Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Do We Think About Superman Bring Bisexual

Clark Kent is being retired (thanks to legal issues between DC and the creator’s estate). Jon Kent is officially Superman. DC cancelled the original Superman comic book for this. What do we think of bisexual Superman? DC also dropped the American way bit of Superman’s slogan. Is this just pandering or making him modern?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2021 12:34 PM

Superman can go fuck himself. Does that make him bi?

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2021 3:08 PM

In no way can I imagine Superman being anything other than a red-blooded heterosexual male.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2021 3:14 PM

"The copyright to Action Comics #1 was in its renewal term on October 27, 1998 (the date the Copyright Term Extension Act became effective). This means that the copyright will expire 95 years after it was first secured,[52] i.e. in 2033. Thus, barring new legislation, Superman as he is depicted in Action Comics #1 will become public domain in 2033, along with other story elements such as Lois Lane and the city of Metropolis. Some later developments of the character, such as his power of "heat vision" (introduced in a 1949 story), may not be available to unlicensed authors as they were introduced in works that will persist longer under copyright. Supporting characters such as Lana Lang, or locales such as the Fortress of Solitude, will also persist for longer in copyright."

Wow, didn't know that. Is that really the reason why they push Jon so much?!

You know, I kinda like it. Superman is THE archetypal superhero, and knowing that his son has a boyfriend makes me happy, although I didn't feel that the beginning of the relationship was handled that well. I think it's perfectly fine that he's dating an Asia guy, but the pink hair is a bit too much...

In the long term, I'd love to see Jon dating Tim Drake AKA Robin III.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2021 3:23 PM

Pandering and it’s backfiring .

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2021 3:23 PM

So is DC Detective Comics? I would like to see some Jessica Jones style gumshoes.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2021 3:25 PM

Of course, it's pandering, but--as a gay man--I like being pandered to from time to time, especially when it's regarding one of my favorite superheroes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2021 3:28 PM

Is this the same character as Tyler Hoechlin’s fictional son on Lois and Superman?

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2021 3:28 PM

Get dean back on. I'm sure he'll be fine with playing bi.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote] I'm sure he'll be fine with playing bi.

He has played gay before, so no shouldn’t be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2021 3:34 PM

Why is he not trans? This is literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2021 3:34 PM

[quote]Is this the same character as Tyler Hoechlin’s fictional son on Lois and Superman?

No, not really. Same name, but other than that they have not much in common, I think. Jon in the comics is an only child so far, has full superpowers, and he was aged several years off-screen (or rather off-page) during some interdimensional hijinks that only lasted three weeks on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2021 3:35 PM

The purple-haired “guy” is a guy—right? Or are they ambiguous on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote]The purple-haired “guy” is a guy—right? Or are they ambiguous on purpose.

Yes. The guy's name is Jay Nakamura, a "Gamorran" refugee living in the US, a "hacktivist," and a big fan of Lois Lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2021 3:51 PM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2021 3:54 PM

You clearly don’t know anything about comics. Clark isn’t being retired because of legal issues. And DC is known for its legacy characters - multiple Robins, Kid Flashes, Aqualad, Speedy, Donna Troy, etc. Why the hell are you engaging in low-key homophobia on a gay gossip site?

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2021 3:57 PM

R15, is the woke chief of police . A grown ass man still obsessed with childish comics. Grow up!

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2021 4:05 PM

Jon with gay Aqualad Jackson Hyde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2021 4:10 PM

He doesn’t look like a guy at all. He looks like a purple-haired woman in glasses.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2021 4:26 PM

Why can’t they give the superboy a guy that looks like a guy and not one who I have to look at closely and figure out if that’s a guy or not.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2021 4:27 PM

The purple hair comes across as some straight woman's weird fucking fanfiction. Of course the "bisexual representation" will be with some androgynous purple hair.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2021 4:29 PM

Who is the top, and who is the bottom?

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2021 4:32 PM

The purple hair looks like an F2M.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] Pandering and it’s backfiring .

That’s why the sales are through the roof and they’re doing a second printing. lol

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2021 4:37 PM

I’m assuming straights designed this comic?

