Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why the cuisines of western world are much less spicy than Asian or Latin American cuisines ?

Asian cuisines are quite varied ranging from very spicy to spicy to mildly spicy but most of the Western cuisines are quite bland devoid of spices. Black pepper is the only spice that is used to bring hotness to food compared to Asian cuisines where there are a thousand different type of peppers and other ingredients which add a lot of flavor to food.

What gives ?

Let's play a game. Can you name at least one row and one column of spices in this pic ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2021 10:49 PM

Spices used to be used more prominently in western cuisine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2021 10:41 PM

Spices are for rotten food, poor quality, and offal. There’s no need for that if the food is already good.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2021 10:46 PM

Another theory is that spicy food is common in hot climates because it makes the body sweat and thus cool down. In China, spicy food is only prevalent in the hot provinces and cities like Sichuan and Chongqing. Southeast Asia and India eat Spicy food, but its less common in the much colder Nepal and Bhutan. Latin American food is spicy, but the more temperate Argentina and Bolivia do not. The only non hot country I can think of that really eats spicy food is Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2021 10:57 PM

Latin American cuisines aren't particularly spicy. Even Thai food is pretty mild compared to Chinese food. I think the spiciest cuisines are Sichuanese and Korean. The spiciest dish I have ever been served was hot pot at a restaurant Chongching, China. My eyes watered the entire time and I had the shits for 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2021 11:03 PM

The capsaicin in peppers helps metabolize starchy foods, e.g., beans, corn and rice.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2021 11:07 PM

I thought spicy foods have become more prevalent in tropical climates given capsaicin's antimicrobial properties, especially with lack of "refrigeration" afforded in colder climates for food storage

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2021 11:34 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote] The only non hot country I can think of that really eats spicy food is Korea.

We don't think your so hot, either, R3.

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2021 12:22 AM

Peppers are from the new world. Until Columbus, the only heat in Asia was from peppercorns.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2021 12:34 AM

White people food is as boring as white people.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2021 5:03 PM

R10 We agree

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2021 5:10 PM

So they think they are boring as well all of those people are white, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2021 10:18 PM

We're above the equator in a temperate zone. We historically have had no need of hot spices to make us perspire in order to feel cooler with the evaporation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2021 10:22 PM

I used to hate spicy food when I was a kid. Now, as an adult, food is so tasteless unless it’s spicy

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2021 10:29 PM

[quote] Why the cuisines of western world are much less spicy than Asian or Latin American cuisines ?

Latin America isn't in the Western World? When did that happen?

Did you mean first world, but tried to be PC about it?

Also, you forgot an "are."

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2021 10:36 PM

R10:

Why the cuisines of western world are much less spicy than Asian or Latin American cuisines ? White people food is as boring as white people.

Greatest Work of All Time? Xavier Hollander- The Happy Hooker

We can't take you gays anywhere! To think, you're making NESTS in the dunes, clutching my pearls for sure and fanning myself!

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2021 10:40 PM

As noted every time someone posts a racist thread like this, the fact that Northern European cuisines haven't had the need to cover up the stink of rotten food from hot climates, poor food management, and unfortunate squalor must be repeated.

However, anyone who things "western world" cuisines are less spicy knows nothing about the cuisines of the "western world."

OP needs to have capsicum rubbed into her eyes just before being dropped into the grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2021 10:44 PM

Latin American cuisine is not spicy outside of Mexico and a couple of nearby countries

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2021 10:46 PM

Also Latin America is a western continet you imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2021 10:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!