Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MA WALTON IS ONE LOW CLASS BROAD AND HYPOCRITE

IN THE WALTON CHRISTMAS MOVIE, MA WALTON BRUSHES OFF JOHN BOY'S QUESTION ABOUT THE STOLEN TURKEY SHE WAS GIVEN. JUST A FEW MINUTES EARLIER SHE WAS HIGH AND MIGHTY ABOUT NOT BUYING A GIFT ON CREDIT. WHAT A BITCH! TOO GOOD FOR LAY A WAY, BUT NOT TOO GOOD TO RECEIVE STOLEN GOODS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2023 11:21 PM

You’d be all over the place too if you had to live with your screwy in-laws. Grandma criticizes everything! The old bitch can’t let anything go. Criticizes my biscuits, criticizes the way I wash the floor. And the old people stink coming off of her. Whew!

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2021 11:15 AM

Yeah but she had a hot snatch.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2021 11:25 AM

Only the Tiara Troll can rescue this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2021 11:27 AM

My favorite line from Mrs. Walton (Patricia Neal) was when John Boy was up late at night reading by candlelight with the door closed and locked. She said "John Boy, what are you doin' in there behind locked doors?". I so wanted him to say "I'm fisting my hard cock you nosy old bitch so leave me the fuck alone so I can get a nut".

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2021 11:31 AM

I watch this movie ("The Waltons: The Homecoming", 1971) every Christmas Day and have been doing so for 20 years.

I adore this movie and this is why I watch it only on December 25th.

I had the VHS for so long and I was thrilled when it finally came out on DVD!!

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2021 11:45 AM

R5 - None of that is necessary. The entire movie has been on YouTube for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2021 12:21 PM

AND THIS YEAR IT IS STILL TRUE!

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 11:35 PM

Never trust Mellie Grant.

We got your number, hussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 11:37 PM

They aren't that smart. The Dukes of Hazzard beat them in Family Fued.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 11:41 PM

DL has a Ma Walton troll?

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 11:47 PM

You just know she sent John-Boy out into the night so that she could read his diary uninterrupted.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2022 12:01 AM

After we saw this movie on TV my mom somehow found those Indian writing pads that John Boy's mom gave him and she gave me some for Christmas. I loved that.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2022 12:46 AM

God bless you mom R12

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2022 1:15 AM

Meh, she let her children believe animals could talk. There were no social services or child welfare in those days.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2022 1:46 AM

*your

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2022 1:47 AM

As a kid I remember thinking Patricia Neal's Ma Walton was mean and violent. I was terrified of her in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2022 1:54 AM

r16, Me too, she seemed like a boozer and smoker, and just plain mean.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2022 2:33 AM

I think I read CBS's original plan for the Waltons TV series was to star Patricia Neal and Henry Fonda But seeing as Fonda was only 3 years younger than Will Geer, and was six years older than Ellen Corby, that probably wouldn't have worked...

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2022 7:32 AM

Momma and Grandma would fight over the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2022 8:06 AM

Patricia Neal’s version of Olivia was a mean nasty old bitch. Couldn’t stand her. And that Gramma was always a nosy old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2022 8:14 AM

Both Grandpa and Grandma Walton kind of grossed me out. He was a lecher and she was a crank.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2022 9:00 AM

I always read John Boy as gay.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 10:18 AM

The original TV movie was kinda dark overall. I was worried Ma Walton was gonna fuck John Man in front of everybody. He seemed to be the only thing that made her happen and when that mannish jaw cracked a smile sitting next to him, I was sure it was on.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 1:46 PM

Ma Walton as portrayed by Miss Patricia Neal was a fierce, dangerous scorpion with a paradoxical lust at war with her overall Christian crusader viciousness. Ma Walton as portrayed by Miss Michael Learned was a more Xanaxed, Hallmarky Ma that was more digestible week over week.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2022 1:46 PM

Grandma Walton was nasty & miserable.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2022 1:47 PM

Ma Walton as played by Miss Michael Learned found her way to Godsey’s Grocery and bought herself a bottle of peroxide.

And in the first season or two of the tv show, they had Learned play the character in the Neal style, being mean to the children. Eventually, they did soften her up.

