Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's up with the Family Affair credits?

Most TV sitcoms have credit sequences or songs that offer some insight into the plot of the series. Family Affair just featured a graphic of kaleidoscopic rubies and an instrumental by DeVol. What was it supposed to represent? Was there some hidden meaning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2021 11:24 AM

Glamorous gaiety.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2021 4:31 AM

Uncle Bill had a penthou$e

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2021 4:41 AM

Go to bed and stop smoking… you need your pills changed.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2021 4:45 AM

In most families, affairs are covered up with rubies.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2021 4:46 AM

It was Miss Beasley’s idea!

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2021 4:48 AM

Did anyone else find Uncle Bill hot or was that just me? I loved his apartment, you know he scored a ton of pussy before those brats moved in.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2021 4:49 AM

Uncle Bill had a man bear servant, no one thought that was gay back then?

I wanted to be just like him. Oh well, I never go the man bear servant but I did end up in a high-rise condo in a semi-architectural related job. No rug rats.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2021 4:49 AM

The producers were too cheap to hire a lyricist to write a catchy theme that explained the premise of the show or to do a fun animation sequence.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2021 4:49 AM

He was a nice looking man but not as much of a playboy as they made him out to be.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2021 4:50 AM

I think in one of the first episodes, he was in the bathtub and Mr. French was there asking about "his schedule". Wink, Wink. With the ladies of course.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2021 4:52 AM

Mr. French was a sloppy bottom. What do you think he was always caring around that damp towel?

Yeah the kaleidoscope opening is a bit odd compared to opening credits for other shows.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2021 4:53 AM

I didn’t know Sebastian Cabot committed suicide. Ugh I’m going to bed.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2021 4:58 AM

I beg your pardon! Mr. French was a perfect gentleman!

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2021 4:59 AM

I remember watching the show when I was a kid, looking back how it's horribly depressing. Not to mention how everyone died.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2021 5:00 AM

What gayling stuck in suburbia didn't find that opening sequence along with the zesty instrumental to be the height of chic? The fake lens flare to the left of each name just before it was revealed ... the glamorous script letters (and, yes, I noticed that the temporary "John Williams" credit was done in a MISMATCHED font ... how sloppy).

And the double front doors of that apartment with the DOORKNOBS IN THE MIDDLE ... for years I thought all city apartments looked like that.

Adopt me, Uncle Biww. Adopt ME!

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2021 5:01 AM

Brian Keith committed suicide. Coincidentally, his stepmother was Peg Entwistle who was famous for jumping off the Hollywood sign. Sebastian Cabot died from a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2021 5:02 AM

Buffy ODed at 18!

"Buffy Davis on the CBS sitcom Family Affair, which ran from 1966 to 1971. She died from combined drug intoxication at the age of 18"

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2021 5:08 AM

R16 you are correct. I looked up Sebastian Cabot and somehow it defaulted to info about Brian Keith. I didn’t think he died that way, so it was a surprise. Thanks for the clarification.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2021 5:08 AM

So which cable channels show Family Affair nowadays? I don't recall seeing it anywhere for years!

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2021 5:11 AM

Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2021 6:03 AM

The rubies represented the precious blood spilled by Buffy, Jody and Cissy's parents so they could create a family with their closeted uncle and his bossy bear bottom houseboy/man.

Why not?

Meanwhile, IIRC in one episode Cissy had a supercute Puerto Rico boyfriend.

I thought this was very sophisticated and "New York."

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2021 7:01 AM

R15 agree. When I was a kid I thought it was the very height of elegance and sophistication. The spinning glimmering pink jewels with that jaunty harpsichord tune. I would listen to it and pretend to be smoking with a cigarette holder.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2021 7:03 AM

They represented the family jewels, you monsters.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2021 7:08 AM

OP, I never understood it either. The harpsichord sounded so cheap and chintzy.

I think the sparkling jewels and fancy cursive script were supposed to represent the high life that Uncle Bee-Yol lived in Manhattan, but that's as far as I can go with an interpretation.

It's an odd show--supposedly it was meant for children to watch, but the real audience was absolutely the frauen. Children would never identify with grave, dour, unsmiling Buffy and Jody, but hausfrauen in the late 60s thought them adorable (back in the day adults used to think children were cutest when they were being extremely serious--I think because they found children so annoying when they were happy because they were running around and squealing).

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2021 7:09 AM

Jody grew up to be someone who just loved to learn and Buffy turned into someone you’d just love to burn. Uncle Bill loves the both of them, you see it’s in the blood. Both kids love Bill, you see blood’s thicker than the mud, it’s a Family Affair.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2021 7:13 AM

That entire show was the epitome of artificiality. SO out of touch with the times.

It's no wonder Brian Keith killed himself, as did Buffy (basically), and then there's Cissy who wouldn't speak to "Jody" for decades, all because he didn't thank her 20 years earlier for getting him some gig.

