Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Glenn Close movie performance?

She's such a good actress. I like her better than Meryl tbh.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2022 12:47 PM

I wish I could have added more choices:

The Big Chill

The World According to Garp

Mars Attacks!

Hamlet

Hook

Hoodwinked!

5 to 7

Crooked House

Guardians of the Galaxy

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2021 5:59 PM

Hard to say . . .

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2021 6:01 PM

The Big Chill

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2021 6:03 PM

Teddy Barnes was truly unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2021 6:04 PM

I would add "In the Gloaming" and "Serving in Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story" (TV Movies). She wasn't bad in the TV movie of "South Pacific," either, but definitely too old to play Nellie Forbush.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2021 6:05 PM

I liked her in Meeting Venus.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2021 6:14 PM

Big Chill or Garp.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2021 6:17 PM

Garp.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2021 6:19 PM

Fatal Attraction is what will keep her legacy alive.

But her last scene in Dangerous makes that her best performance for me.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2021 10:37 PM

She is such a better actress than Meryl Streep

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2021 1:17 AM

She made a superb debut in "Garp" playing Robin Williams' Mom, and she was only a few years older than him; she got her first Oscar nomination for it, too.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2021 1:24 AM

For someone that butch she also seems to play a lot of characters with male names.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2021 1:28 AM

She was great in The West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2021 1:29 AM

She’s a marvellous actress. Her role in Dangerous Liaisons will always be the one that genuinely gives me chills. She has given amazing performance after amazing performance, many in films which are far more interesting than the usual Hollywood fare.

Her lack of at least one Oscar makes me a little sad for her. She deserves better treatment from the Academy, but the fact that she remains unrecognised by it says more about them than it does about her.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2021 1:31 AM

Very interesting and really scene stealing in Reversal of Fortune. Surprised she wasn't nominated for at least Supporting Actress.

"I'm thinking of redecorating this whole fucking house."

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2021 1:33 AM

Definitely "Fatal Attraction" for me, but she was terrific in "Garp" too. I wish I had seen "The Real Thing" or "Benefactors" on Broadway...

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2021 1:40 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2021 1:46 AM

^^She was great as the old lady in Mrs. Doubtfire.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2021 1:47 AM

Maxie.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2021 1:49 AM

It's not a well-remembered movie, but she was good in Ron Howard's The Paper, and she should have been nominated for Supporting Actress that year.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2021 1:52 AM

Wonderful man with a long career.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2021 1:57 AM

I love the scene in Reversal of Fortune where she’s wearing sunglasses, eating an ice cream sundae and smoking a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2021 2:45 AM

She was great in RoF but I can’t go fast Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2021 2:46 AM

I would have to say that all of the mentioned performances are equal in quality.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2021 2:51 AM

The Stepford Wives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2021 2:52 AM

"I love the scene in Reversal of Fortune where she’s wearing sunglasses, eating an ice cream sundae and smoking a cigarette."

If I was a woman it would be my Halloween costume every year.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote] "I love the scene in Reversal of Fortune where she’s wearing sunglasses, eating an ice cream sundae and smoking a cigarette."

And the way she says "I'm thinking of redecorating this whole...fucking...house"

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2021 3:49 AM

Even though she wasn’t as beautiful as Sarah Michelle Gellar, she gave a much more subtle, layered, calculating performance as Merteuil. She could have played that role like Joan Collins, it would have been so easy to play the role like Alexis Colby, and she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2021 4:34 AM

Does anyone else think she is better than Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2021 4:14 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2021 4:22 PM

I’m not sure if she is better than Meryl, but I think she picks more interesting parts. Meryl has stuck to crowd-pleasers over the past couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2021 4:47 PM

R31 Yeah. I think since after 1990, Meryl has always been playing a variation of Meryl. Her early roles were better- The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, The French Lieutenant's Wife, Out of Africa, A Cry in the Dark/Evil Angels, Plenty, and Sophie's Choice, of course.

Glenn seems to disappear in her characters. Glenn is also in more international films, whereas Meryl likes good ole American flicks.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2021 4:52 PM

Dangerous Liaisons has so many great moments, like one poster wrote the finale. Also the scene where she's reading the letter and smiling and you see her grinning getting off the coach and all of a sudden changing into sympathy always makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2021 5:02 PM

For a period piece, especially a period piece based on a stage play, Dangerous Liaisons still feels alive and engrossing in a way that other adaptations just don't, i.e. Stephen Frears and Christopher Hampton's subsequent collaborations "Mary Reilly" and "Chéri."

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] Does anyone else think she is better than Meryl?

I don’t think Meryl or Glenn are all that good. There’s no truth to their performance.

Give me Anne Bancroft, Ruth Gordon or Patricia Neal. Now *they* were actresses!

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2021 6:05 PM

R35 What about Betty Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2021 7:01 PM

I don't understand the question.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote] What about Betty Bacall?

Not a fan, myself. Like Bette Davis, there was too much affectation. Plus, I never thought she was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2021 7:05 PM

The one which got her an Oscar.

I can't recall the name.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2022 12:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!