Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I like making pancakes in the winter from time to time. Anyone have any tips on making a nice little batter?

I've used an old Betty Crocker recipe for years that my mother also used. I use butter in place of the scary shortening. I haven't tried using canola oil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2021 9:21 PM

Bisquick, doll.

Just add milk, an egg, and a little cook oil. Dee-lish.

Serve with blueberries, butter and GOOD warm syrup.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2021 3:30 PM

Dough blobs that get cold the second they hit the plate.

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2021 4:10 PM

Pancakes are great, breakfast is great, but it is the worst fucking meal to prepare and serve.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2021 4:13 PM

If you use Greek yogurt or Kefir instead of milk the pancakes are way fluffier. I also use three teaspoons of baking power in mine

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2021 4:14 PM

Yes yes use canola oil. And the recipe is a GOOD one

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2021 4:16 PM

Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix for the lazy fucking win. I toss in a capful or two of vanilla extract. So fucking easy and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Batter, batter, batter........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2021 4:42 PM

I have a recipe I used to make Sour Cream Pancakes that are fluffy and YUMMY. They're from my mother's old Woman's Day Encyclopedia Of Cookery. I served them with whipped butter and pure maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2021 4:46 PM

Try Buckwheat cakes. They're different than typical pancakes, and they crisp around the edge. I don't eat pancakes (I prefer waffles, and I don't even eat those), but I LOVE Buckwheat cakes. And tradirionally, they're served with plenty of butter, and King Syrup.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2021 5:23 PM

I use Bisquick, too. I'll add a little vanilla extract...and sometimes pureed pumpkin (no sugar) for moist pumpkin pancakes. I use pure maple syrup from Vermont. I'll add blueberries sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2021 5:23 PM

i came to say the same thing as r6, Krusteaz blows away Bisquick any day and you just need to add water. if you want waffles, i think you add in a tbsp of oil.

I love Krusteaz!

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2021 5:26 PM

Use soda water (not cold) for extra fluffiness. Reduce baking powder accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]I use butter in place of the scary shortening.

OP apparently had a traumatic fisting incident in his past.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2021 5:31 PM

Farm fresh eggs, doll.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2021 5:36 PM

If you have your own chickens...even better. ^^

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2021 7:15 PM

*coop^^

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2021 7:17 PM

I've never heard of using shortening for pancakes. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2021 7:21 PM

Must use creamery butter.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2021 7:27 PM

R17- Ethel Mae Mertz knows something about SHORTNIN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2021 7:31 PM

American pancakes are the worst. If not eaten right away and with butter and syrup it turns into limp cardboard. French crepes, Russian blini, and fluffy Japanese style pancakes are much tastier with better texture. The only way I like American style pancakes is when I add some sourdough starter to the batter.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2021 8:18 PM

^^^ forgot to link to a good recipe for sourdough pancakes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2021 8:20 PM

Using buttermilk gives a great silky consistence, allows for a thinner pancake and has a tart, savory aftertaste.

I also agree with a dash of vanilla.

Use lemon zest and a few drops of juice for an unusual, tart fruit flavor.

Rhubarb preserve and sour cream are great toppings

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2021 8:29 PM

They sound even more manly when you call 'em "flapjacks."

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2021 8:36 PM

If you use baking powder for lift, make sure you use an aluminum free variety.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2021 8:38 PM

Johnny cakes...

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2021 8:46 PM

R9, a friend I stayed with recently made buckwheat pancakes and served them with blackstrap molasses and sweetened ricotta as toppings. I'm not a big pancake fan, but these were heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2021 8:56 PM

Just thin the batter and make crêpe Suzettes. Merveilleux !

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2021 8:58 PM

Anybody knows Mcdonalds hotcake recipe?

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2021 9:01 PM

Yes, R28. Go to drive through. Order hotcakes. Enjoy in your wheeled home.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2021 9:56 PM

Thank you SO much for the tips, lovelies. - OP

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2021 8:47 PM

r27=flamer

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2021 9:00 PM

Bisquick makes them taste horrible. Duncan Hines used to be the best of the mixes, but they stopped making it. I use the NY Times recipe. the secret with this is to let the batter rest before you put it in a pan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2021 9:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!