I always wondered if 1970s tv drama was trying to indicate hardship = meanness or if they were trying to copy the gritty feel of 1970s movies. Because Caroline Ingalls over on Little House wasn’t always a joy either.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2022 2:05 PM

[quote] I think I read CBS's original plan for the Waltons TV series was to star Patricia Neal and Henry Fonda

They wanted Henry Fonda because The Homecoming and The Waltons are both continuations of the movie Spencer’s Mountain which starred Henry Fonda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2022 2:12 PM

Every time I tried to watch that show I broke out in hives.

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2022 4:08 PM

It's interesting, what age are you guys who think Olivia Walton was "mean"? When the TV special, and the hugely popular show, came out in the 70s, I think she reminded us of our moms. Not in every way, but I think she was just kind of upright and beleived in structure and discipline, and wasn't a sloppy, overemotional nutcase. She had morals and standards, and did her job, but you still knew she and John got int on in a big way, and not just to make all those kids.

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2022 4:10 PM

I remember this quote from an old thread of the movie which made me laugh:

[quote] "Grandma was a narrow minded bitch, so provincial and self-righteous. I wish John Boy had thrown her and her rocking chair off the front porch."

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2022 6:48 PM

I wish ssomeone had thrown John Boy and that mole off the front porch. Atthe time I didn't really notice but Richard Thomas could be insufferable in that role.

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2022 7:09 PM

R22 = BILL TAYLOR

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2022 7:13 PM

R31 my brother, sister and I hated John-Boy when our mum put The Waltons on every Sunday morning (our version of church). He was a smug, superior ass-kisser.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 7:19 PM

Stop yelling, OP.

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2022 7:23 PM

R33 Back in the day I think (?) it was on Thursday nights and most of the kids in my high school watched it and a lot of the girls liked Richard Thomas. I thought at the time he was a great actor, how could they have discovered such an amazing young actor for this TV show? I don't remember his age, but we usually didn't know anyone's age on TV and we probably thought he was a teenager. Anyhow, that's funny. At some point when I watched the show later I just thought Thomas was so smug and humorless.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2022 7:37 PM

I think RUTH TAYLOR (OP) drank a little too much of the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2022 7:42 PM

R35 I guess because our mum thought he was such a good boy and someone we should be more like, made us dislike him even more. And that the adults couldn't see through him! Lol

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2022 7:50 PM

Ruth is obviously still pissed off that John Boy bought Ma a washing machine, and all Bill has ever given her is a hernia.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 7:59 PM

I love that movie. I love it when Mama is screaming at him, thinking he had liquor and he says "Mama its eggnog" BAM BOYA! He got her! But, I remember as a kid being so relieved when Daddy finally got home.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 8:15 PM

Olivia is meant to be mid-30s at most, John Boy is 15 here and she and John married not long after high school

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 8:43 PM

As a kid a kid I was traumatized by the doll.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 9:05 PM

She’s a high ridin’ bitch.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2022 4:42 AM

So I rewatched it last night and she wasn't that bad. It was Neal's delivery, she could just sound kind of menacing to a child, but to a now not child, she was just a strong woman who actually was very kind. Though the subtext about John Boy having a wank was a bit protracted.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote] Though the subtext about John Boy having a wank was a bit protracted.

Was that really the intended subtext, or are you just projecting?

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2022 2:01 PM

His deeply Baptist mother kept drilling him at length on what he was doing upstairs in his room alone with the door locked? WTF do you think, Rose?

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2022 2:19 PM

The one time John Boy forgot to lock the door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2022 2:21 PM

R45 I don't know, fuckface, I haven't seen it since 1971. That's why I was asking. Thanks for your kind reply.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2022 2:38 PM

PS -- I. e. I don't remember the scene at all.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2022 2:39 PM

R47, the thing about being a dick is you also need to be a good liar when you get caught out and try to change tack. No one levelling the accusation of projecting was just "asking." But thanks for your general transparency.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2022 2:54 PM

It was pretty obvious they were hinting at Olivia being worried that John Boy was masturbating. She was a self-righteous Southern Baptist. Touching yourself was probably in her mind a one-way ticket to hell. And sex to those types was something you only did if you were married, and she no doubt threw masturbation in as sex in her mind. Obviously she and John liked to bone or they wouldn't have had so many damn kids.

