Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's wrong with Joey Luft?

Was he an alcoholistic baby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2021 9:50 AM

He was NOT molested.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2021 4:59 AM

I bet he picked out her outfit that day.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2021 5:02 AM

His Mommy Dearest Judy couldn't lay off the drugs and booze during her pregnancy. He almost didn't survive infancy; one of his lungs failed to open. But he managed to survive. Supposedly he was her favorite child. Her affection towards him was cringeworthy, always pawing him and kissing him. He was named after one of Judy's great loves Joseph L. Mankiewicz. He was both physically and mentally affected by his mother's excesses. You can tell that just by listening to him and seeing him.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2021 5:07 AM

He's fine. What do you want him to do, break out singing "New York, New York?"

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2021 6:33 AM

^^...or Over the Rainbow?

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2021 6:34 AM

He's rather elfin, but as a young kid and teen he seemed just fine. Often the serious symptoms of FAS develop as one ages.

He used to play the drums onstage with Judy. He performed in all of her 1967 Palace Theater shows. Lorna intimated in her book he had a drinking problem as well. He lives with this married couple in Los Angeles, or rather they live with him. I think they trade off assisting him when needed for free or cheap housing. I'm sure Liza pays for his expenses.

I saw him at the old Ziegfeld movie theater here in NYC when they showed "Liza With a Z" on the big screen. Joey was hustled in by two big bodyguard type guys who practically lifted him as they walked. I don't think his feet touched the ground, he seemed worse off than in those later Academy Award pictures.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2021 7:10 AM

I'm surprised that any of those three survived

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2021 10:22 AM

He likes blue.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2021 10:28 AM

At this point does it really matter?

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2021 10:37 AM

I think we all look jusht fabulush!

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2021 10:57 AM

Liza Without A Bra.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote] I'm surprised that any of those three survived.

Liza at a a young age had already established a career for herself and was leading an independent life, but Lorna and Joey were still children and living with Judy and it's a wonder they DID survive. She was so broke she couldn't even afford to buy food for them. Lorna's stockings were so torn and worn out that a kindly maid (she wasn't getting paid but stayed on to help Judy out of pity) bought her some new ones. At some point Lorna had a mental breakdown and had to be hospitalized. It reached a stage where she called her father Sid Luft and said send me a plane ticket, I need to go live with you, right now. Joey eventually ended up going to his father's, too. All this talk about what a great mother Judy Garland was...she was an UNFIT mother. And she dared to criticize her own mother? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2021 8:50 PM

How about Where is Love, R4?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote]I'm surprised that any of those three survived

If it hadn't been for friends and neighbors like Cloris Leachman, who was a surrogate mother for them for years...I wonder how well they might have survived it all

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2021 10:04 PM

He sounds perfectly fine. I don’t think FAS necessarily causes developmental problems. Bing Crosby’s sons were ugly as hell but I don’t think they were retarded.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2021 11:10 PM

It IS shocking that Liza is still alive at 75.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2021 11:18 PM

Poor Lorna 😞

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote]Bing Crosby’s sons were ugly as hell but I don’t think they were retarded.

Bing Crosby's first wife Dixie Lee (born Wilma Winifred Wyatt) - the mother of those sons

was also an alcoholic

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2021 11:44 PM

I was...oh, never mind, you’ve heard it already.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2021 11:46 PM

R18, numbed herself due to extremely abusive hubs.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] I don’t think FAS necessarily causes developmental problems.

It most certainly does. The effects of FAS vary; some are more affected by it than others. It stunts the growth of some; others look relatively normal. And of course some are severely mentally disabled while others aren't as badly damaged. But there definitely is something wrong with Joey Luft. That seems obvious to me. LOOK at him. Even as a child he had a face that was kind of "off."

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2021 11:55 PM

Yes, Judy while being very loving was an unfit mother, while Ethel Gumm was apparently a totally driven and not very loving piece of work. She didn't exactly give her daughters the emotional foundation they needed as it just wasn't in her.

Still, she reportedly ( from every other source but Judy) managed Judy's money effectively, and fought with Louis B. Mayer about Judy's treatment and excessive workload, but Judy of course thought her mother deeply neurotic and unhelpful. Judy claimed that after she had her nervous breakdowns in 1947-48 that Ethel kept telling her what she need was a frontal lobotomy!

by Anonymousreply 22December 19, 2021 1:28 AM

[quote] Judy claimed that after she had her nervous breakdowns in 1947-48 that Ethel kept telling her what she need was a frontal lobotomy!

That was indeed a figment of Judy's drug addled imagination. She also spread the rumor that Ethel offered her to Louis B. Mayer was a sexual plaything. Judy told a lot of whoppers.

by Anonymousreply 23December 19, 2021 1:33 AM

I see Joey posting here he was molested. Was he, can anyone explain this dl meme.

by Anonymousreply 24December 19, 2021 2:34 AM

R24 needs reading comprehension assistance.

by Anonymousreply 25December 19, 2021 2:42 AM

Liza needs to get those honkers lifted.

by Anonymousreply 26December 19, 2021 6:41 AM

[quote]Liza needs to get those honkers lifted.

That’s probably the least of her physical problems.

by Anonymousreply 27December 19, 2021 9:31 AM

Poor kid. Surely Judy knew he was a tard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 19, 2021 9:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!