campaign, would they need all this money they're asking for? Also, the little boy with the squinty eyes now looks like a 40-year-old midget, while the little bitty cute boy's squeaky voice is like nails on a chalkboard. He's almost TOO good at it to be a sick child. And the other children, singing the melancholy Christmas song is cringe-worthy. Shame on Shriner's Hospital!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2021 4:49 PM

100% agreed!

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2021 7:34 PM

Well if it makes you feel better they probably won't live to be too old.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2021 7:36 PM

I hate those commercials. I know they should simply generate sympathy but I am always annoyed by the ways the boys speak “adowable” and the faux banter between the two brittle boned boys. It all feels super manipulative. And I work in human services ffs.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2021 7:37 PM

Try giving $50 to Doctors Without Borders. You will get weekly mailers from them FOREVER, with the postage paid far eclipsing the $50 you spent...

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2021 7:38 PM

[R3], not to mention the subliminal shit they stick into the commercial.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2021 8:51 PM

We had some amazing threads about them the last couple of years. Most people here were sympathetic, perhaps surprisingly so, and the conversation was largely affectionate…believe it or not!

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2021 9:38 PM

Fuck you OP!

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2021 9:42 PM

Kaweb

Adowable

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2021 4:11 AM

Alec and Caleb are the modern Margo Channing and Eve Harrington: the established hard-as-nails star fighting off his younger competition!

"Your bones are too brittle for that gesture, Kaleb."

"You can always put that adowable bwanket where your heart ought to be, Alec."

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2021 4:13 AM

There's always someone younger and hungrier coming down the stairs after you.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2021 4:48 AM

You are a vile human being, OP. Please die soon.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2021 6:23 AM

Every time I see these or St. Jude’s commercials, my eyes start to well up. Right outside of my old office room, which was next to the copy room, the first thing you’d see when you open the door is a St. Jude’s calendar. Children having cancer/disease is the absolute worst.

If these ads really get to you that much, change the damn channel.

My only issue with the Shriner’s ads is one actor (from several years back), I suspected was far older than the age he was trying to portray, he sounded like a Cagney-ish character from the 1930s or something.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2021 6:38 AM

If Shriners spent more on the ads than they brought in, they would have discontinued the campaign years ago. Clearly they work.

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2021 7:01 AM

These kids are as annoying as those Kars for Kids kids.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2021 7:04 AM

Shriners look creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2021 7:34 AM

[quote]There's always someone younger and hungrier coming down the stairs after you.

You rang?

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2021 7:48 AM

I'd like to see a death match between the Shriners kids and the 1-800-Kars for Kids monsters..

(For the record? I'd be rooting for the Shriners.)

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2021 8:00 AM

Shriners kids vs Kars for Kids! That is very funny! And I agree - I hope that Caleb and Alec and co wallop those twee little Kars for Kids!!!

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2021 8:17 AM

I'm surprised Kars for Kids is back. I thought they had a scandal that took them out.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2021 8:30 AM

I know it's almost Christmas when I hear Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" playing in every retail establishment I enter, when I embrace my fat whore ways for a few days without feeling guilty, when the Hallmark Channel runs the same movie (changing only characters' names) 3,402 times, and ...

... when there's a thread on DL about the Shriners commercials.

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2021 8:36 AM

Shut the fuck up, Marlo(OP). Shriners is doing something right with their show biz babies lineup of optimistic go-getters, as opposed to those sad sack , slow motion sufferers in the St. Jude ward. Have you even TRIED to put tap shoes on those children?

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2021 8:55 AM

And how much did you contribute OP so they won't need to run commercials?

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2021 10:28 AM

Adowable!

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2021 4:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!