I always preferred Neal's take on Oliva to Michael Leaned's colder portrayal. Neal did come across as an uptight Baptist who was dealing with the Depression and poverty with a whole gaggle of kids to take care of, not to mention she thought her husband may have been injured or even killed in a bus crash. But she had some sweet scenes with Elizabeth and Mary Ellen, and even John Boy. Michael Learned's take on Olivia always seemed so cold.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2022 3:04 PM

RUTH, while you’re huffing airplane glue, I’m going off thread. Yes, I’m an asshole, you can click “ignore”.

In theory, these are my people. Same geographic locations for both sides of the family.

Hill folk (means “Non-drinking baptists in a dry county” amongst the poor) women were supposed to be strict and mean. They were stewards of children that belonged to God. They were accountable for any child’s moral deficiencies they failed to address. They were also allowed to be psychotic monsters with free reign.

The idiot who wrote “Hillbilly Elegy” managed to capture some of the Depression era woman I recognize in the representation of his Grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2022 3:18 PM

R49 Haha, so now I was a "levelling the charge" of projecting? Are you a lawyer?

It seemed weird to me that in a 1971 TV show they would have a scene suggesting a kid was masturbating in the bathroom. I don't remember things like that on TV at the time. I was 13. I do remember TV back then. Network "standards and practices". And worried sponsors.

That Certain Summer, about a kid with a gay father, was considered revolutionary, for example - and didn't come out until '72. And it was as mild as could be. They even had to add a speech about how the dad wouldn't be gay if he had a choice.

So my question was along the lines of, are you projecting 2022 perceptions onto a show from 1971. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I just wondered.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2022 3:49 PM

R49 Also I should say the scene could have gone right over my head at age 13, and probably did. As I said, I may be wrong, I won't know unless I re-watch the show. But I don't get why you're calling me a dick, and all the rest of it. Did I insult you that much?

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2022 4:08 PM

RUTH TAYLOR used to baby sit grandpa Walton in her retirement.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2022 4:30 PM

[quote] It seemed weird to me that in a 1971 TV show they would have a scene suggesting a kid was masturbating in the bathroom.

He was in his bedroom when confronted.

It’s a poorly written scene because the mother says something like, “John-Boy, are you smoking cigarettes in there?”

First off, she’d be able to smell smoke if he was. Second, if he was trying to smoke, there are plenty of woods behind the house where he could go do it in peace.

I was a kid when this was first broadcast and even then, I knew that in a small house with a lot of people, on Christmas Eve no less, you wouldn’t be doing anything your strict mother might find out about.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2022 6:35 PM

He was having a wank and she knew it. She should have told him to wash his wickedness in the snow

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2022 6:40 PM

I’m surprised nobody had this show banned. White people having to beg black people for help? Wouldn’t fly today. Black people coming in the parlor of old, rich white ladies? Wouldn’t have happened back then.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2022 6:44 PM

R55 Yeah, I meant to write the bedroom. Must have been remembering something...

The two actresses who played the Baldwin sisters...Dorothy Stickney (the original Mother in Life With Father - the title role played by her husband, the co-writer, Howard Lindsay) and Josephine Hutchinson (a stage and screen leading lady who became a character actress)...they were both recast in the TV series. I think these two are better actresses. I'm not sure who's a better grandpa - Edgar Bergen (the ventriloquist - father of Candice) or Will Geer. Edgar and Ellen Corby had acted together previously, in the film, I Remember Mama - as middle aged lovebirds Mr. Thorkelson and Aunt Trina.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote]I watch this movie ("The Waltons: The Homecoming", 1971) every Christmas Day and have been doing so for 20 years.

The Datalounge condoles you.

Have you considered discussing this with a professional?

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2022 9:13 PM

It was a real drama, not the sappy shit of the TV show. Though it never got as puke as Little House.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2022 9:17 PM

The TV show was great the first few seasons. There was no other family TV drama show like it. Also it was set in the Depression (at first) which made it unique. A lot of people were alive that remembered those times, even some people still in their 40s.

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2022 9:30 PM

Now the real twister: with all this John Boy masturbating talk, would these country-colonial, late 19th-century American boys be cut or uncut? Probably not, as from being born in the sticks. They gave birth in barns.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2022 9:59 PM

Scientologist Judy Norton (Mary Ellen) has her own YouTube channel where she discusses the show and occasionally has other cast members/crew members on.

by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2022 10:23 PM

R63 does she ever ask her cast mates if they ever masturbated over her playboy layout?

