Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pearl Harbor: 80 Years Ago Today

The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, just before 08:00, on Sunday, December 7, 1941. The attack commenced at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time (18:18 GMT). The base was attacked by 353 Imperial Japanese aircraft (including fighters, level and dive bombers, and torpedo bombers) in two waves, launched from six aircraft carriers. Of the eight U.S. Navy battleships present, all were damaged, with four sunk. All but USS Arizona were later raised, and six were returned to service and went on to fight in the war. The Japanese also sank or damaged three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer. A total of 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 11:51 PM

The sky was so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2021 3:16 PM

Got us outta The Depression. We didn't have to eat grass soup anymore!

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2021 3:21 PM

I used to know an elderly man (now deceased) in Portland, Maine, who was stationed at Pearl Harbor during the attack. What a story he had to tell! It was harrowing,.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2021 4:05 PM

If they hadn't we would never have entered World War II.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2021 4:06 PM

More than you probably want to know about Pearl Harbor and the salvage operation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2021 4:07 PM

Reportedly, there are now about 75 surviving American servicemen from the attack, several over 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2021 4:11 PM

We would have entered the war eventually. It was a disaster for the US, but a convenient one. Even more conveniently, Hitler declared war on US so Roosevelt didn't have to convince anyone to fight both Germany *and Japan.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2021 4:11 PM

"We can't possibly lose the now -- the Japanese have never lost a war in 3000 years!"

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2021 4:12 PM

There were dissidents in Japan, just as there were in Germany and occupied countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2021 5:20 PM

80 years ago? I better put on my most bulbous Pearls to clutch for this Pearl Harbor anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2021 5:25 PM

"Who's Pearl Habor?"

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2021 5:38 PM

Some pilots near the end of the war had been forced into suicide missions and deliberately crashed in the sea. Others, of course, aimed for their targets as ordered or were carrying out atrocities in the war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2021 5:47 PM

Whoopi was talking about it on The View this morning and said over and over again, "It happened, it really happened!" since, you know, Fake News and all. Isn't 2021 fun? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2021 5:51 PM

40 years ago today I remember being in woodshop class in 7th grade. A older teacher came in complaining that the 40th anniversary of the attack hadn't been mentioned in the morning announcements. I remember kinda rolling my eyes about it, and I feel guilty now. That teacher has likely passed, and I'm now close to as old as he was then.

Time is a bitch. As are regrets.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2021 5:59 PM

"Whoopi was talking about it on The View this morning and said over and over again, "It happened, it really happened!" since, you know, Fake News and all. Isn't 2021 fun? Sad."

will she say the same about Hiroshima?

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2021 6:11 PM

I was there in my 20s and remember feeling angry at a bunch of Japanese tourists standing around a big model of the Arizona and smiling and talking as they pointed at the model.

I went back in my 50s and didn’t really care. I’ve seen decades of people being shitty to others, and stupidly sabotaging their own futures. What I was angry about in my 20s I’m sort of resigned to now.

Good thing too. American democracy as we know it is on the verge of ending. The fact that it could be ended by a short-fingered vulgarian narcissist suggests it wasn’t worth saving in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2021 6:13 PM

It was worse when singer Pearl Bailey was attacked by miniature Japanese airplanes.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2021 11:53 PM

I read the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association disbanded a few years ago. So few survivors it wasn’t worth it to keep meeting. Survivors can have their ashes buried there if they want. Some events cast a long shadow over a life.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2021 2:11 AM

I did a tour of Pearl Harbor while on vacation in Japan. I did not expect to be so moved. It’s really an extraordinary memorial.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2021 2:15 AM

Geez did I really type Japan?? I meant Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2021 2:16 AM

I remember thinking in the lead up to the 2020 election "What if good doesn't win out this time? What will become of us."

I wonder what it was like to be in this country in 1942 and 1943 when the outcome was far from sure. Did everyone just assume we'd win? Or were people worried?

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2021 4:59 AM

R6, they were all the youngest then, some at 17. About a 3rd of the remaining veterans are Hawaiian.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2021 5:35 AM

A friend of my father's served on USS Arizona & survived. He was sitting on the john, taking a shit, when the bombing began. Died of a heart-attack in the early 1970s. He was married to legendary soap writer Pat Falken Smith.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 11:18 PM

I want the war in Ukraine to end. I feel as bad for the people of Ukraine now as I did almost a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 11:22 PM

I'm going to say that while Germany has done a lot to atone for their part in the situation, Japanese seem to be oblivious to their war crimes.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 11:29 PM

That's not at all true, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!