Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone else think Paul Newman was too perfect looking?

He was obviously a good looking man who aged very well but something is missing for me. I’m just not crazy about his looks like everyone else is.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2021 2:46 AM

Not too perfect looking. His face was quite lined by the 1960s. He was still hot. And his hair beat a retreat early too.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2021 6:59 PM

I actually think Robert Redford was better looking than Newman.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2021 7:02 PM

Redford was the one who was too "perfect looking" to be attractive. Newman had something bubbling under there that made him fuckable. I've never been into the famous pretty boys, save Montgomery Clift.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2021 7:04 PM

R2 same here same

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2021 7:08 PM

He really had to work hard to emit the sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2021 7:12 PM

R4 Dare I say it, I found Warren Beatty in Splendor in the Grass more attractive than Newman in any role.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2021 7:12 PM

And I think Robert Redford had a more natural sexuality on screen.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2021 7:12 PM

I never thought Redford was great looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2021 7:15 PM

R8 I was referring to Redford in films like Barefoot in the Park and The Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2021 7:16 PM

Brando and Alain Delon also had these perfect faces, but they had something more,something magic. For Brando, there is all this testosterone and for Delon there was something that I cannot even define but I will say wild?

Yes Paul Newman was so handsome, but I am like you OP, there is something missing in him.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Brando and Dean do it for me partly because they weren’t perfect and had an edge to them. With Newman I’m missing that.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Newman was gorgeous but for some reason lacked sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Newman looked like a statue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2021 7:17 PM

But there was also a lot of life in his eyes... and mischief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2021 7:18 PM

R3 Clift was really gorgeous before the car accident.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2021 7:24 PM

R12 I thought he had sex appeal in Paris Blues and Sweet Bird of Youth.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2021 7:26 PM

Clift looked like a Thunderbird puppet.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2021 7:26 PM

DLers confuse good looks with sexual charisma.

Which is why there are thousands of superb specimens in soap operas and night time dramas who the general public do not accept on the big screen as movie idols (back in the day when movie idols exist).

Newman is terrible when he was to work his sex appeal, like in Hud, where, as in r14, he smirked and strutted and worked the baby blues for all he was worth but it did the film a disservice and he wasn’t a good enough actor to make it work.

Brando didn’t have a perfect face at all. He was very handsome, but his magnetism was all about his energy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2021 7:28 PM

Newman had sex appeal, he just wasn't whorish like Brando or... Tom Hardy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2021 7:30 PM

R13 People act like Newman had the best looking face of all time, but I don’t see it all (judging by this pic).

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2021 7:32 PM

Who would be your pic, r20?

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2021 7:38 PM

I know you're going to hate me but the young David Bowie turns me on a thousand times more than Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2021 7:40 PM

R21 Who had the best looking face? If we’re talking Old Hollywood men, I’d have to go with Farley Granger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2021 7:40 PM

You're probably into Harry Styles as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2021 7:41 PM

Granger's lips were too much. Almost Charles Laughton like in their overabundance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2021 7:43 PM

R24 NO NO NO, I'm not. Never. Ever. Bowie really had somethingon stage on clips. David Styles is an average Briton that I would never look back on.

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2021 7:44 PM

^something on stage

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2021 7:44 PM

Was it Bowie pretending to fellate Mick Ronson's guitar that did it for you?

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2021 7:45 PM

I read the thread title out of the corner of my eye and thought it was about Phyllis Newman. After all, this is the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2021 7:45 PM

R25 Lol I see what you mean, but I still think he was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2021 7:47 PM

Granger could look mouth watering. And I think he aged well. But I don't think he was as photogenic as Newman.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2021 7:48 PM

R28 Hmmm I think the story about sexual romance between Bowie and Jagger is more exciting. But that's just me. Isn't he attractive here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2021 7:49 PM

There is a safety about Paul Newman's looks. He was absolutely beautiful but he's similar to the hot preppy high school dad who plays tennis and everyone lusts for him (moms, daughters, teachers, gaylings.) And he flirts back with everyone!

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2021 7:53 PM

R33 Reminds me of Brad Pitt, who I’m also not crazy about.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2021 7:54 PM

Marlon was very sensual and hot but you know he would degrade you and leave you feeling dirty.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2021 7:54 PM

R34, I understand. I do think Paul is more beautiful than Brad, but I would not turn either one of them down.

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2021 7:56 PM

R17 Turn in the gay card, now! Monty was beautiful before the wreck, and I think his sex appeal is rooted in how much of a vulnerable, screwed up mess he obviously was. You want to take care of him.

It's funny that Alain Delon has been mentioned in this thread as an example of a gorgeous man with sexual charisma, when he totally leaves me cold. In the realm of 60s French actors, I'd let the young Jean-Paul Belmondo (RIP) have it any way. He was "Hollywood" ugly but unbelievably sexy. Amazing body.....

