Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is John Mulaney good at his job?

My husband watched a bunch of SNL skits with him. None were funny. Is he good in anything else?

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2021 5:30 AM

he's not very good

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2021 10:32 PM

He's got a part-time gig for the next eighteen years but it doesn't pay.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2021 10:36 PM

He has his moments. His comedy was always more charming than it was hilarious. Mulaneys current problem is that his fan base was always largely straight millennial women who liked his nice guy persona. He's going to have to change his style if he wants to attract a new audience.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2021 10:44 PM

Straight millennial women like him? He looks like he's at least 50

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2021 10:49 PM

R4 I always got the impression that they were his primary fans. He didn't seem a big thing among men.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2021 10:51 PM

I'm not familiar with his work, but know he's mainly a stand-up comedian, so his acting in skits won't necessarily give you a good impression of how good he is at his job.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2021 10:58 PM

I thought Mulaney was fairly normal. Instead, he's a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2021 12:22 AM

And yet he's a multi-millionaire comedian who sells out shows, while you and your husband aren't.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2021 12:24 AM

R8, I’m not that familiar so I’ll take your word that you’ve done your research on his box office ticket sales.

Having said that, where are the jokes?

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2021 12:26 AM

He had some funny skits on SNL and the Stefan character was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2021 12:34 AM

[R8] has decried that the only time someone is not above reproach is when the criticizing party is of the same profession as the criticized. Unless you are Dave Chapelle or Kathy Griffin, do not comment in this thread.

Moving on...

I don't think watching him act out subpar material on SNL is indicative of his work as a standup comic. I think sharing anecdotes and interlacing observational, self-deprecating humor is his bread and butter and is evident in his stand up material on Netflix. Check out New in Town - there are clips on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] And yet he's a multi-millionaire comedian who sells out shows, while you and your husband aren't.

No one is allowed to criticize rich people!!!

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2021 12:42 AM

OP, this (allegedly) is your husband's opinion. Don't you have one of your own? Are you too insecure to express your own opinion? Or is this just a way to create a "Let's bash X" post but take no ownership of it? Grow a pair!

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote]And yet he's a multi-millionaire comedian who sells out shows, while you and your husband aren't.

OP and his husband are long time junkies who've ruined their lives by impregnating a stalker

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2021 2:21 AM

OP and his husband AREN'T long time junkies who've ruined their lives by impregnating a stalker

sorry.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2021 2:22 AM

His ad libbed work with Nick Kroll is usually funny.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2021 3:52 AM

His stand-up is funny but I find his work on SNL to be lazy, but then again, everyone's is. It's a lazy show these days.

He's best when he's talking about his personal or family life, when he starts talking about celebrities he worked with when he was an SNL writer he gets boring and full of himself. Now that he's apparently spending his time on stage being bitchy about the intervention ("so, like, annoying, and besides, I was the hottest one there") and having a baby ("everyone hates my kid!") I do wonder how well he's going to do in the future.

He's got a dedicated set of lady fans who were all over social media scolding people for enjoying the gossip about him and Munn, saying we all had made-up romantic relationships with him in our heads and we were sick people, stop slut shaming Olivia, leave John alone!!! So he might do well, we'll just have to see.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2021 3:59 AM

He looks like he's packing a massive cock down there. That might be his selling point.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2021 4:00 AM

An Irish-American guy, r18? Not bloody likely.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2021 4:24 AM

OP = FRAU

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2021 4:40 AM

Wasn't one part of his comedy shtick is how that people keep thinking that he's gay based on his mannerisms and how he dressed but would have to repeat that he is not gay?

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2021 5:07 AM

I thought his thing on SNL was he created the musical skits. Like the "wink wink" to the broadway gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2021 5:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!