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] You clearly don’t know anything about comics. Clark isn’t being retired because of legal issues. And DC is known for its legacy characters - multiple Robins, Kid Flashes, Aqualad, Speedy, Donna Troy, etc. Why the hell are you engaging in low-key homophobia on a gay gossip site?

No, Clark is officially retired. Jon Kent is officially the new Superman. The original Superman comic was ended for this takeover. This article goes into legal issues DC has had. This article came before it was officially revealed and this colorist walked in protest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2021 4:39 PM

They are pandering, but not to actual gays. They're pandering to the freaks who think being "queer" is a personality trait. They're the ones buying the comic. With their parents' credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] I’m assuming straights designed this comic?

I believe the author is gay. They also had Tim Drake bi recently. Catwoman is also now officially bi.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2021 4:40 PM

The author might be gay but what about the illustrator—and the gatekeepers who approve storylines and designs?

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2021 4:41 PM

I’m gay and I don’t approve of the purple-haired. It looks like “queer” shit to me.

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2021 4:42 PM

Hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2021 4:43 PM

Time to put your teeth in the glass, R16. People of all ages read comics. Stick to Jacqueline Susann novels and organizing your collection of muumuus. And who the fuck said anything “woke”?

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2021 4:51 PM

Couldn’t they have made a better looking boyfriend for him?

Asian males have always been at the bottom of the dating tier. Just like Hairspray sells the fantasy of the fat girl being able to get the hot guy, this is selling the fantasy that the undesirable Asian male is worthy enough to be chosen by the desirable white superhero.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2021 4:51 PM

Yes, R25. He is “officially retired” like he was “officially dead” - nothing is permanent in comics and sidelining one of the trinity for a while and bringing them back is something DC has done over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] Asian males have always been at the bottom of the dating tier.

Asian females have always been at the top of the marrying year for closeted men.

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2021 4:59 PM

So the purple-haired is Asian, so he IS ambiguous on purpose. So the gatekeepers—the suits must have demanded this.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2021 5:01 PM

R33, DC did this on purpose. They have created their own original character to stop having your deal with the family. Clark is done.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2021 5:04 PM

R31, far time for you to move out of childhood home .

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2021 5:18 PM

What a witty and stinging comeback R37. We’re you winded from yelling at people to get off your lawn?

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2021 5:29 PM

Sure, R36. They are going to give up on the ur-superhero, the one who set the identity of their company for almost 80 years. This it totally a thing that happened. This is a marketing stunt.

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote]No, Clark is officially retired.

He's still headlining Action Comics, where he has and will be on an alien world for an extended period, leaving his son Jon Kent to watch over Earth.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2021 5:46 PM

Of course, they are not going to get rid of Kal-El as superman, but I suspect that they wouldn't mind building up Jon Kent as a legacy character with staying power.

And, really, I might not find it perfect the way it is at the moment, but Jon is a hot new character with a lot of possibilities, and it is really great to see Supes being a cool dad who supports his son having a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2021 5:54 PM

Is he a legacy child?

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2021 5:56 PM

Robin and husbear Batman have bigger bulges and batnips.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2021 7:02 PM

Clickbait to appease the twenty-somethings who all think they are bisexual now. Will sell many more copies now.

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2021 7:16 PM

I can’t wait for all these “queers” to get married to members of the opposite sex, have kids, and vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2021 7:18 PM

It should have been Connor, and he should have been dating Tim. Jon only got aged up because Bendis is a hack who hated Super Sons. They could have finally pulled the gun on the relationship that's been building since the early 90s and canonized one of DCs biggest gay ships instead we got Superman and some random purple haired reporter that will probably only last until Future State is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote] I’m gay and I don’t approve of the purple-haired.

Duly noted!

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2021 10:09 PM

[Quote] Is this the same character as Tyler Hoechlin’s fictional son on Lois and Superman?

It's not, but I'm hoping the character could end up bi. Right now, he's being treated as an afterthought because of Jordan.

[Quote] this is selling the fantasy that the undesirable Asian male is worthy enough to be chosen by the desirable white superhero.

Tell me you're an asshole without telling me you're an asshole 🙄

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2021 12:22 PM

R17

They should get together.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2021 12:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!