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2021 7:57 PM

True that Belmondo had more sex appeal when he was young but Delon never left me cold. He can be annoying, but he doesn't leave many people indifferent. There is something unique about him That no one else has. His beauty and charisma were not ordinary in the cinema. world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2021 8:05 PM

That "safe" comment applies more to Redford. Newman often played men outside the law, and not always the cool type. He would be more up for playing a "fallen" man than Redford (e.g. Newman's Tennessee Williams roles). Didn't Newman tried to make a movie of "The Front Runner." Safe? No, that's Redford.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2021 8:29 PM

Delon and Granger have elements of the painted tart. That's a turn on to some, of course. But a dead turn off to others.

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2021 8:30 PM

Idk what this says about me but I’ve always been a James Dean girl.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2021 8:31 PM

Naaaah, when I click on this pic he definitely doesn't leave me cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2021 8:32 PM

Gregory Peck was really handsome too.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2021 8:33 PM

[Quote] Idk what this says about me but I’ve always been a James Dean girl.

That says you enjoy Old Teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2021 8:33 PM

R44 I think I’m just into twinks. Because I like Farley Granger too.

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2021 8:34 PM

Granger does not play in the Delon ligue. I'm not even sure the rest of the world knows who Grander is. The whole world knows Delon. Even in the farthest reaches of China or Africa. Brando has the same success everywhere around the world.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2021 8:37 PM

"Rope" is probably a better known movie than anything Delon headlined.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2021 8:39 PM

R48 Granger didn’t have much of a career and name recognition, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2021 8:39 PM

R48 Certainly, but it does not reach the tip of the feet of Delon. There is not even a match, Delon will win hands down, not only for his beauty but also for his talent.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Are you Madonna? Delon is not on the level of a Brando or Monroe or Hepburn. He was a beauty but he hasn't got their iconic status.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2021 8:43 PM

R50 I think his look is iconic tho, certainly on Brando’s level.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2021 8:44 PM

R50 I hate Madge. Try harder. You must live in autarky to think that only Americans are successful in the rest of the world. Take a look at the Internet all around the world and you will see how successful Delon is. Granger Who? Sorry I had never heard of him before this groupie thread that you are. Now it's time to leave this thread. You've spent your time bashing every actor who wasn't Granger that anyone but you knows. I know what people like you do on the DL. I'm already gone. Bye honey.

by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2021 8:48 PM

I didn't put forth Granger, hon.

by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Alain Delon, like Brigitte Bardot, should’ve died when they were young and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Bardot is still influential, though. I remember Kylie Minogue and Kate Moss doing Bardot looks. Claudia Schiffer too.

by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2021 8:52 PM

I can't think of any men who've "done" Delon. (And I don't mean fucked him.)

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2021 8:52 PM

R56 This image of Delon has over 600,000 notes on Tumblr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 11, 2021 8:54 PM

Yeah, it's now about french bashing. How childish and stupid. The proof is that every American actresses copied her style. Bardot is the Brando of women, no one can compete with her. Keep raging

by Anonymousreply 58November 11, 2021 8:55 PM

We could probably find a similar one for Helmut Berger. That still doesn't put him on the level of a Brando.

by Anonymousreply 59November 11, 2021 8:56 PM

How is it French bashing. Isn't Bardot French?

by Anonymousreply 60November 11, 2021 8:56 PM

Pretty face but scrawny arms and legs.

by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2021 8:57 PM

R58 Brando was many things, but he wasn’t a bigot like Bardot.

by Anonymousreply 62November 11, 2021 8:57 PM

Can we get back to Paul Newman, the subject of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 63November 11, 2021 8:58 PM

It's true, he preferred incest. R62

by Anonymousreply 64November 11, 2021 8:58 PM

Scrawny?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 11, 2021 9:01 PM

John Woo was obsessed with Alain Delon. There are all kinds of references to him in the 80s and 90s movies Woo made.

by Anonymousreply 66November 11, 2021 9:01 PM

Paul Newman gets excessive praise for his looks because of his body and eye color.

by Anonymousreply 67November 11, 2021 9:02 PM

You don't even have to see his eyes to behold his beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 11, 2021 9:04 PM

R68 Tiny lips

by Anonymousreply 69November 11, 2021 9:04 PM

No, hon. That's just how he's holding his mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 11, 2021 9:06 PM

I am not attracted to men who look too perfect, but I don’t think Newman was in that category. I find him charming, and he aged well.

by Anonymousreply 71November 11, 2021 9:07 PM

Delon would probably just lie there and expect to be worshipped in bed. He seems like a sociopath too, what with how he openly treated his son with Nico. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 72November 11, 2021 9:44 PM

Jealousy is so pathetic...Someone here is accusing others of being sociopath when he behaves like a psychopathic fanatic just because no one else than him thinks Granger is beautiful. No one.