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2022 10:45 PM

Ignorant. Morally benighted. Religious freak. Sanctimonious. Control freak. Unhappy. Bored. Unfulfilled. Jealous. Pompous windbag. Resentful. Vindictive. Emotionally immature. In need of a goddamned makeover. Frump. Hypocrite. Manipulative. …and her pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2022 11:21 PM

R65, it was the Great Depression, she was stuck with no money, a judgmental mother-in-law, seven children, no social life, no beauty in her life.

No wonder she faked being sick so she could be sent to a sanatorium.

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2022 11:27 PM

She had that Christmas cactus!

by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2022 11:32 PM

[quote] She had that Christmas cactus!

While everyone else had a poinsettia.

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2022 11:39 PM

I'm now watching the episode and I have to say Richard Thomas in those days was pretty cute.

I like that Olivia has that red dress on because clothing in those days was colorful, and the Walton's TV series always had those Ralph Lauren-ish 70s drab browns, denim blues, and grays. It wasn't until I saw some color film on the Depression era that I realized even everyday clothes for women then were bright and colorful.

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2022 11:42 PM

At least she didn’t have a bad perm like the mother in A Christmas Story.

by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2022 11:51 PM

I really do not remember The Waltons except Elizabeth was UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2022 11:57 PM

I wonder how the wholesome Christian families who flocked to that show in the 70's would have reacted if they'd known Will Geer was a bisexual communist, and Ellen Corby was a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2022 11:59 PM

R72 you know they wouldn’t have cared.

by Anonymousreply 73December 5, 2022 12:06 AM

I wish that Richard Thomas would have had that mole removed. He would have gotten so many more roles if he did. I bet even Will Geer said to him "Get rid of that fucking ugly ass mole!".

by Anonymousreply 74December 5, 2022 8:39 AM

As a young child I got so confused trying to watch the Christmas movie because it has different actors than the show.

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2022 8:46 AM

Must have been harder to hide if you'd been masturbating back then as all clothes were handwashed.

The advent of the washing machine must have been a gift to wankers everywhere

by Anonymousreply 76December 5, 2022 8:59 AM

The TV remake (2016 or so) was unnecessary, but with much better looking men folk, especially John-Boy. Was craving a shirtless scene.

by Anonymousreply 77December 5, 2022 9:30 AM

I think it's weird how so many TV shows now have to have better looking people instead of better actors. It's like prime time has turned into soaps. Of course there are exceptions (like Stranger Things).

I was never aware that The Waltons was a particular favorite of Christian viewers vs. other viewers. It was a top rated show, that's all. There was never too much that was overtly religious about the show, even though they had a preacher character (John Ritter).

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2022 6:28 PM

They guy who played John-Man was perfectly cast. 0

by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2022 11:43 PM

I wish Elizabeth and John Boy had got sold to passing nomads.

We used to wonder why they were so poor if they owned the mountain!

by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2022 8:02 AM

RUTH TAYLOR, are you BILL TAYLOR with a few...um...'alterations'?

by Anonymousreply 81December 6, 2022 9:58 AM

all i know is Judy Norton was Mary Ellen Walton!!!

by Anonymousreply 82December 6, 2022 12:31 PM

R80 Look up the Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 83December 7, 2022 1:14 AM

Confession: I went to the Walton's Mountain Museum in Schuyler, Virginia, in 2021...and I loved it. Waltons creator Earl Hamner (the real-life John-Boy) also created Falcon Crest...and I went to that show's filming locations in Napa Valley and Sonoma last month! 😃👍🤗💋🍇🍷

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2022 1:35 AM

R84 I love wine country, esp. Sonoma.

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2022 2:04 AM

Isn’t this why they recast for the series? Too soften her up a tiny bit?

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2022 2:15 AM

Michael is another one who got the botox clown face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 7, 2022 2:34 AM

I remember when the TV movie aired. I made my opinions known about Johnboy (I have a birthmark like the idiot’s; mine has faded) and the Evil Mother. My folks defended Neil’s performance. They expected a wall-eyed woman gimping around, shitting on the floor, and flinging ropes of spit when she spoke.

