Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Memoirs by Faded D-Listers

Reading the threads on books by/about Sharon Gless, Stanwyck, etc., has been entertaining. But I truly enjoy the memoirs of C and D list entertainers, particularly when they are older and have nothing to lose. The trade off is they are almost universally poorly edited. But I can take it for the anecdotes alone.

At the moment, I’m reading Sharon Farrell’s memoir. I’m not even halfway through and she has already fucked a boatload of fellow actors and dissed quite a few people. Some excerpts attached as Kindle pages:

Sharon on Steve McQueen Sharon on Jill St.John Sharon on Lee Majors Sharon on Anal sex Sharon on Barbara Hershey

What are your favorite crap/self-published memoirs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2021 8:46 AM

"He started paying oral homage to my vagina"

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2021 5:25 PM

I guess Britt Ekland was A-list adjacent, not C or D -list, but "True Britt" is florid and fun:

Rod Stewart was eighteen months younger than me. At last I was with a man virtually of my own generation. For so much of my life I had been influenced by the father figure. I had missed out so much in my youth. My early twenties had been stifled by Peter Sellers and his indoctrinations on the immaturity and rashness of youth. With Rod I could go to parties and discos and let my hair down.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2021 5:35 PM

I had to look up Sharon Farrell because I didn’t think I knew who she was but I guess have seen her in a few things - It’s Alive, Night of the Comet, The Stunt Man, Can’t Buy Me Love. So glad to know about the sex life of someone I can barely picture.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2021 5:39 PM

She had phone sex with Lee Majors? Was he getting a blowjob from his male 'protegé' at the time?

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2021 6:09 PM

I barely remember Sharon Farrell, and I sure didn’t need to hear about her painful experiences with anal sex and wearing a buttplug all day.

Her son is named Chance Boyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Anyone read the memoir written by the actress Evelyn Keys who played a sister of Scarlet O Hara in Gone with the wind? So depressing!!

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Who’s the Dale that Sharon mentions?

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]Who’s the Dale that Sharon mentions?

One of the Disney Chipmunks, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2021 6:33 PM

Disney chipmunks did anal???!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2021 6:35 PM

The gold standard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2021 6:44 PM

I'm a big fan of the early poetry of Suzanne Somers interpreted by Kristin Wiig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2021 6:48 PM

She did the Rescue Rangers, R9.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2021 6:51 PM

OP I liked A Low Life in High Heels by Holly Woodlawn.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2021 11:05 PM

R6: why was it depressing?

by Anonymousreply 14December 12, 2021 12:05 AM

If you’ve got mom at R10, we might as well throw in the son as well.

Sharon Farrell was also a Y&R actress so we’ve hit the trifecta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2021 12:06 AM

R14, She was a failed actress that lived with the miserable and abusive Artie Shaw for 20+ years because it was obvious she didn’t know how to/feel capable of financially supporting herself. It made me bummed that she wasn’t able to get her act together. The overall impression I got was that she basically threw a big chunk of her life away.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2021 12:59 AM

That is sad r16. He seems like an asshole, but damn, I guess he had something. Lana Turner, Ava Gardner, almost Judy Garland. Must have had something, but the trick seems to have been fuck him and get out of there quick.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2021 1:08 AM

I Am Not Ashamed is great

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2021 1:12 AM

R10 I **knew** someone would have shared that one.

That crazy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2021 1:17 AM

There was a memoir by Phyllis Newman, who had basically three things to her name:

(1) She was the wife of the lyricist Adolph Green, and appeared on game shows and talk shows with him;

(2) She won a Best Supporting Actress in a Musical Tony for the little-seen "Subways are for Sleeping";

(3) She understudied Judy Holliday in "Bells Are Ringing"

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2021 1:22 AM

Oh I love obscure DL entertainment history. Did "Subways are for Sleeping" have anything to do with Don't Sleep in the Subway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2021 1:32 AM

r21: actually, yes. The title of the musical inspired that Petula Clark song, which premiered in the UK to the general puzzlement of Britons. They would say "the undergrounds" rather than what we Americans call "subways"--a "subway" to them is a sunken pathway with open air but below ground level, and so a bad place for sleeping; but the writers of the musical and the writers of the Pet Clark song both meant underground trains by the term.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2021 1:44 AM

Thanks r22. And I'll reiterate LOVE obscure entertainment history on DL.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2021 1:45 AM

OP, you're wonderful. Thank you.

