Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hawaii under blizzard warning as 12 inches of snow and winds up to 100 mph expected

The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning until Sunday morning on the Big Island of Hawaii.

The warning remains in effect from 6 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Sunday as up to 12 inches or more of snow is expected on the island. NWS also warns residents to stay indoors as forecasters predict winds gusting over 100 mph.

"Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility," NWS's weather warning reads.

Aside from the blizzard warning, a Kona low is expected near the islands starting on Saturday night. Kona storms are a type of seasonal cyclone in the Hawaiian Islands, usually formed in the winter from winds coming from the westerly "Kona" direction, according to N. Kona lows often bring about wet and "unsettled" weather.

However, as rare as snowfall seems in Hawaii, in certain mountainous regions it occurs every year.

Last January, snow blanketed a small part of Hawaii's Big Island, which is Hawaii's largest main island. Since the summits of Hawaii's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes both rise over 13,000 feet in elevation, when cold fronts and heavy rains form, snow falls, according to the Weather Channel.

The official coldest temperature witnessed in Hawaii is 12 degrees, which was recorded at the Mauna Kea Observatory on May 17, 1979, according to the Weather Channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2021 10:10 AM

Rofl!

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2021 5:30 PM

Is this an article from "The Onion?"

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2021 5:30 PM

We're in the new Ice Age folks

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2021 5:33 PM

And yet Colorado still hasn't had any snow since last Spring.

This is fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2021 5:34 PM

dumb question but, does Hawaii normally get any snow? I have never wondered that before.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2021 5:36 PM

Here you go, R5.

Big Island of Hawaii, taken from Hilo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2021 5:37 PM

Observatories on top of Hawaii's mountains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2021 5:38 PM

Only on the peaks of the highest mountains. There are pictures of people skiing down the slopes.

From the description in the article it sounds like this is a bigger storm though.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2021 5:38 PM

Snowboarding in Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2021 5:39 PM

Snow on Maui.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2021 5:39 PM

Amazing, thank you r6 and r7! I actually learned something new today!

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2021 5:39 PM

You can go from skiing to snorkeling all in one day!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2021 5:41 PM

In Africa on the equator, the mountains get snow as well.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2021 5:47 PM

I guess I should have known this, I knew South America got snow and parts of Africa. If you had asked me, I would have confidently said Hawaii didn't get snow. Crazy. I hope everything is ok there, it must be pretty scary to get a foot of snow everywhere there if, for the most part, you only normally get snow in the mountains.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2021 5:51 PM

We don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2021 5:51 PM

Same thing can happen in LA. It's not that unusual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] Same thing can happen in LA. It's not that unusual

It's actually unusual for that latitude.

Hawaii is below the Tropic of Cancer, at 19 degrees North Latitude.

LA is at 34 degrees North Latitude.

So that's actually a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2021 6:37 PM

I told you "global warming" was a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2021 6:46 PM

Wont this destroy flora and fauna?

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2021 6:49 PM

Le sigh...

So beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2021 7:25 PM

"Wont this destroy flora and fauna? "

Probably not, that would take a hard freeze for several hours

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2021 8:59 AM

Flora Falauna was my favorite entertainer from the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2021 9:25 AM

Oh no, the Bradys just arrived for their annual Christmas vacation.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2021 9:40 AM

The peak of Mauna Kea is13,803 ft above sea level. It's not like there's going to be a blizzard on Waikiki Beach.

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2021 10:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!