I didn’t know her story.

by Anonymousreply 88December 7, 2022 6:23 AM

I rewatched this because of this thread. TWICE in the same day, the grandmother mentions John-Boy in his room with the door locked. How does she even know he’s locked the door? Why does she care? Why is she stirring up shit on Christmas Eve?

by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2022 11:40 AM

Gramma Walton wanted to diddle herself out in the barn, away from grampa.

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2022 11:49 AM

He promised, and I believed him. But sin never dies. Sin never dies. We know what's goin' on behind that locked door.

by Anonymousreply 91December 8, 2022 11:50 AM

Grandma was a just an overall shit stirrer on that show.

by Anonymousreply 92December 8, 2022 11:55 AM

Grandma Walton needed to drink more prune juice.

by Anonymousreply 93December 8, 2022 1:14 PM

Grandma Walton was a nasty old bitch. I wish she'd walked in on Olivia getting ridden by Ike Godsey's six-incher and keeled over

by Anonymousreply 94December 8, 2022 3:15 PM

I met Pat Neal once, it was just by accident, long story but anyway it was ten years later than this and she was gorgeous. I was suprised, never forgot my surprise because she didn't seem all that gorgeous (even when young) on TV or the movies. It made me realize how stunningly beautiful stars sometimes are in real life compared to other people. On screen they seem run of the mill because so many people on the screen are good looking. You take it for granted. A good looking person will play a 'plain' person, on screen, for example. They aren't.

by Anonymousreply 95December 8, 2022 4:53 PM

Like Stanwyck, r95, she had a stern beauty.

by Anonymousreply 96December 8, 2022 5:00 PM

Fun fact: At just over 21 minutes screen-time, Patricia still holds the record for shortest screen time for a Best Actress Oscar win

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2022 5:04 PM

R96 Nothing stern about her when I saw her, she had a big smile and was wearing a floor length fur coat.

by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2022 5:07 PM

(Ankle length. Was with her daughter, who also had one.)

by Anonymousreply 99December 8, 2022 5:08 PM

Stanwyck had a lovely smile as well, r98. It's about bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2022 5:14 PM

Did Patricia ever do nudity ?

by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2022 5:19 PM

She never discussed her Minsky's years, r101.

by Anonymousreply 102December 8, 2022 5:53 PM

Didn't she have a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 103December 8, 2022 7:38 PM

It's Wiki, but her life story is fascinating. She was quite beautiful when you, maturing into a Jane Wyman lookalike phase and then aging out. Still, cool story. She went through a lot. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. I don't know she had a good heart on the Garland scale, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood or if at a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs. Still, she went through a lot.

by Anonymousreply 104December 8, 2022 7:41 PM

And here's the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 8, 2022 7:42 PM

She had 3 cerebral aneurysms in 1965. She was pregnant at the time and was in a coma for 3 weeks. She recovered, with the help of her then-husband Roald Dahl (author of James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other books). She gave birth later that year. "The Homecoming" was made in 1971.

by Anonymousreply 106December 8, 2022 11:23 PM

Yeah, they made a TV movie about it with Glenda Jackson and Dirk Bogarde.

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2022 6:12 PM

But no one saw it. It needs an actress of stature and should be remade as soon as the industry is no longer consumed with shooting the triumphant new production of Sunset Boulevard, the Musical.

by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2022 6:32 PM

R108 You're 75 years old, Glenn. Pat Neal was 39 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 109December 9, 2022 8:59 PM

And Norma was 50! I can play anything! I'll never stop!

by Anonymousreply 110December 9, 2022 9:02 PM

Stop.

by Anonymousreply 111December 9, 2022 9:15 PM

We'll make another picture, and another picture!

by Anonymousreply 112December 9, 2022 9:16 PM

I love all the characters in "The Homecoming." Each one is a little son of a bitch in his or her own way. Even the bickering kids and the oddball supporting cast. Nothing sugar-coated or "Hallmark card" about it. It's worth watching again every couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 113December 10, 2022 12:42 AM

John-Boy has a very inconvenient scene with Mary Ellen about her bosoms, while milking a cow, no less. (I thought my family’s Christmas Eve conversation was awkward!)