F'd up on all accounts.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2021 7:17 AM

And then there's the Brian Keith toupee story...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2021 7:19 AM

Family Affair was very popular in its initial run. And when CBS placed the show on its morning lineup, it was gigantic. Indeed, the frau did seem to eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2021 7:20 AM

For record not everyone believes Brian Keith committed suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2021 9:12 AM

For me the show was all about Mr. French. So proper, understood kids were basically crotch fruit. He wanted nothing to do with them. Ha, Ha, it's like he was channeling the DL before it was conceived.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2021 9:33 AM

Ironically, working as an Architect in NYC is almost impossible. Architecture is one of the lowest paying legitimate professions out there. People think they make a lot of money like a lawyer or doctor but that's so far from reality it's laughable. I know graphic designers who make more than the average architect. It's a high level of responsibility but shitty pay, low job growth, high competition for jobs.

Uncle Bill must have been smuggling in cocaine from is frequent travels to Brazil to be able to afforded a spacious 4 bedroom apartment and a full time butler in Manhattan. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2021 9:40 AM

Things must have changed, poor you!

My husband is a successful architect with offices at 40 Wall Street. We have a lovely home on Park avenue and place in the county (Great Neck, Long Island), each fully staffed with servants.

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2021 9:54 AM

I'm not one to repeat gossip so I'll just say this once but I heard Unco B.O. design the Surfside Champlain Towers

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2021 10:44 AM

r19 It's on DECADES every morning right after "Petticoat Junction." Two episodes. Part of their "60s block.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2021 11:50 AM

The opening was an homage to the fact CBS was going all color that year. CBS wanted everything to be colorful to compete with NBC's Peacock which was already in color.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2021 11:58 AM

[quote]And then there's the Brian Keith toupee story...

Johnny Whitaker, who played Jody had only nice things to say about Brian Keith, EXCEPT, he said, "There was one rule regarding him, NEVER touch his hair."

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2021 12:01 PM

[quote]Ironically, working as an Architect in NYC is almost impossible

He was a civil engineer and they make quite good money. I know two that live in Manhattan today and make the $$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2021 12:04 PM

Psychedelia...it was the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2021 12:07 PM

That theme song was the best thing on TV ever. It was very Auntie Mame.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2021 12:30 PM

r38

In part but it was really about CBS promoting color. Besides the sister show "My Three Sons," had a similar stupid instrumental.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2021 2:13 PM

R35, but it was an opening more in line with 'The Lucy Show', not some bore-fest starring Brian Keith.

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2021 2:46 PM

R6, thanks for making my morning with your comment!

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2021 3:04 PM

Yes, Uncle Bill was an engineer, NOT an architect.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2021 3:08 PM

[quote]Yeah the kaleidoscope opening is a bit odd compared to opening credits for other shows.

Tell me about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2021 3:32 PM

Ridiculous show about kids, but made for adults who wished their own kids were as innocuous and charming. It had a 9:30 EST/PST time slot when little kids the same age as Buffy and Jody would have been in bed.

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2021 8:37 PM

There was a short-lived remake in 2002 with Gary Cole and Tim Curry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2021 8:45 PM

It's been mentioned before, but Family Affair was DARK for a sitcom in its day. The biggest example is when Eve Plumb guest-starred as Buffy's classmate Eve, who had a terminal illness. The Davis family had an early Christmas for her, and late in the episode Unca Biww said to French or Cissy "I'm sure the kids don't know why."

Cut to Buffy in her bed, sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2021 12:32 AM

The opening is very British...I wouldn't have expected that on a U.S. television show (comedy or non). Not even in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2021 12:41 AM

I loved that opening, and the show. Even the pre-Bradys very Astroturf-grassed park the kids always went to meet and play with their friends at. As a late-Boomer gayling, I adored and dreamed of one day living in huge apartment resembling theirs and daydreamed of living over beautiful Park Ave. twinkling brightly alive at night as shown in that stock footage that opened many of the show's scenes. Mary and Gay, yes, but very late 1960s cool and fun for me. :) And as mentioned upthread, the show was big in reruns on CBS on weekday mornings when it went into syndication. I miss the Decades Channel my cable provider no longer carries, including because last I had it almost 2 years ago, I believe that channel was airing reruns of the show. Fun TV-watching childhood memories. And Brian Keith -- "Punish me, and then hug and kiss me forgivingly, Daddy!"

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]He was a civil engineer and they make quite good money. I know two that live in Manhattan today and make the $$$$$$$$$

Well they make more than Architects but not that much more. The average pay scale today is about 80,000 in a big city. That is NOT RICH by any standard. And no way could you afford a 3 bedroom apartment right in the center of Manhattan along with a personal man servant. Uncle Bill was supposed to be rich.

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2021 11:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!