Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which was Mia Farrow's Best Performance?

She's one of the greats, imo. I'm torn between her turns in Rosemary's Baby and Hannah and Her Sisters. In RB, she seemed miscast as Ira Levin described his character as a corn-fed midwestern girl similar to Jane Fonda or Tuesday Weld. Still, Farrow's physical appearance worked tremendously well as a frail waif, almost like Bambi in a field of vicious hunters. The film is a classic because of her performance. In Hannah, her work is very subtle. Near the beginning, she delivers a lot of exposition about her character with the ease of a master. When she's confronted with her husband's infidelity, she shows the internal struggle that nearly destroys the strength she puts on for her dysfunctional family.

Farrow is an under-appreciated gem. Keep your pro-Woody comments to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 1:36 AM

Radio Days

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2021 5:31 AM

OP, I agree with your assessment. Sociopaths make for wonderful actresses.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2021 5:35 AM

"Death on the Nile". Very spooky and disturbing in a key role.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2021 5:36 AM

Yes r3! Her appearance on the pyramid or sphinx or whatever it was is really memorable.

I'd vote for Rosemary since she's so great in it and it is a great film.

She also made an amazing transformation for Broadway Danny Rose.

Odd she never got a nomination. I read Frank Sinatra asked people not to vote for her for Rosemary (true?) yet she remained on good terms with him? I guess compared to Woody he was the lesser evil.

Broadway Danny Rose she was beat by all those farm women. She should have been there instead of Spacek who really is a supporting actress in that film, the River.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2021 5:44 AM

I think she was robbed of the Oscar for Broadway Danny Rose. She captured both the comedy and the pathos of the character. A wonderful movie and a wonderful performance.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2021 5:55 AM

"Which was Mia Farrow's Best Performance?"

Model wife and mother

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2021 6:01 AM

She has a brother named Michael Damien Farrow.

It's all for you Damien!

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2021 6:04 AM

I think her role in "The Purple Rose of Cairo" was amazing.

A relatively little-known but highly effective VO work - the lead character in "The Last Unicorn".

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2021 6:18 AM

Pretending not to mind when 247 year old Frank Sinatra couldn’t get it up on their wedding night.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2021 6:21 AM

She was so wonderful in so many different roles and yet MIA IS BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2021 7:13 AM

I really liked her in Widow's Peak, and of course Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2021 7:40 AM

As a loving mother.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2021 7:43 AM

She stole my husband, then used one of my songs to brainwash her daughter

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2021 8:14 AM

These poll options suck. Where's Secret Ceremony? See No Evil? The Haunting of Julia?

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2021 8:26 AM

I agree that she (and her Sassoon haircut) greatly contributed to Rosemary’s Baby being a classic, but her best work was with Allen. Unfair that there were no nominations.

She was miscast in Death on the Nile (but gave a good, feverish performance anyway).

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2021 9:07 AM

I wonder what roles she'd have had in Allen's films if they had stayed together.

Would she have been Helen Sinclair in Bullets over Broadway? (maybe the Tracey Ullman part would have fit better.)

I do love in Alice how the Chinese opium den gives her the pipe to smoke and she's like oh no I couldn't and then she takes a puff. This is the part I think is so funny. She then says obsessed, could you hold the pipe straight please. One puff and she's hooked.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2021 9:13 AM

I liked her performance in Kick Me In The Cunt Bone best.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2021 9:49 AM

Is she really that bad a person?

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2021 2:06 PM

She's always been serviceable, and good in the right roles, but nothing moving by herself. Very beautiful in that waif way when she was young. Rosemary's Baby is her only Oscar worthy performance, and she was quite good in the Allen movies, but usually was outshone by the rest of the cast except perhaps Broadway Danny Rose.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2021 3:33 PM

She's a mediocre actress. No best involved.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2021 3:43 PM

She was pretty good in "Fingering Dylan's Fingerer."

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2021 3:49 PM

Since Charlotte Rampling and Isabelle Huppert got nominated, she's probably the performer who has never been nominated who is the most surprising (just because she's done so many famous films and been around for so long). I mean, everyone else got one for one of Woody's films. Or maybe Irene Papas who was in all those big films too.

She's not the most inherently gifted actor, but I think her best performances are Rosemary's Baby, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Broadway Danny Rose, The Last Unicorn, and Husbands and Wives in which she showed a lot of growth as a performer (more naturalistic in the documentary style scenes).

September was derided when it was released, but I actually think she strikes the right balance of histrionic and raw in it. And I think she's underrated in John and Mary opposite Dustin Hoffman. She barely works any more, but she was very funny in Dark Horse and the 90s teen movie Coming Soon - I wish she had explored her eccentric comedic side more. She could play a great 'batty' old woman on a TV series or something.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2021 3:51 PM

I understand what you mean, r19, but an actor who let the others shine can be underrated. She was extremely good in Hanna and her Sisters, Another Woman, Alice, Husbands and Wives (specially) , which are more or less ensemble casts. I don’t see her in late Woody Allen , though (where the women are generally younger).

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2021 3:55 PM

She won Best Actress from the National Board of Review for Alice which resulted in a GG nom (musical/comedy) but no other nominations.

From Hannah and Her Sisters, I always wondered why she wasn't in the awards conversation. Her performance in Broadway Danny Rose was highly praised. But I think there's always been a bias against her - probably to do with the Frank Sinatra thing. And of course now she'd never be considered award-worthy unless it was Biggest Lying Cunt On The Planet or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2021 4:34 PM

her best performances never made it on film, but was re-enacted by Kirstie Alley in the film Deconstructing Harry

watch below this is Mia played by Kirstie Alley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2021 8:30 PM

I nominate her press conferences and statements in her accusations against Allen...

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2021 8:42 PM

Mia had that great scene with Soon-Yi where she pushed her down the stairs and Soon-Yi wished she had a stunt double.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2021 8:53 PM

I hope Mia googles herself and finds this fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2021 8:54 PM

[quote] Mia had that great scene with Soon-Yi where she pushed her down the stairs and Soon-Yi wished she had a stunt double.

Actually she beat the crap out of Soon-Yi with a telephone. This is a story Mia herself confirmed in her book, after her Nanny spilled the beans in her book.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2021 9:00 PM

How about an honorary Oscar or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award?

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2021 9:28 PM

Did she just give up on men after Allen?

She was only in her forties when they broke up.

She seems to have just given up on men.

(and collected children.)

Her relationship with Ronan and pushing him into college and law school at a young age and isn't there some weird story about getting his legs broken to make him taller.?

BTW I once asked Ronan on Twitter so who do you really think is your father, Woody or Frank. HE BLOCKED ME!

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2021 1:22 AM

I love her in her mostly silent role (played for laughs!) as the jealous disturbed sister in "A Wedding."

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2021 1:24 AM

Ronan sang along with his fiancé on his podcast the week before last proving once and for all that he’s Woody Allen’s son.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2021 12:23 PM

R33. That doesn't mean much. Have you ever listened to Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2021 6:19 PM

The meta casting of having her play Mrs. Baylock in the remake of The Omen was sort of a cool idea BUT she was too sweet and chirpy and not terrifying at all like Billie Whitelaw in the original. Man, Whitelaw was fierce.

I was going to say she should have been nominated for an Oscar. She should have. I checked an the Brits nominated her for some things including a BAFTA which she lost to Jodie Foster for Taxi Driver and Bugsy Malone.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2021 1:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!