Boy, does that scene seem awkward in light of JN-T flashing her dirty pillows in Playboy!

by Anonymousreply 114December 10, 2022 12:52 AM

Confession: I have the DVD collection of all six Waltons TV movies! The last Waltons movie, A Walton Easter, aired in 1997.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 10, 2022 2:32 AM

Did Gramma Walton ever masturbate?

by Anonymousreply 116December 10, 2022 3:47 AM

[quote] Did Gramma Walton ever masturbate?

Gramma Walton never even had sex. John-Man was found on the doorstep one day. Gramma said, “Leave it on the doorstep. I don’t have the energy to raise a bastard. Maybe a cayote will come and take him off.”

by Anonymousreply 117December 10, 2022 3:51 AM

The only time Grandma stroked, she literally stroked.

I mwah-ned t-t-t-talk lah-hah-hast eh pisode.

by Anonymousreply 118December 10, 2022 4:34 AM

OP, I haven't watched this is over 40 years, thank you for sharing. Lol I forgot how bitchy that grandma was, no wonder they was all in a depression. She soaked her panties instigating shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 10, 2022 6:02 AM

Roses in wintet!

by Anonymousreply 120December 10, 2022 10:48 AM

i had to watch some of this shit to see if it was real. that grandma was one mean-ass bitch. why have such a hateful cunt on a hit tv show? did she resonate with audiences or was she all that was available?

by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2022 11:22 AM

Everyone was hardcore in the 1970s cause they grew up during the Depression. That’s why this show was so popular,R121.

by Anonymousreply 122December 10, 2022 11:49 AM

Granny was one nasty old uptight bitch. You just know that she smelled - down there.

by Anonymousreply 123December 10, 2022 11:49 AM

R114 it's even more awkward when he tells her right after that's she's going to be as pretty as her momma. Poor Patricia Neal was no longer a pretty woman

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2022 12:35 PM

The actor playing the grandfather was far too stately to play a hill person

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2022 12:36 PM

One misfire in production is that there is a scene where Grandma is sitting at the table playing cards. Church ladies of that era would never have played cards because it symbolized gambling. You saw how much the mother freaked out about liquor. Well playing cards and drinking went together.

Unless Grandma was doing it just to piss Olivia off, then I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2022 12:45 PM

Esther was such a miserable sow

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2022 12:55 PM

R126 right. I’m not evangelical but grew up in that part of the South. There was one card game they could play but it used a unique deck of cards. I think they were larger than normal. I’m sure that was not the one in the scene. I can’t remember its name. And why that one game? Cause there is always a way to find an exception and still feel holier than others obviously.

Maybe someone remembers the name.

by Anonymousreply 128December 10, 2022 1:07 PM

Do you think Hawthorne fucked Miss Mamie after a double dose of The Recipe?

by Anonymousreply 129December 10, 2022 1:11 PM

Why the hell didn't they just movie that little tree that blocked the road to Charlottesville?

by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2022 1:12 PM

I would trust that sinema witch before I’d trust Ma Walton

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2022 1:14 PM

That's the wrong daddy! She must have amnesia!

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2022 1:21 PM

They are in the wrong house!

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2022 1:59 PM

It's like Patricia is acting on a whole different level and the other actors are just reacting to her. It's weird

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2022 2:33 PM

r128 Strip poker?

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2022 2:42 PM

Well Patricia Neal did have an Academy award.

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2022 2:52 PM

Why does everyone mention Pat Neal? Wasn’t she only in the pilot tv movie?

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2022 2:56 PM

R137 because this thread is about the Christmas TV movie of course!

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]Well Patricia Neal did have an Academy award.

And a Tony...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2022 5:40 PM

She never won the Emmy for this, or her other two nominations!

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2022 5:45 PM

R125 That was ventriloquist Edgar Bergen. He had the biggest hit radio show during the Depression - with his dummies, Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd (who of course couldn't be seen on the radio). His daughter is Candice Bergen.

R126 I doubt that's a misfire, since Earl Hamner, Jr. was writing a fictionalized version of his own family. Since he was also heavily involved in the creation/presentation of this TV movie, he would know .

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2022 5:54 PM

I asked my mom if she used to watch The Waltons. Her response was “fuck no”.

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2022 5:57 PM

Olivia Walton used to make ends meat by selling herself at a house-of-ill-repute in Charlottesville!

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2022 6:15 PM

R141 Will Geer, Grandpa #2, was also a ventriloquist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2022 6:18 PM

[quote] Olivia Walton used to make ends meat by selling herself at a house-of-ill-repute in Charlottesville!