I have signed copies of Sophie Tucker's ("Some of These Days") and Hikdegarde's (Over 50? So What!) autobiographies, but they're funny for other reasons than how they opened their most private parts.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2021 2:01 AM

She was "Evelyn Keyes."

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2021 2:06 AM

SPY Magazine used to do a hilarious yearly round-up of the most unintentionally passages from celebrity memoirs and autobiographies, whether by A-listers or D-listers, and some parts of them have always stayed with me, like Malcolm Jamal-Warner giving his teenage readers his okay to masturbate, or Debbie Reynolds (not a D-lister, of course) praying ever night to the spirit of her beloved mentor Agnes Moorhead after the latter's death (and sometimes receiving responses from the late Agnes from the Great Beyond!).

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2021 2:17 AM

Agnes was not Debbie's mentor.

She was her womentor.

Famously.

by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2021 2:28 AM

OP you mention "Stanwyck", certainly you're not referring to Barbara Stanwyck as anything, but A list, right?

There is no way anyone would consider her anything but A list!

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2021 2:53 AM

Did Zasu Pitts write her memoirs? The perfect title would have been Life Is Just a Bowl of Pitts.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2021 3:52 AM

Hedy Lamarr’s “Ecstacy and Me” includes a vivid description of her being orally serviced by a famous female costume designer. But Lamarr later claimed that she didn’t write thd book.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2021 4:27 AM

I bought Sharon Farrell's and haven't gone more than few pages but it doesn't seem like crap, it seems dishy and fun.

I also have Hollywood Mother of the Year and A Difficult Woman in Hollywood in my to-read pile.

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2021 5:18 AM

R28 No, certainly not. I merely meant that while I enjoy reading about real stars, there’s a devil may care charm in the downtrodden.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2021 5:23 AM

R5 Chance’s father — Sharon’s third or fourth husband — was the heir to the White King soap fortune. White King was a homegrown (California) and once mighty brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2021 5:27 AM

R2 Peter Sellers had kept Britt on a very short leash! I can understand her letting loose with Rod and, later, Slim Jim Phantom from The Stray Cats.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2021 5:30 AM

"Rod came into my life six weeks after I parted from Lou Adler, and I rose back into the sky like a gull whose oil-soaked wings had been cleansed by a detergent."

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2021 5:43 AM

R6 R25 I read Keyes’s first memoir, “Scarlett O’Hara’s Younger Sister” when it was first published in the early 1980s during a huge wave of celebrity autobiographies. She also married Orson Welles and John Huston. It was a surprise bestseller. But her follow up was not as interesting or successful. Meanwhile, I adored Shelley Winters’s first memoir, “Shelley, Also Known as Shirley.” A great big tell all and catnip for 1950s Hollywood fans.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2021 5:47 AM

R31 It is fun…but I wish she would send it to me in a word doc and let me edit it for her.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2021 5:48 AM

Tisha Sterling’s book had some gold…particularly her “bio within a bio” on her mom, Ann Sothern.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2021 5:50 AM

R7 Dale Trevillion, a minor league film producer, who, predictably, spent her savings, controlled her, and emotionally abused her.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2021 5:52 AM

Trevillion sued Farrell for property as recently as 2016, but the case was dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2021 6:05 AM

There’s a TokToker who highlights quotes and info from D List celebrity memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2021 6:05 AM

Subways Are for Sleeping has a song called Be a Santa. Yesterday was SantaCon so I guess it was a musical 60 years ahead off its time.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2021 6:19 AM

Ha! I never thought about that r42 but "Be a Santa" is the first act finale and features most of the cast running around New York dressed as Santa Claus.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2021 6:47 AM

The Be a Santa number from Subways Are for Sleeping.