Pathetic. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 73November 11, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]Newman was gorgeous but for some reason lacked sex appeal.

R12, I would agree if weren’t for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, but that’s the only time I thought he had "sexual charisma."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 11, 2021 9:54 PM

R54 I think they have something to tell you that sounds like a 'fuck you'.

Wishing death on people is what indoctrinated teens do on twitter. DL is a website for gay adults, you know that right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 11, 2021 10:02 PM

Newman was like a Roman or Greek statue. His looks were off the charts when he was young, with tons of sex appeal (to me, anyway). I agree that he aged out of his looks somewhat quickly, but was still quite handsome into the 70s and even when he was older.

Warren Beatty, for me, had a short shelf life. Beyond Bonnie & Clyde, he did nothing for me. But he was hot as hell in Splendor In the Grass and Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone.

Brando also aged quickly out of being hot. He was pure sex in Streetcar Named Desire, but I find him not sexy at all in On The Waterfront.

A lot of actors really did not age very well back in those days.

by Anonymousreply 76November 11, 2021 10:03 PM

R75 I wasn’t wishing death on them genius. I was pointing out their legacies would’ve benefited from them dying when they were still young and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 77November 11, 2021 10:06 PM

The problem with Newman wasn't his looks, he was a stunner but one who didn't look out of place with the real world. The problem was that he wasn't a terribly good actor, and rarely had chemistry with other actors.

Same with Redford.

by Anonymousreply 78November 11, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote] [R12], I would agree if weren’t for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, but that’s the only time I thought he had "sexual charisma.

What made COAHTR sexy was Liz Taylor - the prettiest girl in the world in her prime - going overtime with sexual desire. She provided probably 85% of the heat he emitted.

by Anonymousreply 79November 11, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]What made COAHTR sexy was Liz Taylor - the prettiest girl in the world in her prime - going overtime with sexual desire. She provided probably 85% of the heat he emitted.

Definitely agree with this but he was also pretty good on his own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 11, 2021 11:50 PM

Belmondo and Morricone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 11, 2021 11:50 PM

Newman could give you a good performance, but he lacked consistency. Some of his work is as bad as some of it was good.

Redford, OTOH, is a true cipher onscreen. I can’t imagine why he was nominated for Best Actor for The Sting. That was just as mystifying as Ali McGraw’s nod was for Love Story.

by Anonymousreply 82November 12, 2021 1:06 AM

He was very attractive but not perfect-looking. I find he had some ruggedness and could look like a good-looking man you would find on the street. Perfect looking would be like Matt Bomer or Henry Cavill who are completely unrelatable and look like walking mannequins.

by Anonymousreply 83November 14, 2021 2:45 AM

Brad Pitt is another who fits perfect-looking better. Never had to work hard at anything in his life. He did a few interesting and off-kilter roles to stand out and not be seen as a Hollywood poolboy who got lucky then discarded once he became a movie star. Zac Efron is another.

As good-looking as Paul Newman was, he still had this everyman quality to him. His face still had lines and signs of sun damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 14, 2021 2:53 AM

Walking mannequins don't have T-Rex arms.

by Anonymousreply 85November 14, 2021 3:00 AM

Brad Pitt chose wisely. It was not merely luck. Zac Efron is not comparable. And Zac hasn't even been married once, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 86November 14, 2021 3:01 AM

Newman also didn't have a ton of plastic surgery as he got older, which ruined the faces of some of his contemporaries, including Redford. He may have had a few light procedures done, but otherwise he kept it simple. Reportedly he used to dunk his face in ice water before takes to firm it up.

by Anonymousreply 87November 14, 2021 4:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 14, 2021 5:43 AM

I’m not into blonde, blue eyes look. I like white men with darker features.

by Anonymousreply 89November 14, 2021 5:47 AM

I love his nose.

by Anonymousreply 90November 14, 2021 6:38 AM

Handsome but little sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2021 6:45 AM

R18. Yes, looks and sexual charisma are completely different things. Newman was a good-looking man and he aged well. But I don't think he's sexy at all. His sexiness in a role was more about acting a character than anything natural. Sexual charisma definitely comes from personality. It's not dependent on surface appearance (see Liam Neeson). If you don't have it naturally, you can't fake it.

Delon was beautiful and his sexiness didn't seem forced. The thing that was unappealing about him to me were his eyes. Pretty shape and long lashes, sure, yet they also looked cold and cruel. His youth couldn't hide that.

by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2021 6:46 AM

Being good-looking, photogenic, sexy, and charismatic are all different things. Newman was good-looking, photogenic, and charismatic, but not sexy.