She used that locked door routine on all her “Johns.”

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2022 6:19 PM

John boy had his five finger discount well under control when they called out his name at ‘nighty night’

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2022 6:53 PM

Was Ma Walton fucking that guy who brought the stolen turkey? She was very flirty with him

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2022 6:57 PM

It's a disgrace Pat didn't win the Emmy for playing Olivia. The Glenda Jackson won best actress in a drama series AND limited series for THE SAME Performance !

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2022 9:50 PM

Victoria Jackson was good as Mary Ellen

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2022 9:54 PM

I thought Michael Learned was Ma Walton.

I always thought John Boy (Richard Thomas) was a beautiful man. And he aged well. There Was a Law & Order SVU where Richard Thomas played a schizophrenic. He's middle-aged by then with a beard, but damn! Lemme at him!

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2022 11:00 PM

Here's a candid snap of Mary-Ellen I took out by Hickory Creek. Get your copy for just 39 cents!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2022 11:09 PM

Imagine getting that call;. Yep, you got the part. It's a home coming and it's for you! You're on screen 3 minutes!

by Anonymousreply 152December 11, 2022 4:57 AM

I find it interesting how the supporting players feature so heavily in this TV movie. Ike Godsey’s store, the black church and the Baldwin sisters are all very prominent, lengthy scenes. They were featured more than Ellen Corby and Edgar Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 153December 11, 2022 1:19 PM

Did Hawthorn reappear in the main show?

Why didn't he and John-Boy try to movie that piddly little tree that blocked their road?

by Anonymousreply 154December 11, 2022 2:38 PM

R153 I think it's basically because there's no real plot. Kind of, more, character studies. They're all involved with the family in one way or another

by Anonymousreply 155December 11, 2022 6:15 PM

R153, remember, the story is told by the John Boy character Those long scenes were what would have had significance to him: the questionable turkeys, the wanting to make a quick visit, instead of seeing their presence as charity, and most importantly, the growing anger of his feeling of not having privacy for thoughts or pleasuring himself.

It's a tapestry.

by Anonymousreply 156December 11, 2022 7:30 PM

[quote] Did Hawthorn reappear in the main show?

I don’t remember that he did. But they did introduce a black woman named Verdie.

by Anonymousreply 157December 11, 2022 10:07 PM

R151 More like Beaver 🦫 Creek

by Anonymousreply 158December 13, 2022 9:30 AM

Pa Walton had a stack of.those dirty magazines with his harlot of a daughter under his mattress. Ma Walton often wondered what Pa was doing locked in the bathroom for long periods of time.

by Anonymousreply 159December 13, 2022 9:54 AM

There was a lot of jerking and self touching in that house

by Anonymousreply 160December 13, 2022 10:30 AM

Poor Johngurl, I think he was always seen as a watered down, poor man’s Ron Howard

by Anonymousreply 161December 13, 2022 10:36 AM

A gal's gotta have hobby!

by Anonymousreply 162December 13, 2022 11:40 PM

I'm afraid Patricia Neal is too old for the role, like M in Mamma Mia, when's she's telling the story of how her parents were against their marriage 17 years ago and how they ran away to find a Preacher. Bitch, you were like 30 then, not some wide eyed teen!

by Anonymousreply 163December 10, 2023 7:10 PM

R163 Only by a few years. Neal was in her mid-40s.

by Anonymousreply 164December 10, 2023 8:21 PM

Who'd you want to play it? Mary Tyler Moore?

by Anonymousreply 165December 10, 2023 8:24 PM

I always thought Ralph Waite was pack’n

by Anonymousreply 166December 10, 2023 8:29 PM

Stupid ending where Livvie asks John what they're going to live in and he says "love". What he means is he's going to put another bum in her oven.

by Anonymousreply 167December 10, 2023 9:03 PM

Jesus Christ, must everybody shit on everything? You fucking suck!

by Anonymousreply 168December 10, 2023 9:21 PM

He was trying to change the conversation topic on her, OP, when he knew very well that the subject was roses!

Buh-dhuhmmm (sorry, had to). :)

by Anonymousreply 169December 10, 2023 11:01 PM

Michael Learned didn't have the body of a mother-of-7

by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2023 11:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!