Now back to the thread topic, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2021 6:59 AM

Was it Edith Head who serviced Hedy Lamar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2021 7:00 AM

Graham Payn's book about Noel Coward was absolutely unreadable. If those mentioned above are D-listers, he was deffo D-.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2021 7:41 AM

Fuck. I only just watched Out of the Blue (1980) and one of the extras was an interview with Sharon Farrell.

She wasn't aware that Linda Manz had passed away last year.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2021 7:44 AM

r47 Where did you find Out of the Blue? Did you need to buy on DVD? I cannot find it streaming and always wanted to see it. A few weeks ago, I found it on YouTube, started watching, got hooked, but stopped midway through. A few nights later it had been taken down. It was very hypnotic and Linda Manz was fantastic. Now that I am reading about Farrell, I want to find it. During the filming of Out of the Blue, she herself was in the throes of addiction and I kind of felt like she was playing herself a bit

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2021 3:16 PM

Miss Farrell is very South Shore of Long Island without being South Shore.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2021 4:10 PM

Sharon Farrell.....the downmarket Sally Kirkland?

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2021 6:21 PM

Burt Ward insinuated that Marta Kristen, Judy from LOST IN SPACE, tried to attack him w/an axe after sex in his horribly written vanity press memoir, BOY WONDER: MY LIFE IN TIGHTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2021 7:54 PM

I love this guy's Amazon review of Burt Ward's memoir.

" Published by a company that Burt Ward owns (with good cause... no one in their right mind would touch this), Burt tells us how he was an honor role student, best chess player in his school, and speed reads 30,000 words a minute. He later describes how he was Bruce Lee's equal in the martial arts and how the nasty Batman producers kept him from playing the title role in The Graduate, leaving the role open for Dustin Hoffman. What he does not tell us is how such a great actor as he seems to feel that he is, spent the next thirty years making a living shaking hands at car lots. He does tell us that he got laid a lot. Not as much detail is spent discussing the un-named compainons though as tales as to how large his organ is, and how many orgasms he was able to bring them to on a regular basis. Funny thing about the book. He never discusses any friends. Upon reading the book it is apparent as to why. It is hard to imagine him having any."

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2021 7:59 PM

Anne Heche's "Call Me Crazy" is excellent trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2021 8:09 PM

R47 It was actually I Blu Ray Region B from the UK, though I understand a Region A edition is being released soon in the US.

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2021 10:23 PM

I remember when Burt’s Ward’s autobiography came out. If I recall, he discussed his huge schlong and numerous sexual escapes including group sex (women only) with Adam West.

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2021 11:30 PM

R38, what did Tisha Sterling say? I've always liked her

by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2021 11:39 PM

Olivia Hussey talks about her relationship with actor Christopher Jones. She said he beat and raped her after she broke up with him

by Anonymousreply 57December 13, 2021 11:42 PM

R56 She has a lot of stories. A lot of addiction and lost opportunities…but the early years when she was a kid and Ann was a star were a lot of fun to read.

But she tells a very disturbing story about how Ann, at the height of her “Maisie” fame and before she was married to Robert Sterling, felt she needed to adopt. She was visiting Chicago and became charmed by the newsie outside her hotel. He was 9 or 10 and she asked to meet his family. They lived in poverty and he had 11 or 12 siblings. She asked his parents if they would “give” him to her…and they agreed (!)

She took him back with her to LA. She sent him to private school and lived in luxury. She loved him like a son and thought he was hers for good. But about a year later his family showed up and threatened her and she had to give him back.

She never heard from them again, but decades later (when Ann was in a wheelchair) a woman came up to her and said she had known the boy and his family. Ann lit up in excitement. Then the woman told her the boy had had a rough life and had died in his forties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2021 2:16 AM

^^ does Tisha write about many stars of Old Hollywood in this book?

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2021 7:02 AM

Charm school- what a great concept. They should bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2021 8:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!