Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elder Gays: Did the 2 failed assassination attempts on Gerald Ford seem completely ridiculous at the time?

Or is just me? President Ford visits California, Manson follower Squeaky Fromm tries to kill him, then, 17 days later, it's Sara Jane Moore's turn! What the hell was that all about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2021 10:27 PM

Was Ford that disliked? He seemed like such a benign President to deserve 2 assassination attempts within a month.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2021 12:52 AM

Comedians had fun with them.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2021 12:56 AM

The good ole days when crazies shot people in power and not school kids.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2021 1:58 AM

I was pretty young at the time, but for years afterward it did seem really kind of silly. Yes, Ford was pretty innocuous, especially after all the real hatred directed at LBJ and Nixon, justifiably many times. But then Ford? Really, it does seem odd and yes ridiculous that these two stupid bitches decided that killing him was the thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2021 2:05 AM

The two attempts were appalling but also somewhat dismissed because of the character of the assassins. Fromme didn't know how to operate the gun and there wasn't a bullet in the chamber, although she had a nearly point-blank proximity. And as a Manson chick, she was considered crazy, dangerous but a flake.

Moore was about 40-feet away, and she missed Ford's head by inches. She was knocked out of getting a decent second shot off, hit a man in the groin, and also looked like a crazy person.

After the events of the 1960s, the civil rights movement and violence, JFK's horrible death, Vietnam and the horrors of that, the divisions in the country (the same ones we see now - in spades), MLK, RFK, Wallace's shooting, Nixon's horrors and resignation and Ford's pardon of him, and the sense of a deep, baffling corruption in the air, the Ford assassination attempts felt like absurdity in a fever dream.

And Americans always have been quick to get over shootings in which the famous target escapes. Americans in the 1970s were painfully aware that survival was not inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]felt like absurdity in a fever dream.

That's what watching Jan. 6 felt like to me. I was so discombobulated from everything from 2016 onward, Trump, Covid, etc. it didn't really register how serious it was.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2021 2:36 PM

There was an SNL sketch with Squeaky Fromme but I can't find it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2021 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!