Jack Nicholson, by contrast, wasn't good-looking, but he was charismatic, sexy, and photogenic. The camera loved him even though he wasn't good-looking, funny who it fancies.

by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote] He may have had a few light procedures done, but otherwise he kept it simple.

Paul Newman had a full facelift.

by Anonymousreply 94November 14, 2021 8:33 AM

Newman had some work done. Good work though.

Delon was beautiful but he looked very French. He's an asshole but I don't think how he looks had anything to do with his personality. A lot of Europeans can appear bitchy and aloof to American eyes because of cultural mannerisms.

Brando had a busted nose and was short but exuded sex appeal. Steve McQueen was very sexy too, rugged and masculine.

by Anonymousreply 95November 14, 2021 1:01 PM

R95 If you knew how shallow, ignorant and imperialist Americans can seem to the French and Europeans in general, you would calm down real quick. Delon was georgeous and like all gorgeous French stars it was America that came to lick his dick to get him into an American movie. He hesitated for years, he finally accepted but it was a big fail. He did not like the American way of working. Cinema was born in France, not in your country, so who is arrogant here? He is a star all over the world and America will not change that. I don't know if you've ever been anywhere out of your little American township but European men are much more handsome and elegant. They are more cultivated, they are not obese either. After all Americans white men come from Europe, you know that, right? Brando was right on American people, you all were raised to think you are the best of the humanity when in fact you are destroying the entire world. This is what I bitchy and aloof.

by Anonymousreply 96November 14, 2021 1:53 PM

^This is what i call

by Anonymousreply 97November 14, 2021 1:54 PM

R18 Totally agree with you

by Anonymousreply 98November 14, 2021 1:56 PM

R96 What was the point of that lecture? I was just saying Americans may not understand why French and other Europeans seem so stoic and have neutral face and may perceive it as rude and stuck up. Paul Newman had a very American look, happy and smiling a lot. Alain did not. Everything you said was completely irrelevant and just makes you sound like an ignorant elitist. But, hey, if it helps you feel better about yourself than continue your condescension.

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2021 1:16 AM

Jared Leto has an Alain Delon look about him.

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2021 3:56 AM

You can keep Delon and his right wing beliefs. He should move in with his fellow cinematic bigot, that haggard cunt Brigitte Bardot.

by Anonymousreply 101November 16, 2021 12:52 AM

Paul Newman was hot as fuck in Cool Hand Luke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 16, 2021 1:28 AM

Hell no. But actually I’m no so into in when he was going - his face was too skinny. 70s/80s Paul Newman is for me. He looked his best in Absence of Malice/The Verdict.

Even with help, damn he aged so beautifully and gracefully. He’s tiny though I saw him once in person at Sarabeth’s.

by Anonymousreply 103November 16, 2021 1:37 AM

I think Rock Hudson, Farley Granger, Robert Redford and Warren Beatty were closer to perfect looking for the time. Like Ken dolls.

Brando, Dean, Newman and Clift all had some approachability to them. They could get rugged and fit the part. Newman lacked the tortured soul look that the others had though.

Modern examples of too perfect looking would be Rob Lowe, Henry Cavill, Matt Bomer, Mario Lopez and most of the IG/TikTok hoes who get acting roles now.

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2021 8:06 PM

Redford said he was grateful for having bad skin because otherwise he would have been "too pretty" to play many of the roles he played.

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2021 8:09 PM

How tiresome, OP. Why don't you do some volunteer work or at least SOMETHING moderately productive?

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2021 8:10 PM

Lookalike Landon Michaels/Marcus Mojo proves Newman could have had a successful gay porn career!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2021 8:10 PM

Tab Hunter is the one whose looks could kill if a smile were a weapon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2021 8:12 PM

R108 that’s not a nose any man should have.

R105 realizing now that it annoys me when good looking actors know it. I much prefer the false modesty.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2021 8:15 PM

[quote] realizing now that it annoys me when good looking actors know it. I much prefer the false modesty.

LOL. It does seem obnoxious, but he was sort of giving himself a backhanded compliment. Also, he seems to be the type of guy who would regard being "pretty" as mortifying.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2021 8:18 PM

Luke Evans said something similar.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2021 8:29 PM

I don’t think he was perfect looking at all. His charm was that he looked like a good looking normal guy. His hair was rather thin already by “cat on. Hot tin roof” and he looked already closer to 50 than 20 despite the fact he was only about 30. Yet he was a good looking 50. And he kept this look for a long stretch. Delon for example looked gorgeous for maybe a few years in the late 50s - early 60s but had lost it by the late 60s in my opinion. Hell, I would do Newman in the verdict even. He was good looking long into the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2021 9:14 PM

Redford makes me laugh…he never really acts in films; he merely hangs out in them.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2021 2:44 AM

Redford's ridiculous wig at r8 is what's making me